360 vs. PS3 (an unbiased value showdown!)

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Let me start by saying that I like (and am getting) both consoles. I'm just making a point I found interesting.

XBOX 360
Premium system ($400) + 4 years Xbox Live (assuming that's how long the 360 lasts....$200) = $600

PLAYSTATION 3
Premium system ($600) + Decent Bluetooth headset ($50, better ones are at $100) = $650

Ok, I got some 'splaining to do. Basically, I'm sick of all the cows using the price of the HD-DVD drive to justify the price of the PS3. Bottom line, it has nothing to do with games. However, in this generation, online play is major. Practically every 360 game has Live and Sony will soon follow suit with PSN.

Cows also complain about how expensive Live is. That's just stupid. It's about $1 a week for a year. Sounds good to me. And even AFTER that, the PS3 is a more expensive ordeal if you want full online play. Sure you could say headsets aren't necessary, but the fact of the matter is, it's slowly becoming a norm especially for shooters and such. Think how much more fun Resistance would be if everyone had headsets.

And if you're REALLY against headsets, I invite you to chop off the $50 and look at the prices. It's the same.

So, thoughts? Comments? Death threats? Let me have 'em!
Tasman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tasman_basic
Member since 2002 • 3255 Posts
Wow thats a much better layed out argument than most the diveling of cows.
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MoldOnHold
Wow thats a much better layed out argument than most the diveling of cows.Tasman_basic
Thanks tasman, I appreciate it.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
Playstation 3 HD Cables? Not sure how much they are, but I know they aren't given with the system. Unless that changed.
donut349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 donut349
Member since 2003 • 3951 Posts
Good stuff :)
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MoldOnHold
Good stuff :)donut349
Hey thanks donut. Argh I'm hungry now.
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MoldOnHold
Playstation 3 HD Cables? Not sure how much they are, but I know they aren't given with the system. Unless that changed.Nagidar
Meh I decided not to include them because you can get 'em for like $10 online.
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MoldOnHold
[QUOTE="MoldOnHold"]

XBOX 360
Premium system ($400) + 4 years Xbox Live (assuming that's how long the 360 lasts....$200) = $600

Just one note mate! If 360 lasts only for 4 years (as xbox did) then it sucks! IMHO the console life cycle should not shrink.

PLAYSTATION 3
Premium system ($600) + Decent Bluetooth headset ($50, better ones are at $100) = $650

Ok, I got some 'splaining to do. Basically, I'm sick of all the cows using the price of the HD-DVD drive to justify the price of the PS3. Bottom line, it has nothing to do with games.

We don't know this for sure yet. Let's just speculate for now!

However, in this generation, online play is major. Practically every 360 game has Live and Sony will soon follow suit with PSN.

masonos

Ah well IMHO I don't see anything major happening anytime soon. But hey I can always be wrong. Thanks for posting.
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
Why do you only count it for 4 years? Because it is less then PS3's price that way. News flash, Consoles usually last 5-6 years. Bias.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

"Basically, I'm sick of all the cows using the price of the HD-DVD drive to justify the price of the PS3"

I stopped reading right there.  Snapz!  Self-ownage :lol:

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
To be honest, none of this really matters, its up to every individual, if people feel the price of the PS3 justifies its purchase for whatever content it has, than so be it.  I personally buy console to play games and right now, the Wii and 360 have better games, which is why I currently have those 2 consoles.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts
but Xb Live is better than PSN, so they arent equal.
Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts
Not everyone is going to want to take their console online. I'm only interested in single-player mission/story based games on consoles and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I do play some online games on my PC but they are in genres that aren't available on the 360 yet (not anything good anyway.)
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

Let me start by saying that I like (and am getting) both consoles. I'm just making a point I found interesting.

XBOX 360

PLAYSTATION 3

Ok, I got some 'splaining to do. Basically, I'm sick of all the cows using the price of the HD-DVD drive to justify the price of the PS3. Bottom line, it has nothing to do with games. However, in this generation, online play is major. Practically every 360 game has Live and Sony will soon follow suit with PSN.

Cows also complain about how expensive Live is. That's just stupid. It's about $1 a week for a year. Sounds good to me. And even AFTER that, the PS3 is a more expensive ordeal if you want full online play. Sure you could say headsets aren't necessary, but the fact of the matter is, it's slowly becoming a norm especially for shooters and such. Think how much more fun Resistance would be if everyone had headsets.

And if you're REALLY against headsets, I invite you to chop off the $50 and look at the prices. It's the same.

MoldOnHold

I agree, I also own both. One thing ALOT of  people don't get that the majority of consumers don't have high speed. So the millions of potential buyers might not ever go online and thus no live and thus the only additional cost would be the games and controllers. Remember, the majority of internet users are dial up not high speed and would not be able to go online with the ps3 or the 360.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MoldOnHold
Why do you only count it for 4 years? Because it is less then PS3's price that way. News flash, Consoles usually last 5-6 years. Bias.jechtshot78
I didn't count 2006. Geez.
Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts
The price is a horrible reason to discount any console. "599 American Dollars" is easy to quote and is easy to use to make fun of the PS3, but it's hardly a legitimate attack on the system. The thing that will decide the next gen war is games, and to a lesser extent, the feature set of the systems. It's more like... the feature set will determine how many games each system gets, and then in turn the outcome is decided. One could say that 600 dollars is too much to pay for a system that offers "less useful" or "less complete" features, but that's subjective and blah blah blah, you know.

The values don't make a difference to me. It's the features and the game support that have gotten me to buy the 360, and not be ready to break the rest of the bank for a PS3 yet. Who knows what the future holds.

But I am sort of rambling, you make a good point, the price points of both systems are very similar.
MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MoldOnHold

"Basically, I'm sick of all the cows using the price of the HD-DVD drive to justify the price of the PS3"

I stopped reading right there. Snapz! Self-ownage :lol:

ColoradoKindBud

Um please explain to me how that is self ownage? I'm trying to say that I'm sick of if comparisons like the following. If anything, you owned yourself. http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8610/360vsps3ot4.jpg
nickbakopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nickbakopoulos
Member since 2004 • 259 Posts
Actually, I have said numerous times onm this forum, 360 may be my favourite console, but PS3 is BY FAR the best value of the 3 when you take all factors into consideration. For example, a Blu-Ray player may not be REQUIRED, but it's still a good feature. In Australian dollars to get the Xbox 360 up to the feature set of the PS3 you'd have to spend WAY more than just paying for the PS3 alone. PS3 = $999 Xbox 360 = $599 (there has been a price drop) plus $169 for WiFi, plus $249 for HD-DVD, at least $200 for new hard drive when it arrives, and you can forget a card reader.
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

Actually, I have said numerous times onm this forum, 360 may be my favourite console, but PS3 is BY FAR the best value of the 3 when you take all factors into consideration. For example, a Blu-Ray player may not be REQUIRED, but it's still a good feature. In Australian dollars to get the Xbox 360 up to the feature set of the PS3 you'd have to spend WAY more than just paying for the PS3 alone. PS3 = $999 Xbox 360 = $599 (there has been a price drop) plus $169 for WiFi, plus $249 for HD-DVD, at least $200 for new hard drive when it arrives, and you can forget a card reader.nickbakopoulos

Do you think the MAJORITY of the 360 owners will actually buy those add ons? I don't think so.

nickbakopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nickbakopoulos
Member since 2004 • 259 Posts
probably not, but I have/will
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

I thought you could get the first 2 years of XBL for like $20 or something with some deal.

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
Why do you only count it for 4 years? Because it is less then PS3's price that way. News flash, Consoles usually last 5-6 years. Bias.jechtshot78

Lets count batteries for the controllers too.Wait you have to replace the PS3 controllers when they run out. Bias!!!
So 5 bucks compared to 40 per controller of course
Tungsten88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Tungsten88
Member since 2006 • 1121 Posts

ColoradoKindBud

Am I misunderstanding you? The TC means that Sony justifies the price of the PS3 b/c of the available $200 HD-DVD drive for the 360.
Tasman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tasman_basic
Member since 2002 • 3255 Posts

ColoradoKindBud
No you just self owned fool. He's saying he is sick of cows saying the 360 needs the HD-DVD drive and that makes it the same price as a PS3. Are you a total ****ing moron or just tired?
avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 avenger_dot
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

XBOX 360

PLAYSTATION 3

MoldOnHold

And i am sick of those using Live to up 360 price, when demos are free, and half 360 owners do NOT play online, so it is 300-400$ for them, when PS3 is ...500-600$, now THAT is the real deal

rifts_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rifts_z
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts
[QUOTE="nickbakopoulos"]Actually, I have said numerous times onm this forum, 360 may be my favourite console, but PS3 is BY FAR the best value of the 3 when you take all factors into consideration. For example, a Blu-Ray player may not be REQUIRED, but it's still a good feature. In Australian dollars to get the Xbox 360 up to the feature set of the PS3 you'd have to spend WAY more than just paying for the PS3 alone. PS3 = $999 Xbox 360 = $599 (there has been a price drop) plus $169 for WiFi, plus $249 for HD-DVD, at least $200 for new hard drive when it arrives, and you can forget a card reader.

You are the wisest Lemming i hv seen!
Avatar image for Bleach_is_basic
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bleach_is_basic
Member since 2002 • 3020 Posts
[QUOTE="Nagidar"]Playstation 3 HD Cables? Not sure how much they are, but I know they aren't given with the system. Unless that changed.MoldOnHold
Meh I decided not to include them because you can get 'em for like $10 online.

If you're going to shop around online for HD cables you might as well shop around for LIVE! subscriptions as well. I'm pretty sure you can get a Gold Membership for like $30 online. That'd bring the cost of online for 4 years to $120. $400 + $120 = $520. While we're at it though you can already get PS3's below MSRP on EBAY, even after shipping costs are included...
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 echelon
Member since 2002 • 1199 Posts
It basically depends on what you need. I dont keep my wireless router next to my TV so I need a wireless adapter. The 360 adapter is very overpriced at $100. That makes my cost:

360: $400 + $20 (charge and play) + $100 wireless adapter + $200 (4 years of live) = $720
PS3: $600 + $10 (HDMI cable from monoprice) = $610

I dont use the headset on either and I already own a bluetooth headset but ill add that in as well. PS3: $660

For me the PS3 comes out cheaper in the long run and has a Blu-ray player built in. Not a necessity but nice to have. Basically Sony likes to add everything in at once and charge a high price. Microsoft likes to have tons of accessories and charge alot for them. Both ways you are still paying. And for the record I already own both and the price of neither really bothered me.
MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 MxM
Member since 2002 • 1064 Posts

XBox360 is 1 year on the market, 4 years to go, and you get your 5 years of console lifetime.
MxM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 MxM
Member since 2002 • 1064 Posts
Actually, I have said numerous times onm this forum, 360 may be my favourite console, but PS3 is BY FAR the best value of the 3 when you take all factors into consideration. nickbakopoulos

Of cause it is the best value. XBox360 is about break even, Wii is actually profitable, and for each PS3 sony losses something like $200. Sure, it is the best value for the customer. The problem is if you use all of that for games...
avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 avenger_dot
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

It basically depends on what you need. I dont keep my wireless router next to my TV so I need a wireless adapter. The 360 adapter is very overpriced at $100. That makes my cost:

360: $400 + $20 (charge and play) + $100 wireless adapter + $200 (4 years of live) = $720
PS3: $600 + $10 (HDMI cable from monoprice) = $610

I dont use the headset on either and I already own a bluetooth headset but ill add that in as well. PS3: $660

For me the PS3 comes out cheaper in the long run and has a Blu-ray player built in. Not a necessity but nice to have. Basically Sony likes to add everything in at once and charge a high price. Microsoft likes to have tons of accessories and charge alot for them. Both ways you are still paying. And for the record I already own both and the price of neither really bothered me.
echelon

What is that damn wireless adaptor ?? Why is it a must have ? I connect to Live without it

tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts
OMG, I won't use blu-ray for movie, so let's not count it.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MoldOnHold
OMG, I won't use blu-ray for movie, so let's not count it.

tranhgiang

Looks like you don't have much of a choice. :roll:
Letesmetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Letesmetty
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
Xbox Live may very well be the most overpriced thing I've seen this generation. I *was* going to get a 360 at one point but I'd rather have those 600 dollars go towards my PC instead.
BlueSaberWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlueSaberWolf
Member since 2006 • 581 Posts
[QUOTE="nickbakopoulos"]Actually, I have said numerous times onm this forum, 360 may be my favourite console, but PS3 is BY FAR the best value of the 3 when you take all factors into consideration. For example, a Blu-Ray player may not be REQUIRED, but it's still a good feature. In Australian dollars to get the Xbox 360 up to the feature set of the PS3 you'd have to spend WAY more than just paying for the PS3 alone. PS3 = $999 Xbox 360 = $599 (there has been a price drop) plus $169 for WiFi, plus $249 for HD-DVD, at least $200 for new hard drive when it arrives, and you can forget a card reader.

I agree.  $600 is not a bad price for it if your going to consider it as a multimedia hub.  If your going to add the price of the add on for 360 is much expensive than the ps3.  I am not going to list the price because it will be just a waste of time.  However, not all of this add ons are required to be bought to enjoy the console.  If we are just talking about the price value and taking every factors into consideration.  PS3 has a better price than than Xbox 360.  In addition, PS3 is not just a gaming console, but it also a multimedia hub.  For me, $600 is good price for it because, it is the cheapest blu ray player, it has wi fi, 60GB memory, and flash stick drive.  Personally, $499 for just a gaming console is a bit expensive.  I don't like spending too much just for games unlike the ps3 is designed for multimedia.
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts

XBOX 360

PLAYSTATION 3

MoldOnHold
You forgot to add the cost of the hd cables.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
add another year and thats a ps3 and a headset pal.
caywen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 caywen
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts

PS3 >>>>>>>> X360

Price-wise, that is.

MajorSport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MajorSport
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

PS3 >>>>>>>> X360

Price-wise, that is.

caywen

are you saying that the price of the ps3 is more than 360 or are you saying that the value of the ps3 (pricewise) is greater than te 360?
lilrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lilrush
Member since 2005 • 1695 Posts
You need to include the price of HD-DVD. and whyy? because PS3 has a next-gen format (blu-ray), so it's only fair to even them both out with a next-gen disc. I mean think, if you removed blu-ray from PS3, PS3 would cost the same as 360, or atleast a significant difference in price.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rob2223
You need to include the price of HD-DVD. and whyy? because PS3 has a next-gen format (blu-ray), so it's only fair to even them both out with a next-gen disc. I mean think, if you removed blu-ray from PS3, PS3 would cost the same as 360, or atleast a significant difference in price.lilrush

ya, ok soo you should add the price of a better online service to ps3, because Xb Live >>>>>>PSN
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

but Xb Live is better than PSN, so they arent equal.Rob2223

Blu-ray is better than DVD so its not equal

60Gb is better that 20 Gb so thats not equal either

Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rob2223

[QUOTE="Rob2223"]but Xb Live is better than PSN, so they arent equal.Blinblingthing

Blu-ray is better than DVD so its not equal

60Gb is better that 20 Gb so thats not equal either

ok, so its impossible to equalize them, so dont try :wink: buy what has your preference in games :wink:
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
Well said...

Though the fanboys will continue to huff anf puff and bicker...
liljon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 liljon546
Member since 2005 • 2301 Posts
Very good explenation.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
Does the 360 still come with a 1 year free gold membership to xbox live? Why on earth cows have been using the tacked on price per year of xbox live to make the price of their console sound better is beyond me.
-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
Good stuff :)A dude
BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
Fanboys will obviously say this is biased. If anything, it's not.
OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Xbox 360 + 4 Years of Live = $600

PS3 + 4 Years of Blu Ray Movies @20 a pop = $760 and that's only if you buy 2 movies a year..