A little insight on the Ratchet and Clank review from Jeff G. himself.

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freefalling255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 freefalling255
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

That a lot of people were wrong? I'm just kidding. Does it really matter? I mean seriously... Games are about having fun not having fun.

Darrius_Cole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Darrius_Cole
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts

If that garbage was true then they would have gave Halo a 7.5...it was nether groundbreaking nor special. Non-Seq

I was going to say that.

If mario galaxy gets a 7.5, the hellmouth will open below gamespot and swallow them whole. rashonmon

I was going to say that, too.

Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts

too bad on a lot of school scales, a 7.5 would be a C-, and even on the 90/80 scale, it will still be a normal C. Poor old Jeff must not have been too bright in his younger days.mtradr43

Agreed. The idiots here at Gamespot are the only ones that can go on about how good a game is and then give it a low numerical score. A 7 is bad, pure and plain.... on a scale of 1 to 10 you wouldn't tell your girl to her face that she was only a 7.5... it's simply nothing to brag about. And for them to rate games that ARE something to brag about with such low scores just reeks of bias. Especially when they carry SUCH a minority opinion when compared to the abundance of reviews available elsewhere.

Furthermore, R&C:TOD is doubtful to carry its appeal outside of its loyal fanbase and that is the reason for the score??? Then what the hell is the explanation behind Halo's high score??? A great game is a great game, period. The system here has been busted for a while but now it's really starting to look pretty ridiculous.

Wolfgang187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Wolfgang187
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
It doesn't matter that they "feel" a 7.5 means a game is very good. The VAST MAJORITY of anyone reading the site will see ANYTHING in the 7's as average. Period. This isn't going to change and GS should adjust their reviews to match the gaming public at large. That or they could start hiring reviewers that actually enjoy variety in a game.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"]

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]I get what Jeff is saying, but 7.5? just because it tries out a few new things come on!Bgrngod

You really do need to read the review. They said a lot more negative about it then just trying a few new things.

I really did read the review and all I see is it has a "Identity crises because it tries too many new things" and it's too easy...when the hell have games like that been hard anyways.

Well try reading the review again because on top of what you already pointed out, whichknocks down the score enough as it is,thereare plenty of other points:

1) There's some good humor in it, but the story isn't very interesting

2) and the ending is a letdown

3) Ratchet & Clank's audio is solid but mostly unremarkable.

4) (weapons) ..you'll find that there are a handful that work extremely well (and some that are useless)

Just because you choose to ignore them does not mean they are not there.

All of which is BS. Have you played the game for yourself??? The only thing that was stated which is true is that the game is easy... but that in no way detracts from the fun. The game is a blast to play from beginning to end. The story is entertaining as always and the production values are all top notch. I didn't buy until the GS bias thing UNTIL this review... it's just strange. They just seem to be losing credibility to me.

Chupakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Chupakun
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I don't have too much of an issue with scores anyway. My complaint is the actual review itself. It's got to be one of the blandest, least justified and most derivative pieces of work I've seen from GameSpot. I normally expect reviews, and for that matter, writing of higher quality from this site.

And no, I don't endorse the 10/10 reviews from other sites as well. I know that ToD lies snugly within a the comfort of familiar, yet perfectly enjoyable mechanics, *welcome* variety and luscious visuals. And yes, it's more of the same. But aren't most sequels? That includes Halo 3 - and yes, I went there. You want a score for Ratchet PS3? Try Fun/10. Happy?

dagast2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 dagast2
Member since 2006 • 102 Posts
This whole thing has been such a train wreck from the start, I was pretty sure I'd seen it all though. But for excuses to be made, and for me to be told that Halo 3 got a 9.5 which means even though I'm not into the series or FPS genre it's just so gosh darn good that I shouldn't miss it, but R&C is a 7.5 which means that since I'm not a fan of the genre or the series I should probably skip it, I'm just perplexed.

It's sad, I don't really like IGN for content, but I no longer feel like the reviews at gamespot represent my own feelings on a game. I think in alot of ways the "Game Review" is a dead concept in the high hype and profile gaming world of today, especially with demos being available for many big hits titles.

So, to sum up, no thanks gamespot, I'll just play the demo instead and not listen to the site that thinks my life is not complete without Tony Hawks Pro Skater and Halo 3.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts

After 33 reviews only 8 have been under a 9.0 score, and only 1 has been under a 8.0 score ;)

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I think there was another oddball review from some reviewing no one knows...or at least me.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

It makes no sense that Jeff would say that scores are highly important because people often don't read the review and just look at the score, and then try to rationalize R&C getting a 7.5 by saying that it might only appeal to a certain audience.

To use the Review of the Moment as an example, when we give Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction a 7.5, we're not saying it's "average" or something. This isn't school, and a 7.5 doesn't translate to a C+. We're effectively saying that fans of these sorts of action platformers, and to an even greater extent, fans of the Ratchet series, will probably have a blast. But we're also saying that its appeal might not extendso far beyond that group due to issues mentioned in the review text.

Some people have all the time in the world to research a game and devour every single piece of content we produce. Others don't. Some people need that shortcut, and a score provides that quick check for some people that should either let them know that they probably don't need to know much more about a game or that they need to read more before making a purchasing decision.

By giving it a 7.5/10, a score most people would inherently attach to the word "average", you are automatically driving away most of those people you just talked about who "just look at the score". Yes, Jeff, this isn't school and a 7.5 may not be a C+ by Gamespot standards, but those people you talked about who need the "quick check" probably also didn't bother to read your review guidelines. The very people he's talking about here, that "need that shortcut" and don't have "all the time in the world to research a game", will simply look at the score of 7.5 and say "forget it" and move on. Completely defeats the purpose.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#111 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

You're looking at it the wrong way.

The score isn't a simple indicator of how wide the appeal of the game is. It's really an indicator of quality.

Take Ratchet and Clank's 7.5. If you are a Ratchet and Clank fan, you should definitely pick up the game. But if you only kind of like Ratchet and Clank, it might not be worth your time. It isn't so good that it's an unmissable experience. It's great for big fans of the genre who need their platforming fix, but not quite as good for people who don't love platformers, but only like them. And if you don't like platformers at all, this game certainly won't change your mind.

A game like Wii Sports has a wide appeal, but is it a really great game? Is it an experience that cannot be missed, a game that will provide an unparalleled amount of fun for you? No, it isn't. It's alright, and anyone can play it, but it's pretty shallow, and gets boring fast unless you have other people over.

What Jeff is saying about that score is that people who loved earlier Ratchet and Clank games will like this one, but those who aren't automatically compelled to pick up Tools of Destruction by virtue of its name alone might not like it quite as much. While something like Halo 3 is good enough (according to the review) that anyone who doesn't despise FPS games should get the game, because it provides an experience of a higher quality than you can find in most games.

Datheron

Nope, then you're putting too much value into production values and ensuring "big name" games are the only ones who deserve high scores. Plus, what makes a game an "unmissable experience" if not for all the other factors - replayability, innovation, gameplay refinement, etc.?

Doesn't explain why they gave something like Katamari Damacy an 8.7 (!).

When did I say anything about production values? I'm talking about overall quality.

Katamari Damacy doesn't have the fanciest graphics, but it delivers a fun, accessible, and wholly unique game that is very enjoyable, though not perfect. The Gamespot score reflects that. The game has some shortcomings, but it is a worthwhile purchase for most people.

As you said, an unmissable experience includes all the factors, not just graphics or sound design. I don't disagree with you.

beavisofcod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 beavisofcod2
Member since 2007 • 445 Posts
Jeff is talking about the subjective part of reviews, how the review is a guide and how the number is really just that, a number, it's a guide rather than a medal... the halo 3 score doesn't mean it trumpets over all other games, because scores are only competitive to the readers, more specifically to us on these forums (out in the real world, a lot of people just watch trailers/ads and buy from there kinda like movies), rather the halo 3 score means that among the current FPS genre among the current FPS games, given that it's a part of an evolving franchise (so you have a history to build upon and be judged by whether you improve or suck), and given what will appeal to people who like to play FPS's, it is a very recommended purchase but by no means does that mean it's a god

i haven't met a single person in real life who was remotely as excited about it as they were the previous 2 halo games, but most of the time they weren't big into the multiplayer anyhow (or just simply, had other priorities in life), so a lot of people didn't like the single player, it was a let-down, etc. so here comes the subjective part, that is: given the current view of what makes a FPS great, and given that Halo 3 was both a strong-man franchise entry and improved upon and aimed at the current core audience of FPS games: online multiplayer, it still scored high because they felt a lot of people would like it given what it is

if Bioshock hadn't been a system shock entry and with such great production value, it would've flopped big time, simply because there's a lot of FPS games out now and you have to stick out, especially if you don't have multiplayer

with this in mind, i can see the R&C score, tho it should've maybe gotten an 8.0 (at the least) because despite whatever problems it has i haven't had a single "meh" moment in the game thus far, and i'm already almost done beating challenge mode, haven't touched any of my other games, if you like platformers this game is a MUST

it's the reason why an RPG might have 100x more gametime hours than an FPS, but score 2x lower, or why a platformer may have much more interesting levels than a racing game, but score 2x lower, or etc. because they're all different games

now wait until SMG or Uncharted to come out and THEN you've got a real comparison as to whether R&C got ripped off (of course, then you've got Aaron to deal with, he may never review another platform game again, and then the R&C score will be like the grassy knoll of scores)
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#113 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
I consider on most other sites 9 to be the standard score for a majority of high-profile games, which really pisses me off since I can't really tell if I should buy the game based on that or not. If I read the review it sounds like a fanboy wrote it most the time and I end up buying a game I never wanted in the first place. It aslo takes alot of balls for a reviewer to score a game lower than expected, cause you can always justify scoring something higher, and the game being forgotten over time, but it seems people always remember you under appreciating a classic.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
[QUOTE="Jynxzor"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"]

[QUOTE="Jynxzor"]I get what Jeff is saying, but 7.5? just because it tries out a few new things come on!Bgrngod

You really do need to read the review. They said a lot more negative about it then just trying a few new things.

I really did read the review and all I see is it has a "Identity crises because it tries too many new things" and it's too easy...when the hell have games like that been hard anyways.

Well try reading the review again because on top of what you already pointed out, whichknocks down the score enough as it is,thereare plenty of other points:

4) (weapons) ..you'll find that there are a handful that work extremely well (and some that are useless)

They probably are using optical out for the audio :lol:

Datheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Datheron
Member since 2004 • 266 Posts
When did I say anything about production values? I'm talking about overall quality.

Katamari Damacy doesn't have the fanciest graphics, but it delivers a fun, accessible, and wholly unique game that is very enjoyable, though not perfect. The Gamespot score reflects that. The game has some shortcomings, but it is a worthwhile purchase for most people.

As you said, an unmissable experience includes all the factors, not just graphics or sound design. I don't disagree with you.sonicmj1

It sounded very much like you were concerned about the production values of the games - the bashing of Wii Sports being "simple" and "shallow" while Halo 3 is "deep" and "has wide appeal". Look at what you wrote above:

______ doesn't have the fanciest graphics, but it delivers a fun, accessible, and wholly unique game that is very enjoyable, though not perfect. The Gamespot score reflects that. The game has some shortcomings, but it is a worthwhile purchase for most people.

That describes Wii Sports and without the "fanciest graphics" part would also describe R&C; all you did was replace one subjective unsubstantiated opinion with more subjective unsubstantiated opinions, and along the way arbitarily determined that uniqueness + accessibility + "fun" (whatever that means) is worthy of a high score.

xtcdukes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 xtcdukes
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts
What strikes me as funny is the fact that no one seems to want to read or write reviews for entertainment as well as something that can be informative. That's what we do. So I guess we'll just "prattle on" and be happy that we enjoy what we do for ourselves not because we think we must live up to some "I'm doing you all a service by writing this review" attitude.
-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 -Serpahim-
Member since 2007 • 1627 Posts

Bgrngod

for a second there i thought u were talking about Halo 2.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#118 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]When did I say anything about production values? I'm talking about overall quality.

As you said, an unmissable experience includes all the factors, not just graphics or sound design. I don't disagree with you.Datheron

It sounded very much like you were concerned about the production values of the games - the bashing of Wii Sports being "simple" and "shallow" while Halo 3 is "deep" and "has wide appeal". Look at what you wrote above:

______ doesn't have the fanciest graphics, but it delivers a fun, accessible, and wholly unique game that is very enjoyable, though not perfect. The Gamespot score reflects that. The game has some shortcomings, but it is a worthwhile purchase for most people.

That describes Wii Sports and without the "fanciest graphics" part would also describe R&C; all you did was replace one subjective unsubstantiated opinion with more subjective unsubstantiated opinions, and along the way arbitarily determined that uniqueness + accessibility + "fun" (whatever that means) is worthy of a high score.

Unsubstantiated? What do you want me to do, write my own review of why Katamari Damacy deserves an 8.7?

Seriously, what do you expect? I'm kinda confused here. All I can do is give a basic summary of a game, and I can't spend time citing specific examples from the game to prove my point, because that isn't the purpose of my post. I'm just throwing out a summation that hopefully explains the differences between certain scores. If you want to look at a review, you're on a site that's chock-full of them.

I spoke in generalities, but that doesn't mean that you should take them out of context. I'm only attempting to give a general sense of what each score means. If Wii Sports did not score as high as Katamari Damacy, that could mean that the summary I gave of Katamari actually doesn't fit Wii Sports. Perhaps Wii sports has more flaws that it cannot be written off as 'some shortcomings'.

If you want more information on how the review system works, why don't you look at the Gamespot Review Guidelines, which sum up each score? Their generalities are more accurate than my hastily-crafted ones.

jmd749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 jmd749
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
i don't know who the hell jeff is trying to fool with all the **** he's talking about 7.5 not being average. if R&C was on the 360 i bet he would give it at least a 9.5, what a biased idiot.
dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#120 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

i don't know who the hell jeff is trying to fool with all the **** he's talking about 7.5 not being average. if R&C was on the 360 i bet he would give it at least a 9.5, what a biased idiot.jmd749

I guess I have to say this again: a 7,5 is not a C/C-/C+ in my book. A 7,5 is solid...period. Especially in higher education. Maybe the score will be indeed more average if the school or in this case reviewer only gives high marks or the standards are really low, but with Mario Kart 64 getting a 6,5 back in its days and a bunch of other great games getting between the 7.0 and 8.0 I wouldn't call it average...

Maybe I would give it a much higher score (but I haven't played it), just like you guys seem to do.. But nonetheless a score between 7.0 and 8.0 wouldn't stop any person from buying that game if they were interested. Maybe it would only make someone who's looking for PS3 games and who doesn't know R&C read the review, scratch his head and then decide if he's gonna make the purchase.. (But then there aren't that many similar games on PS3... so in combination with the score I think a lot would just buy it rightaway) And that's just his point. You could always go for a 2nd opinion to IGN..

razzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 razzy1
Member since 2003 • 1989 Posts
Sounds like Gamespot is in damage control mode. Why else would they fell it was necessary to justify the review? They've angered many with their Ratchet & Clank review and must have lost quite a few premium account subscribers.
covhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 covhunter
Member since 2004 • 946 Posts

I find it amusing that people are still complaining about this. It's been what now? 2 weeks? Get over it just like the sheep got over the TP review. Ifthe gamewas average then they would've given it a 5.0-6.0 score, but they didn't they gave it 7.5 which translates to 75% which is by no means a bad score. Infact if you read the little comment underneath the offending yellow decimal number you'll see that it indeed states "Good".

But feel free to carry on with your eternal whinging. It's giving me a good laugh while I wait for my copy of Hellgate to be delivered.

Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts

"To use the Review of the Moment as an example, when we give Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction a 7.5, we're not saying it's "average" or something. This isn't school, and a 7.5 doesn't translate to a C+. We're effectively saying that fans of these sorts of action platformers, and to an even greater extent, fans of the Ratchet series, will probably have a blast. But we're also saying that its appeal might not extendso far beyond that group due to issues mentioned in the review text."

if he honestly believed that Halo 3 would not have got a 9.5

alot of people hate FPS

and saying the people that review the games are into that type of game is crock

the guy was always reviewing sports games if he said pro evo or fifa sucked fair enough, but i think he was out of his depth with R&C

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="Firelore29"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

So if I understand his explanation correctly...R&C got a 7.5 because it won't appeal to people who already don't like R&C? Because people who only play FPS may not like it?

That's just stupid. I'm sorry.

ZIMdoom

And yet Mario Party 8 got a 6.5. I think my dog can even have fun with that game.

BUt according to the explanation, fun has nothing to do with it. Unless a game is able to bring in people who would normally not like that game, it gets a low score.

So it makes no difference how much fun Mario Party 8 may be...it won't appeal to people who play FPS so it gets a low score.

Basically, you don't even need to play ANY game according to this new review policy. Just ask yourself, would this game appeal to FPS addicts and/or lemmings? If no...give the game a low score.Controls, fun factor, game length, graphics, etc...all those are pretty much irrelevant according to this explanation.

So why doesn't the Wii get more love?

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#125 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

So why doesn't the Wii get more love?

Hexagon_777

I think he means, specific to the platform.

GTAtte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 GTAtte
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

IDC care about GS as a review site, but 7.5 is too low for R&C.

Eventhough the game wouldn't bring that much new to the genre or the series, but excutes everything that the genre or the series stand for perfectly should give at high-end scores. Not only the score, but also the review consentrates on finding faults that aren't really faults just to put the score down.It just gives the feeling that the review is biased just in mind to get more viewers for the site.

And talking about a game that got a good score without bringing anything new to the genre or the series and just excuted everything well and got a praising preview without noting the easy to spot faults like low lenght and so, The game was of course one notable Xbox360 FPS...

I'm not saying that GS would be biased towards one console or that there were moneyhats involved in the score, but it seems bit like it.The reviews are of course the reviewers own opinion and shouldn't be trusted blindly. But it's certainly strange that one hyped game gets so clearly lower score than the avarage. This has happened through the years in GS starting from Metal Gear Solid and Shenmue and to Metroid Prime 3 and TP.

Especially the last names two games, have had the same "problems" in the reviews. Really good game but doesn't bring new stuff to the series, just uses what is known of the series in perfect fashion, and being the (arguably) best part in the series. It is like the reviewer just looks the small negative sides and concentrates on them with out looking at the big picture. Especially if this is just so that few games gets reviewed differently because the large hype/moneyhats is unfair.

My two cents.

Immortal_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Immortal_Evil
Member since 2007 • 2004 Posts
good ole jeff
R0GUY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 R0GUY
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Sounds like Gamespot is in damage control mode. Why else would they fell it was necessary to justify the review? They've angered many with their Ratchet & Clank review and must have lost quite a few premium account subscribers. razzy1

Don't be an idiot, i'll be perfectly honest and say that i havn't played R&C, but that kind of reasoning is **** I'm sure evil gamespot angered many Lair or Big Rigs fans too, so what? Should they give those games a more deserving 10/10 to please the braindead/useless fanboys, while leading "casual" GS readers into throwing money down the sink? Just. Stop. Posting. Now.

Game scoring also freaking depends on how the other games of a particular genre fare, and the context of the review.

What FPS outclasses "9.5" halo 3 this console generation? well? Bioshock perhaps, but the rpg/survival horror/ heavy focus on singleplayer makes it quite different.

What console multiplayer game outclasses halo 3? None. Thank you.

How do you justify 6 hour long 60$ games after the orange box? Hello are you still reading?

"And talking about a game that got a good score without bringing anything new to the genre or the series(1) and just excuted everything well(2) and got a praising preview without noting the easy to spot faults like low lenght(3) and so, The game was of course one notable Xbox360 FPS..."

(1) Forge, Theater, Online coop. R&C has maybe a few new minigames? Will they last you months? will you play them again and again? Have they raised the bar and expectations for all action platformers to come?

(2)Games should lose points for executing everything well now?

(3) People have been playing halo 2 for years... And they most likely will play halo 3 for years aswell... what do you mean by low length?

I could go on and on with petty comments like this too, such as why didnt halo 3 get a 10/10 when Zelda OOT got one? Why isn't halo 3 the best FPS of all time when Half life (~10 years later?) is really ugly now? The answers to these are pretty freaking obvious to me but you guys are just failing to see it. Give it a rest already.

Magical_Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129 Magical_Donuts
Member since 2007 • 591 Posts
after a month you guys will see it got the score it deserved
numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#130 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts
after a month you guys will see it got the score it deservedMagical_Donuts
So it will go all the way down to a 76% average. Lot's of 5's needed.
BrownWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 BrownWalrus
Member since 2005 • 3467 Posts

after a month you guys will see it got the score it deservedMagical_Donuts

By your standards, it means that after a month i should have seen that Halo 3 deserved it's score. I do not think that at all. In fact, i think that it was still highly overrated, as was Halo 2.

slick_gio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 slick_gio
Member since 2004 • 1523 Posts

[QUOTE="yodariquo"]"We're effectively saying that fans of these sorts of action platformers, and to an even greater extent, fans of the Ratchet series, will probably have a blast. But we're also saying that its appeal might not extendso far beyond that group due to issues mentioned in the review text." He makes it sounds as if the review score is a measure of how mass market a game is and that any niche title cannot possibly garner a particularly high score.iunderstand

Or he's saying that people generally not into the R&C games probably wouldn't find much value in the game.

Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

sigh... i was right after-all with my prediction: "GS, open mouth, insert foot"

way to beat around the bush? why address all of these irrelevant issues and other BS regarding Internet society? **** all that and get to the point that your review guy messed up. All Jeff had to do was either say, i agree with the review, or man up and say that the review was inadequate, which in factwas.

and also what the **** is up with this: "But we're also saying that its appeal might not extends far beyond that group due to issues mentioned in the review text." oh and games like Gears of War, FF, halo...do they appeal to everyone. What the hell did they expect R&C to be... that BS, narrow minded comment applies to ALL games, so thisin no shape or form is a plausible defense. Just becuse it doesn't "appeal" to everyone doen't mean thatthat it should be penalized for that. that comment within itself is proofof hypocricy.

this damage control is even more pathetic than the review, because it talks about all kinds of **** except for the real issue on hand. The issue that a a sports guy screwed an action games' review, which should have either been firmly defended orpublically scrutinized. and wasn't Jeff a big fan of R&C too?... must have been my imagination.

If you lay something like this out in the open, instead of trying to sound like you have the cure for AIDS (notice the metaphor)and act all smug, howabout talking about something that isn't just a whloe lot of nothing.

i give this a thread a 7.5:)

TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 TheStatusQuo
Member since 2004 • 4994 Posts
I own Jeff an apology. I have nothing but respect for him.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts

So if that is the case, are we to assume that Halo 3 is a game that almost anyone will love? even people that don't like shooters particularly?

Is that to say that only people that like shooters will like timeshift or jericho? I think Jeff is just speaking in defence of the place he works. I'm not calling Jeff biased or whatever, but i think his view is flawed. if ratchet is 7.5 and only really appeals to fans of that genre, then technically, by scale, shouldn't Halo 3 or any of the many AAA titles out there appeal to a wider audience? I personally don't think Halo 3 appeals to many people outside the FPS fanclub.

Bah, whatever, this is a dead issue. Apparently gamespot condones their horrible writers, and defends them as "professionals".

Anyway, long story short, I disagree with Jeffs views on this, and it sounds more like "damage control" than "correcting a mistake".
0rin

Ahh, but there is where you are wrong.

I didn't like FPS before Halo came out. Halo 1 was so good that me and my best friend BOTh (neither of us like fps) started playiing them. He bought an xbox himself after playing that game with me.

So i think Jeff is right. Timeshift or Jericho are not gonna make non-fans change their minds like Halo did. R & C is not so great at what it does that I (who also does not like platformers) will start buying them.

I can't believe how much the R & C fans here don't seem to get that.

Majatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#136 Majatt
Member since 2004 • 893 Posts

Did Jeff just say part of the reason R&C scored 7.5 because it wouldn't appeal past the usual fanbase?

NEWSFLASH: People don't make Adventure games to appeal to non-adventure game fans.

That would just be stupid, thats like trying to make Wii sports appeal to the hardcore demographic, then it would just be all over the map and no one would like it. If you guys didn't like the game and thats why you scored it rubbish most people can understand that. Coming with lame excuses like this just make the already inconsistent reviews seem even more worthless.

Staticneuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Staticneuron
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

Honestly, this excuse is still weak. If I were to see this score I would think twice about my purchase. You see, once you afix a label on a game like "shooter" or "platformer" than that is a target. If I like platformer games I will pay attention to a game that is labeled platformer more than anything else. As a gamer that plays alot of games and read many reviews from many sources, I know better but for those that don't have much time and may use only this review to guide their purchase it just seems baited.

This is similar to what I have noticed about marking down games that do not have multiplatform elements in it (not just direct at the GS reviewers) If a game is marked single player then...... we understand that it has no multiplayer. If a game designer decides that they may not want multiplayer, ( goes against intended vision or just doesn't work in implementation) I do not see how the game reviewers decide to mark it down because they feel it should arbitrairily have MP or just because "another" game in the same genre does.

Game reviews should be based on the content presented not on the content a reviewer or critic believes the game should have. Let it be known to readers that the game is single player or a platformer and we will fill in the holes ourselves.

Chr0noid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#138 Chr0noid
Member since 2004 • 207 Posts

majatt just won the topic right here. I swear, I don't know what's worse, the review itself, or his poor damage control. I agree with everyone who thinks this guy's logic is off.

Liquid-GEAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Liquid-GEAR
Member since 2007 • 1574 Posts
The damage control is worse than the review.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

I LOL'd at the blue ray VS HD-DVD discussion

MICRO$OFT!!!!???? You see what i did there !!?? :lol:

loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I always look at scores before i buy a game and im glad there are sites and magazines were u can read about a game to see if its worth paying 60 dollars for.Remember back in the days when the nes would put out games daily with no one reviewing them and just because they had a cool looking box or was based on a movie you thought that they had to be good.Those games always turned out to be very bad.I remember paying 50 dollars for back to the future only to find out that the game was crap and had very little to do with the source material.Also top gun was an awful game i wish i could of seen a review on before purchasing.I dont really understand why people get so angry over game scores.I always check several sources to get a good idea if a game is worth buying or not.Like the guy said if your a fan of ratchet and clank youll probably enjoy it but for the rest of us who dont care a whole lot for the series ,or genre theres little there to attract us.Personally ive never played a ratchet and clank game and i have no idea if its a good game or not,all i know is that it doesnt look like something id enjoy.Im more into sports games and shooters so its gonna have to take something special to make me wanna play a platformer.There have been a few games in the past that gamespot has scored lower than i agree with but i dont bash them for it ,its just that persons opinion and if they have some sort of bias towards a certain product than thats there problem.Personally i dont think these guys score games lower because they hate a particular system but who knows.Just check the majority of scores across the board before buying something u think will be good,or just rent the damn thing if your on the fence about it.These games are fun but there not that big of a damn deal people,stop getting so offended over this stuff.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#142 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Hooray for Jeff!

Debate Club Amateur Hour LOL. Too true.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

sigh... i was right after-all with my prediction: "GS, open mouth, insert foot"

way to beat around the bush? why address all of these irrelevant issues and other BS regarding Internet society? **** all that and get to the point that your review guy messed up. All Jeff had to do was either say, i agree with the review, or man up and say that the review was inadequate, which in factwas.

and also what the **** is up with this: "But we're also saying that its appeal might not extends far beyond that group due to issues mentioned in the review text." oh and games like Gears of War, FF, halo...do they appeal to everyone. What the hell did they expect R&C to be... that BS, narrow minded comment applies to ALL games, so thisin no shape or form is a plausible defense. Just becuse it doesn't "appeal" to everyone doen't mean thatthat it should be penalized for that. that comment within itself is proofof hypocricy.

this damage control is even more pathetic than the review, because it talks about all kinds of **** except for the real issue on hand. The issue that a a sports guy screwed an action games' review, which should have either been firmly defended orpublically scrutinized. and wasn't Jeff a big fan of R&C too?... must have been my imagination.

If you lay something like this out in the open, instead of trying to sound like you have the cure for AIDS (notice the metaphor)and act all smug, howabout talking about something that isn't just a whloe lot of nothing.

i give this a thread a 7.5:)

Rakuho

Plausible.

Did Jeff just say part of the reason R&C scored 7.5 because it wouldn't appeal past the usual fanbase?

NEWSFLASH: People don't make Adventure games to appeal to non-adventure game fans.

That would just be stupid, thats like trying to make Wii sports appeal to the hardcore demographic, then it would just be all over the map and no one would like it. If you guys didn't like the game and thats why you scored it rubbish most people can understand that. Coming with lame excuses like this just make the already inconsistent reviews seem even more worthless.

Majatt

Plausible.

Honestly, this excuse is still weak. If I were to see this score I would think twice about my purchase. You see, once you afix a label on a game like "shooter" or "platformer" than that is a target. If I like platformer games I will pay attention to a game that is labeled platformer more than anything else. As a gamer that plays alot of games and read many reviews from many sources, I know better but for those that don't have much time and may use only this review to guide their purchase it just seems baited.

This is similar to what I have noticed about marking down games that do not have multiplatform elements in it (not just direct at the GS reviewers) If a game is marked single player then...... we understand that it has no multiplayer. If a game designer decides that they may not want multiplayer, ( goes against intended vision or just doesn't work in implementation) I do not see how the game reviewers decide to mark it down because they feel it should arbitrairily have MP or just because "another" game in the same genre does.

Game reviews should be based on the content presented not on the content a reviewer or critic believes the game should have. Let it be known to readers that the game is single player or a platformer and we will fill in the holes ourselves.

Staticneuron

Plausible.

nathantay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#144 nathantay
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
If Ratchet and Clank is so great stop spending all day and nightwhinning about the 7.5 GS rated it and go play the damn game.
Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts

I do play. I'd like to play more games like it.

For that to happen, Insomniac has to make more. For Insomniac to make more, the game would have to be a success. For the game to be a success, people have to buy it. To encourage sales, the game must do well in the reveiws and be honestly analyzed. If no such honesty is conveyed within the review, than the game will not get the kind of notoriety or sales it deserves, and that puts Insomniac's ability to make more of my preferred games at risk.

So please, stop telling me that my complaints hold no importance when it involves a very serious matter that actually effects the livelihood of the developers.

All Jeff's post did was outline his idea of the ideal reviewing techniques and say that GS employed said techniques. It didn't actually address the issue of whether or not the R&C review actually made sense. It was a cop-out.

BattlestarDT19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 BattlestarDT19
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I think people are still missing the point.

Jeff is not saying the game scored low because it doesn't appeal to fan's outside of the series, he is saying the game doesn't appeal outside of the series due to the faults that caused the low score. If you read his explanation with an open mind instead of getting ready to flame the man even more it wouldn't be such a hard paragraph to understand.

It's kind of ridiculous the way people react to the staff here, I mean would you flame Ebert because he gave a thumbs down to a movie you like? You know what, don't answer that.

haunt9

He deserves to be rebuked. Just look at the score he gave to Wu-Tang:Shaolin Style

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/action/wutangshaolinstyle/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Avatar image for 210189677155857843583653671808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 210189677155857843583653671808
Member since 2006 • 748 Posts

[QUOTE="0rin"]So if that is the case, are we to assume that Halo 3 is a game that almost anyone will love? even people that don't like shooters particularly?

Is that to say that only people that like shooters will like timeshift or jericho? I think Jeff is just speaking in defence of the place he works. I'm not calling Jeff biased or whatever, but i think his view is flawed. if ratchet is 7.5 and only really appeals to fans of that genre, then technically, by scale, shouldn't Halo 3 or any of the many AAA titles out there appeal to a wider audience? I personally don't think Halo 3 appeals to many people outside the FPS fanclub.

Bah, whatever, this is a dead issue. Apparently gamespot condones their horrible writers, and defends them as "professionals".

Anyway, long story short, I disagree with Jeffs views on this, and it sounds more like "damage control" than "correcting a mistake".
TBoogy

I didn't like FPS before Halo came out. Halo 1 was so good that me and my best friend BOTh (neither of us like fps) started playiing them. He bought an xbox himself after playing that game with me.

So i think Jeff is right. Timeshift or Jericho are not gonna make non-fans change their minds like Halo did. R & C is not so great at what it does that I (who also does not like platformers) will start buying them.

That works both ways I am not a fan of platform games and had never played a R&C until i got it for the ps3, HOWEVER becuae i enjoyed tools of distruction so much i am willing to play more of what that genrehas to offer.

BlackDianWei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 BlackDianWei
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts

[QUOTE="0rin"]So if that is the case, are we to assume that Halo 3 is a game that almost anyone will love? even people that don't like shooters particularly?

TBoogy

If you do not know what R&C does than you do not need to speek. You and your friend are but a small majority who like FPS.

BlackDianWei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 BlackDianWei
Member since 2005 • 554 Posts

Staticneuron

Sir consider yourself to EPIC because this quote "Game reviews should be based on the content presented not on the content a reviewer or critic believes the game should have" Shall be Sig'd

InsaneHanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 InsaneHanz
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
The score of R & C didnt match up with the review.