Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

If you are unfortunate enough to have a PS5 that is a tad louder and it is not the fan, fear not. There is a solution. A few hundreds steps and the noise will disappear.😉

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Who the **** is going to do that? Everyone is still under warranty. Good thing mine is quiet. I wouldn't even go through that trouble for my CPAP machine, which has been making noises now, and I need that to breathe at night.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pedro

@SOedipus: Is coil whine covered under warranty?

I don't expect any normal person to attempt what he is doing especially with the scarcity.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SOedipus

@Pedro said:

I don't expect any normal person to attempt what he is doing especially with the scarcity.

Not sure. I would think that's bad and warrants a check-up. Unintended noises in electronics can be a good indicator that something's not right with the machine. Unless it is an intended sound and I'm missing out!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38714 Posts

Only happened once, but about a week ago, my ps5 sounded like a damn tractor for a few minutes, that after about a 4h play session. Was kinda worried my shit is breaking.

Also, i've seen MS made sure to apply some goo-like stuff in the cpu to lower/remove the coil whine. Sony didn't do shit. Really poorly made/designed system compared to the X and S.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Depends on the retailer for exchange, I wouldn't send it to Sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@SOedipus said:
@Pedro said:

Not sure. I would think that's bad and warrants a check-up. Unintended noises in electronics can be a good indicator that something's not right with the machine. Unless it is an intended sound and I'm missing out!

Coil whine usually comes from cheap capacitors I believe.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Since it looks like a modem I would just assume unplug it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in, no?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@Pedro said:

Coil whine typically happens in all electronics. It just so happens that when you get higher powered components that draw more wattage, it can be much worse. Technically, this isn't unintended; however, I think cheap power supplies do tend to cause this problem more than anything else.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@Pedro: fake news, ps5 is perfect and produces no noise.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@SOedipus said:
@Pedro said:

Coil whine typically happens in all electronics. It just so happens that when you get higher powered components that draw more wattage, it can be much worse. Technically, this isn't unintended; however, I think cheap power supplies do tend to cause this problem more than anything else.

Yeah, I was just reading up a little bit about that. I never experienced it myself. I have an RTX 2080 and before that an R9 290. Never heard that.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silentchief  Online
Member since 2021 • 6860 Posts

I Haven't had this problem fourtiantly.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Pedro: Is there a solution to fix the cows whining though 🤣🤣🤣

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Since it looks like a modem I would just assume unplug it wait 30 seconds and plug it back in, no?

😁

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@i_p_daily said:

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

I was wondering that same thing. Most the whining I hear related to the PS5 is the people who bought them. Tell them TLOU2 is nothing but woke hot garbage and grab your ear plugs.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Eoten
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@SOedipus said:
@Pedro said:

Yeah, it's not so much a fact that the PS5 has a built in power supply, but that the electronics components that make up the power supply are rather low quality. Replacing the capacitors took care of the vast majority of the issue, just by using slightly higher quality parts. Due to this, I anticipate power supply failure to be a common failure of the PS5.

Honestly, if people knew just how bad a lot of the parts used in consoles and their controllers were, they'd cringe. The original Xbox actually used a low quality capacitor to work as a short-term clock battery that after about 10 years leaks and erodes the motherboards to the point that some Xbox's have caught on fire when people go back to play them. PS2 optical drives were complete junk, Xbox 360 RROD was a massive problem, I personally went through 3 consoles over the span of that generation.

This realization was actually a big part of the reason I switched to PC in 2013. I realized I'd have to buy multiple consoles over any given generation and the total costs of that, plus online services would cost double or more of what I could build a gaming PC for.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

ugly,weak and noisy

ps just cant catch a break

hah

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Pedro is there a solution to my original Xbox Thompson Drive eating my fable 1 disc and then scratching and destroying my property and then having to call and wait on hold forever and wait for them to ship a box so I can pack it all up and send it to Seattle Washington for months for repair without a replacement or anything else to game on? Meanwhile my fable game disc doesn't work anymore cause of what the drive did to it.

Microsoft hardware is just friggin wonderful with bright rainbows and sunshine am I right?

Whats my solution there. Don't ever talk about some stupid coil whine ever to me again.

I never had any issues with any of my nintendo products and I own the original NES and thats old as hell same with all my sony stuff every friggin gen i have an issue with xbox stuff and im sick of it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eoten

@ProtossRushX said:

Pedro is there a solution to my original Xbox Thompson Drive eating my fable 1 disc and then scratching and destroying my property and then having to call and wait on hold forever and wait for them to ship a box so I can pack it all up and send it to Seattle Washington for months for repair without a replacement or anything else to game on? Meanwhile my fable game disc doesn't work anymore cause of what the drive did to it.

Microsoft hardware is just friggin wonderful with bright rainbows and sunshine am I right?

Whats my solution there. Don't ever talk about some stupid coil whine ever to me again.

I never had any issues with any of my nintendo products and I own the original NES and thats old as hell same with all my sony stuff every friggin gen i have an issue with xbox stuff and im sick of it.

The optical drive in my OG Xbox don't even read disks anymore. Luckily I softmodded it like 15 years ago and have even done a BIOS flash that now lets me run the system without the optical drive present. Replace the internal HDD with an SSD, remove the DVD drive, and just go without. Store your OG games digitally.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

Coil whine? Yall just making stuff up now? Mine is dead quite.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Phony, the one and only strikes again.

A break can't even be bought these dayzz. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

$500, ugly, loud, no games, 9.2 tflops, runs hot.. I can't wait to see one of these abominations, not in my house though.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Yay more fake rage keep it up kid

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

My PS5 has coil whine and, it's only noticeable if you're right on top of the thing or, the room is deadly silent.

The disk drive booting up is significantly louder than the coil whine.

But, neither are anywhere near the same noise level as the PS4 Pro.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

didnt had any issues with noise. but i havent played anything that requires disc yet. it may change once my copy of demons souls arrive.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

This the best you can do?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Coil whine would annoy me to no end. I’d probably just return my system and try to get a new one that was quiet.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@uitravioience: Did you even watch the video? You skipped the side by side comparison between the ps5 and xsx components and which were enclosed in silicone?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

News to me. Whenever I can find a PS5 in stock and buy one, I'll keep and ear out. Assuming I don't have headphones on.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

seems simple enough. bit of disassembly, bit of soldering, bit of hacking it in.....what could go wrong?

i would be surprised if any shops or sony would RMA over coil while though. its not a symptom of a fault, just an annoying characteristic of electronics and bad luck.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

That's why I always insolate my stuff.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@jcrame10 said:

This the best you can do?

Nope! But I got you to respond. 😎

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@uitravioience said:

"dead quite"????

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@uitravioience said:

there's a huge thread about in era, guess they all making stuff up too, gz on winning the lottery tho

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

@howmakewood: never heard of it before. My ps5 is silent. Dont know what else to tell you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Easy solution, pack these in with every BS Jive sold.

No doubt cows would gladly pay extra. lol :P

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

LOL wtf?! Coil whine?! Sony and all these unique hardware malfunctions.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I don't think the average joe wouldn't care about coil whine and as long as PS5 plays games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@eoten said:
@ProtossRushX said:

The optical drive in my OG Xbox don't even read disks anymore. Luckily I softmodded it like 15 years ago and have even done a BIOS flash that now lets me run the system without the optical drive present. Replace the internal HDD with an SSD, remove the DVD drive, and just go without. Store your OG games digitally.

Yeah, the Original Xbox is shocking. While you can still use the PSTwo and Gamecube, you need to do some maintenance before you use the Xbox.

I took mine out of my cupboard. The disc drive didn't work, I had to use a pair of tweezers to remove the rubber band wash it and put it back in. It now opens and closes again. The thermal paste on the CPU/GPU was so old it's completely dried. I had to buy some Acetone Household Solvent to clean it off, normal alcohol you use on a CPU wouldn't work. Replaced it with some MX5.

One of the capacitors was busted on the motherboard, but it still works. I think this effects it's ability to keep time when the power is cut off at the mains. So apart from having to keep it plugged in to keep time, it functions properly now.

The original Xbox kind of emphasise the issue with consoles previously. They can sound powerful, but all the budget goes into the main components, and the surrounding components are poor quality. On the PC you can choose to have everything high quality, such as fans, case, thermal paste, heatsinks, all the small things.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

Knock on wood but I have never heard my PS5 make a sound. Maybe I'm just lucky... I never had a problem with and of my PS4's being loud either although my kids' PS4 is kind of loud at times.