AMD Takes back the GAMING CPU Crown after 15 Years!

• 94 results
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I was seriously considering getting a Zen 2 Ryzen CPU (like the 3700X) for my upcoming build but it might be worth waiting for the general consensus on the Zen 3 ones instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

5600x might be the way to go but will wait for benchmarks. Got my 3080 today so half the puzzle complete

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46222 Posts

@netracing said:

5600x might be the way to go but will wait for benchmarks. Got my 3080 today so half the puzzle complete

Nice. 5600X + RTX3080 will be a beast of a system. Especially at 1440p and 4K.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 R4gn4r0k

@rzxv04 said:
@fedor said:

@rzxv04: Big Navi is also expected to have stock issues. Apparently there isn't any AIB cards until 2021 either.

Great news then. Sold out for both companies.

PS5, Xbox Series, RTX3080 and Big Navi all sold out... time for some last gen gaming.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

@WESTBLADE85: you do realise the lower the resolution is the better for CPU benchmarks right? They are not benchmarking the gpu here.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@ten_pints said:

@WESTBLADE85: you do realise the lower the resolution is the better for CPU benchmarks right? They are not benchmarking the gpu here.

What he's saying is there's no point paying over the odds for better performance at lower resolutions when most people buying hardware in this price bracket will be gaming at 1440p or 4K and I happen to agree.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

Nice gains but I don't feel like buying a new mobo since mine is B350 so I'm gonna ride it out with a 3700X and maybe 4 years later upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

So are we ignoring the fact that big Navi is a dud? That card will have to launch at $599 or lower for people to care. And let’s see the raytracing performance.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 blueinheaven

@goldenelementxl said:

So are we ignoring the fact that big Navi is a dud? That card will have to launch at $599 or lower for people to care. And let’s see the raytracing performance.

It doesn't look impressive from what little we saw. It's not just RT that we need to see in action they need to have some kind of answer to DLSS specially if they're coming in at mid range yet again.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 R4gn4r0k

@blueinheaven said:
@goldenelementxl said:

It doesn't look impressive from what little we saw. It's not just RT that we need to see in action they need to have some kind of answer to DLSS specially if they're coming in at mid range yet again.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are like 5 games currently available that support DLSS. Nvidia also has a great history of launching certain features to sell their cards, only to drop them a few years later.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@blueinheaven said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are like 5 games currently available that support DLSS. Nvidia also has a great history of launching certain features to sell their cards, only to drop them a few years later.

There's like 8-9 games that support it and a couple dozen more that are adding support. But CP77 supports DLSS 2.0 so it's a must have IMO.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blueinheaven

@R4gn4r0k said:
@blueinheaven said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Yeah there's no guarantee we'll see blanket support but I think the big titles will all have it. Point is, if AMD are coming in at mid-range again they need a solution like DLSS more than Nvidia do which is kind of funny, or not depending how you look at it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

DLSS tech will not be dropped, it's game changing. Expect most future AAA titles to carry the tech.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#64 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@rzxv04 said:
@fedor said:

@rzxv04: Big Navi is also expected to have stock issues. Apparently there isn't any AIB cards until 2021 either.

Great news then. Sold out for both companies.

PS5, Xbox Series, RTX3080 and Big Navi all sold out... time for some last gen gaming.

Sweet.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

I guess I'll end up investing in one of these CPUs. I am a little let down by the prices though. Thought AMD would go for the ultimate bargain move.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@rzxv04 said:
@fedor said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@fedor said:

$650 would be less for the MSRP. AMD isn't going to be able to match price to performance against the 3080.

its easy to match the price to performance. The Nvidia costs $2500 last i checked

Yeah they aren't easy to get, that's for sure. Good thing EVGA is doing their queue system so everyone will have an opportunity to buy them at MSRP. But yeah, AMD is in a rough position, they aren't going to gain any ground in the high end being behind in price/performance.

Maybe this is their only window of opportunity. AMD to sell at MSRP while Nvidia can't sell at their's.

actually theres alot of people who aren't nvidia fanboys that get their panties twisted over trash gimmick features like physx and dsl 2.0 or whatever its called nowadays. We just want the best bang for buck, the best value, the cheapest price. I could care less if a game is 10fps lower or something at ultra high max settings. Alot of people who don't fall for fake news nvidia marketting hype will look very carefully at AMD's offering. At the end of the day, performance matters, but performance at ridiculous prices? Not worth it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Fedor

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@rzxv04 said:
@fedor said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@fedor said:

$650 would be less for the MSRP. AMD isn't going to be able to match price to performance against the 3080.

its easy to match the price to performance. The Nvidia costs $2500 last i checked

Yeah they aren't easy to get, that's for sure. Good thing EVGA is doing their queue system so everyone will have an opportunity to buy them at MSRP. But yeah, AMD is in a rough position, they aren't going to gain any ground in the high end being behind in price/performance.

Maybe this is their only window of opportunity. AMD to sell at MSRP while Nvidia can't sell at their's.

actually theres alot of people who aren't nvidia fanboys that get their panties twisted over trash gimmick features like physx and dsl 2.0 or whatever its called nowadays. We just want the best bang for buck, the best value, the cheapest price. I could care less if a game is 10fps lower or something at ultra high max settings. Alot of people who don't fall for fake news nvidia marketting hype will look very carefully at AMD's offering. At the end of the day, performance matters, but performance at ridiculous prices? Not worth it.

? Nvidia just dropped a ton of FE's today for $699 a pop. The 3080 is the best price to performance card on the market currently. Hardly a ridiculous price.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@rzxv04 said:
@fedor said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@fedor said:

I don't know. If people "didn't care" for DLSS 2.0, then wouldn't that mean they'd be okay with the better performance with titles that support DLSS then?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@fedor said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@rzxv04 said:
@fedor said:

? Nvidia just dropped a ton of FE's today for $699 a pop. The 3080 is the best price to performance card on the market currently. Hardly a ridiculous price.

oh really? I just did a quick check, and its out of stock everywhere. I went to ebay and its selling for $2500. This isn't the best price to performance card, not even close. Those scalper bots will always be faster.

Nvidia even said that stock issues won't resolve until 2021. AMD won't have anywhere near such issues because not as many fanboys, but for me thats even better, just means i'm not going to get fleeced and will have solid performance.

EVGA also has some queuing system, but who knows how that will work, or how long it will actually take. Hopefully it fixes the scalping issue, those bastards need to be screwed over, but i doubt it. The scalpers will probably use bots to make multiple accounts and crowd out everyone else. Good luck waiting for your card until 2021. I actually heard its 3rd party video card resellers that are scalping these cards, aka nvidia insiders. Pretty funny, but its not surprising.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 NoodleFighter

@fedor said:

Why am I just now hearing this? FML!

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Fedor

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@fedor said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@rzxv04 said:

oh really? I just did a quick check, and its out of stock everywhere. I went to ebay and its selling for $2500. This isn't the best price to performance card, not even close. Those scalper bots will always be faster.

Nvidia even said that stock issues won't resolve until 2021. AMD won't have anywhere near such issues because not as many fanboys, but for me thats even better, just means i'm not going to get fleeced and will have solid performance.

EVGA also has some queuing system, but who knows how that will work, or how long it will actually take. Hopefully it fixes the scalping issue, those bastards need to be screwed over, but i doubt it. The scalpers will probably use bots to make multiple accounts and crowd out everyone else. Good luck waiting for your card until 2021. I actually heard its 3rd party video card resellers that are scalping these cards, aka nvidia insiders. Pretty funny, but its not surprising.

Lol, well yeah they go fast. If you think you'll just be able to leisurely go to newegg or something and get a RDNA2 card, I have bad news for you. RDNA2 is going to get scalped hard, that's the way it goes. The queue system is working fine, I have a 9/19 date so I'm pretty happy about that. Good luck getting a Navi without being there at launch F5in your ass off. Oh and BTW, MSI was the AIB scalping, they also are an AIB for AMD.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Fedor

@NoodleFighter said:
@fedor said:

I missed it too, all Nvidia FE cards are going to be sold via Best Buy until they fix their site.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/402196/nvidia-store-update-geforce-rtx-3080-and-rtx-3090-/

EVGA and Gigabyte also dropped at the same time. Get yourself into a stock update discord.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NoodleFighter

@fedor: doyou know any that I can join? I remember two members on here talking about it but I can't remember the thread and posters.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Fedor

@NoodleFighter: Open up your DM's and I'll send ya a link.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#75 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

The key to getting a 3080 or Big Navi is to get it back-ordered. Get in queue. That is how I got my 3080. I back-ordered on launch day as soon as I saw how ridiculous the online buying experience was. Got to outsmart the bots...

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 NoodleFighter

@fedor: okay I opened them, didn't know I had it disabled

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

GarbageBintel on Chapter 11 watch.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

It's official +19% increase in IPC!!! The biggest jump in since the original Ryzen launch. After several years of trying since Ryzen launch AMD has officially taken the performance crown back!!

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Xtasy26: Here is a better shot for the gaming benchmarks:

Source: tweakers / AMD
Source: tweakers / AMD

Somethings fishy here.... The 5900X is 5% better than a 10900K in Shadow of the Tomb raider and 28% better than 3900XT?

How sway?... When the 10900K is only 2.5% better than the 3900XT!

According to AMD's maths 10900K is 23% better at 1080p in Shadow of the Tomb Raider!

Oh AMD!...

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Fedor

@NoodleFighter said:

@fedor: okay I opened them, didn't know I had it disabled

Sent

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 R4gn4r0k

@fedor said:

There's like 8-9 games that support it and a couple dozen more that are adding support. But CP77 supports DLSS 2.0 so it's a must have IMO.

@blueinheaven said:

Yeah there's no guarantee we'll see blanket support but I think the big titles will all have it. Point is, if AMD are coming in at mid-range again they need a solution like DLSS more than Nvidia do which is kind of funny, or not depending how you look at it.

I could be wrong here but is FidelityFX upsampling something AMD uses that is like DLSS?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Fedor

@R4gn4r0k: Yep, DLSS 2.0 performs slightly better though and has better image quality.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 blueinheaven

@R4gn4r0k said:
@fedor said:

@blueinheaven said:

I could be wrong here but is FidelityFX upsampling something AMD uses that is like DLSS?

Yes it's similar but from what I've read it's not as good it concentrates more on sharpening the upscale whereas DLSS 2.0 has a lot more detail in the final image. FFX seems to brighten and soften the image, DLSS 2.0 produces a near flawless 4K image in games that support it.

Maybe the new cards will have an improved version of FidelityFX which will make things interesting as unlike DLSS games won't need to have code written for the support though FFX has its own problems in terms of not supporting games written for earlier versions of DX.

Really the answer is to just buy a 3080 and run games at native 4K without having to worry about any of this stuff, if the 3080 even exists as something you can purchase I'm beginning to think it was all a joke.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 R4gn4r0k

@blueinheaven said:

Yes it's similar but from what I've read it's not as good it concentrates more on sharpening the upscale whereas DLSS 2.0 has a lot more detail in the final image. FFX seems to brighten and soften the image, DLSS 2.0 produces a near flawless 4K image in games that support it.

Maybe the new cards will have an improved version of FidelityFX which will make things interesting as unlike DLSS games won't need to have code written for the support though FFX has its own problems in terms of not supporting games written for earlier versions of DX.

Really the answer is to just buy a 3080 and run games at native 4K without having to worry about any of this stuff, if the 3080 even exists as something you can purchase I'm beginning to think it was all a joke.

I was on the nvidia reddit today and the situation is just laughable. A store becoming fed up and just sharing the numbers:

Something around a 1000 people ordered a ASUS TUF card and only 30 were delivered.

Around 6500 people ordered a RTX3080 and about 450 were delivered.

Most people haven't managed to get one and most people won't be able to get one for Cyberpunk 2077 either. Which is the big seller here.

I keep reading articles from sites like PC gamer on how people are fed up trying to get one, and while browsing the site I get ads to buy... you guessed it: a RTX3080 card, which is impossible to get.

Maybe the situation will improve after 3070 and big navi launched? Or maybe history will just repeat itself.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 R4gn4r0k
@fedor said:

@R4gn4r0k: Yep, DLSS 2.0 performs slightly better though and has better image quality.

I can't wait to see it myself, as I'm currently still rocking a GTX1080ti. And am wondering if it incurs any input delay at all, as other reconstructing like checkerboarding sometimes does. I'm hearing it doesn't, which just sounds wonderful.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I'm an intel guy, but this is great news. More power and lower prices around the board is great for consumers; however, no numbers on the bench charts is a little strange.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 blueinheaven

@R4gn4r0k said:
@blueinheaven said:

I was on the nvidia reddit today and the situation is just laughable. A store becoming fed up and just sharing the numbers:

Something around a 1000 people ordered a ASUS TUF card and only 30 were delivered.

Around 6500 people ordered a RTX3080 and about 450 were delivered.

Most people haven't managed to get one and most people won't be able to get one for Cyberpunk 2077 either. Which is the big seller here.

I keep reading articles from sites like PC gamer on how people are fed up trying to get one, and while browsing the site I get ads to buy... you guessed it: a RTX3080 card, which is impossible to get.

Maybe the situation will improve after 3070 and big navi launched? Or maybe history will just repeat itself.

It's really frustrating for me as my new build will be literally from scratch and I know exactly what I want but the only component I can't get my hands on is the 3080. I'm not the only one pissed off by this, the door is open for AMD but their teaser for the new card was hugely underwhelming and if they adopt the same price strategy as they have with their new CPU's whatever they come up with won't be cheap.

Like it or not we're all playing the waiting game. The more I think about it I might just sit it out and wait for a 3080 Ti or even a 3070 Ti because 10mb VRAM on the 3080 just doesn't cut it considering the price. Maybe Nvidia are doing us all a favour by pretending the 3080 doesn't actually exist except on paper.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 R4gn4r0k

@blueinheaven said:

It's really frustrating for me as my new build will be literally from scratch and I know exactly what I want but the only component I can't get my hands on is the 3080. I'm not the only one pissed off by this, the door is open for AMD but their teaser for the new card was hugely underwhelming and if they adopt the same price strategy as they have with their new CPU's whatever they come up with won't be cheap.

Like it or not we're all playing the waiting game. The more I think about it I might just sit it out and wait for a 3080 Ti or even a 3070 Ti because 10mb VRAM on the 3080 just doesn't cut it considering the price. Maybe Nvidia are doing us all a favour by pretending the 3080 doesn't actually exist except on paper.

Yeah it's incredibly frustrating a company would launch a product that many are anticipating (even more since the 2000 series wasn't all that impressive performance wise compared to previous gens). And than it turns out there are barely enough to go around.

The situation should improve once the RTX3070 and Big Navi launch. A lot of people will either cancel their preorder or wonder why they need a 800 dollar card, when a 500-600 card will do just fine.

On the other hand the corona crisis doesn't help either. Because people now have a lot more money to be spending on entertainment, with a lot of other hobbies falling along the sidelines.

It's impossible to predict, but the situation should improve this year. But it's not clear when.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#89  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@blueinheaven: 20GB versions of 3080 are rumoured to be coming out in December, but they will be more expensive. 10GB VRAM will be sufficient for the next few years and by the time 10GB+ becomes a regular thing in games, you will probably want more performance than a 3080 anyway. So, would you rather pay more for something you don't need now or put that money towards your next GPU which will have more VRAM anyway?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@fedor said:

I know this is late for me saying this. Nvidia decided to partner up with Best Buy to be selling Nvidia's own FE cards cause Nvidia didn't expect the cooler airflow design to be taking off like that and let Best Buy fill in the orders for the FE.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@BassMan said:

@blueinheaven: 20GB versions of 3080 are rumoured to be coming out in December, but they will be more expensive. 10GB VRAM will be sufficient for the next few years and by the time 10GB+ becomes a regular thing in games, you will probably want more performance than a 3080 anyway. So, would you rather pay more for something you don't need now or put that money towards your next GPU which will have more VRAM anyway?

20GB version is just for futureproof in ways. I don't see 20GB to be taking advantage anytime soon and I agree 10GB VRAM is more than enough for several years until it fully becomes obsolete. If anyone really wants more VRAM, you might as well go buy 3090.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

More than 10gb Vram might become important for people gaming in 4k for the next generation of cards after this (2022) but spending more for a 20gb version of the same card this generation for gaming is just ignorance.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 NoodleFighter
@BassMan said:

The key to getting a 3080 or Big Navi is to get it back-ordered. Get in queue. That is how I got my 3080. I back-ordered on launch day as soon as I saw how ridiculous the online buying experience was. Got to outsmart the bots...

My dumbass thought that if I waited till November I could get one bundled with Cyberpunk 2077 or a mini itx variant. Seems I won't be able to make my order with EVGA until late October/Early November since I am reading online of people that back-ordered in September with EVGA are just now getting the option to purchase. Oh well that isn't too long and gives me time to spend the money I currently have saved for upgrades now on any possible deals for 2TB NVMEs and Ryzen 3700X on Prime Day.

@davillain- said:

I know this is late for me saying this. Nvidia decided to partner up with Best Buy to be selling Nvidia's own FE cards cause Nvidia didn't expect the cooler airflow design to be taking off like that and let Best Buy fill in the orders for the FE.

I know that and it doesn't change anything at all. Best Buy doesn't have a way to counter bots and mass buyers. If they were making you come in person to buy them it would be different but they're all online only so Nvidia basically did nothing at all in handling this problem.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 blueinheaven

@BassMan said:

There's no way to tell if 10GB won't be a bottleneck in some games over the next couple of years. It's unlikely but not impossible. Point is, for the money you're paying for a 3080 it shouldn't be coming with less VRAM than a 2080 Ti.

Why would they even need to go to 20GB that's a crazy move in the opposite direction. I actually think Nvidia are waiting for AMD to show their hand and we'll see 12GB or 16GB variants which will be more than enough for people who want some kind of future proofing. They have to be holding something back knowing AMD will be launching with 16GB cards from the off.

The 3080 won't be 'old news' in a few years time look how long the 2080 Ti was top of the heap. If they release a 20GB version that's way more expensive I'll just ignore it and get the 3070 Ti 16GB version (also strongly rumoured) if it's close enough in performance or maybe I'll just end up with the standard 3080 I mean 10GB is not a disaster just not what I would expect from a flagship new generation Nvidia card.

Obviously there's no room in the conversation for the 3090 since we all know it's a Titan replacement in all but name and hence is prohibitively expensive for small performance gains.

It feels weird to have been so excited for a launch then so deflated in such a short space of time. I'm half hoping AMD shock everyone with their new cards and Nvidia (and their bot partners) are left with a ton of invisible graphics cards they can't sell. Fat chance of that though.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@blueinheaven: VRAM capacity is dependant on the bit's, in order to get 12GB 3080 you would need a 384 bit bus which would increase the price but also offer only a 2GB difference, its not cost effect and most people just wouldn't buy if unless its a 3090 chip with 1/2 VRAM.

To get 16GB from a 3080 you would also need to drop the bus to 256bits and that will reduce the memory bandwidth so its a bad move as you would reduce performance.

20GB is the only option.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 blueinheaven

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@blueinheaven: VRAM capacity is dependant on the bit's, in order to get 12GB 3080 you would need a 384 bit bus which would increase the price but also offer only a 2GB difference, its not cost effect and most people just wouldn't buy if unless its a 3090 chip with 1/2 VRAM.

To get 16GB from a 3080 you would also need to drop the bus to 256bits and that will reduce the memory bandwidth so its a bad move as you would reduce performance.

20GB is the only option.

I see your point but a 2GB difference might be all you need for games that need that extra bit of room and if you give people the choice of paying a bit extra for a 12GB 3080 I think a lot of people would take it, I would.

The AMD cards are expected to come with 16GB as standard obviously at 256 bits so will perform under the 3080 but will appear more attractive to some gamers with the extra VRAM. Perception is everything with these things, some people just look at the raw specs and make a buying decision based on that. Not everyone will be looking for benchmarks online or from Youtubers.

It's probably much ado about nothing. I don't imagine many devs will be making games with more than 10GB VRAM in mind for ultra settings as an i.e. but personally I'd rather just take the 'probably' out of the equation. If we've learned anything about PC gaming over the years it's that specs we think are more than enough for everything are often proved not to be true sooner or later.

Of course if you're going to buy new GPU's as they are released none of this matters but that's an expensive solution. Better to future proof even if you think you won't need it, IMO.