And the most overrated sh*t of the year goes to...

• 147 results
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Dragon Age Inquisition.

After 80h in, I hate this game even more than in the beginning.

Dragon Age Inquisition is a game that has been intended as an MMO but has been turned into a single player game at the last moment (I had found out about it lately searching for answers in internet and this explains a lot why this game sucks so much.). Complete travesty of an RPG. Complete disgrace to its Origins.

Like any run-down MMO, Dragon Age Inquisition features

1. huge expansive locations where you hunt for useless collectibles such as useless runes and useless stardoms and kill constantly re spawning monsters.

2. closing rifts that give nothing but inquisition scores that you use to unlock other MMO areas

3. collecting herbs and metals for crafting and upgrades. Some upgrades cost no joking grinding like collecting 50 herbs which you collect ONE BY ONE FIFTY F*CKING TIMES

4. monster being a damage sponges. LIke for real, my most powerful archer makes over 3000 damage with a special shot. Do you know how many health it removes from monsters ? 1/4th. With your most powerful attack you can only one shot one kill bunnies on the meadow.

5. all your actions are just are mapped to the lower bar like in a MMO and have cooldowns. But you know what, you only have 8 of cells to map for your abilities, and by the end of the game you have over 8 F*CKING ABILITIES. So Yeh, UI is f*cking great that you can't use all your abilities in the same time, you need to remap them constantly. F*CKING GENIUS. GAME OF THE YEAR. SO GOOD GAME DESIGNING CHOICES.

6. There are basically no secondary quests. I REPEAT NO SECONDARY QUESTS IN THE GAME. Secondary quests are just a bunch of fetch quests that you get from reading scrolls in the game and that ask you to collect some herbs or click on some piece of scenery...well you get an idea...LIKE IN THE F*CKING MMO. In consequence, there are no choices in the game beyond the main quest line. Cinematics are also only provided for the main quest line. For all other quests you just read walls of text like in... suprise surprise...a MMO

You see the problem. The only playable part of the game is the MAIN QUEST LINE. The rest of the game is just grinding to get your levels high enough for the quests of the main quest line.

If you remeber, all secondary quests in Dragon Age Origins or Baldurs Gate have been hand crafted and plots of some of them were quite epic by itself.

7. Gone RPG elements like stats, you know, strength, wisdom, dexterity. Why do you even need them, 12 abilities per class will be more than enough. Lol at Baldur's Gate with its hundreds of spells and multi class specializations. Lol at pickpocketing or trap disarming.

The only thing Bioware took care of was taking two big suitcases to IGN and Gamespot ; ) Guess which was the content.

Dragon Age Inquisition is even worse than Dragon Age 2. Incredible but true.

I just keep asking one thing: How...how bioware was able to get away with it once again ? I mean, after Dragon Age 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Bioware RPG's are overrated.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

You just Described Every RPG.... Pretty Much.

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cyclops10
Member since 2004 • 696 Posts

Plays game for over 80 hours despite disliking it.

You know what that makes you, right?

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: That's a very nice opinion you have there, we all care so much about it. I myself really enjoy DA:I, I believe it is the best in the series and my favorite RPG since Kotor. The majority of people seem to really enjoy it. A good example of something overrated is Bioshock infinite, where critics say it's legendary but most people realize that the gameplay is between poor and average.

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cyclops10

Whining about Bioware buying their GS/IGN reviews despite pretty much every major gaming site giving the game good reviews lol.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@cyclops10 said:

Whining about Bioware buying their GS/IGN reviews despite pretty much every major gaming site giving the game good reviews lol.

Check the user reviews though. It's around 5-6.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You do realize that having 8 skill slots is a design choice...right? You're suppose to pick and choose abilities that fit your playstyle. Characters would be very overpowered if they had every skill avaliable at will.

There are side quests besides ones involving fetch quests. The game is packed with content, you should be doing what you want to do(like in Skyrim.)

Saying Inquisition is better then DA2 is like saying Deus Ex: Invisible War is better then Human Revolution.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Destiny.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Shadow of Mordor the thread

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Has nice aesthetic and great story, characters, immersive world. Good enough for me.

Most MMOs are ugly as hell and feel inconsistent and lacking in direction.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@JangoWuzHere said:

You do realize that having 8 skill slots is a design choice...right? You're suppose to pick and choose abilities that fit your playstyle. Characters would be very overpowered if they had every skill avaliable at will.

There are side quests besides ones involving fetch quests. The game is packed with content, you should be doing what you want to do(like in Skyrim.)

Saying Inquisition is better then DA2 is like saying Deus Ex: Invisible War is better then Human Revolution.

OH So great design choice. They must have been working on this for montsh. Only strangely that 8 skills coincide with the capacity of a controller. You just can't map more skills to it. So they had in mind a huge MMO with multiple skills but they needed it to work on consoles too. So they just nailed down console controls upon an MMO design.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere

@jhonMalcovich said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

OH So great design choice. They must have been working on this for month. Only strangely 8 skills coincide with the capacity of a controller. You just can't map more skills to it. So the had in mind a huge MMO with multiple skills but they needed i to work on cosnoles too. So they just nailed down console controls to an MMO.

You keep labeling DA:I as an MMO like that's a bad thing.

If they wanted you to use more skills, then they could easily do that on a controller. They give you 8 skills so that you actually have to make decisions in how combat operates.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@cyclops10

I did the samething..... Infact i was playing Dragons Dogma while explaining to my friend just how shitty it is...... This is over 200 hours into the game. This happened a few hours ago... And I'm going to keep playing it and hating every moment of it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I thought that Destiny was the most overrated shit of the year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

IT was very MMO like and lacked choice quests ... it was weird... didn't feel like a Dragon age game barely...

that ebing said, was still decent.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@JangoWuzHere said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

OH So great design choice. They must have been working on this for month. Only strangely 8 skills coincide with the capacity of a controller. You just can't map more skills to it. So the had in mind a huge MMO with multiple skills but they needed i to work on cosnoles too. So they just nailed down console controls to an MMO.

If they wanted you to use more skills, then they could easily do that on a controller. They give you 8 skills so that you actually have to make decisions in how combat operates.

No dude. It's a great thing. I wan't every game of mine to become MMO. It's so much better in this way, no thinking just doing the same stuff over and over again. what can be better than that. Especially I liked collecting one thousand pieces of herbs. That was the best part of the game.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

How do you play something for EIGHTY HOURS before realising you don't like it:-\

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@JangoWuzHere

Well isn't it a bad thing ?

MMOs are also known as Virtual Skinner Boxes, y'know. I think thats bad... Don't you ?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#20 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@cyclops10 said:

Plays game for over 80 hours despite disliking it.

You know what that makes you, right?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@Netret0120 said:

How do you play something for EIGHTY HOURS before realising you don't like it:-\

I am a completionist. It's a curse. But after 80h I just can't stand DA: I anymore. When I unlocked a new huge map, and for a tenth time I saw all those runes to collect, places to put you flag on, camps to set and rifts to close, I said f*ck it. I won't play this shit anymore. It was entertaining at first, but now I hate it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: You didn't write "IMO" in the OP. I enjoy the game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

mind linkin us your origin account=?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JangoWuzHere

@jhonMalcovich said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

No dude. It's a great thing. I wan't every game of mine to become MMO. It's so much better in this way, no thinking just doing the same stuff over and over again. what can be better than that. Especially I liked collecting one thousand pieces of herbs. That was the best part of the game.

Again, you can do the stuff that you want to do. I know I stopped closing rifts about half way through the game, the rewards you get from them stop being useful after so long. DA:I definitely has a lot of petty quests, but that doesn't mean there isn't quality quests with story and depth. The game has plenty of those.

Also once you get to Skyhold, you don't need to really pick up herbs or ore anymore. You can send your commanders to do it. You don't need to do every little thing in the game. The game gives you options, and Its easy to see that the game doesn't expect you to solve every astreal puzzle or find every shard in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

So... let me get this straight... you just spent 80! freakin hours on a game you dont like... ok then

If the game managed to make you "waste" that much time it must have done somethin right, just saying...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Inquisition is like FF XII, except nowhere near as good.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

80 hours?

I guess you're not fan of ballbusting either.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Overrated shit and yet you put in 80 hours?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Destiny.

That would be my pick.

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cyclops10

@jhonMalcovich said:

@cyclops10 said:

It has an 7.5 user score on metacritic.

You didn't like it, that's cool. Why do you think anyone cares though?

cyclops10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cyclops10

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@cyclops10

I did the samething..... Infact i was playing Dragons Dogma while explaining to my friend just how shitty it is...... This is over 200 hours into the game. This happened a few hours ago... And I'm going to keep playing it and hating every moment of it.

I wish i had this much free time.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@cyclops10 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@cyclops10 said:

It has an 7.5 user score on metacritic.

You didn't like it, that's cool. Why do you think anyone cares though?

Only on PS4. On all other platforms it's 5-6

@lostrib

@freedomfreak

I have already responded to this question. Read the comments.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@cyclops10

You would make better use of it than I ever could. :(

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It's funny.

Bash a game that you didn't play too much of = you have no right to an opinion.

Bash a game you played a lot of = you're an idiot for doing so.

I haven't played a bit of the game so I'm not on either side of this. But I've sunk time into plenty of games that I ended up not liking. Sometimes you just want to see the return on the money you paid, so you push on. Sometimes a game is showered with (honeymoon phase) praise and you want to see what all the fuss is about, so you push on. Also, RPGs can be lengthy titles and often times are tough to gauge early on. Some RPGs start out weak as **** only to get much better as you progress. So again, you push on hoping for that chance.

Shit happens.

If you disagree with OPs opinions then argue those. I would much rather debate the quality of a game with someone who actually played it than dealing with the typical SW **** face that is hating on a game they never touched.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#35 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: you do know most MMO's are built of RPG's right?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I haven't played any of those big disappointment games like Destiny, but I'd have to go with Mario Kart 8. People go crazy for that game. That's good and all as it can be quite fun as a silly little distraction, but it shouldn't be taking Wii U GOTY awards against games that are far more meticulously/painstakingly designed with a clear amount of exceptional skill and effort far beyond what is present in the latest cart racer.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jhonMalcovich: you do know most MMO's are built of RPG's right?

Yeh. No. MMORPG are not copying from old school rpgs, but from Diablo. It's the first time that I see that a singleplayer RPG that comes from old school heritage is copying so heavily MMORPG mechanics.

Anyway, who actually here really played the game ?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

It's funny.

Bash a game that you didn't play too much of = you have no right to an opinion.

Bash a game you played a lot of = you're an idiot for doing so.

I haven't played a bit of the game so I'm not on either side of this. But I've sunk time into plenty of games that I ended up not liking. Sometimes you just want to see the return on the money you paid, so you push on. Sometimes a game is showered with (honeymoon phase) praise and you want to see what all the fuss is about, so you push on. Also, RPGs can be lengthy titles and often times are tough to gauge early on. Some RPGs start out weak as **** only to get much better as you progress. So again, you push on hoping for that chance.

Shit happens.

If you disagree with OPs opinions then argue those. I would much rather debate the quality of a game with someone who actually played it than dealing with the typical SW **** face that is hating on a game they never touched.

I'm not a fan of the TC's threads usually, but damn was I just about to say this.

Most of his complaints are things that would only come into effect usually late game, I can't count how many times I've been disappointed with a game because of a shitty post game, late game.

One of the major complaints I've seen with this game is just how horrible the actual RPG elements are, there's very little character progression, personalization.

A big part of what makes the final fantasy games awesome, especially FF XII is all the optional fights and quests that are there for those that want a challenge, get the best weapons, create the best equipment, etc. it's really disappointing to hear this game has none of that despite having the framework for it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

@ConanTheStoner

I freaking admire you right now ! :D

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

I 100% agree with you. I could tell it was an mmo right away, the only reason people defend it is because they spent money on it and can't admit that it's a bad game.

It looks real good but that's all it has. **** Bioware, my cousin works there. I have an urge to tell her their company is a disgrace.

It's just so.... bad. The thousands of fetch quests don't equal twenty minutes of Baldurs Gate 2. Dumbed down to the millionth degree.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@rabakill

Perhaps they havent played better games... :p its all relative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I'll take your word TC and not play dragon age

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#43 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

Dragon Age Inquisition as a mmorpg would have been amazing.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: tough to believe. Not many games have worse gameplay than a stripped down mmo.

RPG-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RPG-er
Member since 2003 • 19301 Posts

I don't blame him for playing a game for 80 hours despite hating it. I've played Destiny everyday since launch, and everyday I hate myself more. Sometimes I wonder if this is what depression feels like.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#46  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

80 hours lol!

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Too much cRPG incline around these days to be messing with Derp Age.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jhonMalcovich

To make you an idea how bad side quests are, here's a sample:

I found a scroll in the middle of a road junction that was saying: "My beloved son died blah blah blah and every month I light the candle in the temple on the hill. But now the temple is occupied by bandits so I can't do this anymore. Who ever reads this scroll, please, kill all the bandits and set the candle alight in the memory of my son."

This is the quest. No npc talking, just a scroll lying on the road. Ming blowing writing, right ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

@rabakill

Actually your point does seem much more likely, now that I think about it.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#50 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Only game I've suffered through to completion despite hating my time with it was Jak 2, a significantly shorter game than Dragon Age: Inquisition, and that experience killed any ambition to play through games if I'm not having a good time. Props to you for being able to suffer through 80 hours.

I just picked the game up and I'm looking forward to playing it. The criticisms you laid out are things I'll be sure to watch out for while playing so I don't waste too much time doing everything, especially when another poster said you can send out your leaders to do some of that for you. This thread has been informative for that.

I wish I would have read some input for my most overrated game of the year, Shadow of Mordor. A very fun game that I enjoyed a lot, but I played it in such a way that I wasted so much time at the beginning on the Nemesis system that I killed my ambition to mess with it when I got all the fun new powers. Such is life.