pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6897 Posts

Today pre-orders went up for the latest Analogue retro gadget.

Meet Analogue Pocket.
A multi-video-game-system portable handheld. A digital audio workstation with a built-in synthesizer and sequencer. A tribute to portable gaming. Out of the box, Pocket is compatible with the 2,780+ Game Boy, Game Boy Color & Game Boy Advance game cartridge library. Pocket works with cartridge adapters for other handheld systems, too. Like Game Gear. Neo Geo Pocket Color. Atari Lynx & more. Completely engineered in *two FPGAs.

No emulation.

This is one of the more interesting offerings from Analogue. Of course, the sky is the limit when it comes to the firmware.

Pre-orders went up at 8:00am. When I checked 10 min later it was already sold out. The device is supposed to ship in May 2021.

Is this something you would be interested in?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 2631 Posts

that looks awesome just wish you can buy one and have those games can be bought in the store because i had a lynx and all the gameboys but a house fire i add destroyed everything i had. one of the sadest days of my life.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 13894 Posts

I'm definitely interested now that I know it has a GameGear adapter

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5587 Posts

Damn, how many did they make? Half a dozen?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pyro1245

@Random_Matt said:

Damn, how many did they make? Half a dozen?

Yeah I am curious as well.

I knew they would sell out quick, but I was surprised. My original intent for this topic was: 'Get one before they are gone'.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37406 Posts

Meh, I would just prefer these games be offered on new systems digitally.

Seems this device too caters to people who might get these games illegally, like might get one of those pirated game cartridges pre-loaded with tons of games that sell on eBay dirt cheap.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pyro1245

@lamprey263 said:

Meh, I would just prefer these games be offered on new systems digitally.

Seems this device too caters to people who might get these games illegally, like might get one of those pirated game cartridges pre-loaded with tons of games that sell on eBay dirt cheap.

This is targeted at people who want uncompromising accuracy in all aspects of their retro gaming.

It's FPGA-based, and thus a completely different class of product from those you are referring to.

If you don't care about the quality of emulation, then yes a cheapo product or modern console release would be fine for you.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37406 Posts

@pyro1245: I have mostly been fine with console BC re-releases (Sega collections, Neo Geo arcade re-releases, Capcom collectiins, etc), mostly concerned of wanting a greater accessibility of titles more than whether it genuinely plays like original hardware, but I guess a genuine purist will be privy to the subtle nuances of functionality.

I find modern console re-releases to be adequate as far as functionality, mostly, depends on what we are talking about. But accessibility of titles seems to be something I am far more wanting for all around.

I have no doubt though a passionate collector with titles to work with this system will find what they want out of this. I have none of my old stuff and frankly don't want to hunt down old ROMs, hence my finding no appeal in this myself. If I did though I could see benefit of such hardware.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 1903 Posts

At least half went to scalpers.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 1422 Posts

@lamprey263: ROMs you say? Not sure what that means but it's a neat little device for original game collectors alone.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pyro1245

@lamprey263: One of the main things I noticed when using an FPGA-based system for retro games was the audio. The gates in the FPGA literally re-create the audio chips in the original consoles so you're getting all the beefy square waves, etc, as intended by the composer. Software emulation typically struggles with audio recreation.

And it's just the cherry on top that Analogue have provided a sequencer to make your own music, and a way to hook it up to modern midi devices and synthesizers.