Alright Nintendo this has been fun but

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for InfinityTomorro
InfinityTomorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 InfinityTomorro
Member since 2004 • 871 Posts
this is getting a bit ridiculous now. A year and a half into the Wii's life and they're still scarce? I mean I already have one but working at Circuit City I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one. Whether the shortages are "planned" or not, I feel this is bad for business.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
1.8+ million a month is more than Sony/MS make.
turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts
And it still isn't enough.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I believe the last sales figure were 700k+ in a month, right? The other three systems I think sold like 300k+ if I am no mistaken...
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts

i believe its a tactic to hold on supply,..

you know supply and demand bs.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
I know they are they might seem scarce...but seriously...I'f you put in a little effort you can easily get one
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

expanded

Yes they are holding onto supply when they sold 700K consoles last month. If you didn't realize thats more then 360 and PS3 combined. Yes Nintendo is holding on to supply lol.

expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
[QUOTE="expanded"]

Blackbond

Yes they are holding onto supply when they sold 700K consoles last month. If you didn't realize thats more then 360 and PS3 combined. Yes Nintendo is holding on to supply lol.

... i'm not saying they are not trying to sell their console.
but having a control on the amount they give the public just fuels more into the hype. not to mention giving more sale.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="expanded"]

expanded

but having a control on the amount they give the public just fuels more into the hype. not to mention giving more sale.

And how would they be doing that by outselling the competition combined and then some? It doesn't make sense. THey are obviously not holding back as they are selling more then the competition combined and then some. You don't do that by holding back. The sales don't show they re holding back. They show a demand that cannot be met at this time.

taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
When a product is outselling its competitors by a huge margin, it's simply ludicrous to accuse the makers of holding back supplies. The whole idea of holding back is to restrict supply and sell less and at a higher price while driving the demand up due to its scarcity. And Wiis are not scarce, judging by the amount sold, not because you can't find it.
travt-down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 travt-down
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
The Wii sells more than the PS3 and 360 combined in ALL major markets. So in theory, if Nintendo was as big a compnay as MS and Sony put together, they could meet the demand for their product. Right?
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Theoretically Nintendo could hire more factories to manufacture Wii's. However, if they do, once demand is met, they'll have to shut down those factories, which would be very expensive. Nintendo feels that they currently have the optimal balance between supply, profit, and cost.
Fatkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Fatkiwi
Member since 2008 • 132 Posts
The Wii is just awesome like that. :D
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

Theoretically Nintendo could hire more factories to manufacture Wii's. However, if they do, once demand is met, they'll have to shut down those factories, which would be very expensive. Nintendo feels that they currently have the optimal balance between supply, profit, and cost.Tylendal

basicly, because at some point everyone will get one, and they wont need all the extra factories pumping wiis out

off topic:the wii is the console that i feel is most likely to have a 10 year lifetime, the way its selling, and it will probably continue like this for a year or 2, why would nintendo replace it when it sells like this?

wasted_wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wasted_wisdom
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts

this is getting a bit ridiculous now. A year and a half into the Wii's life and they're still scarce? I mean I already have one but working at Circuit City I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one. Whether the shortages are "planned" or not, I feel this is bad for business. InfinityTomorro

So you just managed to agree with people who say the wii is for kids by that quote? "I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one."

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Theoretically Nintendo could hire more factories to manufacture Wii's. However, if they do, once demand is met, they'll have to shut down those factories, which would be very expensive. Nintendo feels that they currently have the optimal balance between supply, profit, and cost.Tylendal
Also when they shut down those factories everyone working there would be unemployed. Or else most of them they could keep the ones that do a good job.
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts
No it's a good thing because after 2 months they'll quit playing the Wii any way.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dotWithShoes

[QUOTE="InfinityTomorro"]this is getting a bit ridiculous now. A year and a half into the Wii's life and they're still scarce? I mean I already have one but working at Circuit City I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one. Whether the shortages are "planned" or not, I feel this is bad for business. wasted_wisdom

So you just managed to agree with people who say the wii is for kids by that quote? "I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one."

I can assure you more kids play Halo than they do SSBB.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
I believe the last sales figure were 700k+ in a month, right? The other three systems I think sold like 300k+ if I am no mistaken... yoshi_64
I think he's saying they don't produce enough to meet up to the demand. Which is ture IMO. Every time I see a shipment at Target they're gone within an hour.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
There pushing them out as fast as they can last month they were 300k away from a million so to say there "planning" there shortages is just ridiculous.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Back in the day everyone had an NES console... then they went downhill slowly, and now everyone has a Wii console. I think Nintendo will keep doing this every few generations only because they are the leading edge of innovation, even if their technology is slower and less capable, the gameplay mechanics are always 'new' and most likely controllers will evolve from the wii remote for the next batch from all 3 competitors. Nitneod will take a chance, win or lose, and then spark an evolution.

Although I never play my Wii games at all anymore, it doesnt mean they suck, or nintendo is lame, they are just innovators and that is a risky thing to do, which can be real bad or pay off real well. We know what happened with this round...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
this is getting a bit ridiculous now. A year and a half into the Wii's life and they're still scarce? I mean I already have one but working at Circuit City I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one. Whether the shortages are "planned" or not, I feel this is bad for business.InfinityTomorro

And therefor it's not planned.
ps3-nikita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ps3-nikita
Member since 2005 • 2945 Posts

If Nintendo never held back from the start. Then they never would have sold as much as they have. People were impulse buying, because of how rare it was. It feed into the hype as a must have item.

The general public isnt very smart. Which is why bad leaders are kept in power, when they shown have be thrown out time ago. It is also why advertisers spend billions, knowing that their target audience isnt very smart.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Considering Ninty sells about 700k a month, I'm under the impression that they're doing their best. :?
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
They should just implant some sort of Wii rental service.

That way after the usual two months or so of fun the console can bring you can pass it along to someone else who will then enjoy it for their 2 months and so on and so on...
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts
[QUOTE="expanded"][QUOTE="Blackbond"][QUOTE="expanded"]

Blackbond

And how would they be doing that by outselling the competition combined and then some? It doesn't make sense. THey are obviously not holding back as they are selling more then the competition combined and then some. You don't do that by holding back. The sales don't show they re holding back. They show a demand that cannot be met at this time.

Nintendo isn't holding back, but they have seriously underestimated the demand of Wii ever since the launch. There were signs Wii would be huge before it launched. The massive E3 showing for one...tons more people in line waiting to play it than 360 and PS3. 5 hour long lines. Tons of hype before the launch. Nintendo should have opened up as many manufacturing plants as it took to meet the demand. Nintendo didn't see the signs. And Nintendo STILL can't meet demand now, 1 1/2 years later.

SkyRaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 SkyRaid
Member since 2004 • 2001 Posts
I went to gamestop to pre-order GTA yesterday, they had 4 wiis, two refurbished.

So eh, just look around I'd say.
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]I believe the last sales figure were 700k+ in a month, right? The other three systems I think sold like 300k+ if I am no mistaken... Lionheart08
I think he's saying they don't produce enough to meet up to the demand. Which is ture IMO. Every time I see a shipment at Target they're gone within an hour.

Well I agree they aren't making enough as well as they can make more just like Tylendal said. But seriously those that say Nintendo is trying to hold back supply is just clueless on supply and demand mechanics.
Avatar image for TimeToPartyHard
TimeToPartyHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TimeToPartyHard
Member since 2004 • 1963 Posts
1.8+ million produced a month. I may be misinformed, but I believe that is the highest rate ANY console has been produced consistantly.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
[QUOTE="wasted_wisdom"]

[QUOTE="InfinityTomorro"]this is getting a bit ridiculous now. A year and a half into the Wii's life and they're still scarce? I mean I already have one but working at Circuit City I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one. Whether the shortages are "planned" or not, I feel this is bad for business. dotWithShoes

Try COD 4. thats the new shooter fad.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="wasted_wisdom"]

[QUOTE="InfinityTomorro"]this is getting a bit ridiculous now. A year and a half into the Wii's life and they're still scarce? I mean I already have one but working at Circuit City I'm starting to feel bad for all the kids who want to play Smash Bros and Mario Party but STILL can't get one. Whether the shortages are "planned" or not, I feel this is bad for business. jg4xchamp

Try COD 4. thats the new shooter fad.

Well, I was going for a game I don't like.. I like CoD4, but you're right.. way too many under 17's on that game as well.

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts
Well, maybe when GTA IV comes out and everyone's busy with their 360/PS3's, it'll give Nintendo some time to replenish their stock. But I guess there's Mario Kart Wii right around the corner that'll keep the Wii's selling. But yeah, it is annoying, but Nintendo is gaming only company, they can only do so much. They're not like Sony and MS where they have a nearly limitless number of manufacturers at their beck and call. And they're already selling more than the 360 and PS3 combined on a monthly basis, so that gives you an idea of how much they're producing anyway. Hopefully by summer though, when the gaming droughts come in, it'll give Nintendo some time to stock up or divert some more factories towards Wii production.