A Compelling Case For Nintendo To Go Third Party (Long Read)

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@nintendoboy16

Listening to any gamer is bad for business, as far as I'm concerned we're all morons and Companies shouldn't bother. They'l be alot better off in the end.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Functionally, what exactly is so great about the Wii U controller? What Nintendo game uses it so well that it couldn't be done on any other platform, with any other controller?

GBA games on a glorious large controller screen. And then there's off screen play. And don't say Vita because that's a $200 peripheral.

Also, The Wonderful 101 would have to be re-worked without the Wii U pad. There are moments were you have to look at the controller to proceed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#53 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

GBA games on a glorious large controller screen. And then there's off screen play. And don't say Vita because that's a $200 peripheral.

But the GBA games don't need the Wii U Pad is what I am saying. Yes, it plays them, and yes, I agree with you, the Wii U VC is the best way to play GBA games, no two ways about it. But the Wii U Pad could cease to exist and be erased from history tomorrow, and those GBA games would still exist and be playable on the Wii U VC.

The Vita has its own separate issues that I'll deal with some time later.

@nintendoboy16 said:

I'm sure there is. Because as far as I'm concerned, this "demand" for Nintendo to go third party is nothing more than what internet forum goers are asking for. Hardly anybody else outside it (where they'll likely not care as much). Besides that, I was told that listening to forum goers is a bad way for business.

Good thing this is not just something forum goers tell them, then.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#54 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts
@charizard1605 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I'm sure there is. Because as far as I'm concerned, this "demand" for Nintendo to go third party is nothing more than what internet forum goers are asking for. Hardly anybody else outside it (where they'll likely not care as much). Besides that, I was told that listening to forum goers is a bad way for business.

Good thing this is not just something forum goers tell them, then.

Not enough of those people I imagine.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Bigboi500

I know that stuff is not necessary, but you have to consider the Nintendo fans. A lot of them would be hesitant to support Sony or Microsoft, so sales would be bound to suffer.

It would just be a lot of trouble, and despite low sales of their hardware, I do believe they make money more often than they lose it and hardware sales would have to be a factor. It seems hard to believe they'd make more money by just selling software.

And then there's the risk of these companies going south and leaving Nintendo without a platform for their games. If anything, PC would be the only viable platform if they could cut out pirating somehow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Bigboi500 said:

I know that stuff is not necessary, but you have to consider the Nintendo fans. A lot of them would be hesitant to support Sony or Microsoft, so sales would be bound to suffer.

It would just be a lot of trouble, and despite low sales of their hardware, I do believe they make money more often than they lose it and hardware sales would have to be a factor. It seems hard to believe they'd make more money by just selling software.

And then there's the risk of these companies going south and leaving Nintendo without a platform for their games. If anything, PC would be the only viable platform if they could cut out pirating somehow.

I already do mention the best case course is for Nintendo to support the PC. If they do decide to support the PS4 and Xbox One at all, it should be as a transitional phase while they shore up their finances and development for the inevitable exodus to PC gaming that isn't too far out in the future.

Piracy on PC isn't that big an issue- look at Blizzard's games, for example, they are very hard to pirate. Those who pirate Nintendo's stuff on PC are the ones who play it right now on Dolphin with illegal ISOs anyway (this is not taking a jab at those people who play it on Dolphin legally).

Nintendo fans are ultimately fans of the company's culture and their games- things that can stay intact even if Nintendo do decide to transition to third party. As long as Nintendo maintains its standard of development quality, wherever they go, the fans will follow.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Bigboi500

You may be right, but I just don't see them doing that. Who knows? I could be wrong. Honestly, I wish all my favorite games were on one unified system like PC, but *sigh*, that isn't the case. Maybe one day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Bigboi500 said:

You may be right, but I just don't see them doing that. Who knows? I could be wrong. Honestly, I wish all my favorite games were on one unified system like PC, but *sigh*, that isn't the case. Maybe one day.

We're getting there. Slowly. The demand for dedicated hardware, for good or for bad, is slowly dying out, and a case will be harder and harder to make for it soon enough.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Nintendo just needs to sop chasing the gimmicks, and make a serious game console. I would hate to see Nintendo go third party. They would just become another Sega.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

In a World where consoles are going away (changing into services) I would like to see Nintendo leave as the last one. The Wii U catch alot of flak form alot of people WHO in reality want a pc (that is what the PS4 and X1 is essensially, same genres that has always been dominating the pc platform, same functionality) but reality is that the Wii U is the only console I can look at and claim is a console, without half laughing when I say it.

Consoles as they are now are getting obsolete yes, but what a wonderful exit of that form factor to have Nintendo be the last one out. The symbolic value would be awesome :D

Fanboyism, and dissapointment for what consoles have become aside, I think Nintendo would benefit with holding out in the console hardware a bit longer, Sony and MS will be quick to jump to a streaming service, alot of people would not feel as safe or like the notion, so Nintendo if releasing a few more consoles stubbornly, might get a fairly big adoption rate.

But in the end you are right TC, I think what we might see (and this is no joke). Is a third party Hardware solution (steambox being the obvious example here). With MS Sony and Nintendo all having a service on. If not TVs solve thier relatively lackluster hardware.

My guess as how the Nintendo "console" (and sony and ms consoles aswell) will look in a few gens, would likely be a pack with a controller (or more). with the basic program and password to set up an account (and a few digital games bundles) that you simply install like you would a game in prior generations (yup I really do think that they will still sell us controllers even when they no longer sell the console, mostly due to the games likely made for something Akin to that, aswell as giving a resemblence of differnece between them).

I am not sure as it would qualify as third party exactly though, but some odd gray area.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I think it's stupid. Nintendo is the only company keeping traditional console gaming alive.

What Nintendo needs is a powerful marketing department that actually takes third party's seriously.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nintendo's "incredibly well-managed"? What in God's name gives you this impression? Three years of consecutive losses that amount to near a billion dollars lost? If they are so well managed, why would they need to go third party at all? MS and Sony are doing fine, Nintendo isn't. That a difference in managerial competence, which Nintendo sorely lacks at present in various areas of its business. With the heads in charge now, I don't think Nintendo could be successful selling lemonade. Their management is an utter joke.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bigboi500

@MirkoS77 said:

MS and Sony are doing fine, Nintendo isn't.

LOL what have you been smoking?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo's "incredibly well-managed"? What in God's name gives you this impression? Three years of consecutive losses that amount to near a billion dollars lost? If they are so well managed, why would they need to go third party at all? MS and Sony are doing fine, Nintendo isn't. That a difference in managerial competence, which Nintendo sorely lacks at present in various areas of its business. With the heads in charge now, I don't think Nintendo could be successful selling lemonade. Their management is an utter joke.

You're looking at a microcosmic picture, I am looking at the bigger picture. Nintendo is good with its spending of money, that is what I mean by 'well managed.' They wouldn't go bankrupt and then be bought out by some other entity, as happened with Atari and Sega (and which caused them and their games to go into the shitter). Please pay attention to the context of the post.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

No Nintendo shouldn't. And making games for someone else means adjusting games for that entity. Not creating your own vision. Plus I'd imagine many of the creative teams would probably just retire. Which further erodes the games. I'm actually surprised a Nintendo fan would want that to happen.

SEGA hasn't been the same since going the route. Don't wish it on Nintendo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@farrell2k said:

Damn, all I see is cows, lemmings, and hermits begging for Nintendo games.

A 32GB WiiU is $200 through Nintendo's online store. No need to beg.

So which one of these am I?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@LJS9502_basic said:

No Nintendo shouldn't. And making games for someone else means adjusting games for that entity. Not creating your own vision. Plus I'd imagine many of the creative teams would probably just retire. Which further erodes the games. I'm actually surprised a Nintendo fan would want that to happen.

SEGA hasn't been the same since going the route. Don't wish it on Nintendo.

I address all these points in the OP.

@farrell2k said:

Neither. You're likely a shermit like me who is suggesting it, being able to see the unfortunate writing on the wall. Big difference between the beggars and those who reluctantly push Nintendo to other systems out of true concern for the company for all the happiness and wonder it has given us for so many decades.

Fair enough.

I just know where this industry is headed, and want Nintendo to be progressive and take the jump for a change, instead of being dragged screaming and kicking.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Legend002 said:

No thanks. I don't want to be charged for playing Mario Kart online.

How about playing it on a proper online network period?

@osan0 said:

@charizard1605: moving to the PC with their own store front is an interesting proposition. it gives them many of the beneifts of having their own console (they can conduct their business as they see fit rather than as MS/sony dictate, make their own devices for the PC if they wish, price their own content as they want and so on).

but its not without issues. if nintendo wanted to make a gamepad like device for the PC it would pose a challenge for example. there is no standard on the PC (that i know of, correct me if im wrong) that allows the level of integration nintendo required for the gamepad. windows itslef is not designed with that functionality in mind. so nintendo would probably have to make some sort of cusom USB dongle that people would need for the gamepad. this would require its own set of drivers and those drivers would need to be tested on various hardware and software setups. a new console is a chance to start with a clean slate. nintendo take advantage of this unique element of the console market more than anyone else. granted the gamepad is probably the exception though. something like the wiimote and nunchuck would have been very easy to make for the PC.

the other issue with that is that PC gaming, unfortunately, is tiny in japan which is a stronghold for nintendo. sure nintendo moving could give PC gaming a shot in the arm in japan but then all nintendo would be doing is selling other companies hardware. an odd decision.

nintendo would also need to restructure themselves as a PC developer (even fi they want to be multiplat the PC and PC thinking is the place to start) which would require a complete rethink about how it does business. the level of DRM nintendo uses would be deemed completely unacceptable on the PC. you think ubisoft get flack? just see what happens if nintendo try to pull something off that is far more draconian. the nintendo platform, as a whole, has the most brutal and backward DRM system in existance. maybe they will be smarter than that if they move to the PC....but how willing are nintendo to give up some control (and lets not be under any illusion here...nintendo would have to give up some control). nintendo have next to no experience in developing PC games. they would be in the same position as from software starting out...perhaps even worse. long delays would be the norm as nintendos own developers try and get the latest mario running at an optimal rate on their target hardware.

they also have no concept on building up gaming communities (the miiverse is nothing to write home about). compare them to CD projekt red, obsidian, bioware in the early days. nintendo do not even have this as a notion, never mind a concept. it is absolutely essential to have this working if you want any chance of success on the PC. communities are at the absolute core of fostering success on the PC. again a big cultural shift from the console world.

then there are the other competitors on the PC: steam of course but also others such as GMG and GOG. it is very difficult to get people to shift or even try other services. MS gave up, EA are trying but with limited success and others have their own niches. nintendo could make an interesting proposition by making the entire nintendo catalogue available (+ possibly anything released on the VC/wiiware from 3rd parties....licencing issues there though) and requiring a unique gaming device to be able to play those games...but that could also just shoot themselves in the foot.

some of the problems you highlight with their hardware, the hardware restriction, the motion controls, i dont think nintendo sees these as restrictions/problems (with the possible exception of the wiiu) either. nintendo hardware is built for nintendo and nintendos needs (one of the reasons they still struggle to get 3rd parties interested). for the next zelda, metroid, fzero (please ninty), or whatever the wiiu and 3DS serve their requirements just fine. remember that nintendo do not and will not spend 100 million on massive projects that take advantage of the latest and greatest tech. they have made technically impressive games in the past but they never bet the farm on it. i dont think their own developers hated the wiimote and nunchuck or the fact that the wii was only 2X as powerfula st eh gamecube....on the contrary i think they found it very interesting. the wiiu is the only nintendo platform i can think of where nintendos own developers seem to be resistant to it (im not sure what happened internally with the philopophy of that console).

what about the handheld market? there is not one single mobile/tablet device on the market that is acceptable for gaming. not one. they are all, without exception, garbage (especially for nintendos own games). sure they have plenty of horsepower but they dont have the other functions nexcessary to make them good gaming devices. bolting on a controller is an unacceptable compromise. the only other device that is a great handheld gaming device is the vita....but then you are back to the same problem. all nintendo would be doing is selling vitas. why would they do that? there is no suitable PC equivelant in the mobile market.

When you say Gamepad, do you mean the current Wii U controller? Because that controller, as good as it is, is ultimately meaningless and pointless, and I do fully anticipate Nintendo themselves just dropping it with the successor. It serves no purpose other than to shore up the costs (and to cause a negative perception and image to be associated with the console), and to create unnecessary pressure on developers to utilize it in some way.

As for Japan, currently, any and all forms of gaming in Japan are tiny. The industry is in a transitional phase there. Nintendo, as one of its biggest and most influential players, has the chance of dictating where it goes, and honestly, moving towards PC would be a swell idea.

I don't think the development will be as difficult as you are making it out to be. Most Nintendo games first get target renders and concept demos on PC hardware before they are greenlit. The developers are well aware and acquainted with programming for PC. Sure, there would be some issues, some learning period, but I really don't think it will be as long nor as destructive as you seem to think it will be. That, plus, as mentioned above, the industry is moving towards a console-less client based gaming future. If Nintendo wants to survive in this industry, it will have to make the transition sooner or later, so they might as well start trying now, and get over the messy transition ahead of time, that way they have a head start on the rest of the industry.

I am not saying that Nintendo's developers have any issues with Nintendo's consoles- Nintendo is too insular for that. But I am pointing out that Nintendo's games would be incredible on something like a PS4 or a PC, not hamstrung or handicapped by ridiculous requirements or deficiencies.

As for competition for storefronts on PCs, sure, there is competition in that Nintendo can never hope to have the one stop to go store for PC gaming such as Steam. However, just mandating that you use their own (hopefully unobstrusive, such as GoG) store for their games doesn't sound too bad at all. Remember, companies like Riot and Blizzard still use their own clients for their own games, and people do not mind that at all. My assumption is Nintendo's games would fall under that category, because their client would exist only for their games, they wouldn't go out of the way to poach third parties like EA.

The handheld market is an interesting conundrum in that in the immediate future, I don't think or see much of a future there. For now, smartphones and tablets will be the go to handheld game devices, and maybe Nintendo can experiment with putting some of their older games on Android or something (via their own storefront, so Google doesn't get a revenue split). That said, an alternative is to continue selling their own low cost handheld by the side, at least until the trends of the market become clearer. Unfortunately, currently, the mobile and handheld market is too stuck in a limbo for me to make any assessment either way. Nintendo too might want to wait it out and watch.

i think you are underestimating just how difficult it would be for nintendos developers to make the move. if you have a link to show otherwise then do please provide but i have never seen a nintendo demo running on a PC at a gameshow. i have for other platform holders (because it makes sense for them to have a PC build now) but i have yet to see it for a nintendo game. i have only seen dev kits. the games are built on PC of course but i would be very surprised if they have any render code for PC in their engines. the PC is a moving target. nintendo have never developed for a moving target (well ok there was mario teaches typing back in the 90s :P). they struggeled (and continue to struggle. no AA in MK8 for example) with the upgrades from the wii to the wiiu. it would take a monumental effort to get up to speed on the PC, PS4 and X1 in such a short space of time.

on the point of nintendos games being incredible on PS4...yea they would be. as incredible as they are on the wiiu. do you think nintendo would be prepared to put in the extra expense necessary to get the best out of the PC, PS4 and X1? again...not a 80million dollar per game operation (killzone 2 had a budget of 40 million and costs double from one gen to the next roughly). its all to easy to say "ah sure it has loads of cores and a big beefy GPU...the games should look loads better" but it costs money to get those resources working. a lot of money. money, i would argue, nintendo is not prepared to spend even on their top tier titles. what you call handicapping nintendo call controlling costs. an advantage to making their own console. failing to max out an X1 or PS4 is unacceptable (going by the amounf of flack devs are taking at the moment from that sector of the market).

on the storefront. if they can be like GOG then great but i just dont see nintendo being like that. the DRM would be brutal (as in tying the purchases to your PC type brutal....thats what they are currently doing on their devices). modding would be strictly forbidden (as in your account gets locked for even using mods, never mind trying to mod yourself). nintendo are also rubbish at serivces and, more importantly, community building. thats what GOG and steam are and they are very good at it. nintendo have no idea about services...they are a gaming platform company and they dont have the experience to be an effective services company. MS and sony can do it because they have been doing it long before the PS1 and first xbox were a twinkle in those companies eyes.

from nintendos standpoint it comes down to this. if i go 3rd party and i hit gold like i did with the wii then all i will do is sell other peoples hardware, promote their services and improve their platform. why when i have my own? once a company leaves the console market it is very very difficult to get back in.

nintendo just need to get focused on what it is they actually want to do. if they want 3rd party support then they need to provide the console and infrastructure to entice them. if they dont want 3rd party support then they need to expand their development capacity themselves...buy more studios, fund more projects etc. they need to give a persuasive argument as to why people who are buying a second gaming platform should choose the nintendo one as well as giving a good argument as to why people should buy one at all. the best way to do that is by building one hell of an exclusive library with a more diverse selection of games (and in fairness the wiiu and 3ds have a pretty diverse selection.

nintendo themselves know they have made an almighty mess and a deadfully bad call with the wiiu (and the 3DS. its doing OK but nintendo made bad calls on that also). its a complete missfire. the gamepad is not a seller. the price was all wrong and the content does not justify the gamepads existance. i absolutely agree that there is not one single game yet on the wiiu that actually make good use of the gamepad. i do think it has a lot of potential (watchdogs would have been a better game as a wiiu exclusive i would argue and something like elite dangerous would make great use of a second screen. hell im mostly a PC gamer and would be very tempted with a wiiu version of elite over the PC version if the gamepad was well integrated) but the types of games nintendo makes dont need a second screen. it just makes the decisions around the wiiu very odd.

but its not enough of a reason to get out of the console market from nintendos standpoint. its damage control this gen and try something new again for the next. wouldnt be the first time and it wont be the last time this happens.

if nintendo do this gen what sony did last gen (short up first party strength and just limit the damage) then it wont be so bad. they need a lot more developers and they just need to limit the damage now (no price cuts for a while...no point). they need to get themselves into a position where they can better support both of their platforms next gen.

i think they also need to keep a closer ear to the ground in terms of games devs would like to make but cant. bayonetta 2 is one example but they need to keep ears to the ground the world over. focus on areas where nintendo currently dont do much (and on games that could make very nice use of the second screen, like elite dangerous). make a platform that doesnt cost the earth, moon and stars to make games on and be prepared to put a few million into these types of games. they wont be chart topping mega billion bucks games (though who knows...anyone see minecraft coming? or demon souls?) but they could scratch a few itches for many gamers which, in turn, does nicely for nintendos name. find 100 niches yet to be filled instead of just going for the one hit, get them on the nintendo platform exclusively and things could look a lot better.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I think it's stupid. Nintendo is the only company keeping traditional console gaming alive.

What Nintendo needs is a powerful marketing department that actually takes third party's seriously.

3rd party support will not save Nintendo's consoles because they been distanced from it for so long people will just keep flocking to PS and Xbox when it comes to it.

Nintendo as a console manufacturer will never enjoy success again unless they go the Wii way again. I mean, the N64 was a failure, the GC was a failure, the Wii wasn't a failure because Nintendo duped the mass market, Wii U went back to being a failure. And even then the reason Nintendo came up with the Wii U was because they wanted to recapture the core because even though the Wii had over 100 million sales its software sales were abysmal. And this was said by both, Miyamoto and Iwata themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Gue1 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

3rd party support will not save Nintendo's consoles because they been distanced from it for so long people will just keep flocking to PS and Xbox when it comes to it.

Nintendo as a console manufacturer will never enjoy success again unless they go the Wii way again. I mean, the N64 was a failure, the GC was a failure, the Wii wasn't a failure because Nintendo duped the mass market, Wii U went back to being a failure. And even then the reason Nintendo came up with the Wii U was because they wanted to recapture the core because even though the Wii had over 100 million sales its software sales were abysmal. And this was said by both, Miyamoto and Iwata themselves.

Wii's software sales were amazing, it sold more than 900 million units of software. The only other systems in history that moved more software were the PS2 and DS.

Miyamoto and Iwata wanted sustained software sales, as the Wii's began to die out by 2010.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Lol, no, just no.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#74 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

One thin I don't think will happen is Nintendo going third party willingly. I can think of two scenarios where Nintendo or its IP will go third party

1. Bankruptcy- Nintendo may be in better shape than Sony or Microsoft when it comes to debt. However, it is also dealing with a shrinking market on both fronts and it is posting losses for the past three years (since the 3DS launched). When bankruptcy happens, or the threat of it looms, either IP gets auctioned off or...

2. Buyout or merger- Even when Nintendo is posting losses for the past three years, it's IP is still considered valuable enough to be worth acquiring. When a company is looking into video gaming, someone like Google. Samsung, Apple or Valve would be looking into acquiring Nintendo.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Please charizard, I ask you, what makes YOU knowledgeable about how Nintendo should market their games, what franchises they should reboot, what consoles they should sell them on and how they should sell them?

When you contribute to a gaming company's successes in even the slightest way, earning yourself even the tiniest amount of credibility in the gaming world, I might listen to you, but for now...DID NOT READ.....I'm gonna go play some games on my Wii U and have fun with it while you sit on the computer arguing with randoms....

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Please charizard, I ask you, what makes YOU knowledgeable about how Nintendo should market their games, what franchises they should reboot, what consoles they should sell them on and how they should sell them?

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Diamond and Pearl sold 18 million in four years. Black and White sold 13 million in two years. X and Y sold 12 million, and it hasn't even been a year. Tell me which game is selling more here.

Super Mario 3D World has sold to roughly a third of the install base. it has a 33% attach rate. Any further performance is limited by the install base, even you should be able to understand that. It can't sell more than there are consoles to run it (your number is from months ago, btw). It's 33% attach rate, incidentally, is right in line with the attach rate of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, and more than Super Mario 3D Land.

Sales are dictating that gamers don't want to buy a Nintendo to play two or three games. Not that they don't want Nintendo's games period. That is all, that is all these sales trend are demonstrating, not some unbacked, unsubstantiated doomsday complex that for some reason you seem to cling to pretty hard, convinced that Nintendo are doomed to failure, and no one outside a rapidly dwindling core fanbase likes them, really.

There's little update on how X and Y is selling (and 3D World for that matter). Just because X and Y sold better in a certain shorter time, doesn't mean it sold better in the overall scheme of things. Are you forgetting how important the lifetime sales are?

Despite that, sales of 3D World were succeeded by Mario Kart 8 and while you say that it's a system seller, that's STILL not saying much.

The sales demonstrate WAY more than people's refusal to buy certain hardware, especially when that hardware is what sells these games to begin with.

No, that's where you are wrong entirely. People don't buy Nintendo games because they have Nintendo hardware, they buy Nintendo hardware because they want to play Nintendo games. Nintendo's own games aside, there is no appeal to their hardware whatsoever, at all.

Just had to quote this real quick. You saying there is "no appeal outside of Nintendo's own games" is not true. That is YOUR opinion. The Wii U feels good in my hands, are you truly going to argue that with me? Seriously you are truly pathetic and can hardly call yourself a gamer.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#77 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@mariokart97: Good for you, however, your enjoyment is irrelevant to the state of Nintendo and it's future growth for investment.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#78 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Of a few major problems I have with this, here's one of them. Like Chris Kohler (WIRED) and Sean Malstrom have said, interest in their IP's is dying. With that in mind, how the hell do you expect them to survive on even other people's hardware?

This is idiot logic and you know it.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I remember stating something just like this before and getting flamed like crazy for it.

Really a 3rd party Nintendo would be godly, no longer having to worry about hardware restrictions, just making damn good games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I hope they never go third party. if anything they should focus completely on handhelds. they're the only console maker that is doing their own thing. MS and Sony are doing their best to make shitty PCs.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'd be intrigued to see what would happen if Nintendo just focused on one piece of hardware as opposed to two. Maybe not having to try and balance between two systems, and just being able to put all of their focus, developing, marketing, etc. on one single system would be beneficial?

Although I do like the idea of Nintendo having their own client on PC.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 jg4xchamp
@mems_1224 said:

I hope they never go third party. if anything they should focus completely on handhelds. they're the only console maker that is doing their own thing. MS and Sony are doing their best to make shitty PCs.

Them going third party means we don't have to worry about them doing their own shitty thing. Their own thing is shitty, it has never been good, it has always been atrocious.

If they go third party we get glorious Mario, Metroid, and the like on hardware that doesn't suck, Nintendo's highly talented roster of studios working on hardware and interfaces that are worth using.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#83 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

I think Nintendo will keep making consoles. Although they're so resistant to change and being progressive to the gaming industry as of lately, I have a hard time believing they will go the third party developer route, especially after what they witnessed Sega's downfall. I think their closed-mindedness to online gameplay and underpowered hardware really has screwed them over this gen, they need to restructure their brand messaging as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I remember stating something just like this before and getting flamed like crazy for it.

Really a 3rd party Nintendo would be godly, no longer having to worry about hardware restrictions, just making damn good games.

Perchance, was I one of the people who flamed you? :p

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

it would be awesome. Yea i havent enjoyed the nintendo consoles since the gc but i wouldnt mind playing fire emblem and pokemon on my ps4/ xb1 =)

edit: but i think there is still a place for them to compete with handheld/mobile platforms

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Nintendo (home) consoles don't sell. The days of the NES and SNES are long gone. The Wii was a fluke that will never repeat itself. The Wii U will sell less than the Gamecube (as it should, it's a piece of crap), just like the Gamecube sold less than the N64.

Is going third-party the solution? Maybe. I would definitely buy Fire Emblem or Zelda for one of my other consoles. I don't want them to end up like SEGA, though, so it must be done properly...

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Perchance, was I one of the people who flamed you? :p

I think you may have, lol.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#88  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

As a consumer I would dislike seeing hardware innovation disappear on a console level. As someone who appreciates games I would dislike seeing Sony and MS tearing Nintendo to bits. I wrote this before reading your post and agree with a lot of things you say. I would rather see them develop solely for PC without being submitted to Sony and MS policies and shady deals. They could create controllers for the PC and make PC games that you can play with those controllers. Maybe they can collaborate with Valve and be the standard Steam controller.

It is true that consoles are disappearing. And it would be smart to be prepared for it and act before it's too late. The Nintendo consoles have the opportunity to outlast the Sony and MS gaming consoles, that doesn't make it wise to wait till that time comes, if ever. I half expected consoles to tank this generation. Now I more than half expect them to tank the next generation. I don't really know when they should do something, and whether they (and everyone else) should give up on the idea of a console. That's a big call.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732

@KungfuKitten said:

They could create controllers for the PC and make PC games that you can play with those controllers. Maybe they can collaborate with Valve and be the standard Steam controller.

Please God, NO! Nintendo haven't made a decent controller since the Gamecube. Worst case scenario we'd end up with another GamePad. Please, just no. Stay the heck away from my Steam.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#90 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

@KungfuKitten said:

They could create controllers for the PC and make PC games that you can play with those controllers. Maybe they can collaborate with Valve and be the standard Steam controller.

Please God, NO! Nintendo haven't made a decent controller since the Gamecube. Worst case scenario we'd end up with another GamePad. Please, just no. Stay the heck away from my Steam.

The Wii and Wii U controllers are comfy and work well for me. I don't like having to keep my hands close together like a prisoner. I suppose we disagree.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:

Them going third party means we don't have to worry about them doing their own shitty thing. Their own thing is shitty, it has never been good, it has always been atrocious.

If they go third party we get glorious Mario, Metroid, and the like on hardware that doesn't suck, Nintendo's highly talented roster of studios working on hardware and interfaces that are worth using.

Dude, Mario and Zelda games already look amazing on the Wii U. Nintendo games have never been about or needed powerful hardware. Going 3rd party and releasing shit on multiple platforms would probably hurt them more than help. Look at the garbage Sega is releasing now a days even though they have a few great franchises. Nintendo going third party means all we get is yearly mario party and shitty new super mario bros because thats all thats going to sell. At least now with their own hardware they're forced to try weird and crazy shit because they need to attract people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@hernandezzzz said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Have you heard of this excellent controller called the Wii U Pad? It's amazing, you should look into it.

@KungfuKitten, I do agree with the gist of what you say. I don't expect the decline of consoles to be apparent immediately, but I think that the cumulative install base of consoles this generation shall be lower than what it was last generation, and most likely, lower than even the generation before that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732

@charizard1605 said:

@hernandezzzz said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Have you heard of this excellent controller called the Wii U Pad? It's amazing, you should look into it.

The Wii U GamePad? Yes, I just mentioned it. It's at the top of my "worst controller ever made" list, so I guess in a sense you can say it's a winner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@hernandezzzz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@hernandezzzz said:

@KungfuKitten said:

The Wii U GamePad? Yes, I just mentioned it. It's at the top of my "worst controller ever made" list, so I guess in a sense you can say it's a winner.

Apologies, I meant to say Wii U Pro.

This is what I am talking about:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5b0367b217732

Ah yes, I've used that one quite a bit. The D-pad is good. Everything else... is not.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Is this before or after Microsoft pulls out?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Silverbond said:

Is this before or after Microsoft pulls out?

Everyone pulls out. Hopefully Nintendo is the first.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

By the time streaming would be viable, the cost for hardware to play the same games would be so cheap it may even be built into tv's.

When will internet be good enough that games will feel as responsive as they do with dedicated hardware?

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

I don't particularly care for Nintendo or their franchises. I wouldn't get a Wii U for Nintendo games, I'd get it for that new Xenoblade game or Fatal Frame, although to be fair, I'm not that interested in those either. But if I did get it, only then would I get a Nintendo game, and even then, I'd never get MK or SSB or Pokemon. I'd likely try Zelda and Metroid mostly.

In a sense, I wouldn't care if Nintendo went 3rd party. I'd be more likely to get one of their games though, that's for sure. I buy random stuff as it is. Would it be good for Nintendo themselves? I have no idea. I do feel like designing and launching a console takes away resources one could be putting towards creating a game. I thought for sure MS and Sony would have plenty of next-gen games ready what with the Xbone and PS4 taking so long to come out. Instead, it really feels like they poured money into the new consoles, and are waiting for those to sell before really getting into making games. If this is the same with Nintendo, then does that mean we'd get more games more often if they went 3rd party? Again, I wouldn't care too much, but would Ninty fans prefer that? It does seem like stuff has been slow for the Wii U too.

I also feel like for Nintendo to recover, they'd have to release a new console way sooner than a PS5 or Xbone 2 would arrive. Who knows how this will affect them. Will people flock to the new console with new features? OR would they wait with their PS4s and Xbones as they know those will get new additions as some point. If Ninty got 3rd party support, they'd just get multiplats really. Ninty would have to rely on its 1st party again, which it always has, but would it be as slow as it has been with the Wii U? That just brings the PS5 and Xbone2 back into contention.

Ninty also seem to want to make a profit with each console sold, so generally speaking, Sony and MS will always have an advantage, risking loss for hardware advantage. Even worse if they release a new console way earlier.

I'd say....dabble first. Port something to the PC (I'd say new Zelda, but I'm sure they want that to sell systems). Put one or two games out there, but keep all available to Wii U. See how well that sells.

The handheld market seems solid though, for them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:

@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:

Dude, Mario and Zelda games already look amazing on the Wii U. Nintendo games have never been about or needed powerful hardware. Going 3rd party and releasing shit on multiple platforms would probably hurt them more than help. Look at the garbage Sega is releasing now a days even though they have a few great franchises. Nintendo going third party means all we get is yearly mario party and shitty new super mario bros because thats all thats going to sell. At least now with their own hardware they're forced to try weird and crazy shit because they need to attract people.

Sega sucks though, and they kind of always did if we're talking about them making trash like Sonic and Shenmue. Otherwise Binary Domain and Valkryia Chronicles are dope.

"forced to try weird and crazy shit"....they've made new IP on consoles for this gen that looks mildly interesting in Splatoon, and then one new ip for their handhelds (which admittedly looks like the bees kness) in Project STEAM. They aint fucking trying, they been never trying.