3DS has the most deceiving screen shots of any system.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Handhelds always look way worse with captured photos, but it is even more so when your game is actually being displayed in 3D.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

The 3D can be turned off..... so they have some truth to them.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
This reminds me of the hilarious failure of someone trying to bash KZ3 3D... it was hilarious he tried to post a screenshot in 2D and bash it for looking nasty :lol:
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Im finding it kind of hard to understand how we will really be able to tell what the 3ds games will really look like, since we dont have 3d. I think it looks fine for a handheld from what we have seen anyway. BTW, LOVE your username and avatar ;)
davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

This reminds me of the hilarious failure of someone trying to bash KZ3 3D... it was hilarious he tried to post a screenshot in 2D and bash it for looking nasty :lol:JohnF111

I remember that :)

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Well actually i think screenshots look worse than the actual game.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

This is actually a good argument. We can't see the 3D effect on 3DS screen shots, so half of the excitement is gone :)

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Yeah, I can't wait til I see some 3DS Kiosks so I can see the affect for myself.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]This reminds me of the hilarious failure of someone trying to bash KZ3 3D... it was hilarious he tried to post a screenshot in 2D and bash it for looking nasty :lol:davidkamayor

man. i wish i had seen that!
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Wait, are you saying the screens look better or worse?
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedude-

Shirokishi_
The 3d effect would make these games look much better. They are built around it, not to mention most screen shots of PSP and DS look much better when you actually experience on the screen. It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

[QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

thedude-

The 3d effect would make these games look much better. They are built around it, not to mention most screen shots of PSP and DS look much better when you actually experience on the screen. It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.

No.... it will make them pop out :|

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

3D doesn't actually make them look better now does it? Just 3 dimensional. It's not like the games don't look good without the 3D effect.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cherokee_Jack
It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.thedude-
Uh...no. It will look better, but it's going to be the same graphical quality. It's just one effect.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]This reminds me of the hilarious failure of someone trying to bash KZ3 3D... it was hilarious he tried to post a screenshot in 2D and bash it for looking nasty :lol:davidkamayor

i wish i was there

its my job to defend kz to death

davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]This reminds me of the hilarious failure of someone trying to bash KZ3 3D... it was hilarious he tried to post a screenshot in 2D and bash it for looking nasty :lol:Vader993

its my job to defend kz to death of kz's mulitplayer community

Too Late

JK

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i... played/watched those videos on the 3DS. and they look like the screens, if not better.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"]It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.Cherokee_Jack
Uh...no. It will look better, but it's going to be the same graphical quality. It's just one effect.

The viewing angle and the effect of it jumping out at you, the level of depth. It will make a difference.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Well actually i think screenshots look worse than the actual game.

martinX3X
Not always. Killzone on the PS2 looked great in stills, but in motion its pretty blurry.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="thedude-"]It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.thedude-

The viewing angle and the effect of it jumping out at you, the level of depth. It will make a difference.

plus no weird outlines around models. all screenshots seem to have them, especially MGS.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Shirokishi_"]

lbjkurono23

I haven't seen 3DS, but 3D tends to make things look better.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="thedude-"]It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.thedude-

Like I said, it will look better, but not THAT much better. It's the same graphics.
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] Uh...no. It will look better, but it's going to be the same graphical quality. It's just one effect.Cherokee_Jack

Like I said, it will look better, but not THAT much better. It's the same graphics.

"It's the same graphics." Isn't proper english, the game will look better when looked at in 3D. This should be very obvious.

3D is like a bump in resolution. It's like comparing a 1080p game to a 720p one on a 1080p screen.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="thedude-"] The viewing angle and the effect of it jumping out at you, the level of depth. It will make a difference.Jamiemydearx3

"It's the same graphics." Isn't proper english, the game will look better when looked at in 3D. This should be very obvious.

3D is like a bump in resolution. It's like comparing a 1080p game to a 720p one on a 1080p screen.

It's like a movie, same graphics :P but looks better in 3D.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lbjkurono23
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]

[QUOTE="thedude-"] The 3d effect would make these games look much better. They are built around it, not to mention most screen shots of PSP and DS look much better when you actually experience on the screen. It could be comparable to looking at a HD game screenshots output to 480i.SaltyMeatballs

Not really :|...
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thedude-
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] Uh...no. It will look better, but it's going to be the same graphical quality. It's just one effect.

Some games look like utter crap on screenshots for DS games and even Wii, then you see them running in motion and it looks gorgeous. I do not think its far fetched to assume that this will happen with at least some of the game games coming out for 3DS with all things considered.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]

lbjkurono23

It does providing you actually have both eyes anyway...

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lbjkurono23

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] I haven't seen 3DS, but 3D tends to make things look better.SapSacPrime

So 3d increases the graphics?... no it just makes things pop out, get over it.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

they are not decieving they just cant show the 3d effects thats all it will look better when using the 3d in many games while some will continue to look good in both positiions

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"] Not really :|...lbjkurono23

Increases graphics? Nah, though did anyone say this? Just looks better by enhancing the 3D visuals.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

it doesn't increase graphics, it makes it look better. there's a sense of depth added, so it looks nicer without "improving the graphics".
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cherokee_Jack

"It's the same graphics." Isn't proper english, the game will look better when looked at in 3D.Jamiemydearx3

The sentence fragment beginning with "Isn't" lacks a subject. You also should have capitalized 'English', and the comma after it should have been a semicolon or a period instead.

3D is like a bump in resolution. It's like comparing a 1080p game to a 720p one on a 1080p screen.Jamiemydearx3

Do you have a link that explains this? I don't have a depth of knowledge about 3D, but that doesn't sound right.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cherokee_Jack
Some games look like utter crap on screenshots for DS games and even Wii, then you see them running in motion and it looks gorgeous. I do not think its far fetched to assume that this will happen with at least some of the game games coming out for 3DS with all things considered.thedude-
We've already seen 2D video of 3DS games, so it's a moot point.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thedude-

[QUOTE="thedude-"]Some games look like utter crap on screenshots for DS games and even Wii, then you see them running in motion and it looks gorgeous. I do not think its far fetched to assume that this will happen with at least some of the game games coming out for 3DS with all things considered.Cherokee_Jack
We've already seen 2D video of 3DS games, so it's a moot point.

DS games sometimes can ONLY be properly viewed raw. No screens, no videos. Its just the reality of the matter. Some games are like that and it seems to be more prevalent with 3DS. Not to mention Metal Gear 3DS looks way better moving than still screens.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

lbjkurono23

Pop out and/or recede.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="Jamiemydearx3"]"It's the same graphics." Isn't proper english, the game will look better when looked at in 3D.Cherokee_Jack

The sentence fragment beginning with "Isn't" lacks a subject. You also should have capitalized 'English', and the comma after it should have been a semicolon or a period instead.

3D is like a bump in resolution. It's like comparing a 1080p game to a 720p one on a 1080p screen.Jamiemydearx3

Do you have a link that explains this? I don't have a depth of knowledge about 3D, but that doesn't sound right.

I have an NVidia 3D Vision setup myself... 3D will make the game look sharper overall and adds depth, but it is not the same as a resolution boost. How could it be?

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#37 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]

Technically, no 3d does not make the graphics better or give them a higher resoulation. But 3d does make the visuals look more better and immersive, especially with the 3ds' depth perception.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ThePlothole

I have an NVidia 3D Vision setup myself... 3D will make the game look sharper overall and adds depth, but it is not the same as a resolution boost. How could it be?

SakusEnvoy

Well If you've ever looked at an eye chart you might have noticed that the letters were easiest to read with both eyes open. This is because the brain can composite together details from both eyes to form a clearer picture. In the case of 3D each eye is receiving slightly different details, so that might somewhat improve the "apparent resolution".

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

ThePlothole

Well If you've ever looked at an eye chart you might have noticed that the letters were easiest to read with both eyes open. This is because the brain can composite together details from both eyes to form a clearer picture. In the case of 3D each eye is receiving slightly different details, so that might somewhat improve the "apparent resolution".

I think you explained, technically, what I meant by sharper image. But I hope that no one confuses this with an actual resolution boost, or they will be sorely disappointed.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ThePlothole

I think you explained, technically, what I meant by sharper image. But I hope that no one confuses this with an actual resolution boost, or they will be sorely disappointed.

SakusEnvoy

Sharpness is just contrast between edges. You can make an image sharper without adding any detail (or even add detail without making it sharper). It would be more accurate to say that this increases acuity.