Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58928 Posts

Geforce, later.

2K joins Bethesda and Activision in pulling its games from GeForce Now

2K is the latest publisher to pull its games from GeForce Now, Nvidia's streaming service.

Already we've seen Activision and Bethesda remove (most of) their portfolios, and now players have lost access to 2K's games too, including franchises like Borderlands, Bioshock, Mafia, X-Com, and Civilization, amongst others.

As Wes summarised a few weeks back, GeForce Now ties into your existing PC library across a range of online storefronts, allowing you to play your games on computers, smartphones and tablets. It offers two access tiers to the system: the free offering lets users access the cloud system for a session of up to one hour - good enough for a game of Fortnite. After that, there's nothing stopping the user from starting another session, though if the servers are fully occupied, a wait may be required.

Then there's the Founder's Edition tier, priced at £4.99 / €5.49 / $4.99 per month for the first 12 months - with the first three months free via a trial. Founders get to jump the queue for server availability and can also access hardware-accelerated ray tracing features in supported games. (Digital Foundry has more here.)

"Per publisher request, please be advised 2K Games titles will be removed from GeForce Now today," Nvidia announced in a forum post overnight. "We are working with 2K Games to re-enable their games in the future."

"This is really garbage," complained one user. "I bought extra borderlands 3 because I can play it with the highest resolution and graphics settings on GFN. another game that I can no longer use. Tsss, there are fewer and fewer. Meanwhile it would be better to buy a better pc than to rent a high end pc."

"At this point GeForce Now is cancelled, just accept the fact that you are not capable to provide a good cloud gaming service and move on, I cancelled my subscription," added another.

"Sorry guys but this is getting laughable," said someone else. "By the time my free 3 months end, there will be nothing to play, so what reason would I have to start paying?"

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Streaming LOL. Google just paying them, what did anyone expect. One of the wealthiest companies on the planet, can do what they want.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup  Online

Based Tim lord.

Some publishers may be abandoning GeForce Now, but Epic "is wholeheartedly supporting" the service

Epic boss Tim Sweeney insists "it's the most developer-friendly and publisher-friendly of the major streaming services".

2K may have recently joinedActivision and Bethesda in removing its portfolio from GeForce Now, Nvidia's streaming service, but it seems the service's biggest game - Fortnite - isn't going anywhere just yet.

"Epic is wholeheartedly supporting NVIDIA's GeForce Now service with Fortnite and with Epic Games Store titles that choose to participate (including exclusives), and we'll be improving the integration over time," Epic Games' boss, Tim Sweeney, announced on Twitter. "It's the most developer-friendly and publisher-friendly of the major streaming services, with zero tax on game revenue. Game companies who want to move the game industry towards a healthier state for everyone should be supporting this kind of service!

"Cloud streaming services will also be key players in ending the iOS and Google Play payment monopolies and their 30 per cent taxes," Sweeney added. "Apple has decreed that these services aren't allowed to exist on iOS, and therefore aren't allowed to compete, which is megalomaniacal and won't stand.

Tim Sweeney@TimSweeneyEpic

Epic is wholeheartedly supporting NVIDIA’s GeForce NOW service with Fortnite and with Epic Games Store titles that choose to participate (including exclusives), and we’ll be improving the integration over time.

2,03112:18 AM - Mar 7, 2020Twitter Ads info and privacy

376 people are talking about this

"Just waiting till later this year when Google is lobbying against Apple for blocking Stadia from iOS, while Google blocks GeForce NOW, xCloud, and Fortnite from Google Play, and this whole rotten structure begins collapsing in on itself."

As Wes summarised a few weeks back, GeForce Now ties into your existing PC library across a range of online storefronts, allowing you to play your games on computers, smartphones and tablets. It offers two access tiers to the system: the free offering lets users access the cloud system for a session of up to one hour - good enough for a game of Fortnite.

Founders get to jump the queue for server availability and can also access hardware-accelerated ray tracing features in supported games - Digital Foundry has more here.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

All this is, is pure greed. Just because Nvidia is charging people for the renting of a virtual PC, these publishers want a piece of the pie being made.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

The more popular it gets, the more publishers will pull out because they want a cut of the money. Game Streaming is all about greed now and this shows you why most publishers are leaving GeForce Now so they can run their own damn streaming service. But in another way, I like it. that way, this whole game streaming will blow up in their faces when gamers won't support different clients when it all should have stayed on GeForce Now.

@04dcarraher said:

All this is, is pure greed. Just because Nvidia is charging people for the renting of a virtual PC, these publishers want a piece of the pie being made.

“Nvidia isn’t giving us a cut so we’re gonna head out”

Greed is definitely the driving factor here. This is why cloud gaming isn't becoming the future anytime soon and don't get me wrong, I love the idea of GeForce Now, but when you have foolish greedy developers not working together, cloud gaming just won't work because greed gets in the way.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yeah, unfortunately, GeForce Now seems to be doomed for precisely the opposite reason Stadia is struggling; it's too consumer friendly. GeForce Now lets you play games you've already bought, and publishers would rather you double-dip and buy the same game on new platforms, because it makes them more money.

Pity.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Why do you think all these publishers are creating their own stores? there will never be ONE universal platform, its the same with music and movie streaming services, everyone big enough with the money is pulling their content and creating their own service.

Its no different to console exclusivity when you think about it.

There will be a streaming future but it won't be one service, your going to need to get 3-4 services to get all the games... Or worse, it could end up being all publishers get in on it eventually.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

I just wish someone sue the companies for preventing them playing the games they already own a license to use. Only Blizzard's EULA is the one which specifically dictates on how they use their game which is a d**k move of the highest order.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I heard this discussed on NPR of all places, the main contention is the service bridges user library rights, so say if you own a game on Steam or GOG and use the Nvidia service, nevermind you own the games, the publishers feels users and Nvidia need to pay extra licensing payments to them.

Seems greedy to me. If they say they fear multiple people can use library bridging system to share games, that I can get, but have either Activision or Bethesda made that assertion?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Publishers are pure scum.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Physical media is the only thing that matters

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 uninspiredcup  Online

@general_solo76 said:

Physical media is the only thing that matters

Be lucky if that lasts the next 10 years.

The worrying thing here is them having total, one-sided control.

Even on Steam, just this month EA randomly jacked up the prices of games by as much as 50% outside America, and it goes without saying all the current shit they are trying to pull and setting up for next gen like the leaked AI patent for suggesting microtransactions like you have maliware in your game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Death to streaming, no matter who does it.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Good!

Nvidia is screwing over publishers/developers with this move. Nvidia is profiting off of this when they shouldn’t.

I support the game companies.