A List of Times Kojima said he's done making Metal Gear

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45100 Posts

What do you think, SW? Is MGS V really Kojima's last? Here are a list of times he's said he was done with Metal Gear Solid. I personally thought he was done after 4. It was an awesome send off. Of course I'll get V, but my hype is not as high as it was for 4.

http://kotaku.com/a-list-of-times-hideo-kojima-has-said-hes-done-making-m-1689707939

December 12, 2000 - IGN

IGNPS2: When you're done with [Metal Gear Solid 2], would you like to go on and do something totally fresh or would you rather make a follow-up to an older game, like Snatcher, Policenauts... or... a Tokimeki Memorial Drama CD?

Hideo: (Laugh) I want to do something totally different, but I've been saying this forever! I said that right after MGS, too. 1

September 28, 2001 - GameSpot

"I really think that Metal Gear has to live on in some form," [Kojima] confesses. "But as I said at the end of Metal Gear Solid, I really think it is time for me to hand the director role over to someone else. I might do the initial planning for the next game but not much more than that."

To some it might seem shocking that Kojima is thinking of walking away from Metal Gear. He says he has been thinking about his decision for a while and has been consciously trying to prepare the team for his eventual exit. "Throughout this project I have really tried to embody that theme of passing knowledge on to the next generation," he says while reviewing the stack of idea notebooks for the day. "These guys all have great ideas. Hopefully they can take what I have passed on to them and blend it with their own values to create a whole new kind of Metal Gear created by them, not me."

March 10, 2005 - Eurogamer

"Metal Gear Solid 3 is the final chapter in the Metal Gear Solid series,"[Hideo Kojima] said, reiterating the message that accompanied the announcement of Metal Gear Solid 4 for next-generation consoles during the Berlin leg of the tour recently.23

"From the beginning of March we've travelled through Berlin, Paris, Madrid and now we're finally here in London. And it is an honour to be part of the last moment of the last event of my last MGS.

"We've been working on the MGS games for the last ten years, and I'm really happy and confident to present you the final Metal Gear Solid game," he added, before going on to talk about the European extras.

September 15, 2005 - GameSpot

"This fourth [Metal Gear Solid] is going to be the final one for me and Shinkawa," stated Kojima, revealing that the series' art designer, Youji Shinkawa, will be exiting with him. "There are other things that [we] want to create."

[Note: Yoji Shinkawa is art director on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.]

April 2, 2008 - IGN

Hideo Kojima: I was supposed to end this in MGS2, you know, originally (laughs). And then I created MGS3, and I said, 'Okay, this is the final one. It's over.' But people said, 'No, there's still not enough answers (in that game)!' As a game design, the story was almost complete in MGS1, 2 and 3, or so I initially thought. But of course, there were some questions that weren't answered, especially with some things after MGS2. I didn't decide that this was the timing – there were a lot of voices saying, 'We want the answer to all of the questions!' That's why as a game, and as a saga, MGS4 is the complete wrap up.

PR-wise, I really don't want to say that this the final game or this is the wrap up, but if I don't say it, people will make me create MGS again!(laughs) So I have to say, 'Die, Snake,' and really end it so I can move on to something else! (laughs) Actually, it's a game, so even if Snake dies, the game can live on. We have to kill him at a certain point.

July 5, 2008 - Konami website

Once again I'd intended for MGS3 to wrap up the series, but so many people wanted to know what happened after "2". Things like the identity of the Patriots and so forth. I had planned on leaving those mysteries as mysteries, but people weren't convinced that the series was wrapped up.

So ultimately we ended up making "4". When work started on it, though, I began to wonder if my message of what we should pass on to future generations had truly gotten through, both to players and my team. After all, I've been conscious of the fact that this really is going to be my final Metal Gear, which means the team is going to have to continue the series themselves after I step away.

However, it hit me that maybe there are some things you can't pass on. A person's will, thoughts, and emotions aren't encoded into their genes, and they aren't a part of memes either. If you group together those remaining factors, you're left with a person's sense, and that's the theme of the game this time around.

That's why this is definitely my last Metal Gear and the end of Solid Snake's story. There probably will be a Metal Gear Solid 5, but it'll more than likely have a different world, characters, and story.4

September 29, 2009 - Kotaku5

"Not only the Kotaku readers but I myself am interested in doing something besides Metal Gear," he said. "But, right now, I am working on Peace Walker. Eventually, after the project is done, I might think about it."

He joked: "If you write that 'Kojima-san doesn't have to make Metal Gear any more' every day on Kotaku, and write to the CEO of Konami and tell him that, then it might be easier for me to make non-Metal Gear games."

November 25, 2011 - Official PlayStation Magazine

"In Guns of the Patriots [Snake] was supposed to die. Everyone on the staff really wanted to keep him alive, so I caved a little. I did have the feeling that I wanted to end the series, but looking back at it now as a producer, I think as long as people want to keep on playing it, I want to keep on meeting that demand. So I don't think it's a bad thing."

June 12, 2014 - Time

So in a way I guess I'm taking advantage of that to try new things, because every time I work on any game, be it Metal Gear or something else, I try to make new things. So for me, my challenge right now working on Metal Gear is, while preserving the elements that make it Metal Gear, to do all the new things I really want to do.

And this time — I'll say it again — this is the last one. Not the last Metal Gear, but the last one I'll work on. This is my focus when I go into working on a game. Every game I make, I create thinking it's really, really going to be the last game I create. So I put as much as I can in and make sure I have no regrets.6

March 4, 2015 - IGN

"I always say 'this will be my last Metal Gear,'" Kojima said, "but the games in the series that I've personally designed and produced — Metal Gear on MSX, MG2, MGS1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker, and now MGSV — are what constitute a single 'Metal Gear Saga.' With MGSV, I'm finally closing the loop on that saga."

"In that sense, this will be the final 'Metal Gear Solid,'" Kojima continued. "Even if the 'Metal Gear' franchise continues, this is the last 'Metal Gear.'"

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

PS5 + fat check from Konami= MGS 6.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I almost believe it this time. Why?

1. MGSV wraps up the timeline. Solid Snakes story ended in 4. Big Boss' story ends in 5. From here he would either be doing remakes (something he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to do), or he'd have to go back and do a 'The Boss' game which is probably unappealing and would add nothing to the series, or he would have to go far future.

2. He finally has some boss designers under him. The reason why MGSV is panning out so well is because he brought in the right people to handle the level design, mechanics and overall game flow. At this point he's just the idea guy. He can afford to step away from the franchise and trust that at least gameplay wise, it would be in good hands.

I think this might actually be it for him. Metal Gear could continue with new characters and a new universe while Kojima moves on to other things.

The only reason why I don't trust this fully is because Konami probably wants Kojima on Metal Gear until the day he dies.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The problem is the fans. People don't seem to realize that all his games are very large productions. There's a lot of time involved. He probably would like to work on something else. This issue is that the gaming consumer buys the metal gear name and games cost a fortune to produce. Sounds strange but not doing metal gear can be risky for him and his team considering the cost involved.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Unfortunately Konami has no other cash cow franchise and Kojima is apparently easily tempted.

That said, Kojima, STOP MILKING THE STORY OF BIG BOSS. Whereas MGS3 was a good self-contained story and Peace Walker's story has its moments, this is just ughhhh, especially with how MGS4 ended.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Metal Gear XXIV...............This is the last one, I promise!!!!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Mr. Kojima, I'm still hoping for The Boss during World War II game you said you'd like to make. It'd be awesome to see what those wacky Nazis would conjure up in Kojima's story. And The Boss would be the first female protagonist of Metal Gear series.

Edit: How insulting to not having David Hayter in the "last metal gear".

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

Didn't he say this was the last Metal Gear "Solid". He didn't say he was necessarily with Metal Gear though?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@davillain- said:

Mr. Kojima, I'm still hoping for The Boss during World War II game you said you'd like to make. It'd be awesome to see what those wacky Nazis would conjure up in Kojima's story. And The Boss would be the first female protagonist of Metal Gear series.

Would be genuinely interesting and cool.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@davillain- said:

Indeed. I don't think this is the last MGS but rather just Snake. He was interested in making The Boss as the next lead in MGS series.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

He knows that Konami will f*k it up without him and they will make more games anyway. So he'd rather take it on then let someone put their grubby hands on his beloved metal gear.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

That's fine, we can then move on to more Metal Gear Rising, the best take on Metal Gear lore.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

His definition of last one and the actual definition of last one is completely different. Some day someone is going to tell him what it actually means and he's going to be in the shock of his life.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

I almost believe it this time. Why?

1. MGSV wraps up the timeline. Solid Snakes story ended in 4. Big Boss' story ends in 5. From here he would either be doing remakes (something he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to do), or he'd have to go back and do a 'The Boss' game which is probably unappealing and would add nothing to the series, or he would have to go far future.

2. He finally has some boss designers under him. The reason why MGSV is panning out so well is because he brought in the right people to handle the level design, mechanics and overall game flow. At this point he's just the idea guy. He can afford to step away from the franchise and trust that at least gameplay wise, it would be in good hands.

I think this might actually be it for him. Metal Gear could continue with new characters and a new universe while Kojima moves on to other things.

The only reason why I don't trust this fully is because Konami probably wants Kojima on Metal Gear until the day he dies.

1. Actually, he has repeatedly said that he wants to do remakes but doesn't has the time.

2. If MG Rising is anything to go buy then you're wrong yet again. The story of the game and cut-scenes were all made by KojiPro and it was terrible to say the least. Insanely awful watery diarrhea.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

After MGSV I would love a Zone of the Enders 3.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

MGS5 -> Silent hills -> ???

For me, MGS should never die, after everything hopefully wraps up on MGS5 there are a lot of interesting characters that they can be center stage in their own games like The Boss, Ocelot or Gray Fox.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Well, this time he is working on something else after MGS5: Silent Hills.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i hope hes done for a while at least.. we need him to get done with MGSV and go full steam on Silent Hills.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Unfortunately Konami has no other cash cow franchise and Kojima is apparently easily tempted.

That said, Kojima, STOP MILKING THE STORY OF BIG BOSS. Whereas MGS3 was a good self-contained story and Peace Walker's story has its moments, this is just ughhhh, especially with how MGS4 ended.

What I find funny is how little of Solid Snake is in the main Metal Gear Solid games (Not counting the original Metal Gear games on the MSX or spinoffs). He is only in 1 and 4 and a very small part in 2 and only in MGS1 do you play him in his natural form. Buy anways I would like to play a MGS game as ether Liquid Snake or Solidus Snake I mean that would be cool.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@Gue1 said:

1. Actually, he has repeatedly said that he wants to do remakes but doesn't has the time.

2. If MG Rising is anything to go buy then you're wrong yet again. The story of the game and cut-scenes were all made by KojiPro and it was terrible to say the least. Insanely awful watery diarrhea.

1. Over the years he's mentioned multiple times that he hates the idea of retreading old ground and always wants to move on to new things. Not only as far as remakes go, but so much so that that's why he didn't want to take the extra time to later port MGS4 to the 360. I already know what you're about to bring up, but people keep taking it out of context. He was asked by an interviewer "If you were to remake one of you old games for PlayStation 4, which one would you choose?", to which he kindly replied with his answer and then said that he's too busy, but would love to see someone else step forward and do it. The guy was in a public space at a gaming show representing Konami, not chilling with the homies. Of course he's not going to say "**** that, I'm done!" lol. You really think the dude that's been trying to get away from making new MGS games for 15 years is keen on remaking an old one? Come on Gue1, common sense man.
  2. Reading comprehension bro. I had just said "The reason why MGSV is panning out so well is because he brought in the right people to handle the level design, mechanics and overall game flow." This isn't the same team that botched Rising in 2010. Aside from Shinkawa, almost all of his leads have been replaced. His team is much more international now and he brought in a slew of western devs to help with the engine, level design, play mechanics and really just the overall core of what MGSV is. Further more, I had also said (you even bolded this part lol) "He can afford to step away from the franchise and trust that at least gameplay wise, it would be in good hands.".... GAMEPLAY WISE BRO, GAMEPLAY! Haha, damn.

Beyond that, Rising was botched by a team that didn't know how to make anything but stealth games. Even so, that team no longer exists in the same form. Kojima went out of his way to restructure his team and development style over the years. He's been bringing it up on his show regularly for the past few years and he even mentioned it during the release date video. He saw how far they were lagging behind with MGS4 and rectified that.

Please man, I feel like you respond to me just for the sake of arguing even if you know you're wrong. Kind of annoying bro.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#21 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Seriously... There was so many missed oppertunities for Solid Snake Stories... Hell MGS2 was really a raiden game, so really you have MGS1 and MGS4 for Solid Snake (and MG1 and 2 but those are very old and short in comparison)... There could of been many games in the timeline between MGS1 and 4 , it seems solid snake was cut short. There still could be games with solid... but it seems like Kojima is obsessed with Big Boss.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#22 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

What do you mean "He saw how far he was lagging behind in MGS4"... where do you get this from? Is this just your own speculation and hatred of MGS4? I don't get it. Yeah I realize a team of 360 fanatics last gen bagged on the game for having too many custscenes but that isn't popular opinion. Most who played the game loved it and it scored a 10/10 here... I bought a ps3 because of that game... and it was worth every penny. The game rocked and I loved what he did with MGS4. It was a long game, and was great in so many ways. Why are some people against cut-scenes today? It used to be a reward seeing the story being told in cutscenes after gameplay all throughout the ps1-ps2 era... then bam... last gen "cutscense are bad.. I'd rather watch a movie". I never got that scentiment... as I love the mix of both in games. If i want strict gameplay there is indies and retro titles for that. Nothing wrong with having cinematics in games.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

The western market has never been exposed to Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. I won't be surprised if Kojima finishes off the Metal Gear franchise with remakes of the MSX originals and call it Metal Gear Solid 6

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Everybody knows Kojima is trolling but in all seriousness I hope he finishes up that Silent Hill game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

Clearly each game in intended to be the last one, and he just makes up the story as he goes along.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's funny people think money is changing his mind. If anything he just says this purposely before every MGS game launch to increase sales. You can't lose with that tactic.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Honestly who the frak cares, he enjoys making games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

1. Reading comprehension bro. I had just said

System Wars man, literally half these idiots can't read. Not figurative my brother, literal.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@davillain-: Yeah, The Boss story in WWII would be cool. Though I don't think I'm gonna lose sleep over it not existing.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

His heart says no, but his wallet says yes.

Extrodinare101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Extrodinare101
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@davillain- said:

Would be lame, a terrible character in a generic setting. As if the series couldn't go any lower

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@Midnightshade29 said:

@ConanTheStoner:

What do you mean "He saw how far he was lagging behind in MGS4"... where do you get this from? Is this just your own speculation and hatred of MGS4?

Bruh? BRUHHHH????

**** guys, please read what I'm saying. I'm not putting words in Kojimas mouth here, damn.

The very reason that the Fox Engine exists is because of what he saw as shortcomings with development on MGS4. Almost immediately after release he expressed his disappointment with the game. The reason why we're seeing MGSV release over 7 years later as opposed to the typical 3-4 year cycles is because he had to completely restructure his team and his development pipeline while at the same time building an engine to accommodate these new methods in a streamlined fashion.

Just a couple of days ago, in Kojimas own words:

"While developing MGS4, I contemplated an open world approach, but we lacked the technology. I felt we were also lagging behind western studios in other areas like physics simulation, lighting, and rendering techniques as well. That fueled my decision to seriously invest in creating an internal game engine which we called the Fox Engine. The new engine was mandatory to realize my goals for MGSV:TPP. I needed a way to empower small teams of specialists to work individually on tasks that they were best at in order to boost efficiency. The engine also allowed us to adopt more of a western style tool chain and team structure. Without these modern optimizations, we'd never finish a game with The Phantom Pains scope. This resulted in MGSV differing drastically from MGS4, not only with respect to content, but also with regard to development style and methods."

Anyways, this is just the most recent. Also, I don't expect everyone to be a fanatic and watch every Kojima Station episode that pops up, but guess what? I do. I've seen them go over these points a lot and in much more detail. I've watched these new level designers, gameplay designers and engine specialists give their take on things and talk about their roles in the company over the past couple of years. It's a whole new ball game and it shows.

Comparing Kojimas team and development pipeline today to what it was 5 or 6 years ago is simply asinine.

@jg4xchamp said:

System Wars man, literally half these idiots can't read. Not figurative my brother, literal.

**** man, don't I know it. Not even sure why I waste my time.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#33 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

MGS 6 is coming, you can count on that.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I believe it when I see it. I would love a new ZOE games. The market doesint really have games like that so it would be a breath of fresh air.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

Sequel = $$$$

Series Finale = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is all.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I like how he said he's done with MGS after MGS5 but in every other interview he talks about he wants to remake MGS1 in the new FOX engine.

In coming remake of all the MGS game incomming.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'm not buying it either. At the end of MGS4, Snake says he essentially has one more mission to do and Otacon was to be his witness if I remember correctly. There is a final chapter to the MGS story that has yet to be told. I think when we see Old Snake again in a trailer, that will really be the final game. I bet Kojima is saving it for when he is retirement age.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner

@Nengo_Flow said:

I like how he said he's done with MGS after MGS5 but in every other interview he talks about he wants to remake MGS1 in the new FOX engine.

In coming remake of all the MGS game incomming.

I addressed this above, but again. It's one of those things that keeps being taken out of context. Interviewers ask him "Will we see previous MGS titles on Fox Engine?" or "If you were to remake a title for PS4 which would you choose?".

He never brings it up himself, it's just interviewers prodding for random info. To which he responds that he would enjoy playing an open world take on Shadow Moses, but wants it to be developed by someone else. The offer is out there, but nobody has stepped forward to handle it.

Most of these articles leave out the key points here, that Kojima is never the one to bring it up and is always trying to distance himself from the possibility when asked.

That's not to say he won't eventually do it, but everyone is just assuming that he will for all of the wrong reasons.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Metal Gear will end when Kojima says he's NOT done with Metal Gear.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

well i'm glad he never stopped, if there is gonna be a MGS6 i'm gonna get it day 1

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@HaloPimp978 said:

Everybody knows Kojima is trolling

This,

@navyguy21 said:

Sequel = $$$$

Series Finale = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is all.

This,

@GhoX said:

His heart says no, but his wallet says yes.

And this.

Yawn @ Kojima.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

well, last time he claimed he said he was getting death threats if he didn't make it and caved in