A UNIQUE and INNOVATIVE RPG EXCLUSIVE ONLY in NDS!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

http://ds.ign.com/articles/867/867129p1.html

The World Ends With You also breaks the bonds of regular DS titles in a big way, specifically making use of the DS internal clock and local wireless to add to the gameplay substantially. When the system is off, for example, you earn experience for each day you didn't play (starting huge, and then dropping off for seven days until minimal), and while you won't want to spend time away from the game just to level up – the yield isn't that high – it's a great way to encourage players to come back to the game after a brief pause. We've touched on the food and fashion system before, but to sum up those aspects of the game players can gain attributes by eating food items, but actually need to digest the food before effects take place, so you'll eat a hot dog, feed your partner a hamburger, and then need to battle to work down the counter. Each piece of food takes a certain number of bites to eat though, and you can only use 24 bites in an actual day; yet another way the game blends the RPG world with real-time, Animal Crossing inspired sim aspects.

Fashion also plays a gigantic role in The World Ends With You, with each district in the game having preferred brands. Not only will you need to equip both your characters with the best items to boost stats, but you'll also need to pay attention to trends in the world. Use the right pin attacks and clothing in the right district and you'll nearly double your effectiveness in battle. Fail to pay attention, however, and you can be crippled instantly. We weren't sure what we thought of these very "out of the box" gameplay aspects at first – they could just have easily been a gimmick as anything else – but they've really grown on us, and it makes for a much stronger RPG experience having them in the game.

And it's really the attention to the little things that makes this such a unique and rewarding experience. Shop venders, for example, grow on you the more you shop at their store, dropping prices, giving you access to special, exclusive items, and giving you tips. There's also an "imprinting" system tied with the mind-reading system we touch on earlier, which allows you to learn phrases and ideas to imprint into the minds of the people in Shibuya. This is used constantly in story advancement, and adds an interesting mechanic into the mix.

The level of depth continues as you dive into the level progression and user interface of the game, including some truly inspired, user-determined character growth. You'll level up just like any other RPG, but will only truly thrive in The World Ends With You by dropping your level via a slider, and exchanging those levels for an increase of drop rate. Just like DS Castlevania model, each enemy you encounter has different drop rates for items or pins, and to get the truly rare drops you'll need to lower your levels substantially (we played a huge chunk of the game as a level one team, sacrificing all HP and damage for the chance at big cash, and incredible items) to essentially go big, or go home. More than any other RPG out there we've played, The World Ends With You combines an incredible mix of risk vs. reward.

That same user-determined risk continues throughout the game, as you can change the level of difficulty on the fly (again adding better items for more risk), can set the AI for your partner based on how much dual screen gameplay you want to tackle, and will need to determine which pins to level up and use during combat. With over 300 total pins (each with their own slide, tap, or drawing technique, and experience-based level system), there's a tremendous level of depth in just the battle mechanic alone. If that wasn't enough, the ability to chain together battles also adds yet another level of depth to the game, as you can trigger not just one, but multiple battles all in a row, using the same health bar but gaining an insane amount of pins and items if you can complete each of the fights in a row. With the right level of risk factored into the match, you can gain dozens upon dozens of pins in a single chain of battle. Granted that can include the general currency pins, which are used to exchange for money, and aren't the 300 battle pins in the game, but there's a huge difference between taking the easy way out, gaining a few hundred credits to spend at a shop, or risking it all to find rare items, new battle pins, and upwards of 30,000 in cash all in one daring fight.

Sonir77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sonir77
Member since 2006 • 1846 Posts
wow nice, i have been thinking about getting a ds maybe now i should
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts
Good review, another AA/AAA game for the DS to add to its list!
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
Be sure to have a link to the homepage for the cool music :P
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Higher than I expected. I'm still undecided in whether to get this or not.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lordlors
Those who want UNIQUE and INNOVATIVE RPGs with a different story from fantasy cliches should definitely look up to this game. I pre ordered this in play-asia. can't wait to get this.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lordlors
any other comment?
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
any other comment?lordlors

Well i'd like to say Your thread is more interesting now i read it :P

i'm impressed that aparently this isn't 'just another RPG'. They actually toyed around a little. Deserves a little praise so
*praise*
EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts
I imported this a while ago. I would go as far as saying it's among the top 10 jrpg's ever released and quite easily, the best game on the DS.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lordlors
it's real sad how most rpg lovers complain about numerous generic rpgs and yet they ignore rpgs like this one. RPGamer, what would be your impressions on this game?
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

it's real sad how most rpg lovers complain about numerous generic rpgs and yet they ignore rpgs like this one. RPGamer, what would be your impressions on this game?lordlors

I don't think he's up at this time.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts

I've played the Japanese version, and I can confidently say it is among the best games on the DS, period. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is one of the best jRPGs this gen, despite it being a pocket handheld game.

It has a gigantic scope and scale in depth, the learning curve is VERY steep to satisfy the most hardcore of RPG fans, it's targeted towards hardcore gamers in general, and the pocket-built handheld RPG is truly made for long sittings and quick bursts with its exp-based standby modes as well as regular playthroughs.

Simply put, I'd place this on par with the Final Fantasy franchise in terms of raw depth. I am THAT impressed, and I'm a Final Fantasy Fan. Even the IGN reviewer accepts this, he even goes as far as to say it rivals other exceptional DS titles like Phantom Hourglass.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
sounds great
EliteKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EliteKitteh
Member since 2008 • 805 Posts

I've played the Japanese version, and I can confidently say it is among the best games on the DS, period. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is one of the best jRPGs this gen, despite it being a pocket handheld game.

It has a gigantic scope and scale in depth, the learning curve is VERY steep to satisfy the most hardcore of RPG fans, it's targeted towards hardcore gamers in general, and the pocket-built handheld RPG is truly made for long sittings and quick bursts with its exp-based standby modes as well as regular playthroughs.

Simply put, I'd place this on par with the Final Fantasy franchise in terms of raw depth. I am THAT impressed, and I'm a Final Fantasy Fan. Even the IGN reviewer accepts this, he even goes as far as to say it rivals other exceptional DS titles like Phantom Hourglass.

Brainhunter

I agree with everything you, and the reviewer said.

This really is the best handheld RPG since Golden Sun. Maybe even better.

kaos-hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kaos-hero
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts
I bought the It's a Wonderful World at the Shibuya launch party last year and I wasn't impressed. The game was hard to play on the train and that's where I mostly play my portable RPGs.

Granted this is from the KH guys so it's got it charm. I just love how the Japanese here hated it cause of the same reasons I had but Americans are hyping this up. You can totally not play this on the train.
Weslii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Weslii
Member since 2007 • 2309 Posts
Nice, I hope there will be a Wii version or something.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Brainhunter
[QUOTE="Brainhunter"]

EliteKitteh

I agree with everything you, and the reviewer said.

This really is the best handheld RPG since Golden Sun. Maybe even better.

Thanks! If only more RPG developers would take the stand like Square-Enix, and actually make "risque" style games that stick a foot in the butt of "generic" formulas, and attempt something that has never been done before. They are one of the few jRPG developers out there that break the mold for their games.

The World Ends With You is a terrific example of a mold-breaker done right. It completely rejects every predefined formula in videogame design, all the more so in jRPGs, which suffer from a blunt repetitive nature at rehashing gameplay elements.

If only more games such as these would come out this generation on all the consoles, then we'd truly experience an evolution in the videogame industry, not just in graphics, but in gameplay, which is what videogames are all about. Cut down a bit on sequels and franchise milkage, shooters and the like, and try to make original new IPs once in a while, my dear developers.

Square-Enix has struck another homerun.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brainhunter

I bought the It's a Wonderful World at the Shibuya launch party last year and I wasn't impressed. The game was hard to play on the train and that's where I mostly play my portable RPGs.

Granted this is from the KH guys so it's got it charm. I just love how the Japanese here hated it cause of the same reasons I had but Americans are hyping this up. You can totally not play this on the train.
kaos-hero

Have you tried Elite Beat Agents / Osu Tatake Ouendan or its sequel on the train? Or on any road transport vehicle in general? Near-unplayable. Does that detract from their appeal or the general praise they have received? Absolutely not.

You can set the top screen to auto-fight for you anyway, in case it proves impossible to multitask in such situations (this game is a brain-buster in more ways than one... especially for split-mind quick-thinking multitasking decision making...)

I have one warning though for those thinking about getting this game : the theme is heavy on modern-day japanese pop and rap culture, and even though it has been translated generally well for Europe(the version I currently play), I can see people hating the art****/ setting. Heck, the monetary currency you pick up in battle is literally called "Bling" (while in the inventory it's called Yen, japanese currency).

Oh, and the main protagonist pisses me off, at least for a good portion of the story. His character is a huge turn-off.

POSSIBLE CHARACTER PERSONALITY SPOILERS(Is there such thing? o.O)

He's a huge 'tard with no sense of sympathy, compassion, or social appeal. He's pretty much FFVIII Squall ^10. The epitome / role model of the biggest loners in this world. Maybe because he represents the cliche japanese teen stereotype, I don't quite have a clue really, which this game seems to enjoy abstaining from providing you with for a large portion of the game.

END SPOILERS

Everything else is absolutely fantasticabulous.

kaos-hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kaos-hero
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

[QUOTE="kaos-hero"]I bought the It's a Wonderful World at the Shibuya launch party last year and I wasn't impressed. The game was hard to play on the train and that's where I mostly play my portable RPGs.

Brainhunter

Have you tried Elite Beat Agents / Osu Tatake Ouendan or its sequel on the train? Or on any road transport vehicle in general? Near-unplayable. Does that detract from their appeal or the general praise they have received? Absolutely not.

You can set the top screen to auto-fight for you anyway, in case it proves impossible to multitask in such situations (this game is a brain-buster in more ways than one... especially for split-mind quick-thinking multitasking decision making...)

I have one warning though for those thinking about getting this game : the theme is heavy on modern-day japanese pop and rap culture, and even though it has been translated generally well for Europe(the version I currently play), I can see people hating the art****/ setting. Heck, the monetary currency you pick up in battle is literally called "Bling" (while in the inventory it's called Yen, japanese currency).

Oh, and the main protagonist pisses me off, at least for a good portion of the story. His character is a huge turn-off.

POSSIBLE CHARACTER PERSONALITY SPOILERS(Is there such thing? o.O)

He's a huge 'tard with no sense of sympathy, compassion, or social appeal. He's pretty much FFVIII Squall ^10. The epitome / role model of the biggest loners in this world. Maybe because he represents the cliche japanese teen stereotype, I don't quite have a clue really, which this game seems to enjoy abstaining from providing you with for a large portion of the game.

END SPOILERS

Everything else is absolutely fantasticabulous.

Meh, I played Ouendan but only to impress girls at the campus or to keep the kids from doing crazy stuff at the daycare. The music is good though and I love the Robots attacking Tokyo episode!

I aggree with the characters though, but I liked them. They were cute. The Shinigami were awesome though!

The soundtrack is worth the 2000円 because of "Twister" and "Slash & Slash", but maaaan if you can find a decent place to play it by all means do it but I'm the kind of person who can only play portable RPGs on the train due to time so I've been stuck with FFTA^2 or FFIV.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
I might get i watched the 1up preview and they said it's emo-esque but they said it's one of the best DS games available or something along those lines
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Im getting it day 1.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
I glad it got a AAA score. Less then a week to go.:D
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I imported this a while ago. I would go as far as saying it's among the top 10 jrpg's ever released and quite easily, the best game on the DS.EliteKitteh

Is it turned based or real time? Please say turned based....I hate the combat system for FF7:CC

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

[QUOTE="EliteKitteh"]I imported this a while ago. I would go as far as saying it's among the top 10 jrpg's ever released and quite easily, the best game on the DS.HarlockJC

Is it turned based or real time? Please say turned based....I hate the combat system for FF7:CC

It look real time from what I seen. But it look really fun.