Action Driven Games or Story Driven Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SiiSsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 SiiSsy
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

What do most people like? I get the feeling that the debate isnt so much well I own 360/PS3/PC but rather I like to run and gun or I like to go a little deeper....or....I'm am the walrus....

For me a good set of games would include...

Resident Evil 1

Dino Crysis 1

Silent Hill 1

FF X

Heavenly Sword

Jak and Daxter

something with a world that you can become a part of be it a mansion....a lush jungle....or just a fantasy realm ripe for exploring...

But I get the feeling some people here only care about "teh booma" and not so much the story...what games do you guys enjoy? And what do you prefer? Action blast em all plant a flag atop a heap of bodies....or explore the world and unravel the plot type games? The can usually be almost any genre.

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
I think Halo and Half-Life proved you can have the best of both worlds. I would prefer a mix. But, if I had to choose one or the other, lights, camera, ACTION.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Personal favorite games.

Zelda-story and gameplay based(its both)
Halo- gameplay and has a good story that most wont give credit to but the 8 million who bought it and the 100s of critics who loved it. So this is a both
Metal Gear Solid- story driven up the yin yang.
Resident Evil-great story and even better gameplay. I think more people like the atmosphere and gameplay then the story.
Metroid- it has a story but you personally have to be willing to find the story. which makes it unique. so this game is action and gameplay driven with a hidden story for those who put in effort.

really i like a good story. i only liked 3 FF games. FF 7,8,X. and the others i hated. the gameplay in not one FF game was all that fun but the story was good.

personally id like a good mix of both. if its a game with a story why not the story be good. Darkness had fun gamepaly and a fun story. then the bad online killed it. and the game was short. the game had a boring sequence of events late in the game. but man the story was awesome. sad ending to.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts
I'd have to go with story driven, but the best would be a mix of both.
SiiSsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SiiSsy
Member since 2007 • 551 Posts

Personal favorite games.

Zelda-story and gameplay based(its both)
Halo- gameplay and has a good story that most wont give credit to but the 8 million who bought it and the 100s of critics who loved it. So this is a both
Metal Gear Solid- story driven up the yin yang.
Resident Evil-great story and even better gameplay. I think more people like the atmosphere and gameplay then the story.
Metroid- it has a story but you personally have to be willing to find the story. which makes it unique. so this game is action and gameplay driven with a hidden story for those who put in effort.

really i like a good story. i only liked 3 FF games. FF 7,8,X. and the others i hated. the gameplay in not one FF game was all that fun but the story was good.

personally id like a good mix of both. if its a game with a story why not the story be good. Darkness had fun gamepaly and a fun story. then the bad online killed it. and the game was short. the game had a boring sequence of events late in the game. but man the story was awesome. sad ending to.

jg4xchamp

Zelda games never fail to deliver.

Metroid is always great and Resident Evil is super sweet too!

Action goes along way sometimes but the best memories I have gaming are moments when a game effected me on an emotional level.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
resident evil and MGS have great stories and action, but some story driven games like silent hill 4 the room kept me playing just for the story. and some games like resistance adn RSV i play for the action
joker730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 joker730
Member since 2007 • 1561 Posts
i prefer story driven games but i also like a mix of both like god of war, mgs, and halo
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
A mix is always good but If I had to choose action over story.
raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
God of War.
tidus222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tidus222
Member since 2004 • 1452 Posts

most of my favorite games have good stories, and good gameplay.... but if a game has good enough gameplay like ninja gaiden for example i can forgive a crap story

its probably why i avoid racing, fighters, and sports game so much cause without a story games get old fast.... and just suck in general

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
I like a good balance. MGS had too much story at times and games like Doom 3, Halo 2 etc. just didn't have enough.