A revived argument: Xbox 360 = next-gen Dreamcast.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WheresMyChippy
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts

First off, I know the 360 has sold better than the Dreamcast.

But lets look at things as they stand.  The 360 clearly is not as future-proof as the PS3.  It will not last as many years.  Is it a good sytem?  Absolutely!  The Dreamcast was a great system too and one of the first to show me the real potential of home 3D graphics, the first time I saw Crazy Taxi running at a smooth 60fps I knew 3D graphics had finally reached acceptable standards.

The 360 (just like the DC) is attempting to revolutionize the way we play console games multiplayer.  The DC had its built-in modem and grandios online service plans.  The 360 actually realizes these plans, but leave much room for improvement just as the DC did.

The 360 has many excellent exclusive games, but because the previous Xbox was not as popular the selection is limited.  Just like the DC... HOWEVER what is there is excellent, but maybe just not enough to rival the Playstation and its horde of talented programmers making exclusive titles, just like the PS2.

True, the 360 is doing better than the Dreamcast ever did but the fact remains, it probably has a 2-3 year lifespan at best, once the PS3 steamroller passes through it will fade away but never be completely forgotten.  I respect the 360 for what it has brought to the gaming industry but lets face it, the real deal is the Playstation 3.  It has the games, the support, the hardware and the userbase to succeed.  We'll speak fondly of the 360 years from now, as an excellent platform with some excellent titles, but the true legend of next-gen belongs to the PS3, like it or not.

downPlayDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 downPlayDemon
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
At this point in time it seems as if PS3 is the next gen N64, Not 360 being the next dreamcast. PS3 has supposedly more powerful hardware, a an expensive media format, and a lack of games.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
On every big difference here. MS has lots of money, Sega did not.
liljon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 liljon546
Member since 2005 • 2301 Posts
Actaully the Dreamcast sold 10.6 million, while the 360 has sold 10.4 million. But still the 360 is no Dreamcast. The 360 is just too good of a system.
Davis092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Davis092
Member since 2006 • 1449 Posts
What about the Wii? I would say PS3 distant 2nd to the Wii by your predicament.
OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OfficialJab
Member since 2005 • 3249 Posts

True, the 360 is doing better than the Dreamcast ever did but the fact remains, it probably has a 2-3 year lifespan at best, once the PS3 steamroller passes through it will fade away but never be completely forgotten. I respect the 360 for what it has brought to the gaming industry but lets face it, the real deal is the Playstation 3. It has the games, the support, the hardware and the userbase to succeed. We'll speak fondly of the 360 years from now, as an excellent platform with some excellent titles, but the true legend of next-gen belongs to the PS3, like it or not. WheresMyChippy

I think the 360 is the PS2 of this generation because it has the more laid-back gamer audience. That and it's already sold too much. And the whole paragraph I quoted was cowish predictions. We'll see though I guess. 

Infinatey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Infinatey
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

OR....

Wii is a good system

360 is a good system

PS3 is a good sysytem

*waits to be flamed*

Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts
:| except M$ has money, and 360 has sold ALOT better. other than THAT :roll:
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

But lets look at things as they stand.  The 360 clearly is not as future-proof as the PS3.  It will not last as many years.  Is it a good sytem?  Absolutely!  The Dreamcast was a great system too and one of the first to show me the real potential of home 3D graphics, the first time I saw Crazy Taxi running at a smooth 60fps I knew 3D graphics had finally reached acceptable standards.

The 360 (just like the DC) is attempting to revolutionize the way we play console games multiplayer.  The DC had its built-in modem and grandios online service plans.  The 360 actually realizes these plans, but leave much room for improvement just as the DC did.

The 360 has many excellent exclusive games, but because the previous Xbox was not as popular the selection is limited.  Just like the DC... HOWEVER what is there is excellent, but maybe just not enough to rival the Playstation and its horde of talented programmers making exclusive titles, just like the PS2.

True, the 360 is doing better than the Dreamcast ever did but the fact remains, it probably has a 2-3 year lifespan at best, once the PS3 steamroller passes through it will fade away but never be completely forgotten.  I respect the 360 for what it has brought to the gaming industry but lets face it, the real deal is the Playstation 3.  It has the games, the support, the hardware and the userbase to succeed.  We'll speak fondly of the 360 years from now, as an excellent platform with some excellent titles, but the true legend of next-gen belongs to the PS3, like it or not.

WheresMyChippy

1. MS != Sega. The entire concept of this comparison fails right at the companies themselves. Where Sega lacked funds to really fight the good fight, MS does not.

2. The flaws that Live has are no where near the shortcomings of what the DC offered.

3. There seems to be a great deal of diverse development for the Xbox 360 as is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
i disagree. sony isnt known for there 1st party. yes god of war and gt are great games. great sellers. god of war will atleast get u 1.5 million plus. gt can be a killer app(4-5 million plus.). but sonys bread and butter has been there third party dominance. they have been losing that lately if it keeps going that way sony will not win. god of war, ico, and shadow of the colloasuse didnt sell the ps2. no mgs 2, mgs 3, gta 3, gta vice city, gta san andreas, ffX, FFXII, KH, KH3,Resident evil, onimusha, devilmay cry, etc sold PS2 not the 1st/2nd party.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
I don't how many times I have to say this but neither the 360 or any other system is or will be the "next Dreamcast". First because SEGA isn't the one making it, nor making it's first-party titles and building the library according to their philosophy.
WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WheresMyChippy

OR....

Wii is a good system

360 is a good system

PS3 is a good sysytem

*waits to be flamed*

Infinatey
360 is a good system! Please don't take me wrong. But I feel its lifespan will be premature like the Dreamcast. Its an excellent filler system until the real Playstation 3 goods start rolling out. Just like my DC I feel I will look back on my 360 fondly, imagining all the greatness it could have achieved if not for Sony and their Playstation steamroller crushing all hopes.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jg4xchamp

OR....

Wii is a good system

360 is a good system

PS3 is a good sysytem

*waits to be flamed*

Infinatey
hope u dont get flamed cause thats a fact. i dont want a ps3 anytime soon cause im not looking forward to any of the exclusives except PS3 but its a good system.
RKFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RKFS
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts

but the true legend of next-gen belongs to the PS3, like it or not.

We don't know it yet, like it or not...
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
On every big difference here. MS has lots of money, Sega did not.makingmusic476
true but the point stands
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="Infinatey"]

OR....

Wii is a good system

360 is a good system

PS3 is a good sysytem

*waits to be flamed*

WheresMyChippy
360 is a good system! Please don't take me wrong. But I feel its lifespan will be premature like the Dreamcast. Its an excellent filler system until the real Playstation 3 goods start rolling out. Just like my DC I feel I will look back on my 360 fondly, imagining all the greatness it could have achieved if not for Sony and their Playstation steamroller crushing all hopes.

DC production had to stop because sega couldnt support it with a lack of funding, ms has way more money. way way way more money. 360 will give sony its run. so will the wii. if the ps3 wins this time it wont be a runaway hit. it will just squeeeeeeeeeeeze by.
LordoverFeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LordoverFeind
Member since 2006 • 1041 Posts

On every big difference here. MS has lots of money, Sega did not.makingmusic476

So true ms lost 5 billion on the original xbox and is still here and the 360 lost close to 1 billion in japan but ms is still there too. This is what makes ms so dangerous they simply buy their way in or use their money to grind down their opponents thru attrition.

WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WheresMyChippy
I don't how many times I have to say this but neither the 360 or any other system is or will be the "next Dreamcast". First because SEGA isn't the one making it, nor making it's first-party titles and building the library according to their philosophy.Panzer_Zwei
I guess I should clarify I don't mean it will literally be the next Dreamcast but in my mind, the Dreamcast was a great, underrated system that ended up only being filler material between the original Playstation and Playstation 2. I see the 360 as filler material between the Playstation 2 and the Playstation 3. A great system, no doubt, but dead before its time. Yeah yeah Sega didn't have as much money as Microsoft but no company is willing to take TOO big of losses on a system and I think once the PS3 gets going sadly the 360 will fade and no longer be profitable.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

When will these (inserts random system) comparison's to the Dreamcast end. Compare systems to the Virtual Boy or the Jaguar. 

I think I've gotten to a point that I prefer Dreamcast over all system because I'm a diehard fanboy of fighters :)

WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WheresMyChippy
[QUOTE="WheresMyChippy"]

But lets look at things as they stand. The 360 clearly is not as future-proof as the PS3. It will not last as many years. Is it a good sytem? Absolutely! The Dreamcast was a great system too and one of the first to show me the real potential of home 3D graphics, the first time I saw Crazy Taxi running at a smooth 60fps I knew 3D graphics had finally reached acceptable standards.

The 360 (just like the DC) is attempting to revolutionize the way we play console games multiplayer. The DC had its built-in modem and grandios online service plans. The 360 actually realizes these plans, but leave much room for improvement just as the DC did.

The 360 has many excellent exclusive games, but because the previous Xbox was not as popular the selection is limited. Just like the DC... HOWEVER what is there is excellent, but maybe just not enough to rival the Playstation and its horde of talented programmers making exclusive titles, just like the PS2.

True, the 360 is doing better than the Dreamcast ever did but the fact remains, it probably has a 2-3 year lifespan at best, once the PS3 steamroller passes through it will fade away but never be completely forgotten. I respect the 360 for what it has brought to the gaming industry but lets face it, the real deal is the Playstation 3. It has the games, the support, the hardware and the userbase to succeed. We'll speak fondly of the 360 years from now, as an excellent platform with some excellent titles, but the true legend of next-gen belongs to the PS3, like it or not.

-RPGamer-

1. MS != Sega. The entire concept of this comparison fails right at the companies themselves. Where Sega lacked funds to really fight the good fight, MS does not.

2. The flaws that Live has are no where near the shortcomings of what the DC offered.

3. There seems to be a great deal of diverse development for the Xbox 360 as is.

1. No matter how much money a company has they are only willing to incur so much loss before the shareholders will say TIME TO STOP! 2. Obviously the DC had more flaws but then again the times have changed, the 360 online service is absolutely superb, which is why it will be copied and then no longer be a selling point once Sony catches on. 3. This is true but the DC had some pretty unique games too that didn't manage to save it. Once again this is not a 1:1 comparison of DC vs. 360, but an observation that both will be dead before they deserve to be, yet looked upon fondly for what they contributed to the gaming industry.
users-name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 users-name
Member since 2006 • 574 Posts
the only problem i see is if microsoft decides that gaming isnt going to make them any money(they lost 5 billion dollars on xbox). even with all the great titles they are spending huge amounts of money to secure, the system is not sellign as well as it shud. the wii actually might fatally wound the 360, hear me out on this one. for people who think ps3 is too expensive and are looking for a cheaper more casual gaming experience, will not go to 360, but to the wii, even though that should of been a strong selling point for ms.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

WheresMyChippy

1. No matter how much money a company has they are only willing to incur so much loss before the shareholders will say TIME TO STOP! 2. Obviously the DC had more flaws but then again the times have changed, the 360 online service is absolutely superb, which is why it will be copied and then no longer be a selling point once Sony catches on. 3. This is true but the DC had some pretty unique games too that didn't manage to save it. Once again this is not a 1:1 comparison of DC vs. 360, but an observation that both will be dead before they deserve to be, yet looked upon fondly for what they contributed to the gaming industry.

1. How much did MS lose on the Xbox last gen again? Further more you're comparison was between the DC and Xbox 360. Sega couldn't support it any longer, MS isn't going to run into that issue, plain and simple.

2. When Sony catches up, are we assuming MS won't move on?

3. I don't see your "point" being supported any where in this thread. Your observation is unfounded.

WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WheresMyChippy

When will these (inserts random system) comparison's to the Dreamcast end. Compare systems to the Virtual Boy or the Jaguar.

I think I've gotten to a point that I prefer Dreamcast over all system because I'm a diehard fanboy of fighters :)

kage_53
Sorry but comparison to the virtual boy doesn't make sense as the VB was trying to do some absurdly futuristic stuff but without the technology to handle it. The 360 is perfectly within the bounds of technology to do what it does best. The Jaguar had no support... something the 360 clearly has, and so did the Dreamcast to an extent. Also those two were systems that are deemed pretty terrible by history, while the Dreamcast was great and so is the 360, both have (had) absolutely great potential but were simply flattened by the Playstation brand. The Dreamcast did some amazing stuff for its time, raised people's graphics standards before the PS2, and had online capabilities built in in the form of a modem before anyone else. Yet it has become a thing of the past. I don't with for people to forget the 360, it has brought unified online to consoles and many other ideas, yet I feel it will be trumped simply by Sony's dominance in the field, not by any shortcomings of its own.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="WheresMyChippy"]

But lets look at things as they stand. The 360 clearly is not as future-proof as the PS3. It will not last as many years. Is it a good sytem? Absolutely! The Dreamcast was a great system too and one of the first to show me the real potential of home 3D graphics, the first time I saw Crazy Taxi running at a smooth 60fps I knew 3D graphics had finally reached acceptable standards.

The 360 (just like the DC) is attempting to revolutionize the way we play console games multiplayer. The DC had its built-in modem and grandios online service plans. The 360 actually realizes these plans, but leave much room for improvement just as the DC did.

The 360 has many excellent exclusive games, but because the previous Xbox was not as popular the selection is limited. Just like the DC... HOWEVER what is there is excellent, but maybe just not enough to rival the Playstation and its horde of talented programmers making exclusive titles, just like the PS2.

True, the 360 is doing better than the Dreamcast ever did but the fact remains, it probably has a 2-3 year lifespan at best, once the PS3 steamroller passes through it will fade away but never be completely forgotten. I respect the 360 for what it has brought to the gaming industry but lets face it, the real deal is the Playstation 3. It has the games, the support, the hardware and the userbase to succeed. We'll speak fondly of the 360 years from now, as an excellent platform with some excellent titles, but the true legend of next-gen belongs to the PS3, like it or not.

WheresMyChippy

Great logic . Would be a lot better for you if MS did not already sell like 5 times the amount of PS3. MS sold close to 11 mil now and PS3 what around 2 - 2.5 mil. Whats the best first party game Sony has? It is GoW and they knew betetr to sell it on PS3 they sold it on their last gen system. Meanwhile Mass Effect right around the corner and even if which I doubt but gets only AA it will still sell HUGE. Your big Christmas title is Killzone and first one was what 6.9 not even a A while it goes against HALO and both of them where AAA. And you gotta admit Halo 3 will sell a ton of systems.
WheresMyChippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WheresMyChippy

[QUOTE="WheresMyChippy"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

-RPGamer-

1. How much did MS lose on the Xbox last gen again? Further more you're comparison was between the DC and Xbox 360. Sega couldn't support it any longer, MS isn't going to run into that issue, plain and simple.

3. I don't see your "point" being supported any where in this thread. Your observation is unfounded.

1. Yes Microsoft will run in to that issue. You act like it was a positive or small thing that they lost so much money last gen. Oh, no, it wasn't, it is not a good thing to lose that much money and no arm of any company can handle losses like that year after year. Angry shareholders could pull the plug on Microsoft's gaming division. 2. Its not a matter of how well MS does it, its a matter of brand recognition and trust. Even if PS3 only emulates what Xbox Live has to offer half way, it could be enough. Not to mention, as afar as consoles go online play is still a minority. 3. What is there not to understand? Both systems had support, but support means nothing if the competition has a bigger, louder audience preaching its name. The PS2 was absolutely inferior in almost every way but it had the sales, and thus the games, to push it to record-breaking status as quite possibly the greatest game system of all time.

EDIT I am sorry that I have to go for a while but I respect all opinions please post! 

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="WheresMyChippy"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

WheresMyChippy

1. How much did MS lose on the Xbox last gen again? Further more you're comparison was between the DC and Xbox 360. Sega couldn't support it any longer, MS isn't going to run into that issue, plain and simple.

1. Yes Microsoft will run in to that issue. You act like it was a positive or small thing that they lost so much money last gen. Oh, no, it wasn't, it is not a good thing to lose that much money and no arm of any company can handle losses like that year after year. Angry shareholders could pull the plug on Microsoft's gaming division. 2. Its not a matter of how well MS does it, its a matter of brand recognition and trust. Even if PS3 only emulates what Xbox Live has to offer half way, it could be enough. Not to mention, as afar as consoles go online play is still a minority. 3. What is there not to understand? Both systems had support, but support means nothing if the competition has a bigger, louder audience preaching its name. The PS2 was absolutely inferior in almost every way but it had the sales, and thus the games, to push it to record-breaking status as quite possibly the greatest game system of all time.

EDIT I am sorry that I have to go for a while but I respect all opinions please post! 

1. It's not small, just relatively small for MS to what they want in the end. What MS lost on the other hand is not small for a company like Sega back in the day. MS expected loses, any share holders were already aware of that.

2. Could this, could that. None of it really supports your initial claims that the Xbox 360 is the next DC. Yes I do agree that online gaming is currently the minority, does this mean it will remain? Nope.

3. So wait the inferior (not built with the future in mind) PS2 trumped the stronger Xbox? Why do you think that can't happen for the Xbox 360 verse the PS3? Do you think the Playstation namebrand will always be there to save Sony's consoles?

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

The problem with the DC was that it's games eventually petered out.  We defintely don't see that with the 360.

Regarding online... of the 360 owners out there, over half are online with it.

The way I see it, MS is using good ideas we saw on the DC, expanding on them and actually making them work.

btw, how's Armored Core, Ace Combat and Devil May Cry treating you?

pins_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pins_basic
Member since 2003 • 11521 Posts

WheresMyChippy
Did Sega have MS type money? Did they have as much third party support as the 360? Nope, they wer broke, EA didn't support them and they didn't have a title on Halo's level. Live is the best online plan around and is much more popular than Seganet. How about you wait till someone improves apon it with all the room they have to work with? Now, Halo 3 isn't even out and you are telling me that the next Xbox will be out this year or next year at the latest?
_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _koolgirl_
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

WheresMyChippy

First off, the 360 is not as "future proof" as PS3??  That is only Sony propaganda.  Why are they,  because of Blu ray??  Blu ray that has nothing to do with gaming but only Sony hoping to fill their pockets with royalties from all the Movie Studios.?  With PS2 it was different.  DVD was the new sure thing, PS2 was the cheapest way to get it.  PS3 did it so early that by the time Blu Ray is the next big thing, players will be so cheap it will no longer be considered a selling point.

If Ps2 came out right now with DVD plyback, who wold care when you can buy a standalone for $30???

The PS2 had many exclusive games because of it's userbase.  The PS3 is not selling well which is why franchises like Devil May Cry "jump ship" , not to mention all the "exclusives" that turned out not to be (Assassins Creed, Unreal Tournament 3, Mercenaries 2, etc).  You claim 360  has few exclusive titles due to last gen yet fail to recognise one of them is Halo (only outsold by GTA last gen) or that MS has strived to increase it's exclusive library by signing on companies like Mistwalker to make Blue Dragon and Lost Oddyssey.  They have made contracts with companies like Epic for Gears of War.  Their exclusives are FAR stronger this gen than last.  Sony does have a horde of talent yet it is funny most people don't bring up Jak and Daxter, Socom, Rachett and Clank, Ape Escape or the Getaway when speaking of Sony systems, Sony systems were sold because of 3rd party support (FF, MGS, Devil May Cry among many many others).  Sony has been doing nothing but lose 3rd party exclusives lately.

For your final point, PS3 has "the games, support, hardware and userbase to succeed".  Does it??  It has the games?  6 month old 360 games??  A big number of games now going to both systems?  What games are there to pull a 360 owner over?

Userbase is subject, the casual base goes to the cheapest system which has the most games.  That is Wii or 360 right now.

It is just a completely different scenario this time.  While people completely ignored DC in wait of the PS2, they didn't do this with 360.  More often than not I heard people say they would get a 360 and trade it in later for a PS3.  Then the price came out, then the system came out with a bunch of dud games, now it's getting a ton of games that have been on 360 for 6 or more months, not to mention all the bad press.  People who "used" to be Sony fans are now happy owners of a 360.

wiistation360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wiistation360
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts
you cant say the 360 have 2-3 in its life span.if dev think it got big userbase,they'll release their games on it.you wondder why the ps2 is still getting most games?
CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

Honestly TC you are flat out wrong.  Why on earth would the second incarnation of the xbox be the one to fail?

The Xbox didn't 'fail' the way the dreamcast did so why would the 360?  Hell, the only thing that kept the xbox alive was Halo, but that alone was enough.  Why now, with a 10 million + installed base and Halo 3 in the future would it fail?  We have seen that Halo alone is enough to keep the system alive.  A pure success? Nope, but hardly a failure.

Now we have the 360, with GTA + EA + Halo.  Nope, it won't fail.  That combo is pure casual fodder that will push so many units it will make Sony cringe.

chat2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chat2
Member since 2005 • 399 Posts

I dont think that xbox 360 is the ps2 of this generation, ps2 is not a pc port console, ps2 target audience range from kids to mature gamers, eastern and western gamers, casual and hardcore gamers, its a huge selection of genres, unlike xbox which is limited to mostly FPS.

I also dont think that xbox 360 is the next dreamcast, Bill Gates is loaded! and besides xbox 360 is the console for gamers who cant afford a gaming pc

crunchy9178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 crunchy9178
Member since 2004 • 305 Posts
I don't have any links on me right now but I'm pretty sure that one of the main reasons why the DC fell over is because the lack of support from the developers who moved over to PS2. Basically before the DC Sega had a bunch of dud consoles such as the Saturn and the devs (also the public) lost confidence in the Sega brand by the DC came out. This resulted in support in favor of the moved to PS2 which was also piggybacking off the success of the PS1. The situation in this generation is much different! MS didn't release a series of dud consoles prior to the 360. Also with all these PS3 exclusives going to the 360 too it seems that developer support is stronger than ever. Get your facts right dude.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

I know the difference...oh oh oh

One company is called Sega and another one is called Microsoft for god sakes.

I can't stand these kinds of threads. If you know so much about how products to and you're so amazing at predicting and forecasting financials go work from Goldman Sachs or Meryl Lynch, why are you here? You should tell MS this so they can burn all the Xbox's and erase every owner to wipe out the memory of it from our heads because the 360 is obviously a DC reincarnate. 

Twiztid-Maddox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Twiztid-Maddox
Member since 2003 • 699 Posts
Everyone that thinks clearly will say the PS3 has become a Dreamcast incarnate... if anything, Microsoft has become the new Sony...
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lucas_kelly
Member since 2005 • 5783 Posts

WheresMyChippy
If Xbox 360 has a 2-3 year life span what dose the Wii have? It will last for at least 5 years, I guarantee it.
rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
Does not make to much sense when 360 has around 11 mil sold and lets say ps3 did sell 500k with launch which I doubt but if they did. They have around 2 - 2.5 mil sold. So 360 still has outsold PS3 by 5 times the amount. So PS3 needs to sell a huge amount more before calling 360 another DC cause at this point seems other way if anything.
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

"It has the games, the support, the hardware and the userbase to succeed."

Should be:

"It has the hardware to succeed."

siafni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 siafni
Member since 2005 • 629 Posts

WheresMyChippy

I'm interested in what you said, but there's something I would like you to elaborate:

How is PS3 future proof?

What exclusives are you referring to (other than MGS4 and FF13)? 

pog_ma_thoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pog_ma_thoin
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
The difference is that the 360 has the support of thrid party developers, is even stealing exlusives from Sony, and is definately not low in funds.