60fps vs 120fps

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

Alright so i left serious PC Gaming land around 2 years ago. My rig wasn't amazing, but enough to run BF on high at or around 60 FPS in 1080

The move to PS3 (and battlefield on PS3) was such a noticeable difference it was unreal. Dropping to 720 / 30FPS (i think it might actually be a little lower than that on PS3 in fact)

I try to explained to my pals that when the PS4 hits, and they are playing BF4 on it.. the biggest change they will notice will be due to the 60FPS... its hard to explain to someone why it makes a difference, it just does in a weird way.

Now I can't recall ever playing anything serious at 120fps .... defiantly nothing competitive... just never had the grunt to do it and keep it looking okay.

Does it make as much of a difference as the jump from 30 to 60? as 60 to me seems completely smooth and well... can't really improve completely smooth surely?

Discuss

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
Most people probably have 60hz monitors, so I don't think all that many would have experienced it.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Think its only noticible if you sit 2-3 feet from your monitor... I do find it impossible to play FPS now on a 60 hz monitor. But on consoles I play them just fine. 

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

With a 120Hz monitor?

Sure. 

ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts
The more frames the smoother it will be. It's a common misconception that the human eye only sees a maximum of 60 FPS where it actually sees above 200FPS. 60FPS though is able to produce enough frames to consist of very smooth gameplay and create less blur effects. The gap between 30 and 60 is huge and you will be able to notice the difference easily (Although some say there isn't but there clearly is). 30FPS is enough to produce smooth frames but the brain will be able to detect and tell the difference between 30 and 60. Above 60 though it is only smooth and even though it is a lot better in quality and anyone that has watched a tennis demo on a 1080p tv running 200FPS will be able to tell you you do notice it but the gap isn't as big as 30 to 60.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I've only ever had CRT monitors that could go 75 or 85hz, and I usually have vsync turned off, so I guess maybe I've seen games running higher than 60, but it's difficult to say. For me, 30fps or even as low as 24, I might still call playable IF the framerate is solid. I'm thinking Star Fox on SNES wasn't even that high, though, and I found it to be playable at that time, so maybe that's how I can accept less than 30.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

My old CRT's would refresh up to 150Hz and it made a massive difference when compared to playing at 85Hz (minimum I could game at on CRT's, anything less was headache material) especially in competative FPS games.

Since going TFT/LED I've only ever used 60Hz refresh displays and although the difference between 30 and 60 is noticable it doesn't render a game unplayable and is no where near the differences that CRT's had because of the way they refresh pixles instead of the entire screen. I don't know what 60Hz to 120Hz is like on TFT's but I doubt the difference is massively noticable, 60Hz on a flat screen is as good as flicker free.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

With a 120Hz monitor?

Sure. 

gameofthering

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

With a 120Hz monitor?

Sure. 

Jebus213

Is it worth investing in a 120Hz monitor though... is the jump worth it?
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

This says all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEpIwNDeCA

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

This says all:

aroxx_ab
Did you see the sequel episode where Linus knew which was which five times outta five? It feels better, and I do believe it helps with aim, amongst other things. The game appears a lot more fluid, and it's just... Nice. For FPS games, 120fps is lovely. For slower paced games, I'd take a 1440p IPS panel any day of the week.
Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

I have a monitor capable of displaying 75hz, the 15FPS jump is noticable, much smoother and life like, 120hz is even more so.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 aroxx_ab

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

This says all:

Consternated

Did you see the sequel episode where Linus knew which was which five times outta five? It feels better, and I do believe it helps with aim, amongst other things. The game appears a lot more fluid, and it's just... Nice. For FPS games, 120fps is lovely. For slower paced games, I'd take a 1440p IPS panel any day of the week.

Yeah i saw it, was good.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

from 30 to 60 does make a huge difference in smotthness of the game, but from 60 to 120 not that much. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

With a 120Hz monitor?

Sure. 

RedentSC

Only worth it if you're playing fast paced or competitive games really.and ONLY if you can push the games up to or above 120 fps

I have a 144Hz monitor and you can REALLY tell the difference between that and 60Hz but only when I play something like BF3 or CoD. 

It makes panning the camera and looking around a lot easier and less blurry. it helps you acquire targets fast and react a bit faster

If you just game to game then it's not worth it. If you like pretty graphcis more than a better colour producing monitor is the way to go or maybe 1440p

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
If you have the rig to run it, then you will notice the difference.
Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Consternated
Another thing to note about 120/144Hz monitors is the reduction of screen tearing. Playing TF2 without VSync on a 60Hz monitor is just a mess... When you're playing Scout, it's like the screen is in 7 segments. 144Hz on the XL2411T, and that's just not an issue :) So yeah, smoothness, no tearing, reduced input lag from not using vsync, etc. It's all good stuff.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

It's not as huge a difference as 30 to 60 FPS. But it's large enough to notice. Animations, specially feel so smooth. It's like you're looking through a window rather than at a screen. Specially when the game's animations are top notch.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Never played a game at over 60fps (with proper monitor) so i can't judge but 60fps is very important for me
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

[QUOTE="Consternated"][QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

This says all:

aroxx_ab

Yeah i saw it, was good.

Yeah, in the second video the guy got five out of five but he has basically trained himself to notice the difference. And he was using tricks to tell the difference like rotating the camera left to right and back again very quickly. Just doesn't seem worth the money to me to get a difference that is so negligible that you have to train your eyes to see it. I'll be the first to admit that 30 fps to 60 fps is a big jump but 60 fps to 120 fps seems like more of a bragging thing than anything else. Does it look a little better? Probably. But barely.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

This says all:

Consternated

The one where he was specifically testing for it by rapidly panning the camera back and forth? What they shoulda done was have someone else play and see if he could notice during normal gameplay.

For slower paced games i would take a decent plasma tv or LED tv with local dimming. Most the 1440p monitors usually dont have very good panels compared to your average big screen tv, usually poorer black levels, color reproduction, contrast ratio, more flashlighting/worse screen uniformity etc. If im not playing competitive multiplayer modes, i use my home theater with 7.1 surround.

If im doing online multiplayer i just throw on the headphones and use my crappy low response TN panel monitor.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clyde46

This says all:

BeardMaster

The one where he was specifically testing for it by rapidly panning the camera back and forth? What they shoulda done was have someone else play and see if he could notice during normal gameplay.

For slower paced games i would take a decent plasma tv or LED tv with local dimming. Most the 1440p monitors usually dont have very good panels compared to your average big screen tv, usually poorer black levels, color reproduction, contrast ratio, more flashlighting/worse screen uniformity etc. If im not playing competitive multiplayer modes, i use my home theater with 7.1 surround.

If im doing online multiplayer i just throw on the headphones and use my crappy low response TN panel monitor.

IPS panels will shit on most HDTV's.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aroxx_ab

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

[QUOTE="Consternated"] Did you see the sequel episode where Linus knew which was which five times outta five? It feels better, and I do believe it helps with aim, amongst other things. The game appears a lot more fluid, and it's just... Nice. For FPS games, 120fps is lovely. For slower paced games, I'd take a 1440p IPS panel any day of the week.Wickerman777

Yeah i saw it, was good.

Yeah, in the second video the guy got five out of five but he has basically trained himself to notice the difference. And he was using tricks to tell the difference like rotating the camera left to right and back again very quickly. Just doesn't seem worth the money to me to get a difference that is so negligible that you have to train your eyes to see it. I'll be the first to admit that 30 fps to 60 fps is a big jump but 60 fps to 120 fps seems like more of a bragging thing than anything else. Does it look a little better? Probably. But barely.

Yeah i agree, i prefer a IPS monitor (60hz) with good picture quality.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Never played a game at over 60fps (with proper monitor) so i can't judge but 60fps is very important for mesilversix_

120 hz is not really important, you will notice it here and there, but 60 is the must have.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BeardMaster

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

[QUOTE="Consternated"] Did you see the sequel episode where Linus knew which was which five times outta five? It feels better, and I do believe it helps with aim, amongst other things. The game appears a lot more fluid, and it's just... Nice. For FPS games, 120fps is lovely. For slower paced games, I'd take a 1440p IPS panel any day of the week.clyde46

just about every halfway decent hdtv uses an ips panel these days. My 55" LED is an IPS pannel and has full array local dimming... shits all over any monitor.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

This says all:

BeardMaster

LOL! What? All 1440p panels are IPS. That's better color coverage than 99% of TV's out there.

Local dimming LED's ARE nice, but alot of IPS panels also have that feature. And modern IPS motnitors also beat the $hit out of TV panels in terms of response times.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Unless you're rocking a 120hz monitor, anything over 60 is wasted. At 120hz you will notice a smoother picture but it's really subtle.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

BeardMaster

just about every halfway decent hdtv uses an ips panel these days. My 55" LED is an IPS pannel and has full array local dimming... shits all over any monitor.

"Any monitor"? Thats a very large and sweeping statement. I really don't think your HDTV can stand up against a Dell 30in IPS panel that is used in professional video editing and colour grading.
Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Consternated
When it comes to picture quality, a great TV is better than most monitors, and a great monitor is better than most TVs. Let's just leave it there? :P
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I've never played a game at 120 fps but I'm sure it would be beneficial in games like Quake Live or even Tribes Ascend. Anything other than competitive games though I don't think it would be that useful.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Unless you're rocking a 120hz monitor, anything over 60 is wasted. At 120hz you will notice a smoother picture but it's really subtle.

Wasdie

I'd say iot more depends on the game to really notice it. Something like Dead SPace 3 I've been playing recently doesn't look all that different at 144Hz compared to say BF3 which looks MUCH better at 144Hz.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15640 Posts

60-120 is much less noticable than 30-60, but you will probably still notice it. Frames won't always line up perfectly with your own natural refresh rate, so even at a totally solid 60 you will probably see very very minor skips every now and then.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BeardMaster

[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] IPS panels will shit on most HDTV's. clyde46

"Any monitor"? Thats a very large and sweeping statement. I really don't think your HDTV can stand up against a Dell 30in IPS panel that is used in professional video editing and colour grading.

the response times and contrast ratios are far worse than most HDTVs.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
[QUOTE="BeardMaster"]

[QUOTE="Consternated"] Did you see the sequel episode where Linus knew which was which five times outta five? It feels better, and I do believe it helps with aim, amongst other things. The game appears a lot more fluid, and it's just... Nice. For FPS games, 120fps is lovely. For slower paced games, I'd take a 1440p IPS panel any day of the week.clyde46

Nah my Plasma takes massive wet dumps on all IPS Panels
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

There is a small difference between these two, but noticable.

Not as noticable as 30 to 60, which is pretty damn big to those used to 60.

Oh and Lmao consoles

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I have a monitor capable of displaying 75hz, the 15FPS jump is noticable, much smoother and life like, 120hz is even more so.

AMD655

Yeah, this. I found 75Hz noticably improved compared to 60Hz. I can only imagine the sexy buttery smoothness of a 120kg wom... I mean of 120Hz. 

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

120fps is over kill even on 60 fps the games look like they are running on fast forward to me.

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts

[QUOTE="AMD655"]

psymon100

Yeah, this. I found 75Hz noticably improved compared to 60Hz. I can only imagine the sexy buttery smoothness of a 120kg wom... I mean of 120Hz. 

Lol that's cuz LCD is jittery garbage. The hold times even @ 120hz are more than twice as slow as Plasma
toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

This thread right here, along with this thread (http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29440489/is-60fps-really-that-big-a-deal) is going to make me start a new thread titled: 120 fps vs 240 fps?

Avatar image for Arman_Tanzarian
Arman_Tanzarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Arman_Tanzarian
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
What does the panasonic plasma st50 have? I'm sorry I can't game on monitors
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I got my new monitor this year at 120hz and what a huge difference it made from 60hz.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12143 Posts

I like your avatar TC, I saw coheed last march in atlanta

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

I got a 120hz monitor about a year ago. Can't go back. It is, and I mean, SILKY smooth. It's like, smoother than smooth.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If its a game you play a lot of then you will definitely notice the difference. I remember playing Tribes Ascend when my 120hz monitor died, even dropping down to 75hz on an older monitor was noticable and it was hard to get comfortable playing the game, it was noticably less smooth.

HTPC_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HTPC_FTW
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="AMD655"]

m3Boarder32

Lol that's cuz LCD is jittery garbage. The hold times even @ 120hz are more than twice as slow as Plasma

Even tho this guy sounds like a fanboy, he's correct. It's the hold times that makes 120hz LCD's smooth, not the frames per second.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="AMD655"]

m3Boarder32

How is 'that' because LCD is 'jittery garbage', if both displays were LCD? Surely the difference I saw came from the extra 15Hz (+25%). 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#47 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I have a 100 hertz monitor

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#48 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

30 fps is about average and very reliable framerate to shoot for.

60 fps just looks beautiful and just so fluid, it's amazing to see games in this framerate. 

120 is just unneccessary.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
I'm pretty satisfy with 60FPS.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

With a 120Hz monitor?

Sure. 

RedentSC

In my experience, going up from 60 doesn't have as much of an impact on the  visual  smoothness; as you said, 60 is pretty much buttery smooth. But, particularly in a fast paced multiplayer game, you can continue to  feel  the enhanced smoothness all the way up to 120, and even beyond. If you can afford a good 120 hz monitor, and have hardware that can push some games that fast, it's worth it.