Analyst: Downloadable titles make up 92% of PC games market

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Anyone paying vague attention to the PC games market has long known that it's a space dominated by downloadable titles? Still, it's a bit astounding to hear a report estimating that a full 92 percent of PC game sales in 2013 came from digital downloads, as DFC Intelligence recently told British tech site PCR.

That may sound high, even to people who haven't bought a PC game on a disc for years, but it lines up with other numbers reported throughout the industry. Last year, Payday 2 publisher Starbreeze announced that 80 percent of its 1.58 million first-month sales came from downloads, for instance. And let's not forget the scores of PC games that are totally ignoring retail sales for 100 percent downloadable releases these days, from Dota 2 to Day Z.

source

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Considering the same DRM that prevents selling/lending/trading/gifting/collecting is in the physical copies of PC games, there is little reason to buy physical retail copies of PC games.

You get DRM either way. I'm surprised it's not a higher percentage actually.

Companies gain so much with DD, it' only makes sense. I hope the console sector continues to offer choice between DRM free console physical copes and DD copies.

I do buy PC games of course, but since they have DRM I'm always buying them cheap. That's the trick. You give up a lot of consumer advantages, so you make sure you don't pay a premium for DD. That's how I see it, but I've been gaming since Atari so I know my views are ancient, especially compared to the new generation of gamers who are far more willing to purchase full priced DD games despite the many consumer disadvantages.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i think the last physical pc game i bought was supreme commander, and i only bought it physically because it was $5NZD for the gold edition, so better value than i could get online at the time.

ironically, i just typed the key into steam and downloaded it. my computer doesn't have an optical drive.

so i would be at 99% digital.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

PC gamers can't sell or trade their games so what's the point?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Last physical PC game I bought was Spore. Big mistake.

Personally, id take DRM over a used game market any day. PC games are generally significantly cheaper than console games, and they will be available in my library forever.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

PC gamers dont go to gamestop to buy games. We have other outlets

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

The last physical pc game I got was bioshock infinite, but that was because it was way cheaper than digital versions.

Before that it was the witcher 2 for all the free swag it came with.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

I haven't bought a retail game for PC in years. I find it far more convenient to just use Steam.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10  Edited By jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

My Last bought Retail Pc game came from Walmart

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Good. Retail games on the PC have sucked for years.

I would take light DRM through the DD services like Steam, Origin, and Amazon over the crap that comes with retail games. You can't escape DRM sadly. DRM for the consoles is the fact you need to have a copy of the disk or have to be logged into your online account to play your PSN/XBL games. The services I mentioned do a good job of keeping the DRM as logical and unobtrusive as possible. It's only when devs decide to layer their own on top of the retailer's DRM does it become a major headache.

DD = more profits for devs and publishers which means they don't need to sell millions of copies to make their money back which in turn allows them to develop more niche titles. It's a win-win for gamers.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

You act like selling or trading games is even an advantage.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Retail hasn't been really too nice to PC. Although I will say the PC Gaming section at my walmart has gotten a bit better, but the Games are still stuffed in this weird corner next to Vita games (that haven't been updated in a year).

Hopefully this means my Walmart will start carrying Steam Cards.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@Pray_to_me said:

For consumers,yes.

For publishers,no.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

That would explain Ubisoft trying to hike the price to laughable levels.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

I can't even remember the last physical PC game I bought. It's been at least 5 years, probably longer. I haven't even put optical drives in the last two PC's I built. So nice not having to deal with a bunch of discs and boxes.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

How sad..

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Considering the same DRM that prevents selling/lending/trading/gifting/collecting is in the physical copies of PC games, there is little reason to buy physical retail copies of PC games.

Companies gain so much with DD, it' only makes sense. I hope the console sector continues to offer choice between DRM free console physical copes and DD copies.

I do buy PC games of course, but since they have DRM I'm always buying them cheap. That's the trick. You give up a lot of consumer advantages, so you make sure you don't pay a premium for DD. That's how I see it, but I've been gaming since Atari so I know my views are ancient, especially compared to the new generation of gamers who are far more willing to purchase full priced DD games despite the many consumer disadvantages.

1. Aren't you a collector of games? So why do you care about re-selling them.

2. Used games industry (not the small scale selling of games, but places like gamestop) is an absolute cancer on the video games sector.

Thank god physical games will disappear soon.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

That's why I dont buy PC games until they are under $10.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

and this is one of the root causes as to why PC gaming is in such dire straits

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Yep, just a matter of time before PC finally dies, I mean it's been dying for so long!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Only physical copy of a game I have is Oblivion/Bioshock combo. It was on sale at Micro Center for $3.

I have 200+ games downloaded to my PC through various applications: Steam, Origin, etc.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Why bother with hundreds of discs when I can bring my whole gaming collection with me around the world. All I need is a username and password.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I know the last PC game I bought a physical copy of was Guild Wars Nightfall and I got that the day it released. That was in 2006.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Because with PC game sales like steam's summer sale for example, you save more buying the game that way than you could ever make selling/trading your console copy. That's why.

When you can get a game like Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut for $4.99, you tend to not give a shit that you can't trade/sell your game. You just saved more than you would have ever made trading/selling it.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Not surprised. I've been playing primarily on PC for 6 years and I've never bought a physical copy of a game. It's much easier to purchase through Steam and to avoid cases/discs taking up space.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@amazonangry said:

You mean kicking the consoles arse in revenue?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#28 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

True . Hopefully there will be some sites in the future that will share digital sales numbers too .

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

haha 8% still buy physical copies? No reason for that except collector's editions.

lol DRM. lol trading in games.

@SolidTy said:

I do buy PC games of course, but since they have DRM I'm always buying them cheap.

So what do you call the hardware and disc requirement when buying physical games for other platforms? Surely it can't be some form of management of digital rights?

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Idiot.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

These peasant arguments are reminiscent of their initial rejection of online multiplayer over split screen multiplayer gaming before they had online capabilities. (i.e "Oh yeah? Well I'd rather game with my bros on the couch. Virgin nerds!")

Keep clinging to the old ways and being a decade behind in EVERYTHING.

PCs will continue to forge ahead into the future while you guys play pat-a-cake with balls of your feces in the back of your caves.

If they're not complaining about the absence of a used games market, then they're bitching about the scratched discs that the resellers continue to try and sell.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@roler42 said:

@amazonangry said:

Yep, just a matter of time before PC finally dies, I mean it's been dying for so long!

Dying so hard in fact it's making more money than ever!

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-28-pc-gaming-market-to-exceed-USD25-billion-this-year-dfc

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@roler42 said:

@amazonangry said:

Dying so hard in fact it's making more money than ever!

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-28-pc-gaming-market-to-exceed-USD25-billion-this-year-dfc

PC must be a fucking vampire god considering how long its been dead yet is more successful than 6 consoles combined.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Last I bought on disk was BF4 and Titanfall. The instal is WAY faster then.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@Pray_to_me said:

it's an advantage for the console crowd who has a much bigger "hit it and quit it, flavor of the month" mentality to games

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@SolidTy: <---- this....

There isn't any reason to buy physical any more since DRM is required.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Do people type their OP's anymore? I understand posting an article, but that's it? Just copy, paste and post?

Oh, sorry. You typed source. Well.. gee wiz.

What the hell do you expect me to add to this? My opinion?

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Digital is the future. I am so addicted to buying games on steam that I started buying most of my console games from PSN and Xbox Live.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

1. Aren't you a collector of games? So why do you care about re-selling them.

2. Used games industry (not the small scale selling of games, but places like gamestop) is an absolute cancer on the video games sector.

Thank god physical games will disappear soon.

1.) Yes, I'm a longtime collector. I didn't say just about re-selling them though, did I? "selling/lending/trading/gifting/collecting". These are all important to me, not just selling. I have family/friends that borrow or trade games with me occasionally. About reselling, it's the same as my other non-games collection. I have a old baseball card collection and it's nice to me these old baseball cards are NOT digital baseball cards in the event I ever want to sell them. Some of these cards are worth a pretty penny (Thanks Dad!). I have old rookie basketball cards as well. I have other things I collected from my youth like comics. They sell digital comics today and I would never buy those. It's nice to know that IF I fall on hard times and have to sell any of these items I've collected, I can. Perhaps I'm not as immortal as I resonate on the forums and my offspring would appreciate my collection or selling it rather. In any event, it's something I consider when buying games and other things. It's also nice to take a game out of my collection, one prized by my friends/family members, and give that game freely to a them as a gift.

2.) I support developers and buy 98% of my games brand new for my modern machines. I've been doing this since at least the Sega Genesis/SNES era. Definitely did it a lot in the PS1/N64/Saturn era. I still operate the same today. In threads on used games, I've even spoken about my stance which is to buy new and support the developers so the idea of throwing used games into an post is a bit a strawman tactic. Still, while I never brought up used games specifically or suggest anywhere that I love them, I am not against their existence. I don't buy used games unless it's for my older systems like Genesis or Atari. I'm thankful I can track down older titles for NES, SNES, Dreamcast, or Saturn. I'm sorry you find used games a problem. I assume used cars, used CDs, used DVDs, Used Blu-Rays, used housing, used lawnmowers, used baseball cards, used comic books, and used anything could be considered equally cancerous depending on what forum we are on, but to each their own. It's a nice way for collectors to increase their retro game collection. Eventually the PS4/Xbone/Wii U will be retro consoles. It's nice to know those machines will still have collectors games for them. Used games also are useful when a game goes out of print and you are trying to track down a limited, hard to find relatively modern game even. I also don't really rent games either. Again, though, I'm all for the option.

As far as Gamestop, I'm not a fan. I've repeated that here for years, so I'm even going into an anti-Gamestop diatribe as I find their operation disgusting. They are exploiting the used games industry, but that's again off topic to anything I was talking about. I've already spoke WAY too much about used games as it is.

As I said, I'm all about the OPTION to Gift/Sell/Trade/Lend/Borrow/Collection. I didn't mention used, (Used/Rent/etc) but yes, some of my family enjoy my games after I complete them and I guess you wouldn't approve. Still, I would support used and rented games over mega corporations that want to remove them to make even more money. I'm sorry to hear that you are against physical media, but I've heard you say this many times before so and I can understand your stance once you invested so much in the opposite direction. To each their own. I'm not calling for the destruction of Digital and you are calling for the end of Physical. Maybe I should be more active and call for the end of digital. I won't support digital at full price as long as I'm able. When the time comes, if it comes, then I'll make decisions on what I'll do in that future scenario. Maybe I'll just quit gaming if DD takes over consoles? Whatever. I wasn't going to buy an Xbone until they reversed their DRM decisions and they did so I bought one. DD for console to me is a complete rip off because I don't trust the networks to stay active forever, so I have to get DD cheap considering all that I'm giving up.

We are in for another generation of gaming (Wii U, PS4, Xbone) with lot's of physical media. Yay. As I said in the post you quoted, "I've been gaming since Atari so I know my views are ancient, especially compared to the new generation of gamers who are far more willing to purchase full priced DD games despite the many consumer disadvantages." I admit my views are ancient, what else could I post? That's how I feel and I know how you feel as I feel we have this discussion every year or so? I don't usually quote your DD kills physical posts though, I just post my own take in threads. You quoted me on this, so I posted more than normal as I wanted to reiterate my stance is EXACTLY where it was last year and every year I've ever been on Gamespot as an active poster (almost a decade). I feel both DD and Physical can be enjoyed. I own hundreds, maybe over a thousand DD games, but it's not my preference. I know some games can only be bought with DD and I accept it, but I wish there was an alternative. Conversely, the same holds true for physical console games. I enjoy many of the same games you do so I think we'll be okay. :)

Thank god physical games are still here today as they've been for decades.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidTy
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@SolidTy: <---- this....

There isn't any reason to buy physical any more since DRM is required.

Thank you. :)

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I would take light DRM through the DD services like Steam, Origin, and Amazon over the crap that comes with retail games. You can't escape DRM sadly. DRM for the consoles is the fact you need to have a copy of the disk or have to be logged into your online account to play your PSN/XBL games. The services I mentioned do a good job of keeping the DRM as logical and unobtrusive as possible. It's only when devs decide to layer their own on top of the retailer's DRM does it become a major headache.

DD = more profits for devs and publishers which means they don't need to sell millions of copies to make their money back which in turn allows them to develop more niche titles. It's a win-win for gamers.

I agree with all of this.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@wis3boi said:

@melonfarmerz said:

it's an advantage for the console crowd who has a much bigger "hit it and quit it, flavor of the month" mentality to games

yes. or for those who need to 'recycle' their game money, treat the game as an asset which still has value.

buying and selling games, it's OK. i stopped liking it after I realised it keeps your library small. i prefer paying a lower initial price, and having a library which only grows. just swings and roundabouts, innit?

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

I can't understand people that think DRM is the same as not being able to sell/lend/gift/etc the product you bought.

DRM is a tool to fight piracy, not to eliminate the second-hand market. The license based business model is one thing (the contrary to the property based business model, in which you own what you bought, not only paid for a restrictive license of use), DRM is entirely another.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SolidTy

@happyduds77 said:

Digital is the future. I am so addicted to buying games on steam that I started buying most of my console games from PSN and Xbox Live.

Digital for PC for me.

But not on consoles for me.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

I just cannot believe now Ubisoft have the new titles such as Unity and Farcry4 at $75US on Steam in Australia. Yet the PS4 version from MightyApe is $69.99. So now PC games are becoming more expensive than console. WTF?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidTy

@digitm64 said:

I just cannot believe now Ubisoft have the new titles such as Unity and Farcry4 at $75US on Steam in Australia. Yet the PS4 version from MightyApe is $69.99. So now PC games are becoming more expensive than console. WTF?

Ubisoft has really lost a lot of respect from me and countless friends of mine.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

"80 percent of its 1.58 million first-month sales came from downloads,"

Publisher= sony

Sony exlusives on sony console sales= about as much!

Yet sony doesnt release their games on pc.

Makes as much as sense as tomb raider being exlusive to the system with the least userbase and sales.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@Wasdie said:

What makes it a headache for me is that I, as a consumer, have no assurance that these companies will never go down or their services will never go down.

Making me have zero assurance on whether I'll still be able to play my game so many years down the line.

We all saw what happened when GFWL was supposed to go down. People really wondered if they would still be able to play their GFWL games. And we still don't know, GFWL was kept alive.

Look at all the DRM keeping people from playing their games: Diablo 3, Watch_dogs and Uplay being down in general, PSN going down...

I like revisiting games. Will I still be able to play my Steam,PSN,Origin,Uplay,Xboxlive,GFWL-activated games in 20 years ?

Who knows

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

What makes it a headache for me is that I, as a consumer, have no assurance that these companies will never go down or their services will never go down.

Making me have zero assurance on whether I'll still be able to play my game so many years down the line.

We all saw what happened when GFWL was supposed to go down. People really wondered if they would still be able to play their GFWL games. And we still don't know, GFWL was kept alive.

Look at all the DRM keeping people from playing their games: Diablo 3, Watch_dogs and Uplay being down in general, PSN going down...

I like revisiting games. Will I still be able to play my Steam,PSN,Origin,Uplay,Xboxlive,GFWL-activated games in 20 years ?

Who knows

Well DD services have a better chance at survival than per-game DRM.