A great victory for AMD! Intel forced to pay for bribing.

• 150 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

It's been 5 years since intel tried dragging it's feet in order to avoid a record fine for bribing and threatening PC makers as well as retailers to not use AMD Gaming CPU's.

intel finally lost it's appeal in court and will be forced to pay $1.4 billion for bribing PC makers and retailers.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/12/intel-loses-eu-antitrust-appeal/?ncid=rss_truncated

I am glad this cheating and frankly disgusting company will at least face some consequence however meager for trying to force AMD out of the market which means there will be a competitive market place for consumers and hence better prices. Good news is AMD wasn't forced out of the market and their R9 series gaming GPU's was extremely successful. AMD's Gaming APU's which absolutely trashes intel CPU/GPU's when it comes to gaming is also doing quite well and got excellent reviews. AMD's is also receiving new talent include a legendary Gaming CPU engineer as well as a new Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy. Interview (here).

What a cheating and disgusting company, this why my next Gaming CPU will be an AMD CPU because of moral reasons.

intel will make one last ditch effort to appeal in the highest court which I am pretty sure they will fail which is fine with me the more money intel waste's on lawyers the merrier. But it's about time intel faced the music. Too bad the money fined, AMD will receive none of it as they were on the receiving end and lost billions of dollars as a result of it.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i'm an intel supporter (not an amd detractor mind you, i use an amd GPU)

and i have to say ... i'm shocked. i had no idea intel were so dirty, i mean, their fabrication facilities are so clean!

if justice has been served, that's great.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#3  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

and i have to say ... i'm shocked. i had no idea intel were so dirty, i mean, their fabrication facilities are so clean!

Oh yeah. Intel is the dirtiest company in the PC industry. I can't believe they paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes and threats to PC makers along the lines you better use intel processors "or else". They even bribed a German retailer to only sell intel CPU's. Link here. If you don't know Germany is the biggest PC gaming market in Europe so AMD likely lost tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in Gaming CPU sales. What a despicable company. I will never buy an intel processors and my next Gaming rig will definitely be a next gen AMD gaming CPU.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Yea, thats nice. Now call me when AMD can actually make a CPU that can compete with Intel.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

As an Intel owner, I still heartily approve of this development, it couldn't happen to a nicer company. That said, AMD needs to get their act together and create another athlon 64 bombshell.

MdBrOtha04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MdBrOtha04
Member since 2003 • 1828 Posts

All those years when Dell only used Intel comes to mind. With that said when aiming for the high end AMD CPU's are trash compared to Intel's high end. Their GPU's are good albeit power hungry. AMD will get my money again when their CPU performs better then Intel's Core i7 with comparable power consumption.

Maybe sooner if I want to build a cheap APU based system for the wife.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Yea, thats nice. Now call me when AMD can actually make a CPU that can compete with Intel.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

bu bu but my 2500k is sooo guud

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

So does AMD get that money, or the EU?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

AMD CPUs can game well enough. One thing say, my FX8350 does far better than Intel CPUs is play games and record game footage at the same time.

With my older CPUs, I wouldn't dare record full-size 1080p videos if my framerates were in the 30's. The FX-8350 makes it possible without dropping framerates.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By clyde46

@jun_aka_pekto said:

AMD CPUs can game well enough. One thing say, my FX8350 does far better than Intel CPUs is play games and record game footage at the same time.

With my older CPUs, I wouldn't dare record full-size 1080p videos if my framerates were in the 30's. The FX-8350 makes it possible without dropping framerates.

I would guess that its because that CPU has a higher clock speed, encoding video loves faster cores.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@clyde46 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I would guess that its because that CPU has a higher clock speed, encoding video loves faster cores.

Yeah. But, this is while gaming too. I don't mind the (slightly) slower game performance. I much prefer the flexibility of more cores.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@clyde46 said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Yeah. But, this is while gaming too.

Same thing applies.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Yeah, I haven't had any real issues on my 8320. Picked it up on sale for $130, and it's done everything I've asked of it. It can occasionally have issues on games that are very poorly threaded, but with the adoption of more mulit-threaded engines and Mantle/DX12, I think it should last me quite a while.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Yep.

But yeah, justice and all.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Another thing I'm pleased with my FX-8350 is how it handles multiple windows in FSX. Usually, this will bring any CPU to its knees with framerates often dropping to single digits. Not in this case. When I first saw this (by accident), my jaw just dropped. In my mind, I was astounded because I was expecting framerates to be in the teens if not single digits with multi-window and multi-monitor.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Well they did just get a 1.4 billion dollar investment so the chances are a little better I suppose.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46

@Vaasman said:

@clyde46 said:

Well they did just get a 1.4 billion dollar investment so the chances are a little better I suppose.

That should go a little way at clearing those debts.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Can they still appeal the ruling?

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

@clyde46 said:

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 topgunmv

@lostrib said:

Can they still appeal the ruling?

One more time according to the article.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Intel and Nvidia fanboy here. AMD needs to step their game up and stop worrying about what dirty tricks the competition is playing. The GPU contest is getting closer but the CPU game is still lop sided. AMD is on the right track with their pricing though.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clyde46

@GoldenElementXL said:

Intel and Nvidia fanboy here. AMD needs to step their game up and stop worrying about what dirty tricks the competition is playing. The GPU contest is getting closer but the CPU game is still lop sided. AMD is on the right track with their pricing though.

Those "dirty" tricks nearly put AMD out of business.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

1.4 billion? Bah, that's a speeding ticket for a company like Intel.

I highly suspect Intel will try to appeal the ruling if only to delay having to satisfy the judgment a while longer. Whether the EU Court of Justice will hear it is another question - that's anyone's guess.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Meh.. Their CPUs still can't compete with Intel.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I'll still buy Intel CPUs. I use AMD's graphics cards but I know damn well to stay away from their CPUs

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@BPoole96 said:

I'll still buy Intel CPUs. I use AMD's graphics cards but I know damn well to stay away from their CPUs

They're really not that bad. It's only games that rely on one or two cores that you have to worry about. Well-threaded games work amazingly, especially considering the price you can get the CPUs at. And I'll probably stick with AMD GPUs down the line as well, unless Nvidia just blows them out the water. I noticed colors being more vibrant on my AMD GPU--apparently Nvidia's drivers present a washed out image unless you correct it manually; I definitely noticed a difference. And it's just hard as **** to beat AMD's price to performance ratio. I mean, there's R9 290s out there (XFX Double Dissipation ones) for like $350 after rebate--that's insane.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 topgunmv

@cfisher2833 said:

@BPoole96 said:

They're really not that bad. It's only games that rely on one or two cores that you have to worry about. Well-threaded games work amazingly, especially considering the price you can get the CPUs at. And I'll probably stick with AMD GPUs down the line as well, unless Nvidia just blows them out the water. I noticed colors being more vibrant on my AMD GPU--apparently Nvidia's drivers present a washed out image unless you correct it manually; I definitely noticed a difference. And it's just hard as **** to beat AMD's price to performance ratio. I mean, there's R9 290s out there (XFX Double Dissipation ones) for like $350 after rebate--that's insane.

The stupid crypto currency craze probably hurt them in the long run though, prices just recently came down, and a lot of people jumped ship to Nvidia as a result.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

Same here. I liked the intel + amd combo. My last builds had an intel CPU and AMD GPU and my next ones will too.

What setup do you have ?

@clyde46 said:

Well, when your competitor does stuff like this it's no wonder you are trailing behind.

Most likely that is intels plan all along: less income > less money for R&D

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@cfisher2833 said:

@BPoole96 said:

The stupid crypto currency craze probably hurt them in the long run though, prices just recently came down, and a lot of people jumped ship to Nvidia as a result.

Yep, I bought an R9 290 back in March for $470 and at the time that was the lowest price by a good $50. A guy over on NeoGAF was selling some Asus ones for $300 last month. Made me pretty sad lol

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

I like Intel CPUs, but Intel didn't need to do that. AMD have already been having a hard time.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Good to hear.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Until my 2500k i5 my last intel CPU was a 1ghz p3. I went amd for like 12 years. I am not against buying amd again but it has to beat Intels offerings first.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

AMD CPU's have sucked for a while, Intel are doing nothing wrong

AMD need to step up their game & make a CPU to compete with Intel again, but it's easier to play the victim & demand payouts isn't it?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

$1.4 billion is nothing for Intel

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Completely irrelevant to the thread,and there was a time where they did.

Never the less Intel practices were shady and horrible,if they have such great CPU why bribe PC makers to not use AMD CPU.?

Nvidia has been catch doing things as well,trying to on purpose to ruin performance for AMD GPU by introducing code that would cripple AMD GPU,also abusing effects so that benchmarks show bad performance for AMD GPU.

I don't get it if you are the freaking best why you have to resort to shady tactics and abusive ways in order to keep your self ahead,is MS like step on the smaller guy all you can even that they don't need to.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@HaloinventedFPS said:

AMD CPU's have sucked for a while, Intel are doing nothing wrong

AMD need to step up their game & make a CPU to compete with Intel again, but it's easier to play the victim & demand payouts isn't it?

My god some of you are truly sad,the thread isn't about AMD CPU performing good or bad,is about Intel shady ass practices of paying PC makers or giving them huge discounts so that those makers would stop using AMD CPU,that is totally illegal both here in the states and in EU as well,reason why they got a fine of 1.4 billions.

You think intel did nothing wrong.?

Imaging your self making a product yours isn't best by the way,but your prices are good enough for a certain part of the market to go after them,all of the sudden i who also make products and that they compete with your which by the way are better but much more expensive,start talking to the people you sold your product to,and start offering them deal or pretty much bribing them with money so that they stop carrying your product any more would you consider that as nothing if the one getting screwed was you.?

Is great that Intel got catch on this and punish they deserve it.

@aroxx_ab said:

$1.4 billion is nothing for Intel

Apparently is something they have 5 years appealing this.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 topgunmv

@BPoole96: Ya, the insane prices made it easy for me to wait for the aftermarket coolers (picked up the 290x in my sig).

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

1.4 billion? :o

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

Justice has been served.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

As a shareholder, I am disappointed. But, that is a significant fine at over 10% of operating income (2013).

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

$1.4 billion is nothing? That is a huge chunk of money to pay for any company. It's not like they are spending it to gain an asset.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

good stuff. but will it get them to stop? god no. its still money down the back of a sofa for intel....tis no bother for them.

for the record....currently using intel and nvidia hardware for my laptop and all AMD hardware for my desktop.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Xtasy26 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Oh yeah. Intel is the dirtiest company in the PC industry. I can't believe they paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in bribes and threats to PC makers along the lines you better use intel processors "or else". They even bribed a German retailer to only sell intel CPU's. Link here. If you don't know Germany is the biggest PC gaming market in Europe so AMD likely lost tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in Gaming CPU sales. What a despicable company. I will never buy an intel processors and my next Gaming rig will definitely be a next gen AMD gaming CPU.

Lol. AMD, what they originally were, are gone. Intel **** them sideways for CPU's and have done since 06. Get over it. Also, Nvidia GeForce> AMD Radeon. Have I made my self clear?

No actually. When you say "**** them sideways for CPU's," do you mean they paid for CPUs with sex or that they were paid for sex in CPUs?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

ITT: People haven't worked out that this is the reason AMD CPUs are not competing well

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

AMD can Jaguar their ass down the road.

Weak ass company has always been weak.

They can't touch NVidia or Intel. Fact.

They write drivers like Sony writes PS software.