82.2 Million PS4 Shipped by June 2018, Prediction by March 2019 Increased to 96 Million Units

• 93 results
QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Sauce

Sony announced its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal year 2018, which is related to the period between April 1st, and June 30th, 2018.

As usual, we get an update on the number of PS4 units shipped during the quarter. 3.2 million consoles have found their way to retailers around the world.This brings the grand total up to 82.2 million units by June 2018. It was at 79 million three months ago.

Revenue has significantly increased year-on-year to 472.1 billion yen due to growing PS4 software sales through the network. Operating income has also increased massively to 83.5 billion yen due to the effect of higher sales.

We also get the forecast for the full fiscal year for the Game & Network Services segment, which combines PlayStation and PlayStation Network. Interestingly, the prediction for shipments of PS4 units has been increased to 17 million units from the previous 16 million forecast disclosed three months ago. This would bring the grand total to 96 million units by March 2019.

Looks like GOW's success and particularly strong sales this quarter has made them revise their estimates for next year.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Yes! YES! Sony smashes all as the haters beg them for crossplay. This momentum will likely carry into next gen too. There's no stopping them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Lol... I wouldn't be so sure about that. The console market is a fickle beast.

Anyway yeah, impressive numbers.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Lol... I wouldn't be so sure about that. The console market is a fickle beast.

Anyway yeah, impressive numbers.

Yeah, you guys sure learn that the hard way. being that Xbox despite all of the massive wealth of MS behind it, still manages to hit last place every gen dutifully. Anyway, Sony's still come out of every gen either on top, or like last gen, 2nd place. I'm not worried about it at all.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@BenjaminBanklin: Ok :)

I hope Sony isn't as cocky as you are (seeing some signs but).

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

So by April/May next year it should hit 100 million and with it take the record for the fastest console to reach the 100 million mark.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Crossplay isn't a sign of being cocky, just a good business choice by them.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By QuadKnight

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Yes! YES! Sony smashes all as the haters beg them for crossplay. This momentum will likely carry into next gen too. There's no stopping them.

Shows that at the end of the day all that matters is games. You deliver the high quality games and gamers will buy your system, it’s really that simple. All this talk about crossplay and services is pointless nonsense compared to having compelling games for your system, a lesson MS is finding out the hard way.

Sony are the only console manufacturer that delivers both quality 1st party and 3rd party on their system consistently, and its the reason they’ve won 3 out of 4 gens they’ve been in. Last gen when they tried to deviate from this formula by focusing more on hardware it almost bankrupted them. It was still their stellar lineup towards the end of PS3’s lifecycle that ended up saving them and the PS brand from extinction.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Just what quack needs after the beating he's been getting all month.

Will the next reports include microtransactions revenue lol.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@quadknight said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Shows that at the end of the day all that matters is games. You deliver the high quality games and gamers will buy your system, it’s really that simple. All this talk about crossplay and services is pointless nonsense compared to having compelling games for your system, a lesson MS is finding out the hard way.

Sony are the only console manufacturer that delivers both quality 1st party and 3rd party on their system in spades, and its the reason they’ve won 3 out of 4 gens they’ve been in. Last gen when they tried to deviate from this formula by focusing more on hardware it almost bankrupted them. It was still their stellar lineup towards the end of PS3’s lifecycle that ended up saving them and the PS brand from extinction.

Exactly. All MS seems to be worried about is adding enough bullshit bells and whistles on their consoles that gamers realistically don't give a shit about outside of arguing about them on message boards. According to MS, 4K physical movie media is something a GAME console really needs. Now they're taking losses on hardware, hiding sales numbers by cooking the books, and giving their new games away for 10 dollar subscriptions... and still overspending on what will likely be a fruitless next gen too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01

@vfighter: I'm not denying it's a good business decision, but it's not a very consumer friendly decision. And gamers don't forget stuff like that (unless you're a Sony fanboy). Especially the locked Fortnite accounts.

Plus I think their E3 showing had a fair bit of arrogance about it. Like I've said before, watch the E3 summary Colin Moriarty (a well known Sony fanboy) did about it. He said the exact same thing.

Anyway, we'll see.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Sony winning is the best result for everyone.

Edit; damn sony is confident shipping 26m units by Q1 2019

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

The way the Sony fans get over this type of thing you'd think they actually built the console themselves.

Still great numbers and congratulation for owning a PS4!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

these ps4 fans defending blocked crossplay are disgusting. This is holding gaming back.

i understand they are scared sony will lose momentum or sales but damn. Im sure sony themselves are scared of the same thing.

But it would be the best thing for gamers.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By QuadKnight

@KBFloYd: Best thing for gamers would be more games as these numbers show. Most gamers don’t give two shits about crossplay, they want more high quality 1st party and 3rd party games and that’s what Sony is giving them.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KBFloYd

@quadknight said:

@KBFloYd: Best thing for gamers would be more games as these numbers show. Most gamers don’t give two shits about crossplay, they want more high quality 1st party and 3rd party games and that’s what Sony is giving them.

most gamers dont give shits about crossplay because most dont even know what it is.

i bet if you take a poll and question everybody who owns a console and asked them if they would prefer crossplay and explain what it is . the majority would vote yes.

its up to us the hardcore gamers to start the movement but all we are getting is defending our favourite company. if this was nintendo i wouldnt be defending it.

i can't believe what you guys are doing.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuadKnight
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

most gamers dont give shits about crossplay because most dont even know what it is.

i bet if you take a poll and question everybody who owns a console and asked them if they would prefer crossplay and explain what it is . the majority would vote yes.

its up to us the hardcore gamers to start the movement but all we are getting is defending our favourite company. if this was nintendo i wouldnt be defending it.

They already took a poll and most gamers didn't care about crossplay when making purchasing decisions. I'm sorry you're in the minority but the gamers have spoken and other than butthurt lem and Sheep hardly any one gives a shit about crossplay. They are more concerned with getting good games for the system they paid for.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

these ps4 fans defending blocked crossplay are disgusting. This is holding gaming back.

i understand they are scared sony will lose momentum or sales but damn. Im sure sony themselves are scared of the same thing.

Nintendo fans defending Nintendo prices are disgusting..

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

Yeah it would be nice if Sony supported crossplay with other consoles (it already does with PC BTW in games where MS won't). But that pales in comparison to companies like MS not investing in good first party games and instead cancelling and releasing unfinished and mediocre experiences. That's holding gaming back much more than refusing to support crossplay with your competitors. As a gamer I am interested first and foremost in games and Sony has been doing a very good job there so kudos to them.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KBFloYd

@quadknight said:
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

They already took a poll and most gamers didn't care. I'm sorry you're in the minority but the gamers have spoken and other than butthurt lem and Sheep hardly any one gives a shit about crossplay. They are more concerned with getting good games for the system they paid for.

the vote was they didnt care? of course most people dont care. but if you ask them want crossplay added to your game? yes or no? the answer would be yes across the board especially in real life survey not just internet ones.

if you give people the option of voting i dont care then of course many would vote that because who cares about video game bullshit like this?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KBFloYd

@Random_Matt said:
@KBFloYd said:

nintendo overpricing their stuff only affects them. people will not buy and they will lose money.

this does not affect quality of a game or your experience of it. this is your digust with the company in general.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KBFloYd

@zappat said:
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

Yeah it would be nice if Sony supported crossplay with other consoles (it already does with PC BTW in games where MS won't). But that pales in comparison to companies like MS not investing in good first party games and instead cancelling and releasing unfinished and mediocre experiences. That's holding gaming back much more than refusing to support crossplay with your competitors. As a gamer I am interested first and foremost in games and Sony has been doing a very good job there so kudos to them.

well.... see, how do we know xbox division even has the funds to make them. telling companies to make quality games is not a reasonable demand. how do you demand someone to make a good product. either they suck or they are good at it right?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By QuadKnight
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

They already took a poll and most gamers didn't care. I'm sorry you're in the minority but the gamers have spoken and other than butthurt lem and Sheep hardly any one gives a shit about crossplay. They are more concerned with getting good games for the system they paid for.

the vote was they didnt care? of course most people dont care. but if you ask them want crossplay added to your game? yes or no? the answer would be yes across the board especially in real life survey not just internet ones.

if you give people the option of voting i dont care then of course many would vote that because who cares about video game bullshit like this?

Crossplay definitely helps gamers which is why Sony supports it already with PC and mobile. In fact, Sony has more crossplay games than MS has at the moment. The thing though is that they refuse to do it with Nintendo and MS because they view them as rivals. If they decide to do crossplay with MS and Nintendo in the future I'll definitely welcome it but in the meantime I don't give a shit. I'm more concerned with getting more quality games for my investment in PS4 and in that regard Sony is more than delivering. Games are far more important issue for me and most gamers than crossplay, and that's the point I'm trying to make.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenjaminBanklin
@Random_Matt said:
@KBFloYd said:

Nintendo fans have no business calling out defenses on anything after putting up with...

... the worst specs for several consoles now

.... horrible storage spaces

... bad online

.... Aiimbo milkage

... unfaltering prices

... fake shortages

... horrible third party support.

If they're still on board after years of that, Nintendo fans have put themselves out of the running to complain about what's going on with other consoles. Besides, why are they whining about crossplay? Nintendo is just NOW getting serious about online gaming after all this time.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@KBFloYd said:
@zappat said:
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

well.... see, how do we know xbox division even has the funds to make them. telling companies to make quality games is not a reasonable demand. how do you demand someone to make a good product. either they suck or they are good at it right?

Microsoft is by far the richest company in console gaming by now. They could use that money to invest much more on games. But they rather cancel them and it seems their support is lackluster. Sony supported Team ICO for many years to make a game that is niche, that's dedication and putting their money where their mouth is.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 QuadKnight
@KBFloYd said:
@zappat said:
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

You and lems are always talking about how rich MS is and how Phil Spencer is getting all the support he needs now. Don't give us that crap.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KBFloYd

@quadknight said:
@KBFloYd said:
@zappat said:
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:

You and lems are always talking about how rich MS is and how Phil Spencer is getting all the support he needs now. Don't give us that crap.

i should have said talent. how do we know they have the talent?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Why is Sony even thing about a PS5 right now. I don't think it's needed for quite sometime.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuadKnight
@KBFloYd said:
@quadknight said:
@KBFloYd said:
@zappat said:
@KBFloYd said:

i should have said talent. how do we know they have the talent?

They probably don't, you're right but anytime I tell lems this they get mad.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

So, profit is over 2.2 billion $. In other hand, profit for Xbox is....what?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56082 Posts

With all these sells, do we really need PS5 this early? It's always nice seeing a system doing well and since there's so much to do on PS4, it will continue to dominate until "Sony" themselves announce PS5, there's no stopping the train.

@KBFloYd said:

Sony has cross-play with PC, just not with the competition consoles on the sides and it's not Sony's interest with the console competitors.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

The CEO was not kidding when he said sales are slowing down.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

There's a whole lotta buyers remorse going on out there. :P

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

Remember the Lemmings said Sony was in trouble because the PS4 Pro can't do native 4K as well as Scorpion and lacked a UHD player

It must hurt to be so wrong that many times in life

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56082 Posts

@Elaisse said:

That's because everyone's waiting for PS5 :)

Why buy PS4 when you can wait for PS5?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

That's intense. Well done, Sony. I wonder why they anticipate so many sales in the near future? Spider-Man? I personally don't give a damn about that game. The PS4 games I'll be buying next are older ones I haven't played yet

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@Random_Matt said:
@KBFloYd said:

nintendo overpricing their stuff only affects them. people will not buy and they will lose money.

this does not affect quality of a game or your experience of it. this is your digust with the company in general.

I'm sure Nintendo fans will defend the paid online coming in September, that you can also pre-order now.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

Hmm, it occurs to me that we might be getting a rough estimate of PS3 sales soon(ish) since I don't think Sony will be able to resist mentioning when PS4 passes the lifetime total of PS3 shipments.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

SONY DOMINATION CONTINUATION

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts
@xantufrog said:

That's intense. Well done, Sony. I wonder why they anticipate so many sales in the near future? Spider-Man? I personally don't give a damn about that game. The PS4 games I'll be buying next are older ones I haven't played yet

Not only Spider Man, I'm guessing TLOU2 plays a part in this too.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@recloud: oh yeah, duh. Is that coming out by Q1? I guess it will still drive up sales before release

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts
@xantufrog said:

@recloud: oh yeah, duh. Is that coming out by Q1? I guess it will still drive up sales before release

They didn't say, but I expect so.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Sony is killing it in sales this gen - but with the changes MS have been making over the last few years, it'll be interesting to see how next gen plays out

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Sony is killing it in sales this gen - but with the changes MS have been making over the last few years, it'll be interesting to see how next gen plays out

I say the race will be closer but Sony will still win because of other regions, but than again seems like Xbox going to have an update console in every few years it will be hard to track their sale total..

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@RR360DD: there are no more gens for MS. I’m going to keep repeating this so that when MS sends a cocky tweet about how well they’re doing next gen, it’ll remind everyone how much they love to spin and bullshit.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BenjaminBanklin
@whatafailure said:

Remember the Lemmings said Sony was in trouble because the PS4 Pro can't do native 4K as well as Scorpion and lacked a UHD player

It must hurt to be so wrong that many times in life

LOL! I remember. If MS randomly started putting a white stripe on their consoles, then Xbox fans will argue why that white stripe makes the console worth buying because MS knows they have their fans conditioned to fight for them over anything.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Elaisse said:

Nice try

But considering in the same quarter their nearest rival Nintendo only sold 1.8mill consoles, meaning Ps4 was going out the door 2:1 worldwide on it´s the biggest competitor.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk

@xantufrog said:

RDR 2, Spiderman, The Last of Us 2 , And of course Kojima´s game.

All those are going to increase sales by a fair margin.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

He said near future haha

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jacanuk

@Chutebox said:
@Jacanuk said:
@xantufrog said:

He said near future haha

Well, end of 2019/early 2020 is near future :)