360p/30fps (with drops) The Future Is Here (DF vs Xenoblade Chronicles 3)

• 79 results
Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 8496 Posts

• has FMV in the intro
  • XC2 dips as low as 360p with sharpening
  • XC3 might feature temporal upsampling
    • sampling previous frames to improve IQ
  • XC2 was spatial
  • common resolution is 540p in docked
  • fast motion reveals the true res
  • in portable, the resolution is similar to XC2 (360p minimum) but significantly better IQ
  • there's a warbling effect due to the upsampling technique
  • XC3's running animation is better designed compared to XC1 and 2, more like XCX
  • usage of inverse kinematic to make the characters more grounded in the world
  • movement animation now matches the pacing, no more sliding
  • has per-object motion blur, has artifacts due to low resolution
  • has a procedural cloud system
    • low resolution clouds
  • shadows don't change based on ToD
  • object pop-in is apparent, still better than the last couple games
  • consistent 30fps delivery, changes based on what's on the screen
    • as areas become dense or in combat, frame rate can drop
    • can go as low as 24fps
    • real time cutscenes is stable with some drops
  • some macroblocking in the FMVs
  • has 5.1 audio
  • biggest complaint is too many tutorials
  • has a customizable UI
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12008 Posts

That'll be a lot of remasters for the new Nintendo console. I can see them reselling us these old games but with updated graphics. At exorbitant prices for their exclusives of course.

GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GoldenElementXL

@Juub1990: Yeah, maybe in 2024 we will see “HD remasters” of these 540p and below Switch games. Maybe the next Switch will be the Switch HD, and will feature a 1080p screen 🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 60553 Posts

Games being only on the Switch is a waste of resources.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5367 Posts

This engine is just completely unoptimized for Switch. I'm not surprised at all.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 41264 Posts

@techhog89 said:

This engine is just completely unoptimized for Switch. I'm not surprised at all.

Is that Unreal Engine 4?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 22106 Posts

@techhog89 said:

What engine is optimized for the Switch? Unless the game is a side scroller or a simpleton art direction with colors and barely any textures (all 3d mario's), the system can't handle it. And i am hearing some sheep asking for an Elden Ring port. The game would literally not be able to run the title screen at 200p.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

I am very annoyed by the fact that i am not the creator of this thread. I am usually in charge of everything drama related on the Switch, and its TC that jumps in and damage controls the system😕

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 48904 Posts

Oof

GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GoldenElementXL

@hardwenzen: What did I damage control?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#11 Mesome713  Online
Member since 2019 • 3954 Posts

If only the graphical gimmicks mattered. Game is 89 overall. Goty baby!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@goldenelementxl said:

@hardwenzen: What did I damage control?

I mean, i don't remember exactly, i haven't made one of these in a while, but you're usually defending it with the likes of "bu but its a handheld" and such.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 38977 Posts

While I most definitely look forward to Nintendo bringing out a more powerful Switch in the future I’m still going to thoroughly enjoy this excellent game in the meantime.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6835 Posts

If it wasn't a Nintendo console this would be crap. That resolution is unacceptable in 2022.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mesome713  Online

@Random_Matt: Nintendo fans don’t care about graphical gimmicks. We just want amazing games like Xenoblade 3 89 Metacritic goty incoming.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@Random_Matt: Nintendo fans don’t care about graphical gimmicks. We just want amazing games like Xenoblade 3 89 Metacritic goty incoming.

Nintendo's double standards is the only reason why its even sitting at a 89. If this was on the ps4 and had this kind of performance, it would be in low to mid 70's, and that's being generous.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mesome713  Online

@hardwenzen: This amazing game will never release on Pos5, it has actual fun gameplay. Pos5 is for shatty dudebro games with graphical gimmicks.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: This amazing game will never release on Pos5, it has actual fun gameplay. Pos5 is for shatty dudebro games with graphical gimmicks.

Double standards. Never forget that.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16954 Posts

@techhog89 said:

How have you come to the conclusion that it's unoptimized? Considering what it's doing (huge world with a long draw distance, a lot of characters on the screen, throws a lot of effects around during battle), I would consider it very well optimised. At the end of the day it's working within the constraints of the switch. That's it. That's what a switch can do.

I mean compare it to pokemon: its a night/day difference.

Looks impressive considering the hardware. A solid improvement over XC2. Performance and visuals have been upgraded by the looks of things. The temporal reconstruction is a nice trick to hide the lower res (though nothing new and i fear for pixel trails).

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mesome713  Online

@osan0: O yeah, the pushed the Switch to the limit and pulled off some great tricks. Game looks amazing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 59843 Posts

Yeah, XC2 looked straight-up dogsh*t in areas. This seems to be more a mix of 1 and 2 with less of the more sexualized content, and i'm digging the look of the game so i'll be playing it when I get time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 197

#22 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 15713 Posts

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 19720 Posts
@mesome713 said:

Best on PC. Already saw someone on youtube playing it 1440p 60 fps 😆

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1538 Posts

Unacceptable performance, but it's to be expected from their hardware - it really is a shame that this game is confined to weak hardware.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 20426 Posts
@zaryia said:
@mesome713 said:

I hope that Nintendo being treated as a PC dev at this point is a lesson to them.

They need much stronger hardware. If the low FPS didnt help them get the hint, THAT should.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1538 Posts
@Maroxad said:
@zaryia said:
@mesome713 said:

I hope that Nintendo being treated as a PC dev at this point is a lesson to them.

They need much stronger hardware. If the low FPS didnt help them get the hint, THAT should.

It won't get to them. As long as there are people who vehemently defend their decisions and reviewers overlook performance issues on their hardware, they will continue.

On the upside, it's perfectly legal to emulate games that you purchased, so for people who want their games to run better, this is a very easy option.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

Really is a shame that video games are still being made for the Switch. Its clear to us all that the system cannot handle anything at this point.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BassMan

@hardwenzen said:

Really is a shame that video games are still being made for the Switch. Its clear to us all that the system cannot handle anything at this point.

It was shit when it launched and now it is even more shit.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 20426 Posts

@mazuiface said:
@Maroxad said:
@zaryia said:
@mesome713 said:

It won't get to them. As long as there are people who vehemently defend their decisions and reviewers overlook performance issues on their hardware, they will continue.

On the upside, it's perfectly legal to emulate games that you purchased, so for people who want their games to run better, this is a very easy option.

Things tend to hit a lot harder when it affects the bottom line. But you are probably right.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5367 Posts

@osan0 said:
@techhog89 said:

How have you come to the conclusion that it's unoptimized? Considering what it's doing (huge world with a long draw distance, a lot of characters on the screen, throws a lot of effects around during battle), I would consider it very well optimised. At the end of the day it's working within the constraints of the switch. That's it. That's what a switch can do.

I mean compare it to pokemon: its a night/day difference.

Looks impressive considering the hardware. A solid improvement over XC2. Performance and visuals have been upgraded by the looks of things. The temporal reconstruction is a nice trick to hide the lower res (though nothing new and i fear for pixel trails).

Pushing things too far is poor optimization. That said, even the XB1 remake ran at these resolutions. I'm thinking that the issue is that they didn't take Switch's biggest weakness, its memory bandwidth, into account. Remember that Switch is actually even slower than Wii U there. That's also probably why there was never an XBX port.

Also, Pokemon's engine is poorly optimized as well. Not a good comparison. Compare it to Zelda or something.

GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GoldenElementXL

@hardwenzen said:

The Switch can handle games, but XC3 doesn’t seem to be one of them. The game is reviewing great, though! We’ve always had this divide between gaming journos and tech specs and graphics/performance. So the review scores not reflecting what would be shocking visuals and performance to most, makes sense. But I’m not sure how 360p and drops to 24fps is getting the Nintendo stamp of approval. That’s gotta be frustrating for the devs. Their hard work deserves a better final product than this…

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5964 Posts

Xenoblade 2 was rough but I wouldn’t say unplayable. I’m ready!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#33 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9549 Posts

Nintendo has to make a system that has a decent amount of power in it.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 9783 Posts

@BassMan said:

Yep. And if this is the trend going forward, the Switch is my last Nintendo purchase. I regretted buying one

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BassMan

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@BassMan said:

Yep. And if this is the trend going forward, the Switch is my last Nintendo purchase. I regretted buying one

As did I. I sold it a few years ago. The only games I had were BotW, SMO, and MK8:D. There were no other games that I was interested in and the emulators on PC had surpassed the quality of the Switch itself. So, it was pointless to own, especially since I am not a portable gamer.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@goldenelementxl said:
@hardwenzen said:

The Switch can handle games, but XC3 doesn’t seem to be one of them. The game is reviewing great, though! We’ve always had this divide between gaming journos and tech specs and graphics/performance. So the review scores not reflecting what would be shocking visuals and performance to most, makes sense. But I’m not sure how 360p and drops to 24fps is getting the Nintendo stamp of approval. That’s gotta be frustrating for the devs. Their hard work deserves a better final product than this…

Now imagine BOTW2, the supposed masterpiece for the Switch. Nintendo should stick to side scrollers and games with tiny levels... open world is not for toaster specs.

GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GoldenElementXL

@hardwenzen: Was BotW not a masterpiece? Did BotW not have better physics than MOST open world games? (Looking at you HZD/HFW)

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 19902 Posts

I can't believe they will put out a game with those kinds of concessions. Why didn't they make something that would work towards the hardware's strengths instead of stretching the ambition too far and ending up with poor performance?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@goldenelementxl said:

@hardwenzen: Was BotW not a masterpiece? Did BotW not have better physics than MOST open world games? (Looking at you HZD/HFW)

What does physics have anything to do with the visuals, resolution and frames of a game? The likes of HZD (and most other open world titles for that matter) don't aim for physics like they don't care about the ai. I mean, Red Faction Guerrilla on a damn 360 had better physics than anything released on a ps4.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mesome713  Online

@hardwenzen: That’s cause those games are based on graphical gimmicks. Unlike a masterpiece like BotW that focuses on amazing gameplay mechanics like the best physics in an open world ever imagined.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: That’s cause those games are based on graphical gimmicks. Unlike a masterpiece like BotW that focuses on amazing gameplay mechanics like the best physics in an open world ever imagined.

Loading Video...

GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GoldenElementXL

@hardwenzen said:
@goldenelementxl said:

What does physics have anything to do with the visuals, resolution and frames of a game? The likes of HZD (and most other open world titles for that matter) don't aim for physics like they don't care about the ai. I mean, Red Faction Guerrilla on a damn 360 had better physics than anything released on a ps4.

The bolded is probably true. But BotW ran circles around most PS4 games as well. It helps with the immersion. BotW's art direction was good too.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hardwenzen
@goldenelementxl said:
@hardwenzen said:
@goldenelementxl said:

The bolded is probably true. But BotW ran circles around most PS4 games as well. It helps with the immersion. BotW's art direction was good too.

Physics do help the immersion massively, and generation after generation its simply not improving. One of those things i simply don't get. If it was hard to market, i'd understand, but its extremely easy to market if you're doing it better than everyone else.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mesome713  Online

@hardwenzen: Bro that is the fakest physics I have ever seen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Bro that is the fakest physics I have ever seen.

Generations ahead of what can be done in botw, botw2 or botw3.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mesome713  Online

@hardwenzen: Not even close. Zelda would never do boring fake physics like that. Would be stupid.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 2747 Posts

Honestly, it's the Switch. Who cares?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Not even close. Zelda would never do boring fake physics like that. Would be stupid.

It can't do physics like that🐒Too much to ask.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mesome713  Online

@hardwenzen: Too much indeed. I would laugh at such comical bad physics. BotW is all about immersion, that would just kill it with the fake mess.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 9079 Posts

360p. What is this, 1998? I'm sure the Dreamcast of that year did 360p.

bad game anyways so doesn't matter but still