360's dont break down that much!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kansrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kansrite
Member since 2004 • 767 Posts
but i guess they break down enough for people to complain about them. the gamespot poll shows that 30 percent of people have had problems. even if 10 percent are sony fans just voting in disgust that still means a 1 in 5 failure rate! are you not upset that ms, might have given you an inferior product when it comes to design and hardware!?! if i had to send my console in for repairs more than once i would be upset, very upset!
Oroin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Oroin
Member since 2006 • 3041 Posts
I had my xbox360since November with no trouble. so I don't know the chance I have of it breaking (anyone know?) I hate having that small constant fear of it breaking. but either way, I like it. if it break once it's ok.. but not when it's before a game I want like, Mass Effect or Blue Dragon.. :cry:
Kansrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kansrite
Member since 2004 • 767 Posts
i know 4 people who own 360's and 2 of them have sent their system in at least twice for reapairs. that just seems cheap to me
weijie86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 weijie86
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts
this is what keeps me away from the console even though it has some good games in it..I just want something more reliable,like my ps2 or some other consoles which I can play for long hours without ever worrying about ventilation and stuffs...MS buck up!!
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
Not that many break but enough do to make it a problem, I should be able to play for a long time and not worry if its getting to hot or hope it doesnt freeze right at the important part >.>, I just hope it all gets fixed soon.
101gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 101gamespot
Member since 2006 • 125 Posts

^^ Thread Topic

Only a child could get away with such blasphamy God bless them all

judge__judy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 judge__judy
Member since 2005 • 2129 Posts

O yes they do

XxHammerFallxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 XxHammerFallxX
Member since 2007 • 185 Posts

but i guess they break down enough for people to complain about them. the gamespot poll shows that 30 percent of people have had problems. even if 10 percent are sony fans just voting in disgust that still means a 1 in 5 failure rate! are you not upset that ms, might have given you an inferior product when it comes to design and hardware!?! if i had to send my console in for repairs more than once i would be upset, very upset!Kansrite

Totally agreed 100%. They burn your house down instead. *Thumbs up* *sarcasm...*

xtn702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 xtn702
Member since 2007 • 4203 Posts
haha mines is broken but im not gunna send it in for repairs because im gettinga ps3 :)
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
but i guess they break down enough for people to complain about them. the gamespot poll shows that 30 percent of people have had problems. even if 10 percent are sony fans just voting in disgust that still means a 1 in 5 failure rate! are you not upset that ms, might have given you an inferior product when it comes to design and hardware!?! if i had to send my console in for repairs more than once i would be upset, very upset!Kansrite
The only problem is that online polls are even more flawed then what you show. Really, we have no idea what the true percentage is and never will. Is it above the 3% claimed by MS? I "believe" so. Is it below the 20%-30% a lot of people throw around? I "believe" so based on the fact that no one has sued MS yet. This includes retailers. Really, all we can do is just hope the problems are worked out.
-MoOkS-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -MoOkS-
Member since 2006 • 528 Posts
75% faillure rates say other wise :|
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

The reason you don't hear about the PS3 breaking is nobody uses the PS3 for games only movies! :lol:

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

75% faillure rates say other wise :|-MoOkS-

No it's not that high. :|

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

The reason you don't hear about the PS3 breaking is nobody uses the PS3 for games only movies! :lol:

PS3_3DO
Ha ha ah...no.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
At least u guys can bring it in to fixed. I live in the caribbean so if the 360 breaks down i cant get it fixed for free.thats the main reason i didnt get one i just borrow my friends own:P
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

The failure rate, I would estimate, is higher than the 5% MS officially claims, but I would highly doubt that its anywhere near 30%. I would put my guess at around 10% or so, but at least MS has done steps to fix some issues, and extended the warranty, which is more than Sony did when the PS2s were having disc read issues.

I wish MS would make a hardware revision, but barring that, they have handled this ok for a corporation (a little more openness would be nice, but its understandable why they aren't) and all I can say is that the extended warranty is always a good idea.

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

I have problems with lock ups and disc read errors since the beginning (june 2006). My friend who bought it 2 weeks earlier at the same store has had his break down. I've gotten atleast 30 people on my 100 person friend list who send theirs in, some multiple times. A few of them even 3 times and 1 person is on his fourth. And on another forum i go to a few people has send theirs in, 1 is a huge xbox fanboy and he only admitted it the second time it broke. Nevermind all the people on this forum, who have their GT listed so they're not scamming.

In my experience there is a huge problem and it not just the first gen of consoles. Worst electronics product ever made. And for the record, yes the games are great.

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CyanX73
Member since 2004 • 3389 Posts
TC, your thread title and post are very different. This is what we call misleading. We all know 360s' break down and we also know that lems don't care :). This is why MS will do nothing to fix it but offer an "elite" version of their system. But supposedly these are breaking now too.
CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CyanX73

I had my xbox360since November with no trouble. so I don't know the chance I have of it breaking (anyone know?) I hate having that small constant fear of it breaking. but either way, I like it. if it break once it's ok.. but not when it's before a game I want like, Mass Effect or Blue Dragon.. :cry:Oroin

So you're the one that got the good launch system? Wow. Congrats.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpruceCaboose

TC, your thread title and post are very different. This is what we call misleading. We all know 360s' break down and we also know that lems don't care :). This is why MS will do nothing to fix it but offer an "elite" version of their system. But supposedly these are breaking now too. CyanX73

Except that MS has already extended the warranty and has (supposedly but on good authority) started putting in components to correct the issue? MS is working on it. If you think that they don't care, you must not realize that every system that is sent in for repairs costs them a pretty good chunk of change.

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

[QUOTE="CyanX73"]TC, your thread title and post are very different. This is what we call misleading. We all know 360s' break down and we also know that lems don't care :). This is why MS will do nothing to fix it but offer an "elite" version of their system. But supposedly these are breaking now too. SpruceCaboose

Except that MS has already extended the warranty and has (supposedly but on good authority) started putting in components to correct the issue? MS is working on it. If you think that they don't care, you must not realize that every system that is sent in for repairs costs them a pretty good chunk of change.

Yes, but i think there's a structural problem with the design and if it breaks after 1 year you still get to pay alot for repairs. If its a structural problem and a known problem (something MS keeps its mouth shut about) then that would warrant a recall or free repairs for consoles made before xx date.

I jut love to see official numbers. And us not getting them says alot.

CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CyanX73

[QUOTE="CyanX73"]TC, your thread title and post are very different. This is what we call misleading. We all know 360s' break down and we also know that lems don't care :). This is why MS will do nothing to fix it but offer an "elite" version of their system. But supposedly these are breaking now too. SpruceCaboose

360 and Vista. Yeah...repairs cost but only hurt if the consumer spends their money elsewhere. Hence my whole "lems don't care." If anything, this is a compliment to the 360. All the hardware problems and they're still outselling PS3 in North America. Heck, if there weren't hardware issues perhaps I'd own a 360 right now. Extending the warranty is nice but correcting the issue is what would be significant.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

[QUOTE="CyanX73"]TC, your thread title and post are very different. This is what we call misleading. We all know 360s' break down and we also know that lems don't care :). This is why MS will do nothing to fix it but offer an "elite" version of their system. But supposedly these are breaking now too. elcoholic

Yes, but i think there's a structural problem with the design and if it breaks after 1 year you still get to pay alot for repairs. If its a structural problem and a known problem (something MS keeps its mouth shut about) then that would warrant a recall or free repairs for consoles made before xx date.

I jut love to see official numbers. And us not getting them says alot.

Except that for $60 you get two more years under warranty, so really having a structural problem would not matter much in terms of cost to repair. For example, 4 IRL friends of mine have had 360s with no issues. They paid MS $400 each, and MS made some money off of their purchase. I, however, am on my 4th unit. Meaning I paid MS $400, but since then, they have had to give me another brand new system, and then send out two repaired units. The brand new unit cost them over $400 as they were losing money on launch hardware (granted they could have recouped some money by refurbishing my defective unit), and the two refurbed units had to cost them money in repair costs (since the repairs are done in TX), not to mention the cost for 4 round trip UPS trips to Texas and back. In exchange, I have given them $60 for the whole ordeal, meaning they had to lose a decent amount of capital so that I could get a working system.

Bottom line, defective units hurts their profitability, so they are very much interested in getting the issue taken care of. If you think otherwise, you really must be into conspiracy theories.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

i know 4 people who own 360's and 2 of them have sent their system in at least twice for reapairs. that just seems cheap to meKansrite

great job undermining your whole argument :lol: that's 50% of the peole you know with 360s have had issues and even 1/5 is a terriable faluire rate.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 imprezawrx500

PS3_3DO

why don't gaming pcs die?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="Kansrite"]i know 4 people who own 360's and 2 of them have sent their system in at least twice for reapairs. that just seems cheap to meimprezawrx500

great job undermining your whole argument :lol: that's 50% of the peole you know with 360s have had issues and even 1/5 is a terriable faluire rate.

Actually, his arguement is that 360s break all the time, so that anecdote does support what he was going for.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 imprezawrx500

The failure rate, I would estimate, is higher than the 5% MS officially claims, but I would highly doubt that its anywhere near 30%. I would put my guess at around 10% or so, but at least MS has done steps to fix some issues, and extended the warranty, which is more than Sony did when the PS2s were having disc read issues.

I wish MS would make a hardware revision, but barring that, they have handled this ok for a corporation (a little more openness would be nice, but its understandable why they aren't) and all I can say is that the extended warranty is always a good idea.

SpruceCaboose

I didn't know you got more than a year warrenty now. the 360 has always had a 1 year warrenty so how exctly has it been extended?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 imprezawrx500

2006 x360 had a one year warrenty 2007 x360 has a one year warrenty how is that extented?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="PS3_3DO"]

imprezawrx500

why don't gaming pcs die?

Some do. Every electronic item has had defectives and such. Its a fact of life.

With PCs, you have much more control over the environment. For example, My PC had inadequate ventilation and it would run very hot, so to solve, I cut a hole in the side of my case and installed a spider fan and then a blower in the back of the case. Cost me an hour or so and about $25 and dropped the temp in the case by 10 degrees C at least.

I cannot do the same to the 360. I have to rely on what systems MS has put into place.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

imprezawrx500

I didn't know you got more than a year warrenty now. the 360 has always had a 1 year warrenty so how exctly has it been extended?

For $60, you get two more years of warranty. MS has offered extended warranties since the original Xbox, and the paperwork for the 360's comes right on top of every new unit as soon as you open the box.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

[QUOTE="CyanX73"]TC, your thread title and post are very different. This is what we call misleading. We all know 360s' break down and we also know that lems don't care :). This is why MS will do nothing to fix it but offer an "elite" version of their system. But supposedly these are breaking now too. imprezawrx500

2006 x360 had a one year warrenty 2007 x360 has a one year warrenty how is that extented?

As for this use of extended, When I bought the 360, there was the industry standard 90 day warranty. After launch, MS went and extended that to one year, meaning the original 90 days had been extended 4 times over to 1 year.

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

For $60, you get two more years of warranty. MS has offered extended warranties since the original Xbox, and the paperwork for the 360's comes right on top of every new unit as soon as you open the box.

SpruceCaboose

A good product should not need a warranty. Warranties are only if YOU intentionally do something to harm it. The 360 just blows up on its own.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

NobuoMusicMaker

A good product should not need a warranty. Warranties are only if YOU intentionally do something to harm it. The 360 just blows up on its own.

Warranties don't cover misuse their, so no, warranties protect expensive investments from failure. I would suggest if you find a cheap enough warranty for an item, to get it. $60 for two years has already more than paid for itself on this one. If a system is over $300 and the warranty is $60 for two years (on top of the free one year) that seemed like a good idea, and who knew, I was right.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts
this is what keeps me away from the console even though it has some good games in it..I just want something more reliable,like my ps2 or some other consoles which I can play for long hours without ever worrying about ventilation and stuffs...MS buck up!!weijie86
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
The failure rate is certainly significant but I highly doubt it is 30%. If a product was that faulty, they would have the govt. on their tail. Plus they would go out of business replacing all those units. I suspect the failure rate is probably 5-8% not the 3% rate that MS quotes. Word of advice, I wouldn't use a GS poll as your data.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

NobuoMusicMaker

You do not understand warranites. If you intentionallydo something to your piece of electronics, that generally voids a warranty. Corporations are not going to reimburse consumers who intentionally destroy their goods. Warranties are generally a form of insurance for high priced consumer goods. Extended warranties - those that you have to purchase on your own - are generally a bad idea and should not be needed.