A History of Launch Game Reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
#1 Posted by DontGetBigIdeas (252 posts) -

launch-review-scores-by-release.png

This particular view shows that the last three systems released in the U.S. market, the PlayStation 3, Wii, and Wii U, all had an extraordinarily wide spread of launch review scores. The PlayStation 3 and Wii U are also noteable for having their launch game review averages skewed toward the upper end of the range of all their review scores.

On the other hand, the Xbox 360 and the GameCube both had an exceptionally narrow range of review scores for their launch titles. Also, we can see that the Dreamcast had the fortune of having the best-reviewed launch game ever,SoulCalibur. The second-best wasHalo: Combat Evolvedon the original Xbox.

launch-title-count-by-platform.png

launch-review-scores-by-average.png

Gamasutra

#2 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -
Wii U had a 9 on launch.
#3 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12833 posts) -

Wii U had a 9 on launch.Blabadon
It's based on Metacritic and Gamerankings.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Wii U had a 9 on launch.OreoMilkshake

It's based on Metacritic and Gamerankings.

Hmm? Oh yeah, I know. I was just bored.
#5 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -
The PS3 had some terrible launch games. I don't even know how it had an average over 70%. There were only 1-2 games worth playing on the PS3 when it launched. Everything else was crap or below average. The XBox 360 had more quality over quantity. Besides the stupid RROD and shortage of systems, it had one of the better software launch of any console.
#6 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
wow.. ps3 launch reviews higher than wii u...ouch
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#7 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44839 posts) -
wow.. ps3 launch reviews higher than wii u...ouchcampzor
Potential is there when the Wii U has double the amount of games at launch.
#8 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
Nintendo 64 had 8 launch games?
#9 Posted by Fizzman (9892 posts) -

Nintendo 64 had 8 launch games?Cherokee_Jack

N64 was a feast of famine console with a **** ton of famine. With that said, it's still my favorite Nintendo console of all time. Gamecube is a close second.

#10 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Nintendo 64 had 8 launch games?Fizzman

N64 was a feast of famine console with a **** ton of famine.

But I don't think it even had 8 launch games. It had Mario and Pilotwings.
#11 Posted by Fizzman (9892 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]Nintendo 64 had 8 launch games?Cherokee_Jack

N64 was a feast of famine console with a **** ton of famine.

But I don't think it even had 8 launch games. It had Mario and Pilotwings.

Maybe they were referring to it's launch window?

#12 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

I should mention that I took a rather liberal view of Nintendo 64 launch games. I've included everything that launched in 1996. After all, onlyPilotwings 64andSuper Mario 64were available the day the system came out in the U.S.Gamasutra

That explains it.

Bit unfair really.

#13 Posted by Fizzman (9892 posts) -

[quote="Gamasutra"]I should mention that I took a rather liberal view of Nintendo 64 launch games. I've included everything that launched in 1996. After all, onlyPilotwings 64andSuper Mario 64were available the day the system came out in the U.S.Cherokee_Jack

That explains it.

Bit unfair really.

Ehhh Mario 64 was so revolutionary and amazing so that one launch game really made up for having nothing else to play.

Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
#14 Posted by DontGetBigIdeas (252 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[quote="Gamasutra"]I should mention that I took a rather liberal view of Nintendo 64 launch games. I've included everything that launched in 1996. After all, onlyPilotwings 64andSuper Mario 64were available the day the system came out in the U.S.Fizzman

That explains it.

Bit unfair really.

Ehhh Mario 64 was so revolutionary and amazing so that one launch game really made up for having nothing else to play.

It really was pretty amazing.
#15 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -

Most launches have rarely been worth it nor do they define the platform. Notice how the PS launch was weaker than the 64. Which system had the better library? Hint it wasn't the Nintendo 64(inb4 Saturn) Notice how the PS2 launch is technically weaker than the cubes launch, and I guess in a tie with the xbox for average?

And the PS2 killed it last gen. Some platforms start off with major heavy hitters(like the xbox had Halo, and the 64 had Mario 64), but a lot of times launch lineups are good enough territory or just straight up week. And in retrospect very few launch games actually are that great that they stand the test of time. Hell with Halo it's a whole lot of nostalgia carrying that game. That game's level design all these years later is horrendously inconsistent, with the saving grace being that hey Halo 2 was actually worse.

#16 Posted by Animal-Mother (27350 posts) -

Ahh I was gonna post this earlier today to make the boards crazy but decided not too.

#17 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

360 had a really strong start I think.

It's not WiiU's launch titles that bother me the most though

#18 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[quote="Gamasutra"]I should mention that I took a rather liberal view of Nintendo 64 launch games. I've included everything that launched in 1996. After all, onlyPilotwings 64andSuper Mario 64were available the day the system came out in the U.S.DontGetBigIdeas

That explains it.

Bit unfair really.

It really was pretty amazing.

Yeah, I'm sure it was amazing at the launch of the N64.

#19 Posted by mariokart64fan (20547 posts) -

YA THE POTENTAIL THAT PS3 HAS HIGHER RATING OVER ALL IS DUE TO LESS SOFTWARE , THE WII U IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST CONSOLE I BOUGHT AT LAUNCH THAT I QUICKLY BOUGHT SO MANY GAMES FOR AND THEY ARE

1. 007 legends- a nintendo console without 007 is a sin ,
  2. madden 13 have it on 360 ,so good had to get the wii u version and after getting sound up and running its a lot better
  3. zombi u --since re cvx/4 i have not played as good survival horror til now ,
  4. sonic all star racing -probaBLY MY LEAST FAV OF THE 7 GAMES I HAVE ON MY WII U (HAVE TO SEE BY XMAS ILL HAVE 3 MORE)
  5. TRINE 2 HD -GREAT GAME ,
  6. NANO ASSAULT NEO -AN AWSOME 2D SHOOTEM UP
  7. HYPER SWITCH FORCE- THIS WAS PRETTY FUN ,
  8. CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2
  9. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS U
  10. NINTENDO LAND

THIS LAUNCH WAS THE BEST! I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME ,

THE MOST I EVER GOT AT LAUNCH PRIOR WAS 4 GAMES , DUE TO LACK OF QUALITY . PREVIOUSLY 360 I HAD PGR3 PD0 NFS MW AND KAMEO ELEMENTS OF POWER AT LAUNCH ! WII I HAD COD3 RED STEEL WII SPORTS AND ZELDA SKYWARD N64- WHEN I GOT IT -SM64 WAVE RACE PILOT WINGS MARIOKART 64 GOLDENEYE HEXEN AND TUROK -THIS IS 2ND BEST OBVIOUSLY

snes-smw and fzero were the only 2 available

nes-mario duck hunt

ps3-i got nothing cause there was nothing i replaced my timesplitters 2 and played it til i got nfs carbon

ds -sm64

3ds-pilot wings nintendogs and asphalt

psp -ridge racer twisted metal

psvita-aspahlt modnation and shinobido 2 ----lol these are still the only ones i got since it came nearly a yr ago -and if you think wii u is bad look at vita thats my launches right there ,

oh gc i got only 2 -wave race 2 and luigis mansion on day 2 i got crazy taxi

so ya ---wii u -best line up for me ever! it just edged out n64

#20 Posted by super600 (32404 posts) -

YA THE POTENTAIL THAT PS3 HAS HIGHER RATING OVER ALL IS DUE TO LESS SOFTWARE , THE WII U IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST CONSOLE I BOUGHT AT LAUNCH THAT I QUICKLY BOUGHT SO MANY GAMES FOR AND THEY ARE

1. 007 legends- a nintendo console without 007 is a sin ,
  2. madden 13 have it on 360 ,so good had to get the wii u version and after getting sound up and running its a lot better
  3. zombi u --since re cvx/4 i have not played as good survival horror til now ,
  4. sonic all star racing -probaBLY MY LEAST FAV OF THE 7 GAMES I HAVE ON MY WII U (HAVE TO SEE BY XMAS ILL HAVE 3 MORE)
  5. TRINE 2 HD -GREAT GAME ,
  6. NANO ASSAULT NEO -AN AWSOME 2D SHOOTEM UP
  7. HYPER SWITCH FORCE- THIS WAS PRETTY FUN ,
  8. CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2
  9. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS U
  10. NINTENDO LAND

THIS LAUNCH WAS THE BEST! I HAVE SEEN IN A LONG TIME ,

THE MOST I EVER GOT AT LAUNCH PRIOR WAS 4 GAMES , DUE TO LACK OF QUALITY . PREVIOUSLY 360 I HAD PGR3 PD0 NFS MW AND KAMEO ELEMENTS OF POWER AT LAUNCH ! WII I HAD COD3 RED STEEL WII SPORTS AND ZELDA SKYWARD N64- WHEN I GOT IT -SM64 WAVE RACE PILOT WINGS MARIOKART 64 GOLDENEYE HEXEN AND TUROK -THIS IS 2ND BEST OBVIOUSLY

snes-smw and fzero were the only 2 available

nes-mario duck hunt

ps3-i got nothing cause there was nothing i replaced my timesplitters 2 and played it til i got nfs carbon

ds -sm64

3ds-pilot wings nintendogs and asphalt

psp -ridge racer twisted metal

psvita-aspahlt modnation and shinobido 2 ----lol these are still the only ones i got since it came nearly a yr ago -and if you think wii u is bad look at vita thats my launches right there ,

oh gc i got only 2 -wave race 2 and luigis mansion on day 2 i got crazy taxi

so ya ---wii u -best line up for me ever! it just edged out n64

mariokart64fan

The game that destryed a good developer.:lol:

#21 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

OB-47
It's all the 3rd party companies that are reconsidering making games for the Wii U right away. Some games have even been cancelled. Same thing happened with the PS3 as well, as developers wanted to wait until more systems were sold before they released their games.
#22 Posted by TheEroica (17238 posts) -
Wow... wiiu had a worse launch library than ps3??? Didnt reggie promise the best launch ever? That fukin liar!
#23 Posted by TheEroica (17238 posts) -
[QUOTE="OB-47"]

blackace
It's all the 3rd party companies that are reconsidering making games for the Wii U right away. Some games have even been cancelled. Same thing happened with the PS3 as well, as developers wanted to wait until more systems were sold before they released their games.

As they should.... in this market where devs live and die by one game at a time, i see why they are so protective about market saturation.