Actor claims Spider-Man 2 to come out in September. Starfield in trouble?

• 57 results
Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts
@Pedro said:

Do people know that game engines update like every other software right? It is like whinning about a game running on Unreal Engine because the first version was released decades ago. Unless you actually believe they are using the same (never updated) engine from 20 years ago.😐

The difference is that Unreal does a total rework from top to bottom when going from UE3 to 4, from 4 to 5 and so on. There is an entire technology & coding team dedicated to the engine, an estimated 3700 employees whose sole job is to enhance and update the engine and incorporate new technologies. See their most recent achievements and presentations, such as Lumen. Going back a bit to 2018 they managed to make Fortnite run at 60 frames a second on consoles in a single update without losing visual fidelity, when it used to run at 30. Later they added ray-tracing, better global illumination and so on. They try and test every technology with Fortnite, work out any kinks and increase performance which leads to improvements for every game that uses Unreal Engine. Unreal Engine was and is developed with a broad use-case in mind and it started out as Unreal and later Unreal Tournament, a very popular arena shooter and showcased revolutionary graphics and systems back then. Unreal was the first game to showcase realistic reflections for example.

Starfield uses the GameBryo engine that they occasionally update shaders and minor backend stuff on with each game release, which is far and in between. No one uses GameBryo anymore. Last game that did was Catherine on PS3 which was a weird puzzle game. So there is no company backing it or any knowledge to be gained. For example, Fallout 76 still uses the same wonky animations as Fallout 3, the first game of Bethesda running on GameBryo. It used the same core coding commands and the same code. Don't believe me? Watch the video I linked, one of the developers at Bethesda finds nostalgia in seeing that the engine he codes for still uses the same codes as back in Morrowind. The GameBryo/NetImmerse engine was primarly designed for MMO's because of its memory, coding and cell architecture. These are holdovers from the 2000-era when MMO's were popular. Over time BGS tinkered with it to fit their needs but the core structure always remained the same. It's the reason why Skyrim had massive memory leaks on consoles, why ballooning save files lead to performance degradation, why the same bugs in Fallout 3, 4 and 76 persist at launch, it's the reason for shitty performance and shitty optimization. Don't believe me? Fallout 76 had a bug/feature in which a higher framerate on PC made you move faster. This was because the physics were tied to the framerate, a holdover from the 2000-era in which everything was V-synced.

GameBryo has so much shit-code bolted on top of it that it culminated in Fallout 76. It was a poor choice for Skyrim 12 years ago and certainly an abysmal choice now in 2023. BGS does not have the chops to handle and update their own engine, they conclude that incremental upgrades such as god rays is enough and spend two years of patching the same engine, the same bugs every single release. How is this acceptable?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

lol :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#53 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12951 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:
@Pedro said:

Do people know that game engines update like every other software right? It is like whinning about a game running on Unreal Engine because the first version was released decades ago. Unless you actually believe they are using the same (never updated) engine from 20 years ago.😐

The difference is that Unreal does a total rework from top to bottom when going from UE3 to 4, from 4 to 5 and so on. There is an entire technology & coding team dedicated to the engine, an estimated 3700 employees whose sole job is to enhance and update the engine and incorporate new technologies. See their most recent achievements and presentations, such as Lumen. Going back a bit to 2018 they managed to make Fortnite run at 60 frames a second on consoles in a single update without losing visual fidelity, when it used to run at 30. Later they added ray-tracing, better global illumination and so on. They try and test every technology with Fortnite, work out any kinks and increase performance which leads to improvements for every game that uses Unreal Engine. Unreal Engine was and is developed with a broad use-case in mind and it started out as Unreal and later Unreal Tournament, a very popular arena shooter and showcased revolutionary graphics and systems back then. Unreal was the first game to showcase realistic reflections for example.

Starfield uses the GameBryo engine that they occasionally update shaders and minor backend stuff on with each game release, which is far and in between. No one uses GameBryo anymore. Last game that did was Catherine on PS3 which was a weird puzzle game. So there is no company backing it or any knowledge to be gained. For example, Fallout 76 still uses the same wonky animations as Fallout 3, the first game of Bethesda running on GameBryo. It used the same core coding commands and the same code. Don't believe me? Watch the video I linked, one of the developers at Bethesda finds nostalgia in seeing that the engine he codes for still uses the same codes as back in Morrowind. The GameBryo/NetImmerse engine was primarly designed for MMO's because of its memory, coding and cell architecture. These are holdovers from the 2000-era when MMO's were popular. Over time BGS tinkered with it to fit their needs but the core structure always remained the same. It's the reason why Skyrim had massive memory leaks on consoles, why ballooning save files lead to performance degradation, why the same bugs in Fallout 3, 4 and 76 persist at launch, it's the reason for shitty performance and shitty optimization. Don't believe me? Fallout 76 had a bug/feature in which a higher framerate on PC made you move faster. This was because the physics were tied to the framerate, a holdover from the 2000-era in which everything was V-synced.

GameBryo has so much shit-code bolted on top of it that it culminated in Fallout 76. It was a poor choice for Skyrim 12 years ago and certainly an abysmal choice now in 2023. BGS does not have the chops to handle and update their own engine, they conclude that incremental upgrades such as god rays is enough and spend two years of patching the same engine, the same bugs every single release. How is this acceptable?

Starfield is using the Creation Engine, which was built off of a portion of the Gamebyro engine. Starfield is actually using Creation 2.0, which received major upgrades including pipeline, AI, physics and visuals. And it actually supports Havok! The game is also using a drastically updated AI engine, Radiant.

I am surprised you cows don't like dealing with facts. How is this acceptable?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#54 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:

You spew all of that verbose but it doesn't change the nature of my comment. In addition to that I am very certain that you do not know the current state of the engine nor the backend of the updates that has occurred for its core, especially for the release of Starfield. Which makes your response just another person ranting about something they have no knowledge of. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Locutus_Picard

@Pedro said:
@Locutus_Picard said:

You spew all of that verbose but it doesn't change the nature of my comment. In addition to that I am very certain that you do not know the current state of the engine nor the backend of the updates that has occurred for its core, especially for the release of Starfield. Which makes your response just another person ranting about something they have no knowledge of. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Loading Video...

When Todd Howard claims they have had their best people on Fallout 76 and majorly overhauled their engine...and you see the end result that actually was Fallout 76, I am justified in expecting the worst. I do not need to know the current state of the engine because we already saw the current state of the engine; Fallout 76. As usual they will update shaders and minor backend things to run with current graphics API's such as DirectX 12 and such.

Not every developer is equal and Bethesda Games Studio is bottom of the barrel. They don't understand their own games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

@Pedro: you got rekt

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Pedro  Online

@SolidGame_basic: You are embarrassing yourself with your cosigning 😂

@Locutus_Picard: So, you literally validated my comment that engines are routinely updated and it is silly to use the age of an engine as a benchmark or a jab. 👍

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 KvallyX

@Pedro said:
@Locutus_Picard said:

R E K T!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 KvallyX
@Locutus_Picard said:
@Pedro said:
@Locutus_Picard said:

Loading Video...

When Todd Howard claims they have had their best people on Fallout 76 and majorly overhauled their engine...and you see the end result that actually was Fallout 76, I am justified in expecting the worst. I do not need to know the current state of the engine because we already saw the current state of the engine; Fallout 76. As usual they will update shaders and minor backend things to run with current graphics API's such as DirectX 12 and such.

Not every developer is equal and Bethesda Games Studio is bottom of the barrel. They don't understand their own games.

You are more full of shit than Hardwenzen, and I didn't think that was possible.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Locutus_Picard

So I take a break from System Wars and it is infested with lemmings and Bethesda apologists? WTF? Pathetic.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 KvallyX

Another cow meltdown.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Pedro  Online

@Locutus_Picard said:

So I take a break from System Wars and it is infested with lemmings and Bethesda apologists? WTF? Pathetic.

Make nonsensical claims don't go unchallenged. Maybe you should consider not doing that.🤔

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

If you think a Spider-Man game could actually compete with a highly anticipated Bethesda RPG that will be played for years, you're hilariously mistaken.

I'll be playing both, but the first Spider-Man was lackluster to say the least. The swinging was fun, however.

A quick 15 hour playthrough and then uninstall.