Am I the only one who feels BioShock is overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xterminator77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Xterminator77
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts
I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

yes you are now go meditate and become one with the game

you will better understand it than

xTHExJUICEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xTHExJUICEx
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts
No, your just in the minority.
will_work4food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 will_work4food
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

I don't, But I don't play single player games more than once anyway.

darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.Xterminator77

I agree. I also thought the final boss and ending cutscenes were awfully done.
Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts
I thought it sucked. Just not my type of game. I couldn't find the urge to play the game.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

I think its overrated for different reasons.

Its basically just System Shock 2 underwater, and for dummies.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
Nah, it was good, but I had several key plot points spoiled for me so it didn't have the same effect on me as it seems to have had on everyone else.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

[QUOTE="Xterminator77"]I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.darklord888

I agree. I also thought the final boss and ending cutscenes were awfully done.

The final boss was seriously awful. I mean [spoiler] What the hell, Fontaine looked like a big black turd [/spoiler]

LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LastRedMage
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts
igot bored15 minutes in and never touched it again its the most overrated game of all time you just wonder around endlessly
LastRedMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LastRedMage
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts
igot bored15 minutes in and never touched it again its the most overrated game of all time you just wonder around endlessly
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.Xterminator77

Yes. I thought it was much better than any JRPG (that's the type of RPG I play most) I played, so...yeah it's you.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts

[QUOTE="Xterminator77"]I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.dkhw

Yes. I thought it was much better than any JRPG (that's the type of RPG I play most) I played, so...yeah it's you.

What?

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dkhw
[QUOTE="dkhw"]

[QUOTE="Xterminator77"]I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.Dynafrom

What?

Bioshock, at its core, a RPG game although it has shooter elements to it.

TkLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TkLive
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts

dkhw

Bioshock doesn't have any RPG elements in it. It's actually pretty linear, as well. If any FPS has RPG elements, it's STALKER.

Xterminator77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Xterminator77
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts
[QUOTE="Dynafrom"][QUOTE="dkhw"]

[QUOTE="Xterminator77"]I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.dkhw

What?

The hell it is, the upgrades are minimal at most and the game is completely linear, it is a FPS with a dash of RPG elements in it, near the end you end up with the same stuff or simmilar regardless of your decisions. Its not like you get to choose a class or anything.

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dkhw
[QUOTE="dkhw"][QUOTE="Dynafrom"][QUOTE="dkhw"]

[QUOTE="Xterminator77"]I bought this for the PC when it came out, it was alot of fun yes and well done, but after beating it once I have no desire to ever touch it again. I found it gets a tad repetitive near the end and well I am surprised that it gets GOTY at so many places, I mean its good yes, but not That good, and not worth playing more than once.Xterminator77

What?

The hell it is, the upgrades are minimal at most and the game is completely linear, it is a FPS with a dash of RPG elements in it, near the end you end up with the same stuff or simmilar regardless of your decisions. Its not like you get to choose a class or anything.

It's true that RPG elements are not as direct, but it's there

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I feel the game has bad value, but all the elements it has are pretty awesome. I doubt it was get AAA on the old scale since Value = 7.
Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

9.0 is not overrated for this game...id say its a really fair score

halo 3 on the other hand..

jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts
Compared to system shock 2, this game is terrible. On it's own it's a pretty good game, but a rental though.. I almost never buy single player non rpg games o.o
Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
I personally absolutely loved it (as reflected by my score of it). Though System Shock 2 is superior.
eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
i thought it was pretty boring and hated the idea that the meat of a well written story was scattered around in stupid tape decks... like seriously who the fvck walks around carrying a 20 pound transcriber while stopping every so often pulling this unwieldy contraption out to incessantly prattle on about mundane details of their lives and/or incriminating confessionals, and on top of that like half of the population of Rapture did that?
septikvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 septikvirus
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
no
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts

It doesn't quite have the highest replay value, but what an amazing experience it was....

*reminisces*

Avatar image for DiegoArmando200
DiegoArmando200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DiegoArmando200
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

(I did play the Xbox360 version, so perhaps my complaints are nullified in the PC version, though I doubt it.)

I agree. The dialogue was excellent, the game as a whole was pretty atmospheric, the graphics were solid,but I suppose I never really got into it. The enemies are pretty dull. There are only 3 basevarieties, not creative or revolutionary in any way, and although the game seems to encourage using your creativity to find ways to use up all of your Adam on one enemy, I feel that it's just easier to use other weapons. I'll create a much more indepth review at some point, but I'll probably give it a 6.0-6.5

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

It is disappointing.

zero_snake99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zero_snake99
Member since 2004 • 3478 Posts
[QUOTE="dkhw"]

TkLive

Bioshock doesn't have any RPG elements in it. It's actually pretty linear, as well. If any FPS has RPG elements, it's STALKER.

100% agreed...I hate it how people say its an "RPG"..it has no "ARE PEE GEE" elements to it...

Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts
Spectacular atmosphere is what saved that game. But if you think it was overrated, then you are going to love Yatzee's old review of it on Zero Punctuation -->http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

In short, Yes.

Bioshock is easily one of my favorite games this year and should definitely havebeen GOTY IMO.

SpinoRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpinoRaptor
Member since 2006 • 2419 Posts
Bioshock was a great game, but the ending absolutely sucked, compared to how great the story was.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I found Bioshock to be a significant step backwards from similar titles like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. The combat was weak, the story was good but not great, the plasmids/gene tonics were unbalanced and the much hyped "moral" decision was borderline meaningless. Its by no means a bad game, but it's definitely overrated.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#32 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
No, you're not the only one. I too feel it is grossly overrated. It's a 8.5 game, not the 9.5+ that most sites give it, gloriously ignoring it's massive gameplay faults. And really, what makes it 8.5 is the presentation, and that's it. It's really just a decent game in every other aspect, not great, certainly not awesome. What really I find baffling is when people call it revolutionary. People, it does nothing new, and most of what it does do are direct copies of it's spiritual ascestor, SS2.