A dip in PlayStation sales but also a dip in Sony's losses

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

So, not so Doomed after all? :o

Or, just not going broke as fast as we thought ? :P

A powahfull PS4 could be back on track.

Anyway, discuss if you wish.

The story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-01-a-dip-in-playstation-sales-but-also-a-dip-in-sonys-losses

How's Kaz Hirai doing?

PlayStation sales are slouching, particularly handheld, but Sony's more streamlined business appears to be paying off (tell that to the 10,000 staff to be laid off by March 2013).

Last year during the months July, August and September, Sony sold a combined 4.9 million PS2 and PS3 consoles. This year that number was 3.5 million.

Last year during those months, Sony sold 1.7 million PSP and Vita handhelds. This year that number was a slightly lower 1.6 million.

Sony lowered its expectations for PSP and Vita by 2 million, down to 10 million for the full year. The PS2 and PS3 full-year total remains the same at 16 million.

kaz

It's another opportunity to use this, perhaps the best picture of Kaz Hirai there will ever be.

Nevertheless, Sony expects to make the same amount of money because operation costs are lower. Presumably this is down to Sony's restructuring under Kaz Hirai and maybe the lower manufacturing costs of the new PS3 super duper Slim, introduced late September.

Looking ahead, Sony said: "In the Game business, Sony is working to further expand the PS3 platform through measures such as the introduction of a new, smaller and lighter model with a larger capacity HDD. Sony is also working to further spread the PS Vita platform, which Sony introduced last year, through various measures such as the introduction of an attractive software line-up.

"Sony also acquired US-based Gaikai Inc. in August 2012. Through this acquisition, Sony aims to provide users with interactive entertainment experiences by establishing a new cloud service."

Sony's Game (PlayStation) segment made $1.9 billion during the quarter - almost exactly the same amount Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division (Xbox) totted for the same period.

PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October.

(Members of NeoGAF have compiled loads of Sony versus Nintendo versus Microsoft sales numbers. Most I've verified but not all - they look pretty on the mark.)

Sony as a whole made ¥1.6 trillion ($20 billion / £12.4 billion), an improvement of 1.9 per cent. The consolidation of the Sony Ericsson business into the new Sony Mobile segment helped bump numbers up.

The bottom line was a net loss of ¥15.5 billion ($337 million / £208 million), down from ¥27 billion during the same period last year.

Nothing happened of note in the conference call, in case you were wondering

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44018 Posts

I already did this thread, but yours is better. sts106mat
:oops: mah bad, didn't see it and nah, I trust your thread was well done and likely better. :P

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
I already did this thread, but yours is better. sts106mat
Though yours (the one that has more "doom appeal") will likely get more responses.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6946 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="sts106mat"]I already did this thread, but yours is better. sts106mat

:oops: mah bad, didn't see it and nah, I trust your thread was well done and likely better. :P

nah it wasn't, yours is way better. Mine was a typical rush job, i've been in the halo 4 thread most of the day. I couldn't work out the sales totals for the PS3, was hoping delta might have an idea, but it looks like he's offline.

The last quarter that PS3 and PS2 sales were separated was Jan - Mar 2012. In that quarter PS2 sales were 24% of combined PS2 + PS3 sales. That ratio has been slowly declining every quarter as the PS2 rides off into the sunset.

You could apply a 20% discount to the combined sales for this quarter to estimate the PS3 portion. That estimate will be good enough because statistically +/- 5 to 10% is going to be a rounding error on the 65M+ lifetime sales.

So, 2.8 million units is a good estimate for the PS3 sales last quarter. Whether it is 100K or 200K greater or lesser than that is really irrelevant in the big picture.

For reference MS KPI for Jul - Sep was 1.7M.

The same principle can be applied to the combined reported Apr - Jun numbers (which I did in a few threads a couple weeks back where I explained this to Elstupido err...I mean tormentos).

I'll let you do the combined LTD math...dun dun dun.... (hint: it is a Sony gain so far this yr of >2.0 M and most likely > 2.5 M)

And here are the two links you need..nothing else is necessary (except you need Sony LTD as of Dec 31 2011 as a starting point for the full LTD numbers).

Sony

MS

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lol
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

HEY! we didn't lose AS MUCH money this time..... HOORAY!

I don't see this as any sort of win for Sony.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22617 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lol

Sooo we actually dont know the global ps3 sales? Interesting. Sony has got to be exhausted with putting out fire after fire.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lolTheEroica
Sooo we actually dont know the global ps3 sales? Interesting. Sony has got to be exhausted with putting out fire after fire.

Not exactly no, but you can guess that the PS3 accounts for about 5 mil of that 6.3 give or take a couple of 100k.

Meeeper282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Meeeper282
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lolblue_hazy_basic

ps3 most likely did 80% of those numbers, ps2 is practically dead now.

although it will always be the greatest console ever

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lolMeeeper282

Yea, thats why I said the PS3 is prob around 5 mil of that figure.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lolblue_hazy_basic

Not exactly no, but you can guess that the PS3 accounts for about 5 mil of that 6.3 give or take a couple of 100k.

So then unless sony released an actual number then its all speculation. I liked that all consoles were successful this generation, and im even more glad that the three companies are dogfighting next gen even more than ever... hopefully will equate to win for gamers. Tough to say though considering this industry changed more than ever this gen alone.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"PS3 lifetime sales have been impossible to specifically calculate since Sony started lumping PS3 and PS2 sales together in April. As of March 2012 the specific global total was 63.9 million. In the six months since, PS3 and PS2 have combined to sell 6.3 million units. Microsoft announced a new global Xbox 360 total of 70 million in October." lolMeeeper282

Meh... snes brought me more joy.
Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

So what do you think will happen 1t: JohneyMK claiming 360 is 7 million ahead or Tormy apinning the humbers a, claiming both are tied and then stating he doesn't care about sales figures?

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

They just sold a chemical company for $425M which made many think that they would post a profit, yet they still post a loss of $200. :|

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Oh wow, only $337 million loss for the quarter. Sony will be back on top in no time.