A way to make Kinect work with FPS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts

A easy solution would be a light gun. It works in Arcades, I dont see why it cant work with Kinect. There would of course a problem with movement, but im sure that can be figured out. Yes the whole point of Kinect is that your body is the controller, but a light gun would be a extension of your body not in replacement of the motion sensor.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

It would work but it isn't going to happen. We all know what direction microsoft is going with kinect. E3 told us all we need to know.

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts

Is Kinect advanced enough to focus on your trigger figure movements? or would the light gun sync up with kinect?

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
It needs to have some sort of physical controller for it to work for fps.
Bujikan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bujikan92
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts
Wait!!!!! can you hold up objects in front of the Kinect cameras and it would scan it in to the game. All you have to do when playing a shooter is scan a your dad's gun (that he told you not to touch) and BAM!!!!! you are playing the most realisct shooter game ever
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

theres a game coming out that has movement, I think after a while it works, step forward than move forward, step backward move back, use shoulders to change direction. I think it could work

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

A easy solution would be a light gun. It works in Arcades, I dont see why it cant work with Kinect. There would of course a problem with movement, but im sure that can be figured out. Yes the whole point of Kinect is that your body is the controller, but a light gun would be a extension of your body not in replacement of the motion sensor.

Brean24

Navigation in three-dimensional environments is the problem with kinect in FPS. Or TPS. Or any other kind of 3-d game. Now if you had a lightgun that also had a thumbstick for navigation, then you'd be on to something... and it would be called the Move with Sharpshooter.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

Then it would destroy the whole quota of "You are the controller"

Pesci1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pesci1
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts

PEW PEW PEW!!

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Kinect works with ANY game on PC. :P

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

They could fix that by making Kinect have longer range. So you go out in the fields and your movement translates in-game. And you will also need a big a.. TV for that ...

piperwren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 piperwren
Member since 2011 • 46 Posts

I played killzone3 with a motioncontroller before,did not work at all,although a pistol like in time crisis might work better.

Bujikan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bujikan92
Member since 2011 • 214 Posts

I played killzone3 with a motioncontroller before,did not work at all,although a pistol like in time crisis might work better.

piperwren

should I believe you, or the hundreds of KZ3 reviews that said the game actually plays really well with Move are suggest people try it out.................. um......... I have PS-MOVE btw, I havent touched it in months but its here somewhere

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44686 Posts
and they'd have to have a Kinect only multiplayer games as Kinect players would be slaughtered by people rocking the dual analog controller
Dark4ever01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark4ever01
Member since 2004 • 321 Posts

Why is it so hard to understand that Kinect CAN'T work for a FPS? The input lag is horrible and you wouldn't have any precission what so ever. Why downgrade even more when you're already using a controller? It seems so silly.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Is Kinect advanced enough to focus on your trigger figure movements? or would the light gun sync up with kinect?

akira2465

It cant sense fingers because its limited to 320x240 resolution, however its capable of doing 640x480 resolution (hardware wise) just the xbox USB ports limit it... unless they can find a better way to compress the video stream. Anyways, a 640x480 camera resolution would be enough to register finger movements.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Personally i much prefer the idea of making a game like that banned PS3 ad: you make the gun shape with your fingers (and hands if not using a pistol) and have a small dongle for the trigger and to use for reloading (use motion controls in conjunction so that you hold a button whilst doing the reloading motion). A light gun type accessory could work but it seems unimaginative and each lightgun would only fit a small number of weapons (if you wanted it to feel like the weapon on screen) without having moving parts on the gun.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
I just really want head tracking, give me that with the basic controller setup and it would vastly improve fps gaming on consoles.
iammason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 iammason
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

VensInferno
Exactly what crossed my mind as well.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
why would u wanna play a fps with kinect?
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

[QUOTE="VensInferno"]

iammason

Exactly what crossed my mind as well.

well it would just be like owning a gun, people will say gun kills, but other people say gun don't kill people do, I predict that Kinect is gonna turn out like that

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Aiming precision and speed isn't the (main) problem with Kinect for shooters (or games in general). A lightgun would make for improvements in those areas, but...yeah, I'm not sure what it would solve exactly. Developers could make more accurate and faster paced on rails shooters, like they've been doing on other platforms for over a decade. Hurray.

It would've been nice if Microsoft had included some form of tactile motion controller (Kinect+Move) as that would make everything better in all sorts of ways. But it's too late for that now. Probably would've been too expensive a proposition for the market anyway. So we've hopelessly got this marvelous thing forcing developers to think up control schemes where you move by putting one foot forward and turn by twisting your shoulders.

This is how you make Kinect work with an FPS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Point your open palmed hand at the celing, bending 90 degrees at the elbow. Your left arm acting basically as a substitute for the left stick on a pad. Point your left hand towards the tv moves you forward, while pulling back towards your body moves you backwards, left for left movement and right for right movement. Now you can use your right hand and head tracking for looking around. Shooting can be done by making the "pew, pew, pew" gun and jerking your right hand back like it's recoiling from shooting a pistol, which could trigger your on screen gun to fire. Sounds tiring, but could work. getyeryayasout
I tried imagining what this would look like in practice.
I would love to see this in practice.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#25 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

You saw that Ghost Recon presentation? That's how FPS is going to work with Kinect. As in very poorly.

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
Any peripheral defeats the purpose of Kinect. Any kind of "core" game on kinect is fail. Just look at Fable and star wars for proof :lol:
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#27 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Why would I wanna play FPS on Kinect? I will just use a "real" controller.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts

Any peripheral defeats the purpose of Kinect. Any kind of "core" game on kinect is fail. Just look at Fable and star wars for proof :lol:The_Pacific
Have you personally played either of those games? Do you own a Kinect period?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
kinda defeats the whole purpose of 'you are the controller' con they are pulling off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="The_Pacific"]Any peripheral defeats the purpose of Kinect. Any kind of "core" game on kinect is fail. Just look at Fable and star wars for proof :lol:Brean24

Have you personally played either of those games? Do you own a Kinect period?

I'm giving Fable the benefit of doubt as what they showed isn't everything you'll be doing in that game, they claim. But I can't imagine Star Wars Kinect being not ****.

Kinect is inherently unsuitable for action games in general. Adds physicality at the expense of everything else. Things like responsiveness, precision, navigation, camera control. Etc. These giant, huge obstacles which if not overcome greatly affects the gameplay for the worse. And then the physicality of it isn't purely something positive either. Standing up flailing your arms and jumping gets tiresome. And what's the payoff for all of this? As far as I can tell your movements trigger a preset animation the same as if you had pressed a button. I suppose force powers could be cool. They should've added Kinect support for force powers on top of a regular, controller based game.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

There would of course a problem with movement, but im sure that can be figured out.

Brean24
That's obviously the biggest problem and no, I don't think it can be figured out without a controller.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
They could just not and continue to use what works.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

That's the problem i see with Kinect as it stands right now.. Too many people trying to shoehorn current/past game mechanics into this device (same as with the wii). There's a lot of potential here for say a game like CSI (where you manipulate the environment to find clues & catch/question suspects), or a RTS game (where you control your troops via gestures and verbal commands), or a flight sim (where you actually control every aspect of the cockpit which is not as easy as it sounds).. These are just a few ideas that would work in the Kinects favor.. instead of trying to figure out a way to implement this device into a genre that's overly saturated already.

supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

having a light gun would ruin the whole point of the kinect.

fadeetoblackk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fadeetoblackk
Member since 2011 • 459 Posts

i feel like it would only work with rail shooters

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points