A good way to fight piracy on pc (also total war system specs)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Rome total war will be relased both retail and in steam. Retail will also require activation via steam Link. I just cant understand why dont more companies that complain about piracy dont follow this model (released it both retail and digital and require activation via steam or similar service ) instead of implementing DRM solutions like EA which all they do is hurt the end user and hurt game sales
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
Any software program can be patched so that it thinks that the program has been activated when actually it hasn't.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
steam, that is a good way to stop it. all developers should use steam. it is a great service buy games, talk to friends, add a server to ur favorites. it is like a DRM but it is a friendly one. people don't think of it as DRM. u can play the game offline so it isn't so bad.
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
Having a Steam Copy and a Physical copy really is the best of both worlds. I'm glad developers are starting to do this.
PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
Ugh, im considered a PC fanboy i guess, but damn, STEAM doesnt stop piracy at all, why are you all so far in denial about this? ... all the games are cracked.
c02z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 c02z
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
Ugh, im considered a PC fanboy i guess, but damn, STEAM doesnt stop piracy at all, why are you all so far in denial about this? ... all the games are cracked.PC360Wii
its true, steam doesnt stop piracy at all. these people won't get it through their head.
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
not really , if someone downloads a steam only game and copy the downloaded folder and make a script to bypass activation...as usual:roll: and then upload it to the net.. only solution is if the game is keep checking online your serial key or if you are using modified files....
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
It will still be crack in less than a week.
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
This wont stop piracy. All it does is delay the the pirates from uploading it for about a month... Any game can be pirated no matter what very expensive security measures companies may take. Its just a reality that we have to unfortunatly deal with. Alot of the times the people that hack the games know more about programming and how it works then the people that made the game and took security measures to protect it, so what chance does any game have.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I like how VALVe are the ones who view pirates as "unserved customers." They don't see them as a blight, only an untapped market.
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dc337
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I like how VALVe are the ones who view pirates as "unserved customers." They don't see them as a blight, only an untapped market.foxhound_fox
Valve can only make comments like that because most of their games are meant for online play which requires activation.

What about someone who can afford to pay for a game but chooses to pirate anyways? Is that an unserved customer? What about all the people that pirated crysis? They could afford the gaming pc but not the $50 game?

If you don't think piracy is a blight then you are deluding yourself. Pirates don't contribute anything to pc gaming, they just take the work of others without paying for it.

longshotgir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 longshotgir
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts
steam, that is a good way to stop it. all developers should use steam. it is a great service buy games, talk to friends, add a server to ur favorites. it is like a DRM but it is a friendly one. people don't think of it as DRM. u can play the game offline so it isn't so bad.iam2green
boxxy cancer AN HERO.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Valve can only make comments like that because most of their games are meant for online play which requires activation.

What about someone who can afford to pay for a game but chooses to pirate anyways? Is that an unserved customer? What about all the people that pirated crysis? They could afford the gaming pc but not the $50 game?

If you don't think piracy is a blight then you are deluding yourself. Pirates don't contribute anything to pc gaming, they just take the work of others without paying for it.

dc337

There are two major types of pirates. 1) The pirate that swings in from a chandelier with an eye-patch and knife between their teeth... they are the ones who never purchase a single piece of software and take pride in cracking software for other people to pirate. 2) The pirate who downloads said cracked software and is a potential, "unserved" customer.

The first kind of pirate numbers in the few. They populate the dark corners of the internet uploading pirated data to foreign servers and crack software to send to torrent sites. The second kind are what are doing the majority of the pirating, they are from all walks of life and for the most part, generally can afford the games, they just aren't convinced to buy them. They are the pirates VALVe sees as something that with enough incentive, can attract to actually paying for their games.

There is also the third type which is the "incidental pirate" who comes from a non-Western country where the retail releases of those games are either never released or are so late, they are not even worth mentioning. They only pirate software because it is their only option, they aren't even given an opportunity to buy it legally. Which is why services like Steam are so important, just through the internet, they can provide legal ways for people to acquire software at the same time as those in the West without waiting for the retail release.

If, like VALVe, everyone started looking at the "unserved" pirates as something other than a unfixable blight, then there might be some amount of progress towards mending the issue.
Stoner-Pimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stoner-Pimp
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts

Rome total war will be relased both retail and in steam. Retail will also require activation via steam Link. I just cant understand why dont more companies that complain about piracy dont follow this model (released it both retail and digital and require activation via steam or similar service ) instead of implementing DRM solutions like EA which all they do is hurt the end user and hurt game salesadamosmaki
So basically you want companys to stop putting in DRM and get them to use DRM?.

I do use Steam and it's prett ok (all though i hate they way they can change a game whenever they like) BUT it is still DRM.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
every DRM can be broken. However, steam is awesome, acceptable form of DRM and wont cause many complaints like securom would...
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dc337

If, like VALVe, everyone started looking at the "unserved" pirates as something other than a unfixable blight, then there might be some amount of progress towards mending the issue.foxhound_fox
Way to completely avoid my question.

Let me ask again: What about pirates that can afford to buy a game but choose not to? Are you going to tell me that they don't exist?

You seem to be in serious denial about main reason people pirate games/movies/music: because they don't want to pay.

Or perhaps you believe that all the people who pirated world of goo are in fact unserved customers?

They aren't jerks ripping off an independent developer? They would pay the measly $20 if they could?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/acrying-shame-world-of-goo-piracy-rate-near-90.ars

Hope you like online games because that is the direction pc gaming is going thanks to pirates and their defenders like you. The U.S. pc gaming market is basically headed towards being like South Korea where people have money but choose to pirate which results in their game market being dominated by MMORPGs.

-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
Why is this in system wars?
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
What if you dont have access to the internet...does that mean no more PC games for you?
ANeuralPathway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ANeuralPathway
Member since 2008 • 580 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]If, like VALVe, everyone started looking at the "unserved" pirates as something other than a unfixable blight, then there might be some amount of progress towards mending the issue.dc337

Let me ask again: What about pirates that can afford to buy a game but choose not to? Are you going to tell me that they don't exist?

You seem to be in serious denial about main reason people pirate games/movies/music: because they don't want to pay.

Or perhaps you believe that all the people who pirated world of goo are in fact unserved customers?

They aren't jerks ripping off an independent developer? They would pay the measly $20 if they could?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/acrying-shame-world-of-goo-piracy-rate-near-90.ars

Hope you like online games because that is the direction pc gaming is going thanks to pirates and their defenders like you. The U.S. pc gaming market is basically headed towards being like South Korea where people have money but choose to pirate which results in their game market being dominated by MMORPGs.

Independent musicians and movie producers don't exist anymore. And they sure as hell don't make any money.

Hippostrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hippostrike
Member since 2006 • 1014 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]If, like VALVe, everyone started looking at the "unserved" pirates as something other than a unfixable blight, then there might be some amount of progress towards mending the issue.dc337

What about the unsure PC gamers who are wondering about future purchases? Demos for PC games have become a thing of the past leaving people with three options: Buy the game blind and risk the game being crap, pirate the game, or just avoid most commercial games for freeware (the route I take). Just because I can afford games does not mean that I'm going to blindly waste $50 without knowing if the game is any good or not.
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
What if you have no internet connection and just want to play the game?
Metalscarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metalscarz
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts
What if you have no internet connection and just want to play the game?Master-Thief-09
I'd say most people willing to pruchase a PC game like total war have at least some form of internet. And if not, they are in the vast minority of potential PC gamers anyway.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
[QUOTE="dc337"]Valve can only make comments like that because most of their games are meant for online play which requires activation.

foxhound_fox

There are two major types of pirates. 1) The pirate that swings in from a chandelier with an eye-patch and knife between their teeth... they are the ones who never purchase a single piece of software and take pride in cracking software for other people to pirate. 2) The pirate who downloads said cracked software and is a potential, "unserved" customer.

The first kind of pirate numbers in the few. They populate the dark corners of the internet uploading pirated data to foreign servers and crack software to send to torrent sites. The second kind are what are doing the majority of the pirating, they are from all walks of life and for the most part, generally can afford the games, they just aren't convinced to buy them. They are the pirates VALVe sees as something that with enough incentive, can attract to actually paying for their games.

There is also the third type which is the "incidental pirate" who comes from a non-Western country where the retail releases of those games are either never released or are so late, they are not even worth mentioning. They only pirate software because it is their only option, they aren't even given an opportunity to buy it legally. Which is why services like Steam are so important, just through the internet, they can provide legal ways for people to acquire software at the same time as those in the West without waiting for the retail release.

If, like VALVe, everyone started looking at the "unserved" pirates as something other than a unfixable blight, then there might be some amount of progress towards mending the issue.

There is actually a fourth type of pirate: the type who is forced into it not because of cost or uncertainty, but because he can't find what he's looking for anywhere else. Hopefully, more publishers will either (a) make their old games that are off the shelves available as freeware or (b) make said games available on services like Steam or GOG for cheap.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
fear 2 also requires steam for the retail version along with dawn of war 2 it seems steam may be the new secure rom.
Any software program can be patched so that it thinks that the program has been activated when actually it hasn't.BumFluff122
sure it can but steam is much harder to crack than secure rom. and it also kills the second hand market which is good for devs. All games requiring steam is much much better than stupid install limits. steam lets you run the game on as many computers as you like, you just have to be logged into your account.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
There is actually a fourth type of pirate: the type who is forced into it not because of cost or uncertainty, but because he can't find what he's looking for anywhere else. Hopefully, more publishers will either (a) make their old games that are off the shelves available as freeware or (b) make said games available on services like Steam or GOG for cheap.thepwninator

Abandonware is a slightly different issue. It is still technically piracy, but the copyright holders aren't around anymore to press charges. Not to mention plenty developers of those older games have said that they would rather see them pirated then disappear into history.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I like how VALVe are the ones who view pirates as "unserved customers." They don't see them as a blight, only an untapped market.dc337

Honestly, I doubt many of those people that pirated Crysis actually have good gaming PC's. I bet most of them have pretty crappy PC's. That's why they downloaded it instead.
Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#27 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="dc337"]

I like how VALVe are the ones who view pirates as "unserved customers." They don't see them as a blight, only an untapped market.foxhound_fox

Honestly, I doubt many of those people that pirated Crysis actually have good gaming PC's. I bet most of them have pretty crappy PC's. That's why they downloaded it instead.

The fifth type of pirate. If you're not going to see the whole show, why pay the price of admission?
dc337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dc337
[QUOTE="dc337"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I like how VALVe are the ones who view pirates as "unserved customers." They don't see them as a blight, only an untapped market.DragonfireXZ95

Oh right they are all poor souls who really would pay for the game if they could (wipes tears from eyes).

Or more likely they are people that simply don't want to pay for the game so they can spend their money on other things like hardware upgrades or beer.

People pirate because they don't want to pay.

Gaming is a form of luxury entertainment, you don't have a right to it. I'm guessing that a lot of people that defend the pirates are actually pirates themselves. Who else would go to such great lengths to rationalize those who don't support game developers? I'm sure pirates and their defenders would prefer it if everyone looked the other way but devs pay attention when games like the world of goo have a 90% piracy rate.

Like I said before, hope you like playing online because that is currently the best way to deal with the pc piracy problem. Say goodbye to big-budget, single-player pc exclusives.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="Master-Thief-09"]What if you have no internet connection and just want to play the game?Metalscarz
I'd say most people willing to pruchase a PC game like total war have at least some form of internet. And if not, they are in the vast minority of potential PC gamers anyway.

isn't it funny though. People with no internet are the ones least likely to pirate games and yet they become the victim of things. Personally I think the Steam model is the most overrated model there is and doesn't do much against piracy at all, Stardock is way superior to it in every ways.
Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
Im not sure where a lot of you are getting the idea that no steam only games have been cracked or something. every game thats steam only has been cracked. most of the time 1 or 2 days after realease. Steam is just like any other DRM and cracked like any other DRM.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
What if you have no internet connection and just want to play the game?Master-Thief-09
it's not a huge problem as steam only needs to be connected to the internet once then you can run all your games in offline mode and it's not like gta4, fc2 etc don't need an internet connection.
DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

>

^ It's just funny hearing americans talking ignorantly about PC piracy.

Here's a couple of clues, there's always been piracy since the ealry days of gaming.

And not just for PC games.

Now with torrents there's some way to "track" it, but before you couldn't exaclty count the games on floopies/CDs/cartridges/DVDs sold at street corners in central-easthern Europe, Russia, SE Asia and Co.

If anything, right now some people in these regions are actually starting to buy games.

So americans, please stop talking non-sense on things you don't know anything about.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Rome total war will be relased both retail and in steam. Retail will also require activation via steam Link. I just cant understand why dont more companies that complain about piracy dont follow this model (released it both retail and digital and require activation via steam or similar service ) instead of implementing DRM solutions like EA which all they do is hurt the end user and hurt game salesadamosmaki

this is a way to fight piracy how? this wouldnt do a damn thing.