Am I a cheapskate? I get free games off Epic.

• 62 results
ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Epic make their choice to do this and they want you to do it. Free is cheap and that is not bad!! Buddy let me ask you why you feel bad when you get a good deal?

Is Game Pass making you feel bad too and all the Xbox Gamers? I feel very good and happy about this and I am seeing happy Game Pass Gamers everywhere!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#52 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

@lavamelon said:

@uninspiredcup: I know Epic wants more market share. I don’t blame them for wanting a bigger slice of the pie. But why is it wrong for Epic to pursue more market share but it’s okay for Steam to actually have the market share? Having market share is okay, but trying to chase it is wrong? Makes zero sense to me. Whenever I raise this question, people quickly defend Steam by saying “but Valve is not an evil company, they don’t run around sacrificing innocent kittens for it’s okay for them to have a tons of market share, unlike Epic who are evil”. Well, okay.

They are free to do as they please.

Me personally, the whole "pay for exclusive" to deny other platforms for a time period just annoyed me on principle.

So I don't like em', simple as that. Rubbed me the wrong way.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 675 Posts

I don't like tencent so i don't spend money on the epic store, but i do get their free games since that doesn't benefit them.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@uninspiredcup: The only reason why Valve doesn’t pay for exclusives is because they already have tons of market share, they don’t need to pay for exclusives. If the situation was reversed so that Epic Games had loads of market share and Valve had the leftover crumbs, then Valve would likely be the ones paying for exclusives instead of Epic. This is something that PC gamers fail to understand. You guys are subconsciously supporting the big guy here. Assuming that the reason why Valve doesn’t pay for exclusives because they are ethically superior, when in reality it’s simply due to lack of need for it.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Lavamelon

@nirgal: Actually it still benefits them, because they can use their userbase numbers to encourage other companies to release games on EGS. If you download EGS, Epic can still consider you to be part of their user base and let other companies know they have X amount of users online at any given time. Sure they are aware of people such as you who only go for free games, but there’s still plenty of people who buy games from EGS too.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 675 Posts

@lavamelon: then they are misinterpreting the data since non paying customer don't provide any benefit to game companies, specially someone like me that doesn't play online games.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lavamelon

@nirgal: They know they are misrepresenting the data, but they won’t care as long as it helps them more more third parties into EGS. Plus there are lots people who do buy games from EGS so its not fully being misrepresented.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts
@lavamelon said:

@nirgal: They know they are misrepresenting the data, but they won’t care as long as it helps them more more third parties into EGS. Plus there are lots people who do buy games from EGS so its not fully being misrepresented.

Yup. One more person using the service is one more potential person buying games. I bet there's quite a few who have bought games on EGS after being lured in by the free games. Especially new PC gamers who haven't already got a huge Steam library.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@lavamelon said:

Companies are certainly aware of how bad games sell on the Epic Store compared to Steam, but they're willing to take that hit for Epic Store exclusivity money because PC gamers will buy it anyway once it goes to Steam in 6 months to a year. Or they take the exclusivity deal because they know their game is trash and need to recuperate as many losses as possible (Saints Row reboot and FF7 Remake). Or they're a desperate indie developer in need of funds. However, some games got completely killed by Epic Store exclusivity, even when it came to Steam, such as Samurai Shodown.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

They're being offered for free. Take them.

Considering the sheer volume of games they've given away for free over the years, you could have built up enough games to literally never need to buy another game this decade if you didn't want to.

I've missed many a weekly reset and I still have more than 275 games that came completely free.

Honesty, if you haven't been grabbing the free weekly EGS games -- even if you don't own a gaming PC at the moment, even if you don't plan to support EGS -- you're doing everything wrong.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Not cheap to claim free games. Maybe a tiny waste of time if you're not going to play them, but hey you can do what you want.

I don't care on what platform I get games, but personally I won't use EGS. Shelling out cash to publishers for exclusivity (yeah they will fucking take free money at customer's expense of course they will they are a business and don't give any shits in that regard) is disruptive in a bad way for the industry so I won't play along. Frankly there are too many games I actually want to play for me to waste my time claiming free ones I don't care about anyway.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

@BassMan said:

Dumb not to enjoy the free games. The real question though... Why haven't you played Dying Light before after all these years? Great game.

Anyway, I have no issues with multiple stores/apps. Most of the time I am just launching the game and not using any extra community features that Steam excels at. So, no biggie.

I haven't played that one yet either.... Backlog game. This is a good reminder. Grateful my magical steam deck potato performs so well with the game. 😍

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#63 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@TheEroica:

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#64 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@judaspete said:

You're not cheap. You're frugal.

What is considered cheap then? This sounds like someone under the classification of 'poverty' trying as best as possible to be included into the lower middle income group.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

@jhcho2: A cheap person will skip games they would like to play because they aren't willing to spend money on them. A frugal person seeks out good deals.

Getting free games on Epic doesn't make you cheap, but a person who will only play a game if it's free on Epic could be cheap.

The real cheapskates though, are the ones who pirate games.