A new way of upgrading/changing the switch?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by N64DD (8178 posts) -

This is all hypothetical but interesting idea I had earlier. It may get shot down but it was just a thought.

Nintendo if they wanted to, they don't have to upgrade the switch to make it more powerful. They could actually make docks that have more processing power in it to help power the switch on the TV, then when in handheld mode downgrade the graphics/resolution.

That way you don't have to buy a whole new system, just the dock.

I'm being very vague about this but I think you guys get the gist of it, what do you say SW?

#2 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17331 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing a single mid-gen upgrade to the dock. Not sure if I'd get it myself, but it wouldn't be a bad thing. People seem to love what the Switch is capable of as a portable device, it's the Switch as a console that comes off as laughable.

I don't see it happening tbh, but I don't oppose it either.

#3 Posted by N64DD (8178 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a single mid-gen upgrade to the dock. Not sure if I'd get it myself, but it wouldn't be a bad thing. People seem to love what the Switch is capable of as a portable device, it's the Switch as a console that comes off as laughable.

I don't see it happening tbh, but I don't oppose it either.

I think Nintendo likes their revisions too much. This is a different type of "console" though. I think it'd be an interesting approach.

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#4 Posted by darkspineslayer (22396 posts) -

This isn't exactly a new thought, but I think it would be cool. Don't see it happening, but I like the idea.

#5 Edited by charizard1605 (82661 posts) -

They already patented this idea

#6 Posted by N64DD (8178 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

This isn't exactly a new thought, but I think it would be cool. Don't see it happening, but I like the idea.

Do you think they're going to treat it like the 3ds? Special edition themed ones, or more like a traditional console? One or two themed versions, but different skus for memory and such?

It's in a weird spot in Nintendos usual MO.

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#7 Posted by darkspineslayer (22396 posts) -

@n64dd: tbh I don't see straight hardware editions as much as maybe special edition Joycons. They can more easily produce special joy cons and offer those or switch them onto the Tablets they're already producing before offering it in a bundle.

#8 Posted by N64DD (8178 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

@n64dd: tbh I don't see straight hardware editions as much as maybe special edition Joycons. They can more easily produce special joy cons and offer those or switch them onto the Tablets they're already producing before offering it in a bundle.

Yeah, I know they'll be doing that for sure. There is already a petition for Atomic Purple ones.