About Star Fox: Miyamoto speaks!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Source: Kotaku

According to him, he would love to make more Star Fox games, but he also says that the series declined in popularity... in Japan anyway.

Thoughts? To me, this either tells me there's a new Star Fox coming or there isn't one coming at all.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts
I think he's right. I think even in the US it's popularity is down. I can't speak for other regions, though.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I'm sure StarFox would become known again with a really epic, mysterious, super cool advertising campaign, like for the Godzilla movie, only instead of a glimpse of a dinosaur foot and a caption saying "Size Does Matter", it would show the backend of Fox's ship and a caption saying "Do a Barrel Roll": StarFox 5, 2010 or something.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
I for one would love a new starfox. Played the one on N64 and both on Gamecube and also played the DS version even though I didn't like it
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Well, if the quality would follow the trend it had been, let Star Fox die. If Nintendo really wants to put the time and effort in, bring it back now!
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

Maybe because Assualt and Adventures were not very good games? :S

Make a good Starfox then we will see

Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts
F-zero Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Star fox can wait.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#8 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

According to him, he would love to make more Star Fox games, but he also says that the series declined in popularity... in Japan anyway.

Thoughts? To me, this either tells me there's a new Star Fox coming or there isn't one coming at all.

nintendoboy16

WELL! I for one am glad that it tells you the game is either coming or not coming at all. That really helps lift the shroud of mystery on whether or not we'll get a new Star Fox game. :P

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Doesnt sound good.

I guess Star-Fox will be joining EarthBound in the Nintendo vault.,,,

Its unfortunate....

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoboy16

Doesnt sound good.

Its unfortunate....

-Oath

If a new game isn't coming, I'm thinking the same thing. If so, let's hope not.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
at least he talks about it F-Zero seems to be completely forgotten
Wii_Gamer_277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wii_Gamer_277
Member since 2009 • 1795 Posts

Doesnt sound good.

Its unfortunate....

-Oath
Earthbound is unfortunate, star fox has been on a slippery slow since adventure. Now if nintendo puts DK in the vault and revives star fox then it would be awesome :D
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
No! Bring back the flying space furries! :cry:
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16
No! Bring back the flying space furries! :cry:Kenny789
That's what a lot of us want. Your TC as well.
rogueace127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rogueace127
Member since 2005 • 680 Posts

I'm sure StarFox would become known again with a really epic, mysterious, super cool advertising campaign, like for the Godzilla movie, only instead of a glimpse of a dinosaur foot and a caption saying "Size Does Matter", it would show the backend of Fox's ship and a caption saying "Do a Barrel Roll": StarFox 5, 2010 or something.enterawesome

That would make an awesome teaser poster.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
SHame. Its one of the few Nintendo franchises I actually like.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#17 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

my feeling on the Japanese gaming audience is.

if it has a hint of American/Western style game their not touching it with a 10 foot poll..

while some games from Japan will sell gangbusters in the West, it doesn't go the same way the other way around though.

Star Fox was originally a space-shooter, that sort of appeals more to gamers in the West then it would in Japan.

if it doesn't have cute fuzzy animals (which Star Fox does) or effiminate male roles models, and doesn't have a super long and somtimes super convoluted story, with a tried but true Turn Based or RPG mechanic. it isn't gonna sell in Japan.

--------

Mind you i still buy a lot of Japanese made games, from Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Demon's Souls, etc. I can appreciate those games and their stories they have to sell.

One could ague nobody wants to play a Roid-raging jock in Gears of War, but not all Western shooters or RPG's are like that, and yet. we can't get them to sell over in Japan.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I've played every Star Fox except for Assault. But I must say I enjoyed Adventures just as much asother previous Star Fox's. It was a cool, fun game. I'd love another Star Fox, hopefully they do it. (But a F Zero game is a must beforethat :P )

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendoboy16

I've played every Star Fox except for Assault. But I must say I enjoyed Adventures just as much asother previous Star Fox's. It was a cool, fun game. I'd love another Star Fox, hopefully they do it. (But a F Zero game is a must beforethat :P )

trugs26

I love Adventures. Although, I would've loved regular Dinosaur Planet as well.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
I
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
make a starfox game that actually surpasses the n64 version.
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

That's a shame, but the decline in sales also reflects the decline in quality of the series. Assault and Command were both really weak games.

I don't think Ninty can match the greatness of SF64 anymore. Its a shame they got rid of Rare, the Adventures series had so much potential :(

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

i think it would be a hit again with the new motion controls

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

What about some utilization of WM+, maybe like in Wii Sports Resort, the flying minigame (which I can't remember the name of atm.. Air Sports?).

The left hand holds the nun chuck, the right hand has the Wii remotewith WM+. You fly by tilting the Wiimote, and you... shoot with buttons etc.. What could you do with the nun chuck? Maybe you don't need it? Just a Wiimote+WM+ game? You guys could add some ideas for the nunchuck use. I can't think of anything.

Actually, maybe you could have optional use.. WM+ or nunchuck, to steer.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

Maybe because Assualt and Adventures were not very good games? :S

Make a good Starfox then we will see

bobcheeseball
Adventures was great....please dont lump it in the same boat as Assault.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#26 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i got the gc first one the n64 snes one and the ds one i didnt like the ds your not in control

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nintendoboy16

What about some utilization of WM+, maybe like in Wii Sports Resort, the flying minigame (which I can't remember the name of atm.. Air Sports?).

The left hand holds the nun chuck, the right hand has the Wii remotewith WM+. You fly by tilting the Wiimote, and you... shoot with buttons etc.. What could you do with the nun chuck? Maybe you don't need it? Just a Wiimote+WM+ game? You guys could add some ideas for the nunchuck use. I can't think of anything.

Actually, maybe you could have optional use.. WM+ or nunchuck, to steer.

trugs26

Actually that would sound cool for Star Fox Wii to use Motion Plus+.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
Why worry about Star Fox, when he should be worrying about a goddam 2D Metroid already!
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

at least he talks about it F-Zero seems to be completely forgottenfunsohng

:cry: Screw Forza and Grand Toursimo F-Zero is the best racing game EVER!. :cry: Why Nintendo why did you have to forget about it?

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

The only reason popularity has declined... IS BECAUSE THE LAST THREE SUCKED HARD... The ds and gc ones that is. I mean. Make one thats just like the one on the n64 and make it awesome, and youll see how interested people are. Im getting tired of Miyamoto saying, oh well people are loosing interest in this franchise, like Fzero and this. Well just because one or two games dont sell up to expectations doesn't mean you give up come on dude.. seriously

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Who woulda guessed that a drop in quality would result in a drop in popularity??? :roll:

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendoboy16
Why worry about Star Fox, when he should be worrying about a goddam 2D Metroid already!Next-Gen-Tec
That's Yoshio Sakamoto's job, not Miyamoto.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

nintendoboy16

One thing to remember...

The Creator's of STARFOX are still around, but they don't work for Nintendo. The created Starfox for Nintendo, and are gone. So, while Miyamoto isn't going to say that, the last StarFox games we got were made by RARE and NAMCO.

So, the dwindling popularity also has to do with a destinct lack of resources.

If you dig the guys that created Starfox, check out the PIXELJUNK DL games, that's what the Starfox Creator's are doing now.:)

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

While it's a good move to give Star Fox some time off, it would also be a shame if they never made a game in the series that takes advantage ofthe Wii controls. Personally, I'd like to see a Star Fox near the end of the Wii's lifespan that returns to the series' roots.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

SFA was my favorite Star Fox game.

*waits for the beating*

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

SolidTy

One thing to remember...

The Creator's of STARFOX are still around, but they don't work for Nintendo. The created Starfox for Nintendo, and are gone. So, while Miyamoto isn't going to say that, the last StarFox games we got were made by RARE and NAMCO.

So, the dwindling popularity also has to do with a destinct lack of resources.

If you dig the guys that created Starfox, check out the PIXELJUNK DL games, that's what the Starfox Creator's are doing now.:)

Q Games did do another Star Fox after Namco's game. It was Star Fox Command on the DS. Also, I read that Miyamoto had inspiration of creating Star Fox from visiting a shrine to a Flying Fox Spirit, and had Argonaut (before most of them became Q Games) help him with what he wanted to do with the first game.

Avatar image for insanewolfninja
insanewolfninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 insanewolfninja
Member since 2005 • 4919 Posts
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

lol well good guess.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

nintendoboy16

Haha yeah wonder why it declined in popularity....thats what happen when you change direction of series people like. First two games was awesome the other was just crap :?

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

The Wii has been lacking decent Nintendo titles as of late and Nintendo has been presenting very little when it comes to future games outside of: "it's coming" and "we would love to". I won't say much, because I don't know what they've been doing as of late, but hopefully they're not sitting on their asses, because it's starting to feel like they are.

mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
The StarFox series is down because they tried to turn in into an action adventure game. I promise you if they went back to their roots. . .it would sell.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Ok perhaps I was a little harsh on the above comment since we do have a Metroid and Mario galaxy two on the pipeline, along with the new smb... but still...

The StarFox series is down because they tried to turn in into an action adventure game. I promise you if they went back to their roots. . .it would sell.mythrol

What was the name of the second Starfox game on the gamecube again, assault? I felt for instance that the only redeeming quality of the game was the flying sections akin to earlier titles. Perhaps Nintendo should focus more on the arcade like side of the series.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="StealthSting"]

Ok perhaps I was a little harsh on the above comment since we do have a Metroid and Mario galaxy two on the pipeline, along with the new smb... but still...

The StarFox series is down because they tried to turn in into an action adventure game. I promise you if they went back to their roots. . .it would sell.mythrol

What was the name of the second Starfox game on the gamecube again, assault? I felt for instance that the only redeeming quality of the game was the flying sections akin to earlier titles. Perhaps Nintendo should focus more on the arcade like side of the series.

Indeed. The games always felt like your watching an intense scifi movie in an aracade and that's how these new ones should be.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

Well of course Star Fox has declined in popularity, we only get one of them like every 3 years and then when we do the past 3 have been just average games. Starfox Command and Assault could have been soooo much better but ended up just being average games and Adventures (while a great game imo) wasn't even a Starfox game to begin with. And plus they still sell reasonably well, Adventures like 2 million, Assault 1 million and Command did a right, more than half a million at least. So come on Nintendo make another Starfox 64 quality Starfox for the next game then maybe sales while increase again, or at least sell more than Punch Out.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

Star Fox is one of those rare franchises that is tailored made for the Wii's motion controls. As far as dwindling sales go, the simple solution to that problem is to hand the series to of NIntendo EAD(The team that did Star Fox 64) and make sure the game meets the high standards of the first two games. Make it a space shooter that involves nothing else expect blowing stuff up in space.

It will attract alot of fans back to the franchise if they return to the series' roots. The only reason why it even fell in popularity was because of Nintendo's drive to screw around with the series.