A Question to 360 owners

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts

OK alot of 360 fans are saying that Halo 3 will have this HUGE effect on 360 sales,which there is no doubt that systems will sell because of this but and there is a BUT how many? I mean there are about 1,000,000 pre-orders(which is amazing) but thats only about 10% of all 360 owners as of right now, so if 90% of 360 owners aren't getting the game what makes you think there is going to be this huge outside rush? So far everyone I talk to say they got the 360 already for Halo 3. With this in mind how many consoles do you think this game will push?

...thoughts

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts
Maybe push the 1 million mark? Thats tops....I didn't get into Xbox until after Halo 2, so I'm not exactly sure what Halo fans will do.
Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts

OK alot of 360 fans are saying that Halo 3 will have this HUGE effect on 360 sales,which there is no doubt that systems will sell because of this but and there is a BUT how many? I mean there are about 1,000,000 pre-orders(which is amazing) but thats only about 10% of all 360 owners as of right now, so if 90% of 360 owners aren't getting the game what makes you think there is going to be this huge outside rush? So far everyone I talk to say they got the 360 already for Halo 3. With this in mind how many consoles do you think this game will push?

...thoughts

sparkypants

1 million for the U.S. More overall.

And to your question, how the hell do I know? :|

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
Pre-orders don't equal total sales. In fact, most of the sales aren't pre-ordered. Take from that what you will.
Tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Tactis
Member since 2006 • 1568 Posts
um its not 10% that was only one million in the USA which has about 6 million so that 1-6 ratio of people buying just in NA so thats pretty significant as to how many it will push um.... its just going to be too hard to tell i think September is going to be high for the 360 because of halo 3 i would expect 600k instead of the usual 300-400k that time of year but as time goes on the 360 with halo 3 + plus all the other games and the cheaper price should push 360 sales to like 17-18million by the end of the year....
xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts

OK alot of 360 fans are saying that Halo 3 will have this HUGE effect on 360 sales,which there is no doubt that systems will sell because of this but and there is a BUT how many? I mean there are about 1,000,000 pre-orders(which is amazing) but thats only about 10% of all 360 owners as of right now, so if 90% of 360 owners aren't getting the game

sparkypants

What makes you think the other 90% won't get it? People just know not to reserve games because its not that serious. You can walk into a store and pick it up anytime.

ginglejangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ginglejangle
Member since 2007 • 3171 Posts

my gamecrazy and gamestop are doing pre orders on the halo 360 and will get 50 of them and all of them are already pre ordered.

thats 100 people who bought a halo 3 for 360.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
The general media (CNN, local news) will make a big deal about HALO3 and they will probably run an ad in the movie theaters so it should drum up interest in the 360. Impossible to say how many converts it will win.
sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sparkypants

um its not 10% that was only one million in the USA which has about 6 million so that 1-6 ratio of people buying just in NA so thats pretty significant as to how many it will push um.... its just going to be too hard to tell i think September is going to be high for the 360 because of halo 3 i would expect 600k instead of the usual 300-400k that time of year but as time goes on the 360 with halo 3 + plus all the other games and the cheaper price should push 360 sales to like 17-18million by the end of the year....Tactis

This is true and I was kinddda just refering to NA anyway...

xDonRobx

What makes you think the other 90% won't get it? People just know not to reserve games because its not that serious. You can walk into a store and pick it up anytime.

I talking about the release, Will Halo3 have the same effect the 360 like 2 did for the Xbox

Mystikef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Mystikef
Member since 2003 • 5125 Posts

Offhand, I can think of at least6 people who do not have 360s that will buy one once Halo 3 comes out. They all want one already, but just haven't gotten around to picking one up. (These are adults like me, mind you, as well as busy professionals.)

But since we have regular System Link Halo games, (Halo 1 with mods, mostly) and we will probably move onto Halo 3, they will want to practice, play it, play it online, and then get good enough to try to dominate on gaming night. We just need 2 more HD TVs at my brother's house and we are set for Halo 3! (4 tvs, 4 360s, 8 players - fun fun!!).

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
ii'm one of the people that kind of bought a 360 for halo 2, i bought it for crackdown and gears of war, i just bought it both good games...i don't plan on pre ordering halo 3 maybe once they restock halo 3 again
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts
Keep in mind that people buy consoles every year for Madden. Yes, an annual football game. If people will do that for a game that comes out once a year, imagine what they'll do for the "end" to one of the most popular videogame trilogies ever?
sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sparkypants

Keep in mind that people buy consoles every year for Madden. Yes, an annual football game. If people will do that for a game that comes out once a year, imagine what they'll do for the "end" to one of the most popular videogame trilogies ever?SeanBond

While this is true there are more people interseted in Madden then Halo(Its kindda sad when you think about it). I mean My dad likes playing Madden but could care less about Halo :(

Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Art_424
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts

[QUOTE="SeanBond"]Keep in mind that people buy consoles every year for Madden. Yes, an annual football game. If people will do that for a game that comes out once a year, imagine what they'll do for the "end" to one of the most popular videogame trilogies ever?sparkypants

While this is true there are more people interseted in Madden then Halo(Its kindda sad when you think about it). I mean My dad likes playing Madden but could care less about Halo :(

So if your dad doesnt like it, Halo 3 will flop?....:lol:

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sparkypants
[QUOTE="sparkypants"]

[QUOTE="SeanBond"]Keep in mind that people buy consoles every year for Madden. Yes, an annual football game. If people will do that for a game that comes out once a year, imagine what they'll do for the "end" to one of the most popular videogame trilogies ever?Art_424

I never said that In fact the game flopping dosent even have anything to do with this thread(in fact Im hyping AAA and Im not even a lemming)Geeze fanboys:roll:

My point is "Will Halo 3 push alot of 360 sales, will it be enough?"

Its just a question of though because I dont think so yet there are alot of 360 fans claiming otherwise

Art_424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Art_424
Member since 2004 • 1745 Posts
[QUOTE="Art_424"][QUOTE="sparkypants"]

[QUOTE="SeanBond"]Keep in mind that people buy consoles every year for Madden. Yes, an annual football game. If people will do that for a game that comes out once a year, imagine what they'll do for the "end" to one of the most popular videogame trilogies ever?sparkypants

I never said that In fact the game flopping dosent even have anything to do with this thread(in fact Im hyping AAA and Im not even a lemming)Geeze fanboys:roll:

My point is "Will Halo 3 push alot of 360 sales, will it be enough?"

Its just a question of though because I dont think so yet there are alot of 360 fans claiming otherwise

Why do you care so much, geez, just wait till the darn game comes out.....fact is, it will push some consoles. Any guesses at this point is irrelevant.

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

...thoughts

sparkypants

Your logic fails horribly when you realize that preorders are NOT the only way to get the game. I can and will go into more detail of why will Halo 3 push consoles, but I'll give you a quick rundown if you don't want to read:

Everyone said the same thing about Halo 2. It was in an even worse situation, as more people had the Xbox by then, and the product was much more mature (meaning spikes in sales were less likely), and pretty much everyone who played Halo had an Xbox by then. It had a massive number of preorders, but not too many compared to the number of Xboxes. And it made the xbox outsell the PS2 during November 2004.

Now, going into more detail. The 360 has Gears of War, but it didn't prove to be a Halo-level killer app. The 360 is yet to get all the IPs that made it sell at all, and Halo is the 600 pound gorilla in that list.

Go into XBL to play Halo 2. It's the second most played game out there, and you'll usually see a large number of xbox only players. You can go to bungie.net and check there the amount of people active without gamercards.

Then, you've got the Media Blitz. Halo is part of popular culture, despite it's sales. It's a well known property and known to be popular amongst casuals (fanboys keep ranting about this, too). This would be enough to insure a spike in console sales... and we're not counting the massive advertising as well as stuff like deals and promotions. This will ensure the amount of consoles sold.

This will compound to the recent price drop (which will trigger a nonlinear increase in sales, or at least should), and ramping up of 360 game releases that should raise consumer interest during the next month and a half.

All these will help spur 360 sales. How many consoles will it push? I'm guessing closer to Wii levels than to the actual level in September and maybe october, and after that, we won't know, since it'll be mixed with the holidays, and those should be a bigger factor than H3 by then.

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sparkypants
[QUOTE="sparkypants"]

...thoughts

Grive

Your logic fails horribly when you realize that preorders are NOT the only way to get the game. I can and will go into more detail of why will Halo 3 push consoles, but I'll give you a quick rundown if you don't want to read:

Everyone said the same thing about Halo 2. It was in an even worse situation, as more people had the Xbox by then, and the product was much more mature (meaning spikes in sales were less likely), and pretty much everyone who played Halo had an Xbox by then. It had a massive number of preorders, but not too many compared to the number of Xboxes. And it made the xbox outsell the PS2 during November 2004.

Now, going into more detail. The 360 has Gears of War, but it didn't prove to be a Halo-level killer app. The 360 is yet to get all the IPs that made it sell at all, and Halo is the 600 pound gorilla in that list.

Go into XBL to play Halo 2. It's the second most played game out there, and you'll usually see a large number of xbox only players. You can go to bungie.net and check there the amount of people active without gamercards.

Then, you've got the Media Blitz. Halo is part of popular culture, despite it's sales. It's a well known property and known to be popular amongst casuals (fanboys keep ranting about this, too). This would be enough to insure a spike in console sales... and we're not counting the massive advertising as well as stuff like deals and promotions. This will ensure the amount of consoles sold.

This will compound to the recent price drop (which will trigger a nonlinear increase in sales, or at least should), and ramping up of 360 game releases that should raise consumer interest during the next month and a half.

All these will help spur 360 sales. How many consoles will it push? I'm guessing closer to Wii levels than to the actual level in September and maybe october, and after that, we won't know, since it'll be mixed with the holidays, and those should be a bigger factor than H3 by then.

Best answer yet :D

But here is a question despite all the advertising and such(Halo Mt. Dew FTW) alot of casual are all ready on board with the Wii(even though Im not entirly thrilled with it...thats for another thread though) Do you reallly think the casuals will swich? I mean I know pre-orders dont equal total sales but Im talking this holiday season. I mean there are alot of crazy cool games coming out this holiday season(for all systems)more so then when Halo 2 came out. Do you think 3 will have a huge effect in sales or will the Wii or even the PS3's line up over shadow it?

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
10% of 360 owners are preordering the game. Doesn't mean more won't buy the game.
ginglejangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ginglejangle
Member since 2007 • 3171 Posts
[QUOTE="ginglejangle"]

my gamecrazy and gamestop are doing pre orders on the halo 360 and will get 50 of them and all of them are already pre ordered.

thats 100 people who bought a halo 3 for 360.

farrell2k

That is such BS. I can't stand eb's preorder lies. "Oh, we're onloy getting like 7 copies, so you'd better preorder so I can meet my quota." They're going to get 100 or more copies of any huge title.

idoubt their getting more then 50 halo 360's.

subject117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 subject117
Member since 2002 • 4824 Posts
You know, most games can only dream of even 1,000,000. Even 400,000 can be considered a moderate success. I think it will certainly sell more than 1,000,000 though, especially during the first week.
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
How many people actually preorder their games instaed of just buying them? One million people have already preordered the game, how many games can say they sold one million games at all?
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
I see no point in pre-ordering unless a you get something for doing it. I will be able to walk in and pick up Halo 3 on the first day , without a pre-order. I did it with Halo 2.
High_Fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 High_Fly
Member since 2003 • 2846 Posts
I Loved halo 1, i hate halo 2. But even though im not going to pre order halo 3 doesnt mean that im not going to get it sooner or later, just dont want to shell out 60 for it right now.
PotatoSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 PotatoSan
Member since 2005 • 3491 Posts
Yeah, cuz everybody who's getting Halo3 has preordered it :(
johncraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 johncraven
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts
I'm gonna buy Halo and I didn't pre-order... you think everybody wants to pre-order their games?
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts
Yeah I won't preorder it just so that I don't have to tie myself down to one store; look what happened with Bioshock ;)
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Best answer yet :D

But here is a question despite all the advertising and such(Halo Mt. Dew FTW) alot of casual are all ready on board with the Wii(even though Im not entirly thrilled with it...thats for another thread though) Do you reallly think the casuals will swich? I mean I know pre-orders dont equal total sales but Im talking this holiday season. I mean there are alot of crazy cool games coming out this holiday season(for all systems)more so then when Halo 2 came out. Do you think 3 will have a huge effect in sales or will the Wii or even the PS3's line up over shadow it?

sparkypants

I don't think too many casuals will "switch" as you put it. I think it will attract the casuals who haven't gone into the next gen. The people who keep purchasing the PS2 version of Madden, as well as those who have lost interest in gaming or simply have gotten out of touch. There are literally millions of these. In a sense, it will help to expand the next-gen market, not feed from it.

Of course, by expanding, I don't think it'll go to Wii-levels or comparing it to the Wii's strategy, just saying that it will draw a lot of people who aren't next-gen customers or prospects.