After 17 Years, Freespace 2 is Still The Best Space Game Ever Created. Still Looks and Plays Great.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Freespace 2 is one of those timeless classics that never get old. Of course it's not perfect, no game is. I'm not a huge fan of number of Nebula missions in the game. Yes they are awesome but 2 or 3 less Nebula missions would've been nice. Overall,,, it's still a rock solid game (9.5-10/10)

Even if you don't own Joystick, the game controls extremely well even if you are only using your Keyboard. The atmosphere is fantastic, sound effects are awesome, story is entertaining, graphics still look pretty good and explosion effects are just... PHENOMENAL. The game features branching paths, multiple endings and epic space battles.

The game already looked great but there are mods that make the game look even better. There are also total conversion mods for the game (Battlestar: Galactica for example). The improvements these mods bring, are just unbelievable. I can write walls of text telling you what to expect from Freespace 2 and why it's so awesome and a must play, but I'll leave this here instead.

Freespace 2 Revisited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDR8uzd8aPo

Modded version (Epic Space Battle):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpaWcDX0f4

Comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=199DV_UY9Hc

Go and buy the game now. You won't regret it. A lot of things in this game even inspired games like Mass Effect. While Squadron 42 might surpass it in the near future, so far this is the best Space game out there in my opinion.

Have you played the game? Share your thoughts.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I remember playing this back in the day when I was a little lad, good times were had indeed. It was one of the first space games I was truly blown away by growing up.

I'm glad to see it's still alive. I might install it again one of these days just for Battlestar Galactica mods. The voice acting, mission structure, and gameplay were some of the best ever.

The graphics look really rough by today's standards though, I dunno if I can enjoy it as much now after experiencing Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous Horizons. I wish we had radio chatter in Elite Dangerous, I like how Freespace 2's space battles seem so alive because of them instead of the silence and shitty text messages we get in ED. Hopefully Star Citizen lives up to the hype and surpasses Freespace 2, it really has a lot of potential from what I've played in the Alpha and seen coming to Squadron 42.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

the nostalgia is strong with this one

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@the_master_race said:

the nostalgia is strong with this one

Indeed.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7201 Posts

I've had this in my backlog for years. Got it on a GoG.com sale. Need to get around to playing it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17775 Posts

no argument from me. wonderful game (freespace 1 is also great: the intro to freespace one still haunts me :P).

i played it with a logitech forcefeedback joystick back in the day and it was awesome. its great to see the space sim on the rise again. hopefully we also see more mission/campaing focused games rather than just big trading games....its nice to have both options.

for those who have yet to try it i do recommend getting your controls sorted. one bad thing i do remember about both games is that the default controls were a bit pants. still 2 great games though.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Yeah, and people give Kojima too much credit for story telling and other such stupid shit when games like Freelancer exists. Man, PC gaming and PC developers never get enough credit for what it brought to gaming.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

How is it possible I've never played this, heck I would like this shit more than elite

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_imperium

@zeeshanhaider said:

Yeah, and people give Kojima too much credit for story telling and other such stupid shit when games like Freelancer exists. Man, PC gaming and PC developers never get enough credit for what it brought to gaming.

Yeah... Misinformation everywhere.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

Unfortunate cinematic presentation developed negative connotations.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2861 Posts

i tried running this game way back when i was playing Freelancer and couldn't get it to work very well, haven't tried it since... but being that Freelancer basically was partly inspired from this game, i should try it again sometime.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@Yams1980 said:

i tried running this game way back when i was playing Freelancer and couldn't get it to work very well, haven't tried it since... but being that Freelancer basically was partly inspired from this game, i should try it again sometime.

Get the game from GOG.com. Plays without any problems. Make sure to run the game in Win98 or XP mode, turn of desktop composition and themes (Right click > properties), and the run the game as administrator (Right click > run as admin). .

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

One of my favs space sims, and one of the best ever...

With tons of mods and missions for a lifetime of joy...Still playing it from time to time and it runs like a charm.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It is a good game, fantastic in coop. X3 and Freelancer are my favourite space sims though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cloud_imperium

@pelvist said:

It is a good game, fantastic in coop. X3 and Freelancer are my favourite space sims though.

Freelancer is my favorite as well along with Freespace 2. Amazing games.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

Great game. As for my favorite, I'm still partial to Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter though.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Thanks for the tip, I've never played it and love space games. I would assume even my shit PC can run this.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

I remember playing it, dont know if I would reinstall it today but I have been wanting to play Freelancer again.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cloud_imperium

@mark1974 said:

Thanks for the tip, I've never played it and love space games. I would assume even my shit PC can run this.

Of course, it came out in 1999.

@Heil68 said:

I remember playing it, dont know if I would reinstall it today but I have been wanting to play Freelancer again.

Played it few months ago (still on my hard drive). That game still rocks. But nothing will beat that "OMG" moment when I played that game for the first game. Wandering around in the huge galaxy was just unbelievable.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

Great game that has withstood the test of time. I loved this game as soon as it came out in 99. FreeSpace 1 was also good, but 2 brought so many improvements. The old school dogfighting gameplay and tactical squadron management is still rock solid, and stands up well.