51 details about Drive Club.

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Weather

1. NASA data was used to accurately map out the night sky — so wherever you are in the world you’ll see the correct star constellations for your location.

2. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to see the northern lights — it’s possible to see the aurora borealis from the northern tracks in Norway, Scotland, and Canada.

3. All clouds are full 3D models to ensure accurate light diffusion from the sun. They’re calculated at massive distances in a fully volumetric form, so thin clouds cast lighter shadows than dense storm clouds, and their color impacts the feel of the landscapes and cars.

The Environment

8. High resolution NASA data was used to accurately map landscapes and mountain formations — which were then tweaked to ‘improve’ on their natural beauty and make them perfect for high-speed racing.

9. The team spent weeks out on location and covered a minimum of 200km every day to get a feel for each country’s roads and atmosphere. They captured thousands of photos and recordings along the way, in all weather conditions and different times of day.

10. Road tarmac textures are hand-modelled rather than tiled or tessellated. Stones and bitumen are all placed and then rendered procedurally to give realistic surface detail with huge visual variety and no repeating detail on any road surface.

Flora and Fauna

13. Some tracks boast more than 1.2 million road-side trees — and this number keeps going up as the artists try to out-do each other as development progresses.

14. There are more than 100 different varieties of trees, bushes, mosses, and flowers. The team consulted botanists at Kew Gardens to learn which plants would naturally grow in each location.

15. Wildlife is realistically tied into the day/night cycle. You’ll see flies and butterflies only during the day, and moths and bats only at night.

The Cars

21. A typical Driveclub car is made up of 260,000 polygons. The staggeringly detailed cars you see in promo videos are the same models you drive in the game — they’re not pre-rendered CG versions.

22. Each car takes approximately seven months to create — from initial licensing, reference collation, CAD data processing, asset production, physics modelling, through to the final car in-game.

23. Evolution snapped in excess of 1,000 photos of the interior and exterior of every car as part of the reference gathering.

38. Each reference car was fitted with at least 16 separate microphones to authentically capture the sounds of the engine from 360 degrees, inside and outside of the car. Some had four mics on the exhaust alone.

39. In-game, the engine sound reacts to your perspective. Pan around a stationary car gunning its engine and the sound shifts with the camera position (relative to where the engine is).

40. When you race, the engine sounds are different based on which of the six camera views you choose — inside or outside of the car. You’re not hearing the same engine audio with a filter — it’s all recorded separately.

Handling and Physics

44. Although not a sim, Driveclub’s handling model is based on real world physics, using technical data about performance provided directly by the manufacturers.

45. To fine-tune the performance of every vehicle, a virtual “rolling road” test is used to check acceleration, top speed, weight distribution, and braking performance.

46. Aerodynamics are physically modelled. For example, activating DRS on the McLaren P1 affects the levels of downforce to increase top speed and acceleration.

Artificial Intelligence

48. The AI drivers adapt their racing tactics and braking strategy based on pressure from players or other drivers. When alongside them, they will try to brake deeper into the corner.

49. AI drivers always try to predict overtaking opportunities based on the track, the performance of their car relative to opponents, and also how opponents are driving at any given moment.

50. When an AI driver has a car with KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) fitted, they will use the energy strategically at opportune moments to pass or block opponents on the track.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/05/51-details-about-driveclub-on-ps4/

More at the link.

Now you know why this game was delay,the cheer amount to details is unmatched..

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Awesome. A lot of stuff I have to dramatically slow down for to notice.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Forza who?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

All sounds good but the Proof will be in the pudding umm, puddin. :P

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Sounds good, the AI info sounds exciting. I'll try the PS+ trial, doubt I'll ever get the game. Not into racers for the most part.

@amazonangry said:

Forza who?

Forza 30FPS, that's who! lol

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Is each detail one of the cars? Or are there not even 51?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

And I'd still rather play Dirt 2 or Motorstorm or Split/Second.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Stop the presses,found the GOTY and GOAT

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

13. Some tracks boast more than 1.2 million road-side trees — and this number keeps going up as the artists try to out-do each other as development progresses.

14. There are more than 100 different varieties of trees, bushes, mosses, and flowers. The team consulted botanists at Kew Gardens to learn which plants would naturally grow in each location.

15. Wildlife is realistically tied into the day/night cycle. You’ll see flies and butterflies only during the day, and moths and bats only at night.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

Foliage king?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

This is all cute and pretty and all, but, does anybody know how many cars and tracks are in the game?

I stopped caring about most racers after customization died in favor of simulators. And now all i see is games having less cars and less tracks, sticking the rest for DLC like Forza.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

@MonsieurX:

@MonsieurX said:

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

So.... Foliage King Confirmed eh? LoosingEnds is sure to pick this one up. :P

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46

@deadline-zero0 said:

This is all cute and pretty and all, but, does anybody know how many cars and tracks are in the game?

I stopped caring about most racers after customization died in favor of simulators. And now all i see is games having less cars and less tracks, sticking the rest for DLC like Forza.

50 cars and like 80 tracks I think are the final number.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@MonsieurX:

@MonsieurX said:

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

Depends on how many leaves the trees have though.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@MonsieurX:

@MonsieurX said:

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

Can't score nothing else but a 11/10 in GS

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SecretPolice

@Suppaman100:

Haha, yeah man, good catch. :P

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@sts106mat said:

Reporting Live for Sony TV - @tormentos

LMAO!!!

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@tormentos:

Drive Club

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

I hope people stop complaining about the 2D trees now. Although I never had a problem with them on GT games because they looked fine to me and I prefer they use those resources on better lighting, car models and frame-rate than trees. Because seriously, who the **** plays a racing game to look at the trees anyway?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos

Butthurt already at 70%...hahaahaha only missing blackace with his 2 account and we are at a full 100%..

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By B4X

@tormentos said:

Butthurt already at 70%...hahaahaha only missing blackace with his 2 account and we are at a full 100%..

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Yeah, i just found out after some research. Sorry. But 50? For a sim racer?

Like i said, i stopped following most simulators, but 50 cars only when atleast Forza had 200, an already lower number than it's predecessor.

Also, i rmemeber playign abit of NFS Shift, and that had about 75 or more cars i believe.

Also, i read that it's 55 tracks, so about twice as much as Forza, i believe.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tormentos

@b4x said:

@tormentos:

Drive Club

And black4ce arrives...hahaha Meltdown at 100%..hahahaha

@Gue1 said:

I hope people stop complaining about the 2D trees now. Although I never had a problem with them on GT games because they looked fine to me and I prefer they use those resources on better lighting, car models and frame-rate than trees. Because seriously, who the **** plays a racing game to look at the trees anyway?

Exactly.

Funny how nextgen is about making things more and more like real life,but when developers from sony do that,some how who cares about the threes,is about the same 200 cars with repetitive details,and card board box threes...

Look at the complains they are just joke,but but you have to slow down to see,hell i think that lemming would be happy if Turn 10 just render the road the cars and nothing else,forget about people (from google on xbox one) threes,animals and any detail that make the game more realistic,lest just have a road 10 cars and be done with it,on and no crash since there would be no walls,buildings or anything beyond the road just emptyness.

Hahaha

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 B4X

@tormentos said:

Drive club: "The winner of 50 MEH awards." E3 2013

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tormentos
@deadline-zero0 said:

Like i said, i stopped following most simulators, but 50 cars only when atleast Forza had 200, an already lower number than it's predecessor.

Also, i rmemeber playign abit of NFS Shift, and that had about 75 or more cars i believe.

Drive Cub is not a sim racer,alto the numbers of cars seem low.

@b4x said:

@tormentos said:

Drive club: "The winner of 50 MEH awards." E3 2013

Yet Titanfall who won like 60 prices on E3 look like sh** and is an average 86 score..hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And Forza 5 is 79%..hahahaa Drive Club should have no problem breaking that.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By B4X

@tormentos: 51 MEH AWARDS! T3h Winnar!

Drive Club= DC= Damage control

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By clyde46

@deadline-zero0 said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

DC is not a sim racer. Its more of a arcade'y game much like NFS: Hot Pursuit but yes, the latest trend at the moment for console sim racers is less cars, more microtransactions.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By B4X

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

DC is not a sim racer. Its more of a arcade'y game much like NFS: Hot Pursuit but yes, the latest trend at the moment for console sim racers is less cars, more microtransactions.

Nope DC= Damage control is not a sim racer. You nailed it!

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46

@b4x said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

You are trying way too hard....

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 B4X

@clyde46 said:

@b4x said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

You are trying way too hard....

51 one M3h awards from E3 2013. I can't try hard enough to top that. :P

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DEadliNE-Zero0

@tormentos said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Drive Cub is not a sim racer,alto the numbers of cars seem low.

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@clyde46 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Yeah, sorry about that guys. Watched some gameplay some time ago and everything, it all looked very Simulator like.

Like i said, i stopped following most racers (expect The Crew abit), but even for an apparent lobby based racers without cop chases, open world or anything like that, 50 cars only is low. Sorry if i'm wrong about those assumptions. I know very little of the game.

But i do agree with you clyde. Not a fan of the recent way i see many racers do their models.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@tormentos said:

10. Road tarmac textures are hand-modelled rather than tiled or tessellated. Stones and bitumen are all placed and then rendered procedurally to give realistic surface detail with huge visual variety and no repeating detail on any road surface.

48. The AI drivers adapt their racing tactics and braking strategy based on pressure from players or other drivers. When alongside them, they will try to brake deeper into the corner.

49. AI drivers always try to predict overtaking opportunities based on the track, the performance of their car relative to opponents, and also how opponents are driving at any given moment.

50. When an AI driver has a car with KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) fitted, they will use the energy strategically at opportune moments to pass or block opponents on the track.

1. Formula 1 cars in DriveClub why is there KERs on road cars? or Im wondering if they are just using it in name as a "turbo boost" kind of method.

2. I feel sorry for the team who had to model and texture road surfaces,

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@tormentos said:

Flora and Fauna

Foliage king?

LOL! Beat me to it!

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Devils in the details.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

So now we know why drive club was delayed

"13. Some tracks boast more than 1.2 million road-side trees — and this number keeps going up as the artists try to out-do each other as development progresses."

Meanwhile the rest of us play a solid racer delivered on time with less tree's.

Shame only two of these "facts" actually related to how fun the game might be to play.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#39 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yo if the 51 cars are all unique and don't feel SSB'd or GT'd with the reskins, I'm happy.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tormentos

@b4x said:

@tormentos: 50 MEH AWARDS! T3h Winnar!

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

xbox 360 graphics confirmed... Butbutbut open world..hahaha

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clyde46

@tormentos said:

@b4x said:

A 3 second gif is enough to make an assumption? Cows gunna cow,

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By B4X

@tormentos said:

@b4x said:

Looks awesome to me. Now back to your original broadcast 51 E3 meh awards hype fest in progress.

FH2>>>>>>>>DC in Gameplay, score, Online features.....everything relevant to being a AAA developed game.

Want to make a wager?

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@tormentos said:

Now you know why this game was delay,the cheer amount to details is unmatched..

Ignoring the terrible english, proof?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tormentos
@always_explicit said:

"13. Some tracks boast more than 1.2 million road-side trees — and this number keeps going up as the artists try to out-do each other as development progresses."

Shame only two of these "facts" actually related to how fun the game might be to play.

Call it like it is,you played a game that need it a huge patch on launch,which had last gen effects and was downgraded heavily to achieve 60FPS which by the way scored 79% on sites like gamerankings.

So yeah if Drive Club was delay to be more polish,great maybe it won't sink under 80% like Forza did when forza 4 and before were 90% and up,basically you like mediocrity as long as it is deliver on time.

So yeah you loved rush games not every one does,at least the game has an attention to detail that make forza feel like a Snes game.

bonus..hahahahaa

Forza Horizon on xbox one..hahahahahaa

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I only know one thing. 30fps lmao

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@b4x said:

@tormentos said:

Lol! That gif is one of the best things I've seen all day.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 B4X

@tormentos:

FH2>>>>>>>>DC in Gameplay, score, Online features.....everything relevant to being a AAA developed game.

Want to make a wager?

Come on son. Answer the question, Account ban bet?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos
@clyde46 said:

@tormentos said:

@b4x said:

A 3 second gif is enough to make an assumption? Cows gunna cow,

Look at the damn game and stop your usual damage control,that is how the In game look like,in fact it is from a trailer IGN juts release,and and star showing you some ultra detailed cars but end with that sh** which is the in game graphics just look at it without your usual bias closet lemming...

hahaha

@b4x said:

Looks awesome to me. Now back to your original broadcast 51 E3 meh awards hype fest in progress.

Want to make a wager?

Yeah it sure look awesome...hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Forza Horizon look like GTA5 on PS3..hahaha

Well something got to give to run at 1080p we knew visuals would be,hell Forza 5 looks better...hahahahaa

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 B4X

@b4x said:

@tormentos:

Want to make a wager?

Come on son. Answer the question, Account ban bet?

Answer the question son. Let's do this. Account bet!

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@tormentos said:
@always_explicit said:

Call it like it is,you played a game that need it a huge patch on launch,which had last gen effects and was downgraded heavily to achieve 60FPS which by the way scored 79% on sites like gamerankings.

So yeah if Drive Club was delay to be more polish,great maybe it won't sink under 80% like Forza did when forza 4 and before were 90% and up,basically you like mediocrity as long as it is deliver on time.

So yeah you loved rush games not every one does,at least the game has an attention to detail that make forza feel like a Snes game.

bonus..hahahahaa

Forza Horizon on xbox one..hahahahahaa

So we got to play a highly rated exclusive racing title on the X1 while you got to play which racer again???

How many months does it take to polish a turd? Greatness waits though amirite?