4K owners, if you have to choose between native res and ray tracing...

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

Imagine you have a graphics card with which one is about as demanding as the other. Which do you choose? 1080p rays or 2160p no rays.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

27591

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 27591 Posts

You mean 1080p with RT or 4k without RT?

1080p is an unplayable blurry mess. 4k over RT any day.

Avatar image for davillain
DaVillain

53004

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 53004 Posts

1440p with RT all the fucking way baby! Yes, I like my games to have RT and I always use it whenever possible. Who needs 4K when RT gives you more to look at? And that's just my opinion so don't come at me.

Avatar image for mesome713
Mesome713

5359

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 5359 Posts

RTing is a gimmick.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

27591

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 27591 Posts

@mesome713 said:

RTing is a gimmick.

Playing on the go is a gimmick.

Avatar image for pclover1980
PCLover1980

570

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 570 Posts

Depends on the game I guess. Games that require more input, native res with no RT for more FPS. Games that actually showcases raytracing or are slower games? I'd use 1440p/4K with RT on.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

42909

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 42909 Posts

Much more interested in ray and path tracing in older games.

Lighting in modern games looks plenty fine so I never activate Ray Tracing, even if I got the performance to spare.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

You mean 1080p with RT or 4k without RT?

Yes, thanks, edited.

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

17201

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17201 Posts

Can i cheat? 4K using FSR so it renders internally at 1080P and upscales :P.

Hard to choose between the 2. I play on a 43" monitor so 1080P can be quite blurry. But Pretty lights and shiny reflections!

In saying that i played Quake 2 RTX and, well, 4K native ain't happening on a 6900XT....on Linux (the RT support on Linux is still very much a work in progress). Still it didn't look bad when rendering at 1080P internally. The main problem was more prominent artefacts from the denoiser. But....that's still Quake 2 at the end of the day.

In reality I would look for a balance of visuals/performance i am happy with. Like using FSR/DLSS. Maybe use only some RT settings rather than all of them (if possible). RT reflections would be the main one for me.

If i was using consoles though i would always leave it on quality mode rather than performance.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

8964

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 8964 Posts

4K? FHD? Such extremes. πŸ₯±

WQHD with RT and DLSS, if needed. In my experience provides the best balance of graphical fidelity and fluid motion.

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1461

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1461 Posts
@warm_gun said:

Imagine you have a graphics card with which one is about as demanding as the other. Which do you choose? 1080p rays or 2160p no rays.

A lower resolution is no guarantee of better performance with RT enabled you know. The reason being is because RT is not 100% dependant on a good GPU, it needs an equally a good CPU as well.

On my tired (soon to be retired) i7 8700 and RTX 3070, enabling RT on game a such as Cyberpunk adds a further 20-25% workload on my CPU.

Apologies if you already knew this, but discussions regarding RT on these forums always talk about the power of the GPU and pretty much ignore the CPU.

My new PC (which I didn't build this time) is coming in a few days. It's an i5 13600K, 32GB RAM and an RTX 3080. Now I won't be playing max settings or anything like that, that's just stupid. But I will be trying different settings to get 50-60fps on my RT games with at least 1440P. Fun times!

Avatar image for Chutebox
Chutebox

49405

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 49405 Posts

4k

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

DLSS and FSR look weird...

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1461

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1461 Posts

@warm_gun said:

DLSS and FSR look weird...

Must be something wrong with your eyes then. Cyberpunk with 4K performance mode (1080P) looks pretty much as good as real 4K.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
PC_Rocks

7927

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 7927 Posts

Why not both? RT with DLSS quality + GSync is a sweet spot.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts
@Bond007uk said:
@warm_gun said:

DLSS and FSR look weird...

Must be something wrong with your eyes then. Cyberpunk with 4K performance mode (1080P) looks pretty much as good as real 4K.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, not even close. FSR looks much more pixelated and soft. Don't have the Nvidia card installed anymore.

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1461

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1461 Posts

@warm_gun:

4K DLSS Performance Mode

Avatar image for osan0
osan0

17201

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17201 Posts

@warm_gun said:
@Bond007uk said:
@warm_gun said:

DLSS and FSR look weird...

Must be something wrong with your eyes then. Cyberpunk with 4K performance mode (1080P) looks pretty much as good as real 4K.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, not even close. FSR looks much more pixelated and soft. Don't have the Nvidia card installed anymore.

If you are using FSR then make sure you are using FSR Quality mode. FSR performance (especially for titles that use FSR 1) is quite poor and not recommended.

I tried it a bit (Quality mode) in Horizon Zero Dawn and looks fine when stepping up to 4K.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

42850

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 42850 Posts

A mix of temporal super-sampling, variable resolution, and image upscaling offers the best balance to performance and visual fidelity. RT or not I'd take a balance mode over native 4K anyday.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts
@osan0 said:
@warm_gun said:
@Bond007uk said:
@warm_gun said:

DLSS and FSR look weird...

Must be something wrong with your eyes then. Cyberpunk with 4K performance mode (1080P) looks pretty much as good as real 4K.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, not even close. FSR looks much more pixelated and soft. Don't have the Nvidia card installed anymore.

If you are using FSR then make sure you are using FSR Quality mode. FSR performance (especially for titles that use FSR 1) is quite poor and not recommended.

I tried it a bit (Quality mode) in Horizon Zero Dawn and looks fine when stepping up to 4K.

That's what I did and it looked like shit compared to Bond's screenshots. Really fucking annoying that Gamespot no longer allows uploads over 3 MB. No, I'm not gonna compress my 4K/FHD FSR Horizon screenshot comparison, because I shouldn't have to.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#21 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

@Bond007uk: Would have been helpful if you had also shown 4K comparisons of the same scenes. Now I can't tell if anything is messed up or not.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

60336

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#22 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 60336 Posts

Prefer to play as close to 4K as possible with higher settings over RT.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

But the format here was always crappy, to be honest. On another forum, I could simply spoiler-tag my 3.3 and 3.8 MB JPEGs, to spare people. (Yes, I'm over by not even one megabyte. Awesome, Gamespot.)

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
NoodleFighter

11550

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11550 Posts

If DLSS and FSR isn't an option I'll play at 1440p. Although 4K DLSS Performance mode actually looks pretty decent and on par if not better than 1440p DLSS quality mode.

Avatar image for nfamouslegend
NfamousLegend

884

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 884 Posts

@Bond007uk: why upgrade from a 3070 to a 3080? Should have gone for something more substantial honestly.

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1461

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1461 Posts

@nfamouslegend: I haven't upgraded, I've bought a whole new PC. There wasn't a lot more substantial in my price range. This new machine has already cost me nearly Β£2500

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

10057

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#27 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It really depends on how good the ray tracing is implemented in the game for me.

Avatar image for zaryia
Zaryia

21118

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21118 Posts

Whatever helps me do over 90 FPS at 4K without getting blurry.

Even 60 fps kinda' hurts these days. And now I realized PS5 actually plays several games at 4K 30-40 fps, or 50-60fps with 4K upscaling. Jesus christ I feel bad for those people.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

16674

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 210

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 16674 Posts

4K over 1080p with RT.

1440p/60fps is my minimum. I wouldn't use RT if it dropped me below that and I prefer 80fps as the minimum for a FPS game. I haven't bothered with 1080p for many years. Having a 4090 means I generally don't have to worry about anything. Just crank that shit to the max! 1440p, ultrawide, 4K... All good. :)

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

27591

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#30 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 27591 Posts

@BassMan said:

4K over 1080p with RT.

1440p/60fps is my minimum. I wouldn't use RT if it dropped me below that and I prefer 80fps as the minimum for a FPS game. I haven't bothered with 1080p for many years. Having a 4090 means I generally don't have to worry about anything. Just crank that shit to the max! 1440p, ultrawide, 4K... All good. :)

Some SW enjoyers main the S as their only system. Others have a 1070 and pretend to be all about performance over graphics. This is System Wars.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

54095

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 54095 Posts

Able to get 4k but generally don't give a shit about it.

Same with ray-tracing.

Grew up watching pirated VHS tapes, my standards are extremely low.

Avatar image for miquella
Miquella

338

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#32 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 338 Posts

1440p/60fps is my minimum.

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

12488

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#33 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12488 Posts

Probably 4K because 1080p is too low. Don’t care that much for RT but high-end parts such as the 4080 and 4090 can do 4K/60/RT with the help of image reconstruction, especially in the case of the 4080.

Avatar image for firedrakes
firedrakes

4166

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#34 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4166 Posts

60 fps lock. zero dip and no rt. is all i care about

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

16674

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 210

User Lists: 0

#35  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 16674 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@BassMan said:

4K over 1080p with RT.

1440p/60fps is my minimum. I wouldn't use RT if it dropped me below that and I prefer 80fps as the minimum for a FPS game. I haven't bothered with 1080p for many years. Having a 4090 means I generally don't have to worry about anything. Just crank that shit to the max! 1440p, ultrawide, 4K... All good. :)

Some SW enjoyers main the S as their only system. Others have a 1070 and pretend to be all about performance over graphics. This is System Wars.

Well, I can't speak for others, only for myself. I don't bullshit people on here. I generally tell it like it is... or at least how I see it. People may not agree with me or think I am an elitist or whatever, but that is fine. I care about quality and I know the majority of people do not really care about quality. They are OK with the basic bitch experience. All I can say is... if you follow my recommendations, you too can experience quality gaming.

Obviously, I will never recommend a Series Shit. LOL

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

27591

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#36 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 27591 Posts

@BassMan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@BassMan said:

4K over 1080p with RT.

1440p/60fps is my minimum. I wouldn't use RT if it dropped me below that and I prefer 80fps as the minimum for a FPS game. I haven't bothered with 1080p for many years. Having a 4090 means I generally don't have to worry about anything. Just crank that shit to the max! 1440p, ultrawide, 4K... All good. :)

Some SW enjoyers main the S as their only system. Others have a 1070 and pretend to be all about performance over graphics. This is System Wars.

Well, I can't speak for others, only for myself. I don't bullshit people on here. I generally tell it like it is... or at least how I see it. People may not agree with me or think I am an elitist or whatever, but that is fine. I care about quality and I know the majority of people do not really care about quality. They are OK with the basic bitch experience. All I can say is... if you follow my recommendations, you too can experience quality gaming.

Obviously, I will never recommend a Series Shit. LOL

Lots of basic bitch gamers on SW. Genuinely disgusting.

Avatar image for ivangrozny
IvanGrozny

1787

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1787 Posts

I have RTX 4090. I can do both now: 4K and RT 😎

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#38 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Able to get 4k but generally don't give a shit about it.

Same with ray-tracing.

Grew up watching pirated VHS tapes, my standards are extremely low.

Thought you said you had a 1080p TV.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

54095

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 54095 Posts

@warm_gun: In this room.

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
Mozelleple112

9580

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#40 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 9580 Posts

1080p is way too low. 1440p minimum. But it is pretty tough noticing the difference between 1440p and 4K, even with a 77" OLED.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

42909

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 42909 Posts

@BassMan said:

4K over 1080p with RT.

1440p/60fps is my minimum. I wouldn't use RT if it dropped me below that and I prefer 80fps as the minimum for a FPS game. I haven't bothered with 1080p for many years. Having a 4090 means I generally don't have to worry about anything. Just crank that shit to the max! 1440p, ultrawide, 4K... All good. :)

Choices are best, if you can choose 4K, ultra wide screen, high framerates, high settings, ray tracing... That's living.

I love PC gaming. I can choose to play older games, crank them up to 4K and install graphics mods. Means I don't have to play modern games with their trash microtransactions 😎

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1461

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#42 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1461 Posts

Here you go. Smaller file sizes and compression aside, the difference is pretty difficult to detect, if not impossible from these screenshots. All taken from my own PC.

4K DLSS Performance Mode

4K Native

4K DLSS Performance Mode

4K Native

Avatar image for vatususreturns
VatususReturns

732

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#43 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 732 Posts

Native 4K

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

26544

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26544 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

I have RTX 4090. I can do both now: 4K and RT 😎

Living the good life. I'm right there with ya, buddy! This 4090 is insane.

Avatar image for Litchie
Litchie

32465

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#45  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 32465 Posts

Don't really care about ray tracing until it becomes less of a resource hog.

Avatar image for pelvist
pelvist

8892

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#46 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 8892 Posts

I used to have 4k monitor, I broke it with an index controller and then decided to get an ultrawide 1440p as a temp monitor before finding another 4k one at a decent price. I ended up sticking with the 1440p monitor in the end because I couldn't tell any difference in the fidelity even at just a few feet away from the monitor and the performance gain from not playing in 4k is HUGE. IMO 4k is a waste of performance, id take well done RT over it any day of the week and probably even the half arsed RT they put in AMD sponsored/console games too.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#47 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

@pelvist said:

I used to have 4k monitor, I broke it with an index controller and then decided to get an ultrawide 1440p as a temp monitor before finding another 4k one at a decent price. I ended up sticking with the 1440p monitor in the end because I couldn't tell any difference in the fidelity even at just a few feet away from the monitor and the performance gain from not playing in 4k is HUGE. IMO 4k is a waste of performance, id take well done RT over it any day of the week and probably even the half arsed RT they put in AMD sponsored/console games too.

I agree that 4K is probably a waste of performance when using a monitor. But TVs are bigger and sat farther away from. I don't use 4K with many new games. Been using 1440 to 2160 FSR the last few days and it's alright. But the option for native 4K when the game is easy to run is nice.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

Yeah, high quality FSR 1440>2160 is kind of shit in Horizon. It can't figure out those individual blades of grass especially. Game looks better at 1440 with TAA on a 4K TV. Less blurry.

Avatar image for warm_gun
Warm_Gun

1759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#49 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 1759 Posts

Snake oil for morons, just like AI upcaling in movies.

Avatar image for theam0g
theAM0G

1366

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By theAM0G
Member since 2021 • 1366 Posts

Why not 4k with raytracing? It destroys the frames on my 3090, but its doable.

That being said, I won't be using RT until it becomes less of a resource hog.