NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

AMD confirmed that their RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPU will release before the PS5 and Xbox Series X during their Bank Of America Security 2020 conference. So that means the rumors of RDNA 2 and Ampere coming out in September are becoming more true.

Big Navi is going to be their flagship product so it will be the most powerful RDNA 2 GPU they have similar to Nvidia's RTX 2080 Ti. AMD also confirmed that RDNA 2 won't just be for the high end range but the entire radeon line and even APUs.

pcgamer article

Kumar has reiterated that AMD remains "on track to launch our next-generation Zen 3 CPUs and RDNA 2 GPUs in late 2020," which suggests to me that we're looking at sometime around September/October for Big Navi if it is to beat the new games consoles to launch.

"The RDNA 2 architecture goes through the entire stack," says Kumar, "it will go from mainstream GPUs all the way up to the enthusiasts and then the architecture also goes into the game console products... as well as our integrated APU products.

"This allows us to leverage the larger ecosystem, accelerate the development of exciting features like ray tracing and more."

Even though I plan on getting an Ampere card I'm still excited to see what AMD brings to the table. RDNA 2 really only needs to compete with RTX 20 series to be passable for me. Especially if they make the cost of entry for ray tracing cards lower so we can get more games that support it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17794 Posts

I look forward to seeing what they have to offer. Hopefully they are competitive with Nvidia so that GPU prices are reasonable. Nvidia has been price gouging for far too long due to lack of competition.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Looking forward to performance gains, before consoles is funny.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Unless they fire there entire driver team i couldn't care even remotely about there card. Only usefulness of that card will be pressing nvidia's pricing.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

If this is properly priced and has good drivers at launch, I expect this lineup to sell well. Then again, people will still buy Nvidia.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@jasonofa36: if they are better cards than Nvidia people will buy them lol

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@howmakewood: Yeah. The 5700 and 5700 XT are solid cards for their price, but the initial driver releases were so bad, people avoided them.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

The end of sleepless nights for hermits is on the horizon

HaH

#xbsxkeepingthemupatnight

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17794 Posts

@bluestars said:

The end of sleepless nights for hermits is on the horizon

HaH

#xbsxkeepingthemupatnight

Your trolling is shit. Why would a hermit fear any console? It makes no sense. LOL

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

Consoles outdated before launch LMAO

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Unless they fire there entire driver team i couldn't care even remotely about there card. Only usefulness of that card will be pressing nvidia's pricing.

Does AMD still have driver problems? I've just stuck to Nvidia for a fair time now.

I've never felt attracted to AMD products. I have nothing against them, I'm sure I'd be fine using their products, but their entire marketing seems to revolve around their products being more affordable. They're like the Skoda of the PC industry, ya know sometimes people like to pay more for a Mercedes Benz.

I don't have a problem with things costing less, only that they come off like that's their main feature, like that's the main thing they're about.

Idk, it's just not exciting that my main reason for using AMD is to save money. They've turned that around a bit with their CPUs. Idk, whatever...

I have a feeling people might not get what I'm saying. :-P

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15902 Posts

Come on Radeon give us a good show! time for u to attack the nvidia line with monster performance at affordable price.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

From what cerny said we should see something at least equivalent to the PS5 since they worked together. Would love for AMD to kick Nvidia down a little but I think Nvidia will quickly release something if they do.

Side note: I wonder if we will see quicker emulation of the PS5 due to this fact.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bluestars

@BassMan:

The meltdown since the XBSX DF reveal and leaks beforehand say otherwise

Denial is futile,I know it,you know it,we all know it

DF experts confirming the series x version of gears 5 was doing stuff pc couldn’t do must have had you all emotional n shit

HaH

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HalcyonScarlet

@npiet1 said:

From what cerny said we should see something at least equivalent to the PS5 since they worked together. Would love for AMD to kick Nvidia down a little but I think Nvidia will quickly release something if they do.

Side note: I wonder if we will see quicker emulation of the PS5 due to this fact.

I heard Ampere is gonna be pretty good, so we'l see I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

LOL AMD GPUs

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HalcyonScarlet

@goldenelementxl said:

LOL AMD GPUs

I like how blunt you are. XD

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

@BassMan said:

I look forward to seeing what they have to offer. Hopefully they are competitive with Nvidia so that GPU prices are reasonable. Nvidia has been price gouging for far too long due to lack of competition.

I'm an Nvidia fanboy and even I can call out Nvidia insane prices are BS! I just don't expect nothing coming good from AMD GPU anymore, they all been disappointing. I expect nothing good coming from RDNA 2.

But I do love AMD's Ryzen CPU, never going back to Intel.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

But will playing games with one arm be tough since you had to sell your other arm to buy one? lol :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@bluestars: which meltdowns would those be? The ones where cows kept posting about the power of the SSD, or the ones where Lems post spam about 16-bit precision to inflate their TFLOPS count?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I look forward to seeing what they have at the top end, its been a while since I had a AMD GPU... But Ampere looks like its going to wash over anything AMD have.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Gatygun said:

Does AMD still have driver problems? I've just stuck to Nvidia for a fair time now.

I've never felt attracted to AMD products. I have nothing against them, I'm sure I'd be fine using their products, but their entire marketing seems to revolve around their products being more affordable. They're like the Skoda of the PC industry, ya know sometimes people like to pay more for a Mercedes Benz.

I don't have a problem with things costing less, only that they come off like that's their main feature, like that's the main thing they're about.

Idk, it's just not exciting that my main reason for using AMD is to save money. They've turned that around a bit with their CPUs. Idk, whatever...

Yep, AMD cards still have driver issues. I have an AMD 580 RX in my HTPC and it sometimes doesn't detect the video card input and I have to re-plug in the HDMI cord or flux doesn't work and I have to temporarily change the resolution for it to work.

I have flux on my Nvidia laptop and it never has the issues that the AMD card has. The more recent AMD drivers made a bit of a difference, but the problems still happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@npiet1 said:

Already available, it's called a 5700 XT.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@npiet1 said:

Already available, it's called a 5700 XT.

No RT though.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HalcyonScarlet

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Gatygun said:

Yep, AMD cards still have driver issues. I have an AMD 580 RX in my HTPC and it sometimes doesn't detect the video card input and I have to re-plug in the HDMI cord or flux doesn't work and I have to temporarily change the resolution for it to work.

I have flux on my Nvidia laptop and it never has the issues that the AMD card has. The more recent AMD drivers made a bit of a difference, but the problems still happen.

To be honest, my Nvidia GTX 1060 has stopped outputting audio over HDMI. It's fine, I don't need that, but still. Then again, I don't know if that's Nvidia or Gigabyte who but the card together.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Gatygun said:

To be honest, my Nvidia GTX 1060 has stopped outputting audio over HDMI. It's fine, I don't need that, but still. Then again, I don't know if that's Nvidia or Gigabyte who but the card together.

If new driver installs don't fix that, then it's probably the cord or the card. Did you try a new cord already?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I look forward to seeing what they have at the top end, its been a while since I had a AMD GPU... But Ampere looks like its going to wash over anything AMD have.

Ya think? PC gamers are giving AMD's GPU to much credit when it comes to high-end market. Anyone's thinking RDNA 2 is gonna destroyed Ampere are gonna be in a big surprise XD

(Prove me wrong AMD)

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

If this were six months ago, I would reply saying I actually like the AMD drivers and I've had no issues with my R9 Fury. And how I'm using AMD's FreeSync technology and how I override HairWorks with the AMD "TressFX" (is that what it's called?) version of tesselation for a boost in performance and how all of this works for me with no issues and how all the downplaying about drivers is just nVidia mind share...

And then I downloaded the Adrenalin 2020 Drivers. Yikes. I had to uninstall all video drivers to the Windows Basic Video drivers, and then re-install from scratch the latest Adrenalin 2019 drivers. Still using those older drivers to this day. It's clear they designed these Adrenalin 2020 drivers for the RDNA and Vega cards. They should not have allowed older GCN cards to even update to these new drivers.

My brother has an older R9 290 and has the same issues with the new drivers that I had. What a disaster.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bluestars

@xantufrog:

The ones where hermits laughed at the rumoured 12 tflops console And the ones damage controlling With a 3080 since it was confirmed a12 tflop navi console

HAH

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HalcyonScarlet

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Gatygun said:

If new driver installs don't fix that, then it's probably the cord or the card. Did you try a new cord already?

Yeah, it's very likely the card.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@bluestars said:

@xantufrog:

The ones where hermits laughed at the rumoured 12 tflops console And the ones damage controlling With a 3080 since it was confirmed a12 tflop navi console

LMAO!!! Like you need a RTX3080 to beat a XSX. Your insecurity is just leaking through every post you make.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@organic_machine said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

If this were six months ago, I would reply saying I actually like the AMD drivers and I've had no issues with my R9 Fury. And how I'm using AMD's FreeSync technology and how I override HairWorks with the AMD "TressFX" (is that what it's called?) version of tesselation for a boost in performance and how all of this works for me with no issues and how all the downplaying about drivers is just nVidia mind share...

And then I downloaded the Adrenalin 2020 Drivers. Yikes. I had to uninstall all video drivers to the Windows Basic Video drivers, and then re-install from scratch the latest Adrenalin 2019 drivers. Still using those older drivers to this day. It's clear they designed these Adrenalin 2020 drivers for the RDNA and Vega cards. They should not have allowed older GCN cards to even update to these new drivers.

My brother has an older R9 290 and has the same issues with the new drivers that I had. What a disaster.

Agreed - I hadn't had issues for a long time, and in fact had a much worse experience with my GTX970. I would have argued this is a dated narrative by people who haven't used AMD in a long time. BUT - the new revision of the AMD driver platform is unstable crap (and FYI I'm having issues on a Vega 64)

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@BassMan said:

This is the bottom line that both AMD and NVIDIA fans should be excited for. Almost a thousand bucks for whats not even their highest end GPU? I still remember getting a new high end GPU for less than $200 bucks in early 2009 (HD 4870), can't wait to kick NVIDIA and their gouging BS to the curb once again.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

woot, I've been waiting for this card so I can upgrade my Vega 64.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 organic_machine

@xantufrog said:

(and FYI I'm having issues on a Vega 64)

So it seems the Adrenalin 2020 drivers are having issues on all GCN-based cards. Ugh... What a mess!

Downgrading to the Adrenalin 2019 drivers worked miracles for me. That's my recommendation at this point.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@davillain- said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Ya think? PC gamers are giving AMD's GPU to much credit when it comes to high-end market. Anyone's thinking RDNA 2 is gonna destroyed Ampere are gonna be in a big surprise XD

(Prove me wrong AMD)

Its always fanboys.

They hyped up Vega, Radeon 7 and Navi... all of which were a generation behind in performance.

The trouble with AMD is that unless they DRASTICALLY increase IPC they are limited to CU count increases and frequencies which even at 7nm will be a issue when it comes to TDP.

56 CU XSX is close to RTX 2080 performance... So I cannot imagine what TDP, price, and heat a 64 CU RDNA2 chip will have and it chances are it will struggle to beat a RTX 2080 Ti in performance rasterisation and ray tracing ability.

I have a feeling it will be a two card setup like Navi and Vega, and will come in at $400 and $500, that will just replace their current lineup... Which sounds impressive now but that level of price to performance will pretty much be match by Ampere.

Its almost sad when you think about it, I hope I am wrong and AMD manage to get more than 64 CU's have a answer to even a RTX 3080... But I doubt it.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts
@BassMan said:

That's optimistic. nvidia is planning to release RTX3000 at the same time as AMD does RDNA2, and if a 3070 can really rival 2080Ti, AMD's high end will be in the middle on day 1.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By organic_machine

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
56 CU XSX is close to RTX 2080 performance... So I cannot imagine what TDP, price, and heat a 64 CU RDNA2 chip will have and it chances are it will struggle to beat a RTX 2080 Ti in performance rasterisation and ray tracing ability.

The RDNA2 release should be interesting.

The XSX is close to the RTX 2080 performance. It does this with a die size of 360 mm² compared to the RTX 2080's 545 mm². Meaning RDNA2 *appears* (key word here) to be incredibly efficient.

You can imagine therefore the expectations of "Big Navi" being quite good. Granted, performance of increasing CU counts does NOT scale linearly. So we'll see. Some leaks have shown that "Big Navi" performs up to 30% better in some synthetic tests than the RTX 2080Ti. But those are just rumors.

But it does make you wonder now that nVidia are planning another Titan card if they are preparing for the RDNA2 cards to actually live up to expectations.

Time will tell.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DragonfireXZ95

@xantufrog said:
@organic_machine said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Agreed - I hadn't had issues for a long time, and in fact had a much worse experience with my GTX970. I would have argued this is a dated narrative by people who haven't used AMD in a long time. BUT - the new revision of the AMD driver platform is unstable crap (and FYI I'm having issues on a Vega 64)

Funny, because the new drivers actually helped my RX 580. What does that tell you about AMD drivers? :P

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@organic_machine said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The RDNA2 release should be interesting.

The XSX is close to the RTX 2080 performance. It does this with a die size of 360 mm² compared to the RTX 2080's 545 mm². Meaning RDNA2 *appears* (key word here) to be incredibly efficient.

You can imagine therefore the expectations of "Big Navi" being quite good. Granted, performance of increasing CU counts does NOT scale linearly. So we'll see. Some leaks have shown that "Big Navi" performs up to 30% better in some synthetic tests than the RTX 2080Ti. But those are just rumors.

But it does make you wonder now that nVidia are planning another Titan card if they are preparing for the RDNA2 cards to actually live up to expectations.

Time will tell.

Not really a sign of anything... Just look at RDNA vs Turing:

RDNA 5700 and XT both have smaller die size than Turing but draws more power in their performance range and that is against GPU's at 12nm while Navi is on 7nm.

Also as we have seen with X1X TDP on the console was custom tuned, the PC varient was 50-60w higher with a smaller die size in Polaris RX 480/580/590, so if a 52 CU chip in a XSX required all that PC like case design and more power to manage... Its not a good sign for the PC variant of that GPU let alone one with more CU's... We can be looking at another 64 CU 295w GPU from AMD with heat issues.

Die size is the same as TFLOPs it can only be measured against the same family of processors... Outside that is has little to no weight.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Random_Matt:

That's RDNA1 not RDNA2.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 organic_machine

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

A 5700 and XT both have smaller die size than Turing but draws more power in their performance range and that is against GPU's at 12nm while Navi is on 7nm.

Also as we have seen with X1X TDP on the console was custom tuned, the PC varient was 50-60w higher with a smaller die size in Polaris RX 480/580/590, so if a 52 CU chip in a XSX required all that PC like case design and more power to manage... Its not a good sign for the PC variant of that GPU let alone one with more CU's... We can be looking at another 64 CU 295w GPU from AMD with heat issues.

Die size is the same as TFLOPs it can only be measured against the same family of processors... Outside that is has little to no weight.

You're absolutely right. Especially on the bolded.

I have three thoughts, however:

1) Polaris was never meant to be high end. When Polaris was first introduced, it was meant to be mid-range running at significantly less power. Funny how that turned out.

2) Having the XSX compare to the RTX 2080, which is a $700 card (often sells for much higher on Newegg), puts it ahead of anything Polaris ever achieved.

3) The leaks. Take them with a grain of salt. The leaks that "Big Navi" being up to 30% faster than the RTX 2080 TI have big implications. We've had leaks like this before, but they've always flown in the face of AMD's own tech demos (Remember When Vega 64 was revealed and it was at best on par with the GTX 1080 in AMD's OWN demos?).

What do I think? I am not sure. Can RDNA 2 REALLY be that significantly more efficient than RDNA 1? Is that even possible? I don't know, to be honest. But I consider myself cautiously optimistic, especially considering everyone thought Ryzen was going to be at best on par with Ivy Bridge (I remember people saying that before Ryzen Gen 1 launched).

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@bluestars said:

@xantufrog:

HAH

Context is everything and you sir clearly have no concept of it.

12 TFLOPS is vague.

The hermits like me argued that 12 TFLOPS wasn't possible on TDP of a console when Navi didn't exist and all we had was GCN which is not possible to get 12 TFLOPs on a console still with GCN.

BUT like usual you post the vague because you don't understand the details of the technology.

To you 4K is 4K and on a console its the same as 4K on PC even though the PC is 60FPS and Ultra settings... Its the same thing, but a you can see the difference between a PS4 and X1 when its 2FPS difference with one setting lower than the other.

No Context, fanboy goggles and plain retar*ation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca

@tormentos said:

@Random_Matt:

That's RDNA1 not RDNA2.

Never said it was.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-642321fb121ca

Buildzoid already did a video on the wild claims of the big navi, none of it adds up. The most realistic scenario is a small bit faster than a 2080ti.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bluestars

@fedor:

3080 damage control..straight from the hermits mouths

HaH

“Bu bu bu when the 3080 comes out the XBSX will be mid gen”

Bless

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#48 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

Hope its good. I haven't bought an AMD card since around 2009. I think it was the 5870... still use it in an older PC.

I've stuck with Nvidia since - GTX 680->970->1080

heh, yea i'm in the same boat... except I went 5850 - GTX 670 - 970 - 1080 lol

I'd happily go back to AMD if they start putting out good cards again

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bluestars

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Boom?

That was the sound of hermits arses when the true power of series x was revealed

DF it’s doing things that pc can’t.... OOOF, experts keeping it real

HaH

Bu bu but 3080

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator

@bluestars said: