And the game industry GOTY is

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17419 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@tonitorsi said:

@navyguy21: Blamme the twats that funded and redesigned GS. All the legit posters just decided to either move on to Gaf, Skype or just moved the fvck on.

It was such a rash ass decision.

Ugh.

You realise that the new site design had to make sacrifices right? while in many ways its worse, it now fits across all devices.

Though the designers seem to have failed to take into account the little features that made things easier.... but the old site was information overload, very dated looking and was not responsive web design in the slightest.

I cant speak for Tonitorsi, but i dont have an issue with the site as a whole. I mean there are minor complaints, but it is similar to other sites and is better with media. It will evolve over time im sure (like being able to see which threads ive viewed and how many new posts, etc)

I think the biggest change that affected long-time posters was the rule changes that favored trolls and alt accounts. It drowns out legit discussions and threads. Im on this site about a third as much as i used to because there is very little actual discussions going on and more crap flinging and blind fanboyism.

How do you compete with that. I rarely create threads because i know they will be ruined by trolls.

Site overhaul is the least of the problems here

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I have yet to play it. I will say that I don't agree with Gamespot's GOTY. I haven't even finished A Link Between Worlds. I keep trying to force myself to play it again to finish, but so far I have had no clue in getting myself hyped up again to play more of it. I started out really liking and praising the game, but in the end, I got bored with it before finishing it just like I have all previous Zelda games I have played. So far out of the 2013 games I have played, I like GTA5 the most.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I have yet to play it. I will say that I don't agree with Gamespot's GOTY. I haven't even finished A Link Between Worlds. I keep trying to force myself to play it again to finish, but so far I have had no clue in getting myself hyped up again to play more of it. I started out really liking and praising the game, but in the end, I got bored with it before finishing it just like I have all previous Zelda games I have played. So far out of the 2013 games I have played, I like GTA5 the most.

I don't understand how that's even possible. Especially given that you began by enjoying the game. The game is so tight and to the point, it'd be harder to not finish the game. It's a short game with no padding. Go back and finish it.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I don't understand how that's even possible. Especially given that you began by enjoying the game. The game is so tight and to the point, it'd be harder to not finish the game. It's a short game with no padding. Go back and finish it.

I can't explain it myself. It has happened that way with every Zelda game I have ever played.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By trugs26

I don't really care for the 'Game Industry' version of the award. It has lesser value to me. The aggregate just makes it too mainstream and casual. I prefer going to websites I trust. Obviously the award does say something about the game, but there is too much mainstream bias embedded within the award for my liking. The same goes for Metacritic. For example, the aggregate will include scores from websites with a name like "hardcoregamer.com".

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By trugs26

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@trugs26 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I can't explain it myself. It has happened that way with every Zelda game I have ever played.

I can understand it happening for other Zelda games, given the tutorials, general length of the game, etc. But ALBW is so much shorter and to the point compared to other Zelda's. I guess you're just not a fan of the core gameplay mechanic behind Zelda?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

8/10.

Says the creepy old man that idolizes Selena Gomez...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Damn, half a year later and cows are still in full on damage control denial mode :\

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18250 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#60 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

lol, are cows still mad at Tom McShea? Also...

Lol, that's some weak damage control.

"bu..bu..bu..only GS scores count" LMFAO!

Meanwhile in the real world, TLOU is the best game of the gen hands down.

It's funny because up until Last of Us came along, GameSpot was the only one that mattered, especially when Skyward Sword flopped here and had a 94 on Metacritic. Now that a Nintendo game (a handheld, no less) has gotten GOTY, people tell sheep that GameSpot is not the only one that matters and it's all about what the aggregate scores say.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts

lol at all the people who said Uncharted 2 only won the most GOTYs back in 09 because of tovhe lack of comp. This just proves ND and TLOU are GOTG

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I didn't care for it. To be honest Saint's Row 4 is probably the game I enjoyed the most from last year, even over GTA V.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

PS4 has multiple games that by themselves have more GOTY awards then every 360 exclusive combined LOL

Lems on suicide watch.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

The Last of Us is irredeemable shit.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#65  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Is it me or is GTA V lacking the GOTY awards?

yes its lacking imo.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

It deserves it.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@clr84651 said:

Bu bu but the Lems said it was a flop because GS reviewed it an 8. Lol

And the lems were correct, it was hyped higher than what it scored which means it is a big ole flop, why does it burn so much?

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SelfReflect
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

Congrats Naughty Dog! So well deserved.

The story was soo good that the gameplay doesnt even get the full credit it deserves too.

The gameplay in Last of Us was friggen amazing too.

Never played combat that tense, brutal, dynamic, engaging, and well thought out before.

Last of Us plays like a unique blend of a next gen ManHunt, MGS3, and RE4 all wrapped up into one!

Plus the way the gameplay and story merged together so perfectly etc,

Last of Us is just a god tier game.

Easily one of the best games of all time, and my personal best game of all time. Naughty Gods indeed.

Again, thank you Naughty Dog. No game has ever impacted me as much as Last of Us has (in gameplay or in story) You gave us something truly special with the Last of Us. Will never forget! Last of Us is the greatest game I have ever played and I have been gaming since on the NES.

A thank you also goes out to Sony for always letting Naughty Dog do their thing and supporting them unconditionally

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
@selfreflect said:

Congrats Naughty Dog! Well deserved. Amazing game.

The story was so good that the gameplay doesnt even get the full credit it deserves too.

The gameplay in Last of Us was friggen amazing too.

Never played combat that tense, brutal, dynamic, engaging, and well thought out before.

Last of Us plays like a unique blend of a next gen ManHunt, MGS3, and RE4 all wrapped up into one!

Plus the way the gameplay and story merged together so perfectly etc,

Last of Us is just a god tier game. Easily one of the best games of all time, and my personal best game of all time. Naughty Gods indeed

Haven't seen you in a while.

SelfReflect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 SelfReflect
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

You wanna know how I know Naughty Dog is the greatest developer of our time?

Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, which both came out in the same gen, have won over 450+ GOTY awards combined!

The ENTIRE exclusive xbox library combined over the xbox's whole existance hasnt won a fraction of that many GOTY awards lol

Nintendo exclusives combined over the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U havent won that many awards

We are witnessing greatness with Naughty Dog. Embrace it!

As for the vocal minority of haters out there, I hope Naughty Dog continues to sweep up GOTY awards with every new game they make so that their haters can be driven even more insane lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

I played The Last Of Us.

It was definitely a good game.

Very good quality, story, voice acting, graphics, gameplay mechanics.

But it’s not my type of game. So this might be the GOTY but it’s not a game that falls in to my targeted genre.

CatwomanIsKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 CatwomanIsKyle
Member since 2014 • 77 Posts

Game of the generation. Fact. Not opinion.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

And the lems were correct, it was hyped higher than what it scored which means it is a big ole flop, why does it burn so much?

It won PS3 GotY here & overall GotY on IGN & many other sites. That's not a flop loser.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#74  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19495 Posts

Most of those hundreds of random sites don't really mean anything. What really counts are the major awards, e.g. BAFTA, VGA, Golden Joystick, CESA, AIAS, IGN, GameSpot, Famitsu, Eurogamer, Metacritic, etc.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Blabadon said:

"admit you got it wrong "gamespot" "Tom""

Seriously, can McShea win some type of award for this much beautiful cow tipping even six or seven months later?

He surely won the most moronic score ever,twice...

Once when he rated TLOU 8 and and once when he rated Beyond two Souls a 9...lol

This own site picked TLOU GOTY for PS3,over other higher rated games...Gamespot already fix it..hahahaha

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

As a lifetime gamer, it is sad to see that this thread is an accurate reflection of the gaming industry today.

I remember when we used to have intelligent debates on games and the industry....

when the hell was that? I've been here since 08 (06 if you count lurking) And to be honest, SW was trollmania-central fakeboys every where tons of weabos Japan-lovers lots of 14 year olds and most of the users suffered from mental retardation.

As dumb and shitty as SW is today, its actually a bit better cuz today people actually are informed alittle more than back then and even tho we complain that the community is small now, its better than when the community was huge filled with what I just said above.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: Is the mp really that good? I never tried it. And to the OP, shut up and get over the score already

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@Chutebox: lol you really think i care about gamespot score 1 drunk guy opinion ? bahahahaha uhh NO!

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

8/10 and not goty.

u mad?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Snugenz

@clr84651 said:

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

It won PS3 GotY here & overall GotY on IGN & many other sites. That's not a flop loser.

It is a flop you twat, that's how its been on SW for years. You're just too thick to realize that.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

@lglz1337: Your posts say otherwise

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Congrats to TLOU... a really great game... Whether or not gamespot got the review "right", they ended up picking the game of the year accurately as A link between worlds is pretty much perfect.

Except it's way too easy.

I realize the zelda franchise is primarily designed for children, but lately they seem to be getting more and more simple.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#83 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Yeah it really swept this year.

I didn't care for it that much. I didn't finish it. Not my kind of game.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22617 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@TheEroica said:

Congrats to TLOU... a really great game... Whether or not gamespot got the review "right", they ended up picking the game of the year accurately as A link between worlds is pretty much perfect.

I realize the zelda franchise is primarily designed for children, but lately they seem to be getting more and more simple.

I can't say it offers less a challenge than Alttp did... it's pretty much on par... what particularly did you find standout easy about it?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22617 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@TheEroica said:

I can't say it offers less a challenge than Alttp did... it's pretty much on par... what particularly did you find standout easy about it?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mems_1224

@Jankarcop said:

8/10 and not goty.

u mad?

Neither was a PC game.

U mad?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@Jankarcop said:

8/10 and not goty.

u mad?

Neither was a PC game.

U mad?

Thats not all my system was depending on though. PS3 is 3rd place for aaa/aa aaa/aaE.

They can't afford this. But it still happened.

Ha ha ha.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By mems_1224

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@TheEroica said:

Good thing difficulty isn't what defines a great game because TLOU was easy as hell too. Except at least LBW was fun to play.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@TheEroica said:

Combat felt like more of an obstacle than a necessity, there's really never any danger of dying.

Item upgrades felt tacked on, there's never a reason to use them when you can already push through quite easily with the default gear.

Dungeons felt pretty short, I realize they were going for a "Let's make the world the dungeon too!" vibe, but it didn't really work out.

Item rental especially, killed a big sense of reward and discovery with this new mechanic.

These are just my views, but obviously I found the game to be a lot less perfect than most. I still prefer ALTTP

I have no problem with games having a small learning curve, but it never once steepened. I'm a big fan of easy to learn and hard to master mechanics.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 clr84651

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

It is a flop you twat, that's how its been on SW for years. You're just too thick to realize that.

Not quite! SW is not the say all for a game. Look outside of this delusional forum & wake up!

You need proof;

The Last of Us gets the most GotY awards of any game with 203.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/14115/20140111/the-last-of-us-game-of-the-year.htm

IGN review a 10/10

http://www.ign.com/games/the-last-of-us/ps3-123980

IGN GotY= The Last of Us

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/01/10/introducing-igns-2013-game-of-the-year

Game Spot's PS3 GotY= The Last of Us

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps3-game-of-the-year-2013-winner/1100-6416463/

Video gamer's GotY= The Last of Us

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/the_last_of_us/features/article/game_of_the_year_2013_no_1_the_last_of_us_2.html

Games Beat's GotY= The Last of Us

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/31/2013-game-of-the-year-the-last-of-us/

Destructoid's GotY = The Last of Us

http://www.destructoid.com/the-winner-of-destructoid-s-2013-game-of-the-year-267960.phtml

Metacritic's review = 95/100

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-last-of-us

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

Not really surprised. Top 5 game of all time as voted by the industry. Well deserved. Can't wait to see what Naughty Gods do with the most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games. Undoubtedly will be beyond stunning and spectacular.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts
@navyguy21 said:

@tonitorsi said:

@navyguy21: Blamme the twats that funded and redesigned GS. All the legit posters just decided to either move on to Gaf, Skype or just moved the fvck on.

It was such a rash ass decision.

Ugh.

Well the rule changes are what are making me think about moving on as well. The trolls should be controlled. Im not saying we cant discuss games with passion because for most of us, it IS our passion. But to have immature fanboy and kids destroy that passion is disheartening. I think i might just move on to GiantBomb. At least the trolls are shut down often by the staff with accurate info and corrections, and the rules are different there.

Just move to Gaf brah. I've seen like half of the old active members over there. There is still a bit of trolling and whatnot but if you want some discussion to boot you can definitely find it.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Snugenz

@clr84651 said:

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

Not quite! SW is not the say all for a game. Look outside of this delusional forum & wake up!

You need proof;

When god was handing out brains you thought he said trains and said "it's ok i'll catch the next one".

We're on GS, when determining a flop on GS we use the GS score, TLOU was hyped AAA on GS but it scored AA on GS, therefore it's a flop on GS.

I really can't make this any simpler. You really are thick in the head.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#94 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Congrats I guess. The game was pretty boring to me. I had to force myself to finish it, but of course everybody has different opinions.

Drrhymetime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Drrhymetime
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Is it me or is GTA V lacking the GOTY awards?

When all the release hype dies down and its time to pick the best game at the end of the year, thats when people look at games the most objectively.

Thats why GTAV has no where the same amount of GOTY awards that the Last of Us has.

When it came time to look at both objectively Last of Us was proven to be the better game by and large

GTAV wouldve been the much safer pick, due to popularity, so im glad journalists stuck to their integrity and rightfully chose the riskier, but far better Last of Us

GTAV was rated a 97 at release off of pure hype, money hats, and post release hysteria.

GTAV really is an all flash, no substance kind of game to be honest. Its only accomplishment was in its technical graphics in an open world setting, and letting players do a whole bunch of pointless stupid shit in that open world setting etc

Mostly everything about GTAV was lackluster though, from the shallow mediocre combat, to the wonky driving, to all the boring filler side missions and side content etc

Only thing I liked about GTAV were the hiest missions but there were hardly any in the game, and no other missions came close to it.

I was someone who actually played both GTAV and Last of Us, and I knew the Last of Us was gonna murder GTAV in objective GOTY polls, no matter which was more popular.

I cant help but laugh at all the "bu bu bu Last of Us wont win GOTY because GTAV" posts

Last of Us had a much deeper emotional thought provoking story, it had much deeper, more fleshed out combat gameplay- more importantly had much better combat gameplay period, and Naughty Dog with Last of Us was able to bridge togther both its superb gamplay and superb story flawlessly into one entity, like no other developer/ game has ever even come close to doing.

Last of Us wasnt just the undisputed GOTY this year. Last of Us isnt just considered by many to be the best game of this gen, Last of Us is one of the greatest pure games of all time.

GTAV couldve actually been what it was hyped up to be, and it still wouldve lost handily to Last of Us lol

There isnt any other year where the Last of Us wouldve lost GOTY either

The only competition to Last of Us wouldve been Uncharted 2 in 2009. Naughty Dog is the greatest developer or our time

Drrhymetime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Drrhymetime
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

Congrats I guess. The game was pretty boring to me. I had to force myself to finish it, but of course everybody has different opinions.

Yep, and Ive said it before. I will say it again

Last of Us requires actual thought to play, ammo is scarce, bullets actually do damage, and the combat over all is very brutal and intense.

Last of Us isnt for the ADD addicted dudebros (like you)

Shallow AAA shootfests like Call of Duty/Gears of War may be more up yours and some others speed

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#97  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

@drrhymetime said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Yep, and Ive said it before. I will say it again

Last of Us requires actual thought to play, ammo is scarce, bullets actually do damage, and the combat over all is very brutal and intense.

Last of Us isnt for the ADD addicted dudebros (like you)

Shallow AAA shootfests like Call of Duty/Gears of War may be more up yours and some others speed

Buddy I've been gaming since the Atari days, actually before. I don't really play CoD, or other multi-player games.

I just find TLoU to have some boring parts. I've finished the game, it's just not one that I'm interested in playing again...so try again with your dudebro logic.

Stop trying to act like TLoU is some kind of thinking man's game, because it isn't. It's basically a TPS with some stealth portions and a good story. Maybe try realizing that people have different tastes in games, and not everyone who doesn't like a game on your favorite system is attacking your plastic girlfriend, or your favorite game company...sheesh.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#99  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Blabadon said:

"admit you got it wrong "gamespot" "Tom""

Seriously, can McShea win some type of award for this much beautiful cow tipping even six or seven months later?

He didn't piss anyone off if you actually watched the spoiler cast he did, it just made him look like an idiot and the two other guys who did the SC with him knew he was talking shyt just cause he's a dumbass.

Tom is seriously the worst troll I've ever seen and the sad thing is he gets paid to do it.

Also if anyone missed TLOU Spoiler Cast here it is (of course there's SPOILERS, so be warned)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvIWDEkaw4g

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By clr84651

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

@Snugenz said:

@clr84651 said:

You need proof;

When god was handing out brains you thought he said trains and said "it's ok i'll catch the next one".

We're on GS, when determining a flop on GS we use the GS score, TLOU was hyped AAA on GS but it scored AA on GS, therefore it's a flop on GS.

I really can't make this any simpler. You really are thick in the head.

Whatever helps your case despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. You should know thick headed.

And you say GS is what we use here?! They realized the guy who did the initial review at 8/10 was incorrect & made it GotY for PS3. A flop doesn't win GotY.