AMDs exclusivity on choosing which console to manufacture?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vpacalypse
Member since 2005 • 589 Posts

I wonder why Microsoft or Sony didn't ask AMD to exclusively work & build consoles for them this generation.

It certainly would have made the whole hardware side of things more interesting (because they wouldn't so similar).

And does anything they both knew they were using the same vendor (AMD)?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

nvidia refused to do them, simple as that

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

no point. no one is going to buy a console simply because the GPU or CPU was designed by a certain company. it would cost a lot of money to get AMD to turn down contracts from the other manufacturers.

generally a console manufacturer will have a set of requirements they want their next console to meet. they then negotiate with different companies like nvidia, intel, AMD and so on to see who can offer them the best deal.

clearly AMD had something to offer that intel and co did not. perhaps it was price. maybe it was previous experience in delivering hardware designs for consoles. maybe the others wouldnt agree to the T&Cs the console manufacturers were looking for. who knows.

but AMD managed to seal the deals.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Yeah, the profit margins are really low. NVIDIA didn't want to take it at all. AMD was deep in the red and already designs cpu (unlike nvidia). It made sense for them to pick up the deal as long as some profit was made.

Cheap CPU and a cheap gpu that was already developed. I really enjoy the magic stories about how both contain tech that will be unveiled years from now. It was made from old technology they already had.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@daious said:

@wis3boi said:

Yeah, the profit margins are really low. NVIDIA didn't want to take it at all. AMD was deep in the red and already designs cpu (unlike nvidia). It made sense for them to pick up the deal as long as some profit was made.

Cheap CPU and a cheap gpu that was already developed. I really enjoy the magic stories about how both contain tech that will be unveiled years from now. It was made from old technology they already had.

Dunno, they GDDR5 unified ram thing isn't done much in PC systems yet, kinda makes sense for APU systems. Probably something you will see in APU systems in the future.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@edwardecl said:
@daious said:

@wis3boi said:

Dunno, they GDDR5 unified ram thing isn't done much in PC systems yet, kinda makes sense for APU systems. Probably something you will see in APU systems in the future.

Future APU's will be using DDR4 so that problem is already sorted

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Because it's much easier to work out a deal with one company and much easier to manage the logistics from one company. AMD are the only ones capable of providing a unified CPU and GPU for one contracted price.

1. Intel? They can make CPUs, but lag way behind on GPUs.
  2. Nvidia? They can make GPUs, but only make ARM based CPUs. Those aren't developed enough to power a console.
  3. IBM? They can make CPUs, but don't make GPUs.
  4. Samsung and the other ARM-based companies? Their chips aren't powerful enough currently to power a console.

They could have done what Microsoft did last generation and what Nintendo did and is currently doing; negotiate with IBM for the CPU part, AMD for the GPU part, and make a unified chip themselves. But again, that is too expensive.

AMD was the only logical choice.

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vpacalypse

Look I get why both companies chose to partner with AMD for their consoles.

What I'm actually asking is:

Say if (for example) Sony went to AMD first, worked out some sort of deal... then said "but we want you to exclusively work with our console only. No other console this gen". Meaning Microsoft (or vice versa) would have had to look elsewhere.

Could this have been possible to try, why didn't we anything of the sort because it seems like a big competitive advantage to me.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@ShadowDeathX said:

Because it's much easier to work out a deal with one company and much easier to manage the logistics from one company. AMD are the only ones capable of providing a unified CPU and GPU for one contracted price.

1. Intel? They can make CPUs, but lag way behind on GPUs.
  2. Nvidia? They can make GPUs, but only make ARM based CPUs. Those aren't developed enough to power a console.
  3. IBM? They can make CPUs, but don't make GPUs.
  4. Samsung and the other ARM-based companies? Their chips aren't powerful enough currently to power a console.

They could have done what Microsoft did last generation and what Nintendo did and is currently doing; negotiate with IBM for the CPU part, AMD for the GPU part, and make a unified chip themselves. But again, that is too expensive.

AMD was the only logical choice.

This. AMD is a one stop shop for APU's.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Microsoft wont work with nvidia again after they were screwed on the OG Xbox.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@wis3boi said:

this, nothing else that Sony or MS could do about it

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@vpacalypse:

Likely because I doubt Sony would have the Money for such a deal? Sony is not some huge behemoth with unending Cash reserves, and Xbox don't either since they are not exactly grenlit to spend all the Money of MS on something so halfpointless as a sonsole (in the grand scheme of Things).

No one with a sane mind would limit themselves like that so even if they could, I doubt AMD would accept.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@daious said:

@wis3boi said:

simple explanation - amd's over head < nvidias.. allowing them to take on consoles..

vpacalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vpacalypse

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@vpacalypse:

Likely because I doubt Sony would have the Money for such a deal? Sony is not some huge behemoth with unending Cash reserves, and Xbox don't either since they are not exactly grenlit to spend all the Money of MS on something so halfpointless as a sonsole (in the grand scheme of Things).

No one with a sane mind would limit themselves like that so even if they could, I doubt AMD would accept.

Makes sense, Thanks