A publisher want to remake your favorite game and asks you for advice..

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll A publisher want to remake your favorite game and asks you for advice.. (25 votes)

Just update resolution/FPS, the game is great as it is. 8%
Update graphics and also make some modern tweaks to the gameplay. 32%
Take a lot of liberty with the game but keep its core essence. 32%
Reimagine it for a new generation! 12%
Tell them to leave your favorite game alone! 16%

In my case, my favorite is quite old, and I’m not interested in them trying to copy what made the originals so great. So I say, let’s reimagine it for a new generation! Let the old be old and the new be new. Besides, modern gaming makes it much easier to do more things the originals couldn’t do.

How about you, SW? A publisher want to remake your favorite game. What type of remake should it be?

• 
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

Upgrade graphics/resolution/FPS/music, but leave the type of gameplay untouched. If it's a time based battle system, then damnit it, leave it like that!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

Well I have been thinking about Age of mythology a lot and if the remaster will come this year.

I just want this:

To look as good as this:

Same engine so I hope it's doable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k
@Chutebox said:

Upgrade graphics/resolution/FPS/music, but leave the type of gameplay untouched. If it's a time based battle system, then damnit it, leave it like that!

If they do touch the gameplay, they need to do it like Dead Space or RE 4 and actually improve the game.

Not just "herp derp make it more modern for modern audiences", if that is their goal just stay away from touching the gameplay.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I’d be fine with any of the four top options. As long as it turns out good I’ll be happy with the end result.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15986 Posts

Just updated graphics. I don't need anything else.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38721 Posts

Look at what Capcom did with RE4. That is what i want from remakes.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Chutebox said:

If they do touch the gameplay, they need to do it like Dead Space or RE 4 and actually improve the game.

Not just "herp derp make it more modern for modern audiences", if that is their goal just stay away from touching the gameplay.

Yuuup

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Deus Ex.

1. Use a good, stable engine that runs well and looks pretty good. Especially with a lot of dark colors. I'm thinking either Unreal Engine 5 would be good, or Arkane's Void Engine.
  2. Gameplay:
    • Keep it mostly RPG and about a third action, like the original. The first Deus Ex was in many ways a first-person RPG, not a first-person shooter with RPG elements (as so many games are these days). How you spent your points and leveled your character really dictated how you played, and it made replays of the game much more fun and different.
    • With that said, update certain aspects of gameplay to make them a bit more practical. You're a super-special agent, your pistol skills should be pretty good right off the bat. You shouldn't have to aim for 10 seconds while your crosshair shrinks.
  3. Keep the overall design similar, if not frame-for-frame, to the original. It was a great game, don't mess with it. Expand on certain areas, take a few creative liberties, but mostly keep it intact.
  4. I'd like to see some really good mo-cap used, especially for dialogue. Deus Ex had some really great writing and great character interactions, it'd be nice to really approach the uncanny valley and get some very realistic, hi-fidelity visuals in this area for immersion.
dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3047 Posts

They already did it with StarCraft, Diablo 2 and Halo CE. Still prefer the originals.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

If they're asking, then they don't have creative conviction. They'll pander to the biggest loudmouths. I'd rather they take the lead on believing what they think it should be, then deliver an experience worthy of the admiration of longtime fans and newcomers.

Avatar image for deactivated-64efdf49333c4
deactivated-64efdf49333c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#11 deactivated-64efdf49333c4
Member since 2004 • 21783 Posts

*shrug* Depends on the game. Some games are already great and just need a few upgrades. Others have great ideas but seriously missed the boat on execution and could use entire redesigns. It's not a one preference addresses all scenario.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I'd prefer it to be a "remaster", just make everything that's already there better. See REmake and Metroid Prime Remastered.

Been playing RE4R quite a bit, and yeah, it's pretty good.

..but the original is better. Just find the whole experience of RE4 a bit more boring in the Remake, and the changes didn't necessarily make it better. Just different.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@Litchie said:

I'd prefer it to be a "remaster", just make everything that's already there better. See REmake and Metroid Prime Remastered.

..but the original is better. Just find the whole experience of RE4 a bit more boring in the Remake, and the changes didn't necessarily make it better. Just different.

RE4 Remake shits all over original. its just nostalgia.

game mechanics are much better this time around.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Yeah, you need a soul to appreciate good shit.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: If it's just that with no more out of sync errors, it'll be a hit.

For a PDS remake, I'd want a graphical facelift that still stays true to the original unlike what happened with the PD1 remake. Gameplay wise, I'd give it better analog controls, but I'd keep the battle system exactly the same.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

A game that was outdated even for its time where you cant shoot while walk and cant support proper KB/M controls?

plus having terrible ashley AI. but but you all were toddlers when RE4 original released and it blow your minds.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38721 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

A game that was outdated even for its time where you cant shoot while walk and cant support proper KB/M controls?

plus having terrible ashley AI. but but you all were toddlers when RE4 original released and it blow your minds.

Your biggest criticism of the original is that you can't shoot while walking, but you're never taking into consideration that you're literally walking at 0.02km/h in the remake, so what kind of a difference does it even make? For its time, RE4 is of course better than RE4R is in 2023, but if we're just talking about what i'd prefer playing in 2023, there is no way that i'd go with the original. Less cringe, more realistic and more horror alone is enough for me to choose the remake over the original.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1230 Posts

I'd want 0 changes to story / voice acting.

I'd want soundtrack to stay the same or atleast have the option to use the original .

I'd only want minor tweaks to gameplay. Like with Metroid Prime... I would've liked them to add some additional HUD customization.

Graphics... case by case basis

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#20 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17798 Posts

"Update graphics and also make some modern tweaks to the gameplay."

That is about as far as remakes can go. Any more and it becomes a reboot and not a remake.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Your biggest criticism of the original is that you can't shoot while walking, but you're never taking into consideration that you're literally walking at 0.02km/h in the remake, so what kind of a difference does it even make? For its time, RE4 is of course better than RE4R is in 2023, but if we're just talking about what i'd prefer playing in 2023, there is no way that i'd go with the original. Less cringe, more realistic and more horror alone is enough for me to choose the remake over the original.

Of course movement is sluggish but still better than you have to stop while shoot.

still its no Alan wake.

also Remake is probably harder than original on hardcore.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie:

Loading Video...

This is proof that people like original or old game for the sake of being old.

Old krauser fight was QTE only. Remake fight is proper knife fight. but still "hurr original iz betterz". Not.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Depending on the game, options 1, 2 or 3 can work. 1 and 2 usually being best case to me.

Option 5 for sure with some games (or pubs). Like imagine how silly a Super Mario World remake would be. Let it be, go make a new game.

Option 4, don't see the point. If I really love the original game, not just some nostalgia shit, having them transform it into something different isn't appealing. I suppose maybe if it's something you were only into for the story?

It's like when I see someone say MGS2 and MGS3 should be remade like MGSV. Screw that. Those games are good shit as is. Definitely can make some sensible improvements to those titles without transforming them into something else.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'm pretty sure Ghosts is under obligation to have 99% bad takes.

There's wiggle room with the RE4 versions. Some things better, others worse. Some subjective, others just matter of fact. Both games well worth playing.

If you hit him with a detailed matter of fact response, he'll just ignore it and continue regurgitating the same nonsense. At this point I'm certain he's never played the original. Some of the "improvements" he pushes are demonstrably false.

Just the fact that the games are so similar, yet he considers one to be overrated trash and the other to be a masterpiece? Yeah, should tell you enough.

This is proof that people like original or old game for the sake of being old.

I prefer REmake1 to RE1 without giving it a second thought.

While I wish REmake2 kept all of RE2s content, REmake2 comes out on top for me.

Nope.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Where is the 'make new stuff you c#nts'

Option

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 5967 Posts

I'm mostly against remakes, so I would say just make a sequel.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

My favorite game already had a reboot. X-Com: Ufo Defense.

So I will just say, the game I would want to see remade the most. Ultima 4, I would keep the essence of the game, but change the rest, to suit Richard Garriott's tastes (not held back by tech limitations). Other than that. A questline for each virtue which explores the meaning of each. Honesty: Will reflect on various kinds of honesty honest as in telling the truth, but also in expressing intellectual honesty.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

Deus Ex.

1. Use a good, stable engine that runs well and looks pretty good. Especially with a lot of dark colors. I'm thinking either Unreal Engine 5 would be good, or Arkane's Void Engine.
  2. Gameplay:
    • Keep it mostly RPG and about a third action, like the original. The first Deus Ex was in many ways a first-person RPG, not a first-person shooter with RPG elements (as so many games are these days). How you spent your points and leveled your character really dictated how you played, and it made replays of the game much more fun and different.
    • With that said, update certain aspects of gameplay to make them a bit more practical. You're a super-special agent, your pistol skills should be pretty good right off the bat. You shouldn't have to aim for 10 seconds while your crosshair shrinks.
  3. Keep the overall design similar, if not frame-for-frame, to the original. It was a great game, don't mess with it. Expand on certain areas, take a few creative liberties, but mostly keep it intact.
  4. I'd like to see some really good mo-cap used, especially for dialogue. Deus Ex had some really great writing and great character interactions, it'd be nice to really approach the uncanny valley and get some very realistic, hi-fidelity visuals in this area for immersion.

Deus Ex and the Thief games (as well as every single looking glass and immersive sim game) need a remaster or remake so bad.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Do it like the Perfect Dark remaster. There’s no reason to butcher art design like with what Bluepoint does unless you give the option to toggle old graphics like Halo anniversary.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Oh Deus Ex is a flat out RPG definitely. I heard many complaints from Doom/Quake/Unreal fans back in the day that the shooting was rubbish....and they were right. It was rubbish. If you were going in expecting a FPS you were going to be disappointed.

As for me (Also Deus Ex: Best game ever).....Hard to say. I haven't played it in ages so i cant really say how well it holds up.

• I would like the see a big rethink for the start (Liberty Island). As introductions go, it's a poor one. That was the demo and it basically put me off the game. Reviews convinced me to give the full game a shot thankfully.
  • An overhaul of a lot of the levels. It was built for 20+ year old hardware and it just wouldn't hold up today. New levels and assets across the board. With modern tech they can really do more to capture the atmosphere of places like Hong Kong, Hells Kitchen and Paris.
    • Overhauled physics too. The game was very interactive back then (arguably more so than many games today) but the physics were janky as all hell. Build on that interactivity. Pool tables that work. A basket ball that behaves like a basket ball. benches you can sit on....or pick up and throw at someone. Player character physics going proper wonky if you get absolutely smashed drunk. Hell take a leaf out of BOTW too, using the physics of the environment to your advantage (either in a passive or aggressive manner).
  • Gameplay wise i'd probably lean more into the RPG side. It's more a character skill focused game rather than player skill focused.
    • Also lean into the choice/consequence thing more. The game started off strong with that but it kinda petered out around half way through.
    • Open up the options for both aggressive and passive play styles. The original was pretty good but it's also 20 years old.
  • Most important: Proper long coat physics. Essential. It should be very swooshy and interact properly with the world. I don't care if i have to get a dedicated separate GPU just for coat physics...just get it done :P.

Keep the overall story (it's great) and maybe just rerecord the soundtrack but don't do too much with it in terms of changes. Just a light adjustment there.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Started playing Dead Space Remake. I played the original back in 2008, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but it does seem more action oriented than I remember. Graphics look amazing. And I like that they added tweaks to the guns. So if memory serves me right, this is along the lines of option 2.