a programmer with EA in regards to the next gen xbox - on MS having no exclusives

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
"Xbox is avoiding exclusives for the first two years of their new console because they are WAY behind with the new console." "fact is we dont have any dev kits." "we don't even have extensive docs" "They are forced to do this strategy - just tell their first parties "well develop for current gen now and worry about next gen later" "We have had PS5 dev kits for months - Microsoft is so behind its absurd. We don't even have an ETA for dev kits from Microsoft"

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/eqa68v/info_from_a_friend_who_works_as_a_programmer_with/

Take with a grain of salt, but there were reports from unnamed devs way before this that xbox series X dev kits were way behind PS5 and then Phil Spence came out on Twitter , almost as a response to the reports, and told everyone he had been playing on the new xbox system and how great it was

Then Phil hypes up an exclusive Hellblade 2 cinematic getting everyone excited for Series X, then Matt Booty reports they're not going to have any Series X exclusives ready for up to 2 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@boxrekt said:
"Xbox is avoiding exclusives for the first two years of their new console because they are WAY behind with the new console." "fact is we dont have any dev kits." "we don't even have extensive docs" "They are forced to do this strategy - just tell their first parties "well develop for current gen now and worry about next gen later" "We have had PS5 dev kits for months - Microsoft is so behind its absurd. We don't even have an ETA for dev kits from Microsoft"

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/eqa68v/info_from_a_friend_who_works_as_a_programmer_with/

Take with a grain of salt, but there were reports from unnamed devs way before this that xbox series X dev kits were way behind PS5 and then Phil Spence came out on Twitter , almost as a response to the reports, and told everyone he had been playing on the new xbox system and how great it was

Then Phil hypes up an exclusive Hellblade 2 cinematic getting everyone excited for Series X, then Matt Booty reports they're not going to have any Series X exclusives ready for up to 2 years.

Ah the OP's got a friend who works for EA, yeah i'll take this with a grain of salt

PS...isn't your fight now with hermits cashangry, or even with Sony giving up its exclusives.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

Actually I can believe this. If MS got a better machine and dont want sony to get a hand on the machine they will do this. Is stupid conspiracy theory but I have seen enough corporate bullshit to believe it.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

Huge grain of salt...lmao.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

I don't know about the source, but if it IS true, it's probably late since Phil Spencer practically had to guilt-trip MS into giving Xbox another gen. That's when they gave him money for acquisitions and what not kind of last-minute... results of such we're not going to see for a while.

A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella... 'I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming,' Nadella told him... Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with 'the soul' of what Xbox was. 'Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in,'

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-head-phil-spencer-told-microsoft-go-all-gaming-when-brand-was-threatened

The result of all this seems to be Xbox in scramble mode while they're improvising a strategy (SIGH) yet again. In the meantime, they feel they have to release another more powerful console now just because Sony is, even if the games aren't ready. The "no generations" spiel seems to be a smokescreen for it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I have heard about this. A baffling oversight if true.

That said, I wouldn't overplay its significance. The generation hasn't started yet, and past consoles have had their own developer relationship issues and gone on to do okay. This will also be the first time Microsoft goes into a new generation with hardware based on the same architecture as the old one, which should mitigate the jump somewhat.

We'll have to wait and see how this actually pans out.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

I can assure that source is false. That's as much as I can say. :)

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

Well alrighty then. I’m certainly not going to lose any sleep over something like this.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Not shocked at all. It makes sense why they are behind and are pushing the message they won’t have any games for the first 2-3 years.

They straight up told the Xbox fanbase that the Xbox series x is only getting higher resolution Xbox one s games for the foreseeable future.

Xbox fanboys are really desperate to hype a potential $600 CAD box that shares all its games with a $150 Xbox one s and gamepass.

What a joke. Pathetic. New consoles are suppose to push new graphics. Not share with last gen games. Microsoft is so behind.

I don’t understand how they manage to screw up every gen with their horrible marketing and “strategies”.

This gamepass strategy is a massive failure.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Ah, ye olde "My dad works at Nintendo". Classic.

But...

@Pedro said:

I can assure that source is false. That's as much as I can say. :)

^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I don't know about the source, but if it IS true, it's probably late since Phil Spencer practically had to guilt-trip MS into giving Xbox another gen. That's when they gave him money for acquisitions and what not kind of last-minute... results of such we're not going to see for a while.

A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella... 'I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming,' Nadella told him... Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with 'the soul' of what Xbox was. 'Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in,'

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-head-phil-spencer-told-microsoft-go-all-gaming-when-brand-was-threatened

The result of all this seems to be Xbox in scramble mode while they're improvising a strategy (SIGH) yet again. In the meantime, they feel they have to release another more powerful console now just because Sony is, even if the games aren't ready. The "no generations" spiel seems to be a smokescreen for it.

Cherry picking at its finest, but why are you quoting only the things you think strengthens your argument, when in actual fact you have no argument.

I mean saying let's go all in instead of doing it half-arsed is a guilt trip to you lol.

And all this happened in 2014, and here we are in 2020 and is irrelevant to this, talk about reaching, and I see you're still stalking Phil, how many times do you have to be told he's taken, let him go Benji he will never be yours :(

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I seriously doubt that things are this far out of sorts unless MS seriously was considering hanging up the gloves, but they showed no signs and it was pretty clear they planned for life after the Xbox One.

I'll go along with the positioning they probably weren't entirely ready, and for what reason I don't really know. I think there is a much better chance that they didn't acquire the newer studios until too late because they truly believed they could make up ground next year simply by starting the generation off better. At some point in time they must have reconsidered, and yes perhaps it was a little too late at that time to push out all the new studios games that they acquired to offset the difference in exclusives offered by SONY.

This may have been their plan all along though... to get initial software sales at a higher clip and then to drop a larger wave of 1st party exclusives than SONY can deliver 2 years or more into the console generation which could possibly give them a large uptick in sales at that point in time.

However, I find it hard to believe they couldn't have scraped together 3 or 4 next gen games they could have released on next gen consoles only just as a show of good faith and to get a higher attachment rate to their new console at an earlier date.

I would imagine this is more of being honest with themselves and trying to distance themselves from SONY.. I would guess they thought that going head to head with SONY was a bad idea at this point in time, so in order to compete at a higher level they needed to rewind things a bit and rethink their business approach.

Nothing wrong with taking a different approach.. I actually think this may play into MS's hand stronger than I had originally thought. Although I'm not a fan of it doesn't mean I can't see the benefits of it and why they would take such a different path.

Hopefully things are overblown and it's for the most part business as usual. This doesn't mean that I don't like the fact that SONY is staying more traditional though, because I do very much so like that better. All I'm saying is that if this keeps MS in the game then I would rather that then them make a hasty exit. I'm still hoping that they both bring it and all my worries are put to rest, because SONY has me a little worried with recent events as well.

They have both been in business for a long time though, so I'm sure these are just unsubstantiated worries from someone that wants to see both of them come out of the gates strong and for Nintendo to keep doing what they do. The fact that both have given me things to worry about already though is cause for concern if for none else. It's time for them to start putting the cards on the table and lay those worries to rest, and I'm seriously hoping they do just that and more. Nothing wrong than not only shutting the door of question and then bolting the MF'er shut... lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Makes sense, Xbox has always sucked.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

I call bullshit. Xbox has been trounced this gen and there’s no way they’re stupid enough to come unprepared.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin

@i_p_daily said:

Cherry picking at its finest, but why are you quoting only the things you think strengthens your argument, when in actual fact you have no argument.

I mean saying let's go all in instead of doing it half-arsed is a guilt trip to you lol.

And all this happened in 2014, and here we are in 2020 and is irrelevant to this, talk about reaching, and I see you're still stalking Phil, how many times do you have to be told he's taken, let him go Benji he will never be yours :(

Who's the one cherrypicking? The Xbox brand was in jeopardy and it's not getting better under the watch of Uncle Phil. Whose main MO of keeping the Xbox brand relevant is firesales and giving away games for a dollar. Welp, now that we're at the point where Xbox no longer reveals any actual numbers and releases consoles with no new exclusives, we're still in white knight mode for this man, huh?

Don't you talk about Phil. You don't talk about MY favorite executive like that!
Don't you talk about Phil. You don't talk about MY favorite executive like that!

Welp, playing defense force for the current Xbox management has worked SO WELL in their favor this far. Keep slaving, Daily. One day, it may actually work.*

*It won't

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Oh look, another cow insecurity thread... yawn.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Why would cows be insecure exactly?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I’ll call BS, that is beyond idiotic if true. It would literally be playing catch up all next gen as well seeing as they’ve done that this entire gen.

But yeah, I’d put money on this being false.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

Nobody on original Reddit thread believed it, but bring it here...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Who's the one cherrypicking? The Xbox brand was in jeopardy and it's not getting better under the watch of Uncle Phil. Whose main MO of keeping the Xbox brand relevant is firesales and giving away games for a dollar. Welp, now that we're at the point where Xbox no longer reveals any actual numbers and releases consoles with no new exclusives, we're still in white knight mode for this man, huh?

Welp, playing defense force for the current Xbox management has worked SO WELL in their favor this far. Keep slaving, Daily. One day, it may actually work.*

*It won't

Yeah he's your favourite exec that's for sure, at this point I imagine you have Phil Spencer curtains, socks, pillow case, sheets and worse of all undies.

You quoted something that happened almost 5yrs ago and tried to spin it into something relevant and got called out on your BS.

With you its just any old excuse to mention Phil Spencer. I'm sick of hearing about Phil Spencer anything, and I think everyone else is sick of reading about him.

Here's a pic with his nipples sticking out, now go rub one out already

PS...Don't forget to wash your hands you filthy cow lol.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@davillain- said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Booty told you no Series X exclusives for up to 2 years so I'm not sure what you mean by "when I see it." lol it's up to 2 years!

You're NOT going to see anything next gen from Series X unless a 3rd party decides to split from current gen within that time AND put their title on MS's new system.

The reason why I say "and" as if a 3rd party might not want to include Series X is because we don't really know if MS would try to mandate that if a 3rd party makes a game for Series X, they also has to include MS's family of systems (I.E. last gen Xbox one) or not.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

OP is back for more ownage, nice

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Hmm. The source is pretty weak. While I could believe MS' attitude about build it for current gen now and worry about next gen later, I doubt that it's because they're behind on delivering dev kits. To EA of all companies.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator

@boxrekt: Except I don't give a damn about XSX and everyone here knows it. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, so I have no clue what Booty says about XSX. All I care about is MS bringing all of their games on PC but however, I will say I wish MS the best of luck with XSX launch day :)

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

So TC made a thread based on a reddit rumor that gives no solid source, has 0 upvotes, and whose comments pretty much all call it bullshit...

real convincing

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Ahh boxrekt how I have missed you being owned in every thread you create, great to have the clown of system active again:)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Oh God, the desperation is palpable. We're linking obscure Reddit posts now?

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin

@i_p_daily said:

Yeah he's your favourite exec that's for sure, at this point I imagine you have Phil Spencer curtains, socks, pillow case, sheets and worse of all undies.

You quoted something that happened almost 5yrs ago and tried to spin it into something relevant and got called out on your BS.

With you its just any old excuse to mention Phil Spencer. I'm sick of hearing about Phil Spencer anything, and I think everyone else is sick of reading about him.

Here's a pic with his nipples sticking out, now go rub one out already

PS...Don't forget to wash your hands you filthy cow lol.

WOW, that's graphic, and pretty suspect. I finally realize that your defensiveness of Phil Spencer comes from a place of unrequited love. It's quite weird. The fact that you have a pic of that nature readily available says a lot. I bet your Twitter conversations are very one-sided.

Anyway, Phil blubbering to Satya Nadella trying to justify his position and division is relevant, because it shows Xbox is always in the danger zone as long as he's present. Satya didn't give him a blank check all at once. The Minecraft deal was done to make Xbox software sales look better on paper for investors at the time.

The current acquisitions didn't come 'til later. Probably well after Phil got on his knees begged and cried not to sell the division to Tencent. That's as good a reason as any that you're not getting any next gen exclusives for the thing for two damn whole years. "Just give me MORE money, Mr. Sadella! I can beat them!", he probably wailed as he stumbled in from the last failure.

Phil's like an inept lackey to a supervillain who keeps wondering to himself why he hasn't opened the trap door to dispose of this goon already.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Lol, clearly fake. Why is this even allowed to stay up?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Makes sense, Xbox has always sucked.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator

@fedor said:

Lol, clearly fake. Why is this even allowed to stay up?

I stop going to Reddit several years ago I didn't bother visiting that fake link TC has put up until now. Reddit is as worst posting any rumors as VGchartz is to inaccurate sales. Yeah, this thread isn't getting nowhere and not much to discuss at this point, especially from Reddit.

This thread is getting locked for obvious reasons.