A Foreigner Never Should've Run Sony?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

o0HAPPY0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 o0HAPPY0o
Member since 2007 • 815 Posts

Cats out of the bag!

Howard Stringer is the bossman at Sony, running the show. He's not Japanese, but a Welsh-born American. And according to one former Sony exec, a foreigner never should have run the company.

Koichiro Tsujino, who headed up Sony's Vaio division and was the president of Google Japan until earlier this year, gave a seminar in Tokyo earlier today, attended by New York Times reporter Hiroko Tabuchi.

According to Tabuchi, Tsujino gave a wide array of opinions on his former employer, such as how innovative the company used to be and perfecting hardware before it is released is too slow for the web era. Much of the seminar sounds like Tsujino dispensing words of wisdom to young business people.

Then the U.S.-educated Tsujino stated that Sony "should never have been run by a foreigner." According to Tabuchi, Tsujino refused to elaborate, saying he'll get in trouble. Perhaps Tsujino has his reasons, and perhaps they are well-thought out reasons. Shame he isn't willing to share those reasons.

Rumors were that Sony Japan brought over Stringer from Sony America in order to clean house and fire people. The thinking was that an outsider, who was not firmly entrenched in Sony Japan's corporate politics, would have an easier time making tough decisions.

Late last month, a report surfaced on Bloomberg that Sony is looking at replacing Stringer with one of the possible candidates being Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kazuo Hirai.

Unlike Stringer, Hirai isn't a foreigner.

http://kotaku.com/5712859/former-sony-exec-a-foreigner-never-shouldve-run-sony

dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

drivel

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Stringer has turned around a sinking ship and fired alot of people, I'm sure that doesn't make him popular, especially being from outside of Japan. Can't argue with the numbers before and after his appointment though.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

His idea might make sense if Sony were strictly a Japanese company and not a multinational conglomerate.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Maybe Stringer went Kotick and managed to instill way too much fear :P

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

His idea might make sense if Sony were strictly a Japanese company and not a multinational conglomerate.

worlock77
Imagine how it would sit in the US if Ford appointed a Chinese-born Frenchman as their CEO. Not very well I would think.
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

The way the Japanese industries are set up with the keiretsu system everyone is owned or has a stake in somebody else. This means there are several conflicts of interest and some people who deserve to go might not etc. Since outsiders are generally not entagled in this system, they can make the decisions that others would not make.

youranus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 youranus
Member since 2005 • 162 Posts

if he promises not to interfere with the gamer industrys like capcom konami or ea or anything then i dont care about a console or a leader of the console its the game that makes a console awsome im Turkish and live in Holland its multicultural here and i dont see the problem of a multicultural sony ps4 or 3 or 10 whatever aslong as the games are good as they are ;) peace

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

It wasn't under Stinger that Sony became irrelevant in markets they historically dominated. TV's, Music/MP3 market, and now Videogames which was already set in motion before Howard arrived. Its backward thinking like this that got Sony in trouble.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

blue_hazy_basic

Imagine how it would sit in the US if Ford appointed a Chinese-born Frenchman as their CEO. Not very well I would think.

It'd be hilarious though.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

blue_hazy_basic

We're talking about the opinion of one man here (and an opinion that, frankly, sounds a little like sour grapes), not that of the general public. I'm gonna take a guess and say the Japanese public aren't too miffed about an American running Sony. I could be wrong but I don't get the sense of Japanese being nationalistic-to-the-point-of-stupidity like Americans are.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
so one guy is crying and he gets a thread?
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

We're talking about the opinion of one man here (and an opinion that, frankly, sounds a little like sour grapes), not that of the general public. I'm gonna take a guess and say the Japanese public aren't too miffed about an American running Sony. I could be wrong but I don't get the sense of Japanese being nationalistic-to-the-point-of-stupidity like Americans are.

Errr your terminology is a bit iffy, but you're mistaken about that.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Imagine how it would sit in the US if Ford appointed a Chinese-born Frenchman as their CEO. Not very well I would think.blue_hazy_basic

Errr your terminology is a bit iffy, but you're mistaken about that.

How so?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Cats out of the bag!

Howard Stringer is the bossman at Sony, running the show. He's not Japanese, but a Welsh-born American. And according to one former Sony exec, a foreigner never should have run the company.

Koichiro Tsujino, who headed up Sony's Vaio division and was the president of Google Japan until earlier this year, gave a seminar in Tokyo earlier today, attended by New York Times reporter Hiroko Tabuchi.

According to Tabuchi, Tsujino gave a wide array of opinions on his former employer, such as how innovative the company used to be and perfecting hardware before it is released is too slow for the web era. Much of the seminar sounds like Tsujino dispensing words of wisdom to young business people.

Then the U.S.-educated Tsujino stated that Sony "should never have been run by a foreigner." According to Tabuchi, Tsujino refused to elaborate, saying he'll get in trouble. Perhaps Tsujino has his reasons, and perhaps they are well-thought out reasons. Shame he isn't willing to share those reasons.

Rumors were that Sony Japan brought over Stringer from Sony America in order to clean house and fire people. The thinking was that an outsider, who was not firmly entrenched in Sony Japan's corporate politics, would have an easier time making tough decisions.

Late last month, a report surfaced on Bloomberg that Sony is looking at replacing Stringer with one of the possible candidates being Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kazuo Hirai.

Unlike Stringer, Hirai isn't a foreigner.

http://kotaku.com/5712859/former-sony-exec-a-foreigner-never-shouldve-run-sony

o0HAPPY0o
Kaz is also pretty clueless as well. He was one of the people who agreed with releasing the $600 PS3 as well. Maybe they should hire Kevin Butler. lol!! Sony definitely needs someone else running the show though. Whether they are a foreigner or not.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
The reason they brought in Howard Stringer is that the Japanese leadership, like Ken Kutaragi, resulted in a $600 MSRP console launch with a manufacturing cost of over 900 dollars per unit. Now we have a unit that retails for $300 and costs about that much to make, plus strong software and better marketing than ever before in the form of Kevin Butler. Howard Stringer can scarcely be blamed for the console's hamfisted launch, and he has probably been part of the drive to make the PS3 aggressively priced and marketed while driving down production costs.
AL_GREEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AL_GREEN
Member since 2010 • 953 Posts
Jack Tretton or w/e the guy who runs sony graduated from my school and is hooking me up with a job such a great deal
Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Are you kidding me? You know nothing about japanese nationalism, and quite frankly, its borderline xenophobic in some cases, its alot worse than the US. Heck why would they say that Sony should not be run by a foreigner, by couldn't they have said just Stinger, why does his birthplace matter. Why would they even mentioning him being foreign?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Imagine how it would sit in the US if Ford appointed a Chinese-born Frenchman as their CEO. Not very well I would think.Sandvichman

Are you kidding me? You know nothing about japanese nationalism, and quite frankly, its borderline xenophobic in some cases, its alot worse than the US. Heck why would they say that Sony should not be run by a foreigner, by couldn't they have said just Stinger, why does his birthplace matter. Why would they even mentioning him being foreign?

They didn't. One guy (who was fired under the American in question's watch) did.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Jack Tretton or w/e the guy who runs sony graduated from my school and is hooking me up with a job such a great dealAL_GREEN
Wow what a nice guy...
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
He's right corporate racism should be used everywhere !! :roll:
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

It wasn't under Stinger that Sony became irrelevant in markets they historically dominated. TV's, Music/MP3 market, and now Videogames which was already set in motion before Howard arrived. Its backward thinking like this that got Sony in trouble.

Fizzman
I agree. I have heard rumors that Sony Japan's executive are very traditionalist and often get in the way of other divisions' ideas. In fact, I believe that the only reason we don't have Cross game chat on PSN yet is because the Japanese Headquarters don't prioritize it enough. I remember an article about some Europeen or American Sony staff saying something like this. This kind of thing also got them behind in other markets.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

He's right corporate racism should be used everywhere !! :roll:Sp4rtan_3

That's not racism. However it's still discrimination, not sure what he means by it, sony is doing extremely well especially considering how they started this gen.

gamerfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerfan85
Member since 2009 • 652 Posts

thatsracistkid.gif