Add On DLC or Expansion Packs or Remixed Edition - what do you prefer?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Add On DLC or Expansion Packs or Remixed Edition - what do you prefer? (8 votes)

Add On DLC - priced individually 13%
Expansion Pack - priced higher but not as a complete game 88%
Remixed Edition - priced as a full, complete game 38%

There's different types of DLC and paid content nowadays. You have developers who provide add on DLC as soon as the game launches, but you also have developers who do meatier expansion packs later after the game has released. And then you have developers who do a final remixed version with all of the content, but you have to wait some time for it. What do you prefer, SW? Or do you care? It's a multiple choice question. I liked remixed edition because I like having everything on the disk, but it does suck having to buy a new game for it.

• 
npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I dislike DLC that's just skins, weapons or 1 map. I typically don't buy them. Expansion where it's adds new missions and some extra content are great. Remixed editions are great if I've never played the game and it's been out for a while or if I played it and sold it before the DLC came out and I'll want to play it again.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I'm still a huge fan of meaningful expansions to the main game, expansion packs.

Sometimes DLC is way too short and in no way worth the money.

Good expansion packs: Age of Empires, GTA IV, Warcraft, ...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Depends on what the content is.

Expansions like entire new modes or chunks of game like RE5, Red Dead, and Witcher 3 had are awesome and welcome.

I also like small additions like cosmetic changes. I prefer when they're free like the 98 costumes in RE2 Remake.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Expansion packs used to be (and sometimes still are) about taking a complete game and extending it past it's normal life span. They were awesome. The DLC craze changed this. All of a sudden it felt like they were skimming things away from your game and selling them back to you. The alarm bells went off with Oblivion's horse armour but little did we know that was the tip of a gigantic iceberg.

Some games do both. The recent Assassin's Creed games, you can use real money to buy gems and booster packs and weapons you don't need, and livery for your ship that adds nothing. But then the actual add on packs add whole new areas with a brand new set of quests just as it should be.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I don’t mind DLC when it’s properly planned and constructed. Everything else takes far too long to release otherwise.

For example, TLOU: Left Behind, all of the Souls DLC, Old Hunters, Minerva’s Den, and even Burial At Sea (albeit its story is a blemish to Infinite but its gameplay is superb).