360 holding back the PS3?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bandicoot89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bandicoot89
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

or is it actually more powerful than Sony's console, seeing that most multiplats look better on the 360?

360 is holding back the ps3

or PS3 is holding back the 360?

we all know that the xbox 360 can push almost twice as many polygons as the Ps3, so I think the 360 could potentially produce better graphics than the ps3 and it'd mean that many of us just bought in sony's pr **** that the ps3 is the most powerful console out there.

having both console I can see how the ps3 is a better multimedia system, much better than the 360 in that department, but if it wasn't for the exclusives and bluray, the ps3 would just be the worst system this gen.

and the effin system and game updates really ruin it for me, while on the 360 the same process is much much faster.

the 360 on the other hand sucks because it can scratch discs if you accidentally move it.. which shows how Ms doesn't even care about quality. I'd say that unlike the ps3, the 360 feels like a toy. Also the DVD9is kinda a big limitation, even Carmack stated that the 360 is the superior system but it'll probably get the worst version of Rage because of the compression sacrifices they gotta make in order to stuff all that data in 2 dvd's.

but the question is whether the 360 will ever show the theoretical higher graphics capabilities than the ps3. I guess we gotta wait for Gears 3 to figure that out.

Snakemaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Snakemaster9
Member since 2010 • 1420 Posts

Your holding back the PS3!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

both statements are wrong, as long as x360 and ps3 stay in direct competition both companies try to convince us to buy their system by delivering what the other can't :S

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
I don't think any console is holding each other back.
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I think that the 360 is more powerful at running games, better graphics and framerate, although ironically the graphics king are all on Ps3 now, but that's because Microsoft has a very thin first party support and maybe they don't care about pushing graphics.

but for gaming only the 360 takes the crown in terms of prowess, the ps3 has to really work hard on the Cell processor in order to make up for the weak graphics card and while they succeeded, I think the 360 can do more than that, the only limitation being the tiny 6,8 gb of storable data.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts
Developers are holding back the games because we keep buying the same stuff, and leaving the creative stuff on the shelves. No console is holding back the other, if that were the case then multiplats would look much better on the "superior" platform as they did last gen. This gen, they are so close it is not worth mentioning. Its tough to compare exclusives because they look different to every person, and supporters of that respective console will never concede to the other. These statements and articles are meant to fuel the console war and get web hits, nothing more. Looks like they succeeded ;)
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

for around the 124,457 time, the playstation 3 and the xbox 360 are pretty much on par.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 aia89
Developers are holding back the games because we keep buying the same stuff, and leaving the creative stuff on the shelves. No console is holding back the other, if that were the case then multiplats would look much better on the "superior" platform as they did last gen. This gen, they are so close it is not worth mentioning. Its tough to compare exclusives because they look different to every person, and supporters of that respective console will never concede to the other. These statements and articles are meant to fuel the console war and get web hits, nothing more. Looks like they succeeded ;)navyguy21
but technically speaking, the 360's graphics can achieve more than what you can on ps3.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 theuncharted34

I think that the 360 is more powerful at running games, better graphics and framerate, although ironically the graphics king are all on Ps3 now, but that's because Microsoft has a very thin first party support and maybe they don't care about pushing graphics.

but for gaming only the 360 takes the crown in terms of prowess, the ps3 has to really work hard on the Cell processor in order to make up for the weak graphics card and while they succeeded, I think the 360 can do more than that, the only limitation being the tiny 6,8 gb of storable data.

aia89

I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about.

EDIT: *looks at his other post*

nevermind, clearly you don't.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aia89

[QUOTE="aia89"]

theuncharted34

carmack himself said that the 360 can push more polygons than the PS3 and that the only big limitation for the 360 is the dvd limited storage.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="aia89"]

aia89

carmack himself said that the 360 can push more polygons than the 360 and that the only big limitation for the 360 is the dvd limited storage.

PS3 and 360 are the same.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

PC is holding back consoles... devs shouldn't even work on PC games anymore, no one plays them.

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
They're holding back PC...
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 navyguy21
[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="aia89"]

aia89

carmack himself said that the 360 can push more polygons than the 360 and that the only big limitation for the 360 is the dvd limited storage.

Pushing more polygons doesnt always equal better graphical fidelity. You may get rounder circles, more polys per character, etc, but as far as sheer graphical fidelity, they are still about equal, just harder for the PS3 to get there if you dont use custom engines and make concessions somewhere. Same for both actually
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aia89

for around the 124,457 time, the playstation 3 and the xbox 360 are pretty much on par.

theuncharted34
yes but in the graphics department 500 >>> 275 million polygons, so theoretically the 360 can do more than the ps3, but it lacks devs that focus on pushing the hardware.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 navyguy21
[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

aia89
yes but in the graphics department 500 >>> 275 million polygons, so theoretically the 360 can do more than the ps3, but it lacks devs that focus on pushing the hardware.

lol, you cant go by numbers on paper man. Those are just tests that they tout when when releasing the consoles. You will never push 500m polys with AI, textures, lighting, etc going on. Either way, yes, the 360 can push more polys theoretically, but in the end, no engine is built to push that many, probably not even on PC. Numbers are almost useless dude. Thats no better than Cows saying the cell is better than PC cpus because of numbers, or claiming that PS3 is more powerful than 360 based on numbers. Its pointless
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 aia89
[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

navyguy21

lol, you cant go by numbers on paper man. Those are just tests that they tout when when releasing the consoles. You will never push 500m polys with AI, textures, lighting, etc going on. Either way, yes, the 360 can push more polys theoretically, but in the end, no engine is built to push that many, probably not even on PC. Numbers are almost useless dude. Thats no better than Cows saying the cell is better than PC cpus because of numbers, or claiming that PS3 is more powerful than 360 based on numbers. Its pointless

at the end of the day the software is what defines a console and I'm totally for it, but it's also fair to point out that the ps3 is not twice as much powerful as the 360, because it's not. and of course a capable Pc plays in a total different league, I know it cause I also play on Pc and there's no context, but when it comes to exclusive games I must say I prefer consoles.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

They are both holding back the pc.

Neither is really more powerfull.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts
these are maybe the stupidest threads we see. Nobody on MS is holding back Sony or vice vresa. They are not enemies out to get each other at all costs. They probably read these forums and laugh at how some take this "sales competition" so seriously. Then they decide who is paying for Scores that night.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
I don't think any console is holding each other back. savetehhaloz
exactly
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Developers are holding back the games because we keep buying the same stuff, and leaving the creative stuff on the shelves. No console is holding back the other, if that were the case then multiplats would look much better on the "superior" platform as they did last gen. This gen, they are so close it is not worth mentioning. Its tough to compare exclusives because they look different to every person, and supporters of that respective console will never concede to the other. These statements and articles are meant to fuel the console war and get web hits, nothing more. Looks like they succeeded ;)navyguy21

This year GOWIII won most of the best graphics award and last year was Uncharted 2. You can't argue against a fact...

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
They are both holding the PC back
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="aia89"]

aia89

carmack himself said that the 360 can push more polygons than the PS3 and that the only big limitation for the 360 is the dvd limited storage.

this is extremely amusing.

not only are you trying to defeat my proven fact, your quoting outdated sources.

Because a few months ago John carmack came out and said that the ps3 is marginally more powerful than the xbox 360. Do you know what marginally means? it means by an insignificant amount. So it goes without saying, that both of these platforms are largely the same hardware wise.

It's true that the 360's xenos graphics chip is superior to the ps3's rsx gpu, but on the flipside, the ps3's cell is superior to the xbox 360's xenon cpu.

And what the cell can do to go beyond the limitations of its gpu, is offload graphics processing to the cell's spe's. So therefore, these two consoles are extremely close in power, the only difference is the ps3 has a non - pc like and unique architecture.

And if you try to bring on paper performance of hardware into this argument, you'll look even more misinformed.

So the best thing to do would be to stop.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Developers are holding back the games because we keep buying the same stuff, and leaving the creative stuff on the shelves. No console is holding back the other, if that were the case then multiplats would look much better on the "superior" platform as they did last gen. This gen, they are so close it is not worth mentioning. Its tough to compare exclusives because they look different to every person, and supporters of that respective console will never concede to the other. These statements and articles are meant to fuel the console war and get web hits, nothing more. Looks like they succeeded ;)Gue1

This year GOWIII won most of the best graphics award and last year was Uncharted 2. You can't argue against a fact...

it won awards for graphics. ps3 is definitely the better console because of this.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Developers are holding back the games because we keep buying the same stuff, and leaving the creative stuff on the shelves. No console is holding back the other, if that were the case then multiplats would look much better on the "superior" platform as they did last gen. This gen, they are so close it is not worth mentioning. Its tough to compare exclusives because they look different to every person, and supporters of that respective console will never concede to the other. These statements and articles are meant to fuel the console war and get web hits, nothing more. Looks like they succeeded ;)Gue1

The fact that GOW3 and Uncharted captured the popular opinion? Because that's all that means. MGS4 won best graphics over Crysis here at GS. That should tell you how seriously to take those "awards".
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aia89

[QUOTE="aia89"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

not only are you trying to defeat my proven fact, your quoting outdated sources.

Because a few months ago John carmack came out and said that the ps3 is marginally more powerful than the xbox 360. Do you know what marginally means? it means by an insignificant amount. So it goes without saying, that both of these platforms are largely the same hardware wise.

It's true that the 360's xenos graphics chip is superior to the ps3's rsx gpu, but on the flipside, the ps3's cell is superior to the xbox 360's xenon cpu.

And what the cell can do to go beyond the limitations of its gpu, is offload graphics processing to the cell's spe's. So therefore, these two consoles are extremely close in power, the only difference is the ps3 has a non - pc like and unique architecture.

And if you try to bring on paper performance of hardware into this argument, you'll look even more misinformed.

link or it didn't happen

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 navyguy21

Dude, let go of the back and forth for a minute. What i was saying is you cant say that one console cant do a certain exclusive because its just that.........exclusive. Trying to argue "well why havent we seen it" is just irrational because the same devs would have to work on the other version. That will never happen. GOW3 lookinb better THIS YEAR has nothing to do with one or the other consoles holding the other back.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

PS3 exclusives are proof that the ps3 is more powerful. If the 360 were more powerful, as you say, than its exclusives would prove otherwise.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="aia89"] carmack himself said that the 360 can push more polygons than the PS3 and that the only big limitation for the 360 is the dvd limited storage.

aia89

link or it didn't happen

Link

It happened. It's funny that you don't understand what a marginal difference is.

EDIT: the link got kind of messed up somehow, you'll have to scroll all the way down almost.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

PS3 exclusives are proof that the ps3 is more powerful. If the 360 were more powerful, as you say, than its exclusives would prove otherwise.

Pug-Nasty

I don't understand that. When Gears 1 came out, no game on the PS3 could touch it. Does that mean the 360 was more powerful?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 navyguy21

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

waltefmoney

I don't understand that. When Gears 1 came out, no game on the PS3 could touch it. Does that mean the 360 was more powerful?

It didnt count then, and now its different.............somehow :P
aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aia89

[QUOTE="aia89"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

link or it didn't happen

Link

It happened. It's funny that you don't understand what a marginal difference is.

EDIT: the link got kind of messed up somehow, you'll have to scroll all the way down almost.

I understand what "marginal difference" means, it's just that I needed the link to have a good read and to compare that content to what it was stated in this very section where someone linked a video with Carmack stating that the 360 is the superior system. thanks for the link

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

aia89

jesus... Why did I take you seriously?

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pug-Nasty

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

navyguy21

It didnt count then, and now its different.............somehow :P

Sure was, the ps3 hadn't even released yet (at least in the states). Since then a lot of games have come out for ps3 that not only look better in a still photo, but look better in motion. When the 360 has a game that looks better than anything on ps3, if it ever gets one again, you will have proof that it is more powerful, until the ps3 gets a game, if it does, that disproves that.

Simple enough?

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
The lack of blu ray on the 360 does hurt
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
I believe that both are equal, and i wish for next gen consles to have better resolution and frame rate.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Sure was, the ps3 hadn't even released yet (at least in the states). Since then a lot of games have come out for ps3 that not only look better in a still photo, but look better in motion. When the 360 has a game that looks better than anything on ps3, if it ever gets one again, you will have proof that it is more powerful, until the ps3 gets a game, if it does, that disproves that.

Simple enough?

Pug-Nasty

So the PS3 hardware was upgraded for the US release? Interesting.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I think both consoles are about on par. PS3 has advantages over 360 and vice versa.

antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
Lazy devs sloppy porting to PS3 because that don't care enough to understand or fully utilize its hardware hold back the ps3. 360 is easier to dev for, so they just choose it as the lead platform and just throw it onto the ps3 and hope nothing broke while doing that. (in a manner of speaking) am i saying one is superior to the other? no. all we have to go by are 1st party because they at least try. Sony's 1st party tries. Microsoft, do they even have a 1st party any more? the closest thing i can think of right now is Epic Games making Gears of War and they are actually trying. (not 1st party though, right?)
antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

waltefmoney

when Gears came out, it was just the unreal 3 engine which never saw light on the ps3 untill 2007 with unreal tournament 3. now uncharted: drake's fortune got released that year and looked pretty beast. Was the general consensus that it looked better than gears 1? i honestly don't remember. Never even tried the game until like mid 2008.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

Neither console is holding the other back. Their strengths and weaknesses have been revealed and they belong to each console respectively. How would the consoles hold eachother back when it comes to exclusives? They wouldn't - this argument is pointless.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pug-Nasty

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

Simple enough?

waltefmoney

So the PS3 hardware was upgraded for the US release? Interesting.

Yeah, that's all I said.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 aia89

[QUOTE="aia89"][QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

theuncharted34

I'm no fanboy like you. I own both consoles.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Most devs are interested in going multiplat to have almost double the userbase to market their game too, so these games will have the weaknesses of both systems and not very much of their strengths. Bluray in particular, where the dev could spend all that money to make complex video files and content like in MGS4 but what's the point if only half the potential market will see it?? Plus, it would probably sour relations with MS to release a ps3 version with more content

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

aia89

polygons is your excuse? Then i'll use Gigaflops, PS3 produces about 3 times as many... /thread(by your logic).
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="aia89"] yes but in the graphics department 500 >>> 275 million polygons, so theoretically the 360 can do more than the ps3, but it lacks devs that focus on pushing the hardware. aia89

I'm no fanboy like you. I own both consoles.

I'm not the one posting theoretical numbers that are numbers if the xbox 360 were only pushing raw polygon's without any textures, lighting or effects :|

I'm pretty sure I've defended the 360 in arguments as many times as I have the ps3, and I don't even own a 360. having both consoles doesn't keep someone from being a fanboy. which I doubt you do own both. And if you did, again, it doesn't keep you from acting how you just did.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

They're the same. :)

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Oh good someone already posted what I was going to say. I'd say it's publishers more than developers though, dev's have to conform to what a publisher thinks will sell and with game productions costs getting insane they're only going to give you a ton of money if it's something with a high chance of making them profit.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#49 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Console fanboys say stuff like this, then say that pc graphics aren't that much better. System wars sure is funny.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

theuncharted34

Sadly, nobody in SW will want to hear this. Cows especially.