After playing on a console exclusively for an entire month...

• 169 results
#1 Posted by joebones5000 (2738 posts) -

I can say that without a doubt that pc gaming is most certainly overrated. Compared to my gaming PC this Xbox One is weak as shit and you can definitely notice the lesser quality of console games, but for it's price ($199) this console is an awesome machine that I could easily see replacing my gaming PC.

In one month of owning this and playing 10 different games for 2 - 3 hours per day, not once did I have one that did not work when I started it. Not once did I have to update a driver or edit some stupid ini file to get a game to work, and not once did I have to fiddle with settings to get a game to look its best. I just put in a disc and played. Once installed, every single game worked without fail every single time.

Console gaming is just as fun and a hell of a lot easier. The graphics and frame rate differences go away after a day because you stop paying attention to nonsense like that. Now I see why consoles are so much more popular than gaming PCs.

I really don't see the point in spending $500+ on a gaming PC anymore. These consoles look and play well enough.

#2 Posted by Randoggy (3487 posts) -

Well enough isn't good enough.

#3 Posted by mark1974 (4261 posts) -

PC's are for tech nerds who want the best of the best in performance and what not and who don't mind messing with the technical side of things. If you don't enjoy solving technical issues and dealing with building your own PC and spending more money but just want to be a bit more casual about it all and just enjoy some games and maybe have other hobbies in life you devote time to as well, consoles are a good choice. There is not a one size fits all to this age old problem. Do what you want and don't listen to rabid fanboys who need you to agree with their all too serious opinions on these matters.

#4 Posted by jcrame10 (5229 posts) -

Interested in a Panasonic 3D0?

#5 Edited by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

Why not game on both? I prefer consoles but PCs are good too and that's why I own one.

#6 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25509 posts) -

So, is System wars your blog now?

Pretty certain this will get locked. There is nothing to discuss.

#7 Posted by joebones5000 (2738 posts) -

@quadknight said:

Why not game on both? I prefer consoles but PCs are good too and that's why I own one.

I do, but next gen I probably won't be dropping the cash on a pc.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

@joebones5000 said:

I just put in a disc and played.

Sounds great !

@joebones5000 said:

Once installed, [...]

Oh damn :(

#9 Edited by KungfuKitten (26800 posts) -

I have to sit through an update every time I want to turn on my PS4. And it needs to reboot to install it...?!
I have entered more codes into the PS4 than all Nintendo systems combined.
And I even had to uninstall some games even though I barely have any because of limited space.
Every game takes ages to install, and the U.I. especially the store is a hell to navigate through. Super slow and awkward.
And when you get to play, the load times are 2 to 5 times longer. Sometimes I play a game while my PS4 is busy loading because it can take so long.

PC can present annoying problems that can give you a head ache but the key is that it is almost always fixable. Whereas on consoles if a game won't run well... you are boned.
The idea that consoles offer a smoother or more relaxed or more plug and play experience is IMO no longer true since the X360.

#10 Posted by pug987 (458 posts) -

@joebones5000: Graphics and frame-rate are definitely not nonsense. You may get used to lower framerate, people get used to anything. Back in the 90s we played games at sub 30 fps and in the 70s there were games where the screen took more than a second to refresh. That doesn't mean that 60 fps isn't considerably better than 30, especially for games with action combat. Going from 30 fps in Dark Souls 1 (it was locked even on PC) to 30 fps in Dark Souls 2 was made such a huge difference that 2 was much more enjoyable overall, despite the arguably better design of the first.

Now about consoles and PC, there are some people who just prefer one or the other. Maybe you were a console guy all along and didn't know it. I have a friend who was thinking of getting a gaming laptop but he eventually got an Xbox One and he's loving it. Another friend is constantly thinking of selling his gaming PC that he barely uses to get a good laptop for work and a console for games. To each his own.

Personally I would never, never prefer a console over PC. I have an above average gaming PC and several consoles and in a couple of months I'm thinking of getting a PS4 Pro. Concerning ease of use, it is at least twice as fast to switch on my PC and boot up a game than it is to do the same on PS3. Not to mention that my PC is almost always on while I'm at home anyway.

Other than that, I find PC exclusives generally superior to their console counterparts. You can keep your Uncharted 4, my most anticipated game of the year is Tyranny on PC. I don't see any console getting Civ 6 either. Not to mention that a lot of games are better with a keyboard and mouse. If I played on a console I'd have to stop playing any games with a first person perspective just cause I hate using a controller for them. Like I would never play Dark Souls with a keyboard and mouse.

The list why I prefer a PC goes on. The point is, people have different preferences and what's good for one doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. If you're happy with console gaming that's great for you. However a lot of people would prefer spending much more than 500 dollars on a PC to make sure their games don't just play well enough but are the best they can be.

#11 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

The benefits of PC gaming is grossly overstated. That is the mainly due to the overemphasis on trivial stuff.

#12 Edited by xantufrog (11700 posts) -

Yeah, I haven't had a PC game not work in well over a decade. I know they are out there, but don't buy crap on either consoles or PC and you won't get bit in the bum. PCs are so similar in convenience to consoles now.

Editing .inis... give me a break - that's for customization... customization that you can't do on consoles. It's optional (and not hard).

You know those crazy patches and firmware updates you need for modern consoles to run games? Yeah, those are the patches and driver updates you seem to think are only needed for PCs.

And "not once did I have to fiddle with settings to get a game to look its best" - again, that's optional tweaking that you cannot do on consoles. It isn't required. Modern PC games just autodetect and run, just like on consoles. It's then up to the user if they want "the headache" of futzing with the graphics

#13 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

Yeah, I haven't had a PC game not work in well over a decade. I know they are out there, but don't buy crap on either consoles or PC and you won't get bit in the bum. PCs are so similar in convenience to consoles now.

Editing .inis... give me a break - that's for customization... customization that you can't do on consoles. It's optional (and not hard).

You know those crazy patches and firmware updates you need for modern consoles to run games? Yeah, those are the patches and driver updates you seem to think are only needed for PCs.

And "not once did I have to fiddle with settings to get a game to look its best" - again, that's optional tweaking that you cannot do on consoles. It isn't required. Modern PC games just autodetect and run, just like on consoles. It's then up to the user if they want "the headache" of futzing with the graphics

Not being able to turn off depth of field, blur, chromatic aberration and lens flares gives me a headache xD

#14 Posted by joebones5000 (2738 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

Had to edit ini to get Arkham Knight to run well. Have to edit ini on Fallout 4 and even add mods to get the game to not play like shit even on high end hardware. Skyrim Special edition still won't even get past the Bethesda logo. All three work perfectly fine on consoles.

Firmware patches are simple and easy. I press one button and wait. Graphics driver updates, if I am lucky, I get notified of an update and I have to click.......wait..........click, click click.......wait, then click again to reboot. If I don't, I have to hunt down the update myself, then do all of the above which takes 3x longer and *maybe* it will have fixed my issue. Then there are windows updates that break shit, like the recent Windows 10 anniversary update...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#15 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13703 posts) -

Both have their place. Not everyone is super tech savy or cares about extra resolution

#16 Posted by lundy86_4 (53856 posts) -

Thanks for your opinion. I'm on the opposite side of the fence, and my grass is definitely greener and more lush.

#17 Posted by telefanatic (3008 posts) -

This discusion sucks. Couldnt bare to read anything. Even thr responses to this non sense OT.

#18 Posted by Basinboy (13930 posts) -

TC, once a PC gamer?

#19 Posted by lundy86_4 (53856 posts) -

@joebones5000 said:

Had to edit ini to get Arkham Knight to run well. Have to edit ini on Fallout 4 and even add mods to get the game to not play like shit even on high end hardware. Skyrim Special edition still won't even get past the Bethesda logo. All three work perfectly fine on consoles.

I have all three and haven't had any issues. However, I did buy AK way after their lol-worthy release.

I just spent about 20 minutes in Skyrim Special Edition earlier, and it's laughable that they call it special.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#20 Edited by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

Can't remember the last PC game that just "didn't work" ..... I mean christ if people are inept with PC gaming in 2016 there truly isn't much hope for that individual.

For the brief period I had an X1 .. it would crash to the homescreen quite often. PS4.. not as much, but it happens. I can leave my PC on for months no problem.

Not that I believe you was a PC gamer.... your story is so godamn basic rhetoric.

#21 Edited by joebones5000 (2738 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

TC, once a PC gamer?

Still a pc gamer, but now with a console too.

#22 Posted by lundy86_4 (53856 posts) -
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#23 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

@joebones5000 said:
@Basinboy said:

TC, once a PC gamer?

so you've been gaming for "33 years" ... and only now got a console...

right.

#24 Edited by joebones5000 (2738 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:
@joebones5000 said:
@Basinboy said:

TC, once a PC gamer?

so you've been gaming for "33 years" ... and only now got a console...

right.

No. I had a ps1 for a few years and a nes was my first.

#25 Posted by Juub1990 (8721 posts) -

@joebones5000 said:

I can say that without a doubt that pc gaming is most certainly overrated. Compared to my gaming PC this Xbox One is weak as shit and you can definitely notice the lesser quality of console games, but for it's price ($199) this console is an awesome machine that I could easily see replacing my gaming PC.

In one month of owning this and playing 10 different games for 2 - 3 hours per day, not once did I have one that did not work when I started it. Not once did I have to update a driver or edit some stupid ini file to get a game to work, and not once did I have to fiddle with settings to get a game to look its best. I just put in a disc and played. Once installed, every single game worked without fail every single time.

Console gaming is just as fun and a hell of a lot easier. The graphics and frame rate differences go away after a day because you stop paying attention to nonsense like that. Now I see why consoles are so much more popular than gaming PCs.

I really don't see the point in spending $500+ on a gaming PC anymore. These consoles look and play well enough.

And you expect us to believe you? I really hate when console players try to pass off as PC gamers.

#26 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (2875 posts) -

One would have to be a child under 10 or retarded to have no ability to select a gaming computer which comes preinstalled with W10 and go to www.steampowered.com or www.Origin.com and press the little link that says "install Steam" or "install Origin", click the file and follow the retard friendly, 2nd grader instructions. Click on Store then pay for a game you like....yeah, ya know what? That's just too much brain work isn't it? Because you'd first have to be able to manage your own money just to even pay for a game which is way harder than PC gaming.

Instead you're right, you do need a console and mommy to go with you to Gamestop so you can talk her into getting the one you point out with your finger. You just can't do that on PC people!

@quadknight said:

pssst...I think he's poor.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
#27 Posted by deactivated-583c85dc33d18 (1619 posts) -

Way more games, way more genres and experiences, and way better performance which undeniably improves gameplay (and anyone who loves games should care about this)

Can't please them all I guess. Shame you can't figure out how to double click a game icon without breaking shit.

#28 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

After nearly exclusively playing on PS4 since 2013 and recently getting a new PC I can say that while consoles are fun....nothing beats PC.

Once a PC gamer...always aPC gamer.

#29 Posted by SOedipus (11582 posts) -

Keep telling yourself that. There's no way I could ever go back to console-only gaming. I can't willfully decrease my standards like that.

#30 Posted by xantufrog (11700 posts) -

@lundy86_4: oh it's special alright

#31 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

Yea, PC gaming is cool but I still prefer playing on my Xbox

#32 Edited by Gaming-Planet (20034 posts) -

I haven't picked up a console since the Wii and 360. Many of my friends are on PC, too.

#33 Posted by Blazed (2946 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@xantufrog said:

Not being able to turn off depth of field, blur, chromatic aberration and lens flares gives me a headache xD

I enjoy the bells whistles on a PC but it definitely comes with issues I don't have on console.

#34 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6495 posts) -

Not even the console manufacturers believe you... Its why they are release mid gen upgrades.

I played Fallout 4 on PS4 and will never go back again. 20-25 FPS gaming is not for me.

#35 Posted by ProtossRushX (5700 posts) -

He went backwards he went from a huge PC library to Xb1 and was fine :|

#36 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

@ProtossRushX: Im scared to play Xbox now, they might be brainwashing their consumers with that evil Kinect thingy.

#37 Posted by sakaiXx (6077 posts) -

Pc gaming is a really amazing thing but people with Pc Masterrace complex is retarded.

#38 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3755 posts) -

Your initial falsehood was blatantly transparent as was your effort marginalize the almighty majestic pc with this fable. If you were a simple peasant I could understand your ambivalence as simple ignorance but me thinks thou art a prevaricator seeking to undermine pc gaming.

#39 Posted by Legend002 (13403 posts) -

This thread is all about the ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#40 Edited by ShepardCommandr (4939 posts) -

In one month of playing on PC, not once did I have a game that did not work when I started it. Not once did I have to update a driver or edit some stupid ini file to get a game to work, and not once did I have to fiddle with settings to get a game to look its best. I just download and played. Once installed, every single game worked without fail every single time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
#41 Posted by deactivated-5920bf77daa85 (3270 posts) -

WENT FROM PC TO AN XBOX! TO PLAY BETHESDA GAMES AT 20-30 FPS!

THIS GUY IS RIDICULOUS!

#42 Posted by BassMan (10677 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
Loading Video...

Man, I feel for that guy. What did he do to deserve that kind of torture?

#43 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3755 posts) -

@Cobra_nVidia said:

WENT FROM PC TO AN XBOX! TO PLAY BETHESDA GAMES AT 20-30 FPS!

THIS GUY IS RIDICULOUS!

Perhaps he had a stroke resulting in loss of brain function or more likely he's a troll. I am inclined to lean towards the latter based on his post. This is a common.

1. new console pc is dead = denial

2. ps4 pro cost 400 and has minimal graphical impact or increased function or exclusives = anger

3. console is almost the same as pc = bargaining

4. ps4 pro is a cash grab and is vastly inferior to pc = depression

5. I should have built a gaming pc instead of spending 900+ on the ps4+ps4 pro = acceptance.

This is a perpetual cycle in the life of consolites. MS/Sony/Nintendo release new hardware and it starts over again. The only know cure is pc gaming but consolitis is virulent as seen daily here in system wars.

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

@Blazed said:

I enjoy the bells whistles on a PC but it definitely comes with issues I don't have on console.

True, and console gaming comes with issues I don't have on PC.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#45 Edited by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Thanks for your opinion. I'm on the opposite side of the fence, and my grass is definitely greener and more lush.

Yet you have a Nintendo game in your signature and avatar so obviously the games are more important than the specs.

#46 Posted by dxmcat (2751 posts) -

Fast Food.

vs

Home Cooked Meal.

#47 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5203 posts) -

It's mostly just for better performance crap. Otherwise pc can easily be left out in my book. To some, the large variety of games are ones you've never heard of by nobody popular with very little programming expertise. Then you get exceptions like Star Citizen. But everything you'd wanna play or care about is on XBone anyway. So if you already got one and aren't a graphic wh ore then why bother with pc? I could see the logic in that.

It's on my list down the line but I'm definitely in no rush. I got plenty to keep myself entertained while I wait. Pc will be a little side project for me but I don't think I wanna rely on it for my main gaming source. Especially knowing my extensive gaming sessions. I burned out the last pc I had and the one after that is weak as shit! Like, only good for browsing and other things that don't involve gaming kinda shit.

#48 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Blazed said:

True, and console gaming comes with issues I don't have on PC.

there's also this thing that when you have issues on pc you can actually try to fix those, you have issues with your console? well shit luck bro

#49 Edited by thepclovingguy (2059 posts) -

Guess op barely even plays games on pc or he is just a console fapboy, since most things he mentions are just pure nonsense. I can play games just fine without having to edit anything or to update my drivers constantly. Windows and gerforce experience updates everything for me and its much faster compared to the tedious updates on ps4.

Besides, my favorite games are pc exclusive. Console games are often too mainstream for my taste.

Also, consoles aren't more popular than pc, I don't really know where you get that crap from.

#50 Edited by illmatic87 (17934 posts) -

@killered3 said:

To some, the large variety of games are ones you've never heard of by nobody popular with very little programming expertise.

What a stupid statement