30 FPS consoles isn’t such a problem on new TV’s

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

I have a midrange Samsung 4K display that I rarely use for gaming as it’s in the living room occupied by kids and movies most of the time. I usually game in my man cave on an older 1080p Samsung downstairs. Anyway, I have an X1X, and obviously my TV downstairs doesn’t take full advantage. All the complaints about games running 30 FPS are more apparent.

Last night I moved the console upstairs, and in addition to the beautiful resolution bump, HDR, etc, I noticed there was some sort of dynamic frame-syncing happening, eliminating any jutteriness and choppy frame loss. The smoothness of 60 FPS you’d see on any display was very closely emulated for this locked 30 FPS game (Assassins Creed Origins).

Does anyone know the name of this technology?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Would be a good start to provide the TV model....

Either way, there is no magic alternative to 60 FPS, what you are describing is your self-invented placebo effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This seems like a GioVela, magic TV thread.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

My TV has it too... PC Master race doesn't want to admit it though. I forget what it's called but it mimics an extra frame to output at 60hz or whatever. I have a 240hz and it looks a bit weird some times. I also have an older 1080p tv and the difference is amazing... Me and my nephew both play Monster Hunter on each tv, and that old one is a blurry mess compared to the newer one.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

Im waiting for the Sony A8f. Oled is where its at.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Have never had, and never will have a problem with gaming at 30 fps.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

My TV has it too... PC Master race doesn't want to admit it though. I forget what it's called but it mimics an extra frame to output at 60hz or whatever. I have a 240hz and it looks a bit weird some times. I also have an older 1080p tv and the difference is amazing... Me and my nephew both play Monster Hunter on each tv, and that old one is a blurry mess compared to the newer one.

@loganx77 said:

Im waiting for the Sony A8f. Oled is where its at.

Your TVs are not making your 30 fps seem like 60 fps.

Please stop typing stupid things. If you want high fps, get a PC.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Would be a good start to provide the TV model....

Either way, there is no magic alternative to 60 FPS, what you are describing is your self-invented placebo effect.

TVs apply motion blur and frame interpolation. It creates an illusion of smoothness. You're still playing with the horrendous input lag of 30 fps though, plus layers of extra input lag even above that due to all the post processing effects. That's why I laugh any time someone talks about "competitive" gaming on consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

LOL.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UssjTrunks

@mandzilla said:

Have never had, and never will have a problem with gaming at 30 fps.

You would change your tune the moment you experience 144 fps, or even 60 fps (which is considered the bottom of the barrel on PC but is still an enormous upgrade over 30 fps).

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UssjTrunks

@joshrmeyer said:

It's called frame interpolation and it adds a metric shit ton of input lag. I know Samsung TVs have it (they call it "Auto Motion Plus"), but I'm sure it's on all models these days under some name or another.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nomadic8280

There IS dynamic frame-syncing tech. AMD literally calls it “Framesync” and it’s found in monitors. Something very similar is going on in these newer TVs, the refresh rate is dynamically altered to smooth out the motion. It’s real. If I imagined it, I wouldn’t have made a thread about it, admitting that 30 FPS doesn’t look so hot...on my old TV. On my new one, it really is improved remarkably. I guess it’s something you gotta see for yourself.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UssjTrunks
@nomadic8280 said:

There IS dynamic frame-syncing tech. AMD literally calls it “Framesync” and it’s found in monitors. Something very similar is going on in these newer TVs, the refresh rate is dynamically altered to smooth out the motion. It’s real. If I imagined it, I wouldn’t have made a thread about it, admitting that 30 FPS doesn’t look so hot...on my old TV. On my new one, it really is improved remarkably. I guess it’s something you gotta see for yourself.

Adaptive sync doesn't mimic higher FPS. It just gets rid of screen tearing at frames below the refresh rate.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

@nomadic8280 said:

F-sync dont make your FPS higher , LOL, it just removing screen tearing and support variable refresh rate

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

You just like rarely exposed to 60 fps, it just like you say Hanna from your village is the most beautiful girl , then after move to the Town you meet Jennifer then after that you won't go back to Hanna anymore, LOL

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nomadic8280

At no where, at all, did I say anything about my TV actually bumping up the FPS of a game I already said was locked at 30 FPS.

Let’s get this out of the way too: I never said it was equal to or better than 60 FPS. I merely said the smoothness of 60 FPS is very closely emulated. Perfect? No. Better and much more enjoyable? Yes.

About the input lag: Yes on standard settings, the input lag was unbelievable. On Game Mode it’s vastly improved, yet the effect I’m describing is still there.

Forgive my ignorance on this next question, but hypothetically speaking, wouldn’t decreasing the refresh rate to 30hz elimate the blur of 60hz/30fps?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Yeah, I played ps1 games, often at 20-30 fps, and was ok with it. Once I got a pc and experienced 80+ fps, consoles give me a headache now. It’s all about what you become accustomed to.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#19  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17798 Posts

@nomadic8280: First off, there is no such thing as AMD "Framesync". It is called FreeSync and it is a variable refresh rate technology similar to Nvidia G-Sync. 30fps is still shit with either technology. The added smoothness that you are perceiving is being done by the post processing of your TV.

Unfortunately, there is no substitute for all the frames being present. So, any added frame interpolation / motion smoothing / anti-judder bullshit just makes things feel unnatural and is most likely ruining the image quality as well with artifacts.

I am positive that you don't have a magic TV that can do miracles, but bless your heart for putting up with it. For the rest of us who game at 60fps or higher on a regular basis and care about quality, I am sure what you think is good, is still shit.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

If you have motion interpolation enabled you probably suffer from severe input lag, would enable game mode.

Edit: Read the thread, then post lul. OH and VRR (variable refresh rate tech) isn't supposed to be out yet for TVs.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nomadic8280

Gonna say this one more time: the title of the thread is “30 FPS isn’t such a problem on newer TVs, not “I have a magic TV that doubles my frame rate!”

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Man, the input lag on that must be so bad.

I mean, okay, for casual gaming, I think it's fine. But for those of use who wants something more responsive, gaming monitors will still be the best option for quality and performance.

Oh, by the way, it's not like you can't hook your PC to the TV and achieve that real 60fps without that horrible frame interp.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Frame interpolation is terrible and adds tons of input lag. Try it in any competitive or fast-paced game, and just watch how often you lose. Turn it off. You'll thank me later.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoshRMeyer

@drserigala: "Village"?? Lol we don't have those here but it'd be cool if we did.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer

@UssjTrunks: Yeaahhhh... That's the name. If there's lag, I haven't noticed(I'm sure there is some though). Not sure who I was talking to before, but I've been using gaming mode now... I think it turned that off. Still looks way better than my older tv though.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoshRMeyer

@zaryia: It looks better, period. I don't know what it is, or the tech behind it. And no, I'm not buying a PC... Monster Hunter isn't even on there yet.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer

@UssjTrunks: Competitive gaming on consoles makes more sense... Same hardware, same input lag, etc. On PC, it's whoever has the best hardware has an advantage.... Not because they are better than someone else. It's like racing an expensive sports car vs an average price sports car... It's obvious where the advantage is... How is that competitive?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zaryia

@joshrmeyer said:

@zaryia: It looks better, period.

Next to no video game looks better on console.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaryia

@joshrmeyer said:

@UssjTrunks: Competitive gaming on consoles makes more sense...

A majority of competitive gaming is done on PC due to better controls and 60fps+

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@UssjTrunks: Competitive gaming on consoles makes more sense... Same hardware, same input lag, etc. On PC, it's whoever has the best hardware has an advantage.... Not because they are better than someone else. It's like racing an expensive sports car vs an average price sports car... It's obvious where the advantage is... How is that competitive?

The skill ceiling on PC is limited only by your reflexes. It's that old 1:1 mouse advantage. Many competitive PC gamers turn off all the fancy graphics when in tourney play, anyway. With consoles there's no 1:1 control input, it's all interpretive, which means the control method puts a hard ceiling cap that skills just can't burst through.

Example: rocket jump off a wall repeatedly and reliably with a controller in TF2. You won't be able to do it.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JasonOfA36

@joshrmeyer said:

If this was the case, Dota 2, CSGO, PUBG, etc wouldn't be mostly tourneyed and played on PC.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LoganX77

@zaryia: Console exclusives shit stomp PC games. And I never said a TV gave you better framerates. HDR plus OLED is the best visual experience though and PC doesn't take advantage of it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zaryia
@loganx77 said:

HDR plus OLED is the best visual experience though and PC doesn't take advantage of it.

That is your opinion, please stop forming sentences as if they are facts. According to digital foundry over 90% of video games this gen (or any gen) objectively look better on PC and look smoother on PC (FPS). I trust them over you (as well as my own eyes). DF is better citation than you. That means a significant majority of the time PC will be giving you the better visual experience. Even the tiny amount of games that have those HDR functions still look better on PC, as DF said XB1X HDR Witcher 3 was not better than the PC version. This isn't even including mods.

TLDR: Most games look and run better on PC. Including the handful with HDR. Objectively speaking.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@nomadic8280 said:

I have a midrange Samsung 4K display that I rarely use for gaming as it’s in the living room occupied by kids and movies most of the time. I usually game in my man cave on an older 1080p Samsung downstairs. Anyway, I have an X1X, and obviously my TV downstairs doesn’t take full advantage. All the complaints about games running 30 FPS are more apparent.

Last night I moved the console upstairs, and in addition to the beautiful resolution bump, HDR, etc, I noticed there was some sort of dynamic frame-syncing happening, eliminating any jutteriness and choppy frame loss. The smoothness of 60 FPS you’d see on any display was very closely emulated for this locked 30 FPS game (Assassins Creed Origins).

Does anyone know the name of this technology?

I have a newer Samsung TV that does the samething, so I know exactly what you're talking about. However, I'm not seeing a name for this feature anywhere in my manual.

Interesting thing is that I have two Samsung TVs that are both the same size, have the same resolution (1080p), the same Motion rate (60), but the newer one clearly displays far smoother motion than the other. No idea how this is being achieved, but it's really nice.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

You mean that soap opera effect that they implement on modern TVs?

It's just refreshing x2. Pretty sure it fucks up the input.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoshRMeyer

@zaryia: "Next to no video game looks better on console."

I'm really hoping English isn't your first language because your reading skills are severely lacking. This whole thread is about TVs. When I said it looks better, I'm talking about the difference between one TV I own and another TV I own. This thread isn't about PCs. Console graphics can be dummied down to hit 60 fps also. But that's not what the thread is about.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JoshRMeyer

@jasonofa36: Only one of those games are on console... And there's no reason kb/m can't be used on any game. Console gamers just aren't in the market for those types of games(If they were, they'd be on consoles). My point was that the playing field would be the same.... Same controller, same performance. If the dev wants to use m/kb, they have that option.(at least on PS4). Just my thoughts on competitive multiplayer gaming.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JoshRMeyer

@zaryia: "TLDR: Most games look and run better on PC. Including the handful with HDR. Objectively speaking."

You need to define what PC is, because if you try to run any newer games on my PC, my PS4 will look way better. So if you are gonna try to compare PC with a console, like Xbox one X, then you need to use a PC that cost the same. Otherwise all you are saying is that a much more expensive machine runs games better than a cheaper one.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LoganX77

@zaryia: Errr no they really don't, PS4 exclusives look the best and if you take DFs citation as truth know that HZD won best graphics there and rightfully so. Especially in HDR which you simply can't experience on PC.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JasonOfA36
@joshrmeyer said:

@jasonofa36: Only one of those games are on console... And there's no reason kb/m can't be used on any game. Console gamers just aren't in the market for those types of games(If they were, they'd be on consoles). My point was that the playing field would be the same.... Same controller, same performance. If the dev wants to use m/kb, they have that option.(at least on PS4). Just my thoughts on competitive multiplayer gaming.

Tourneys provide the PCs needed for the games. Only peripherals are different because it's preferential. But a lot of those tourneys check the peripherals each pros use.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@jasonofa36: Yeah, it's interesting how all that works. I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I just have a different view on how I think it should be. Like any other sport, there's rules... A QB can't choose what ball he wants to use(or how inflated it is lol), his outfit even has to be the same. I don't watch e-sports so this isn't really a discussion I want to have lol no offense. Isn't Splatoon a e-sports game? Pretty sure that's all the same hardware and peripherals... But I could be wrong. Nice chat, but this thread is about how console gaming at 30fps isn't that bad on a TV... We got way off topic now.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50548 Posts

is this the motion plus shit that gives tvs the soap opera effect? If so, yuck. It's shit

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UssjTrunks

@loganx77 said:

@zaryia: Console exclusives shit stomp PC games. And I never said a TV gave you better framerates. HDR plus OLED is the best visual experience though and PC doesn't take advantage of it.

Higher FPS is objectively the most important factor for determining the quality of a visual experience. 144 FPS looks like motion that is happening in real time, as if your monitor is a window.

It also reduces input lag to imperceptible levels, allowing near 1:1 tracking.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UssjTrunks

@joshrmeyer said:

@zaryia: "TLDR: Most games look and run better on PC. Including the handful with HDR. Objectively speaking."

You need to define what PC is, because if you try to run any newer games on my PC, my PS4 will look way better. So if you are gonna try to compare PC with a console, like Xbox one X, then you need to use a PC that cost the same. Otherwise all you are saying is that a much more expensive machine runs games better than a cheaper one.

PC gamers have the option to buy high end systems. Console gamers don't. Why should PC gamers be dragged down to console levels? High end hardware is the PC's competitive advantage. Price is irrelevant.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LoganX77

@UssjTrunks: lol fps doesnt effect visuals. Performance but not visuals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#46 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I really don't care much about 30 or 60 FPS but the soap opera effect doesn't equate to true 60 FPS, specially because it adds input lag instead of reducing it.

I'll say, if you really care about 60 FPS just get a PC instead.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

MAGIC

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Ignore the Hermits on this thread...... they act like frame rate is everything and yet none of them have a PC capable of running the resolutions and frame rates they claim in every game.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Ignore the Hermits on this thread...... they act like frame rate is everything and yet none of them have a PC capable of running the resolutions and frame rates they claim in every game.

Interpolated salt

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts