2018 one of the worst years in Gaming in the past 20 years?

• 91 results
Edited 17 days, 4 hours ago

Poll: 2018 one of the worst years in Gaming in the past 20 years? (97 votes)

Yes. 18%
No. 82%

Other than Red Dead Redemption 2 I don't see much appeal, maybe Battlefield V but it feels like been there done that.

I mean in 2019 we already had a re-release of Onimusha. As a hard core PC Gamer and not owning a Playstation 2 at the time I always wanted to play Onimusha. And we had a pretty good re-make of Resident Evil 2 (which is another game I missed out being a PC Gamer at the time). And that's only one month so far this year.

I would say it's up there with 2014 and 2008. From 1998 - 2018 I would say it was one of the worst year if not the worst. Probably the worst. Agree or disagree? If disagree which year was worse?

#51 Edited by lundy86_4 (51602 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Are you slow or don't you know what the word's "I digress" mean?

You have my whole quote there so read it stawman.

but you're right you are desperately getting off the point with all this deflection. The point of my post was to call hypocritical fanboys who conditionally use the term, "movie game" to describe any game that uses cinematics to help drive the narration of a game when it's a Sony title but rabidly argue against the same critera when it's a 3rd party multi platform game.

This is RE2 cutscene count after removing QTE sections

CINEMATIC COUNTER VS GAMEPLAY 1st hour:

CUTSCENE: 0:00 - 3:10

gameplay: 3:11 - 3:23 (12 seconds)

CUTSCENE: 3:24 - 3:43

gameplay: 3:44 - 5:56

CUTSCENE: 5:57 - 11:07

gameplay: 11:08 - 12:00

CUTSCENE: 12:01 - 12:15

gameplay: 12:16 - 12:41

CUTSCENE: 12:42 - 13:25

gameplay: 13:26 - 13:57

CUTSCENE: 13:58 - 14:19

gameplay: 14:20 - 15:43

CUTSCENE: 15:44 - 16:25

Automated menu event: 16:26 - 16:31

gameplay: 16:32 - 17:19

CUTSCENE: 17:20 - 19:42

Automated menu event: 19:43 - 19:50

gameplay: 19:51 - 22:46

CUTSCENE: 22:47 - 23:09

gameplay: 23:10 -36:09

CUTSCENE: 36:10 - 36:41

gameplay: 36:42 - 39:17

CUTSCENE: 39:18 - 40:44

gameplay: 40:45 - 58:40

CUTSCENE: 58:41 - 58:59

gameplay: 59:00 - 1:00:01

CUTSCENE: 1:00:02 - 1:01:30

Is this a movie game yes or no?

Let's hear your goal post argument, mental gymnastic, damage control!

You've literally bandied about, and then tried to accuse me of mental gymnastics and damage control? Thankfully, i'm not as easy to distract as you think. So, we've determined that your definition of "QTE" was woefully incorrect, and thus you've now removed those "QTE" segments, and are now attempting to define "movie-game" moments. Now, for the second time, what denotes a movie-game? I'll make it larger...

WHAT DENOTES A MOVIE-GAME?

What amount of time for movies to gameplay ratio show this? Thanks.

#52 Posted by lundy86_4 (51602 posts) -

Anyway, i'm gonna go "do" some herb and get high. If I don't respond, i'll get to you tomorrow if I have time.

#53 Edited by BoxRekt (620 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

This is RE2 cutscene count after removing QTE sections

CINEMATIC COUNTER VS GAMEPLAY 1st hour:

CUTSCENE: 0:00 - 3:10

gameplay: 3:11 - 3:23 (12 seconds)

CUTSCENE: 3:24 - 3:43

gameplay: 3:44 - 5:56

CUTSCENE: 5:57 - 11:07

gameplay: 11:08 - 12:00

CUTSCENE: 12:01 - 12:15

gameplay: 12:16 - 12:41

CUTSCENE: 12:42 - 13:25

gameplay: 13:26 - 13:57

CUTSCENE: 13:58 - 14:19

gameplay: 14:20 - 15:43

CUTSCENE: 15:44 - 16:25

Automated menu event: 16:26 - 16:31

gameplay: 16:32 - 17:19

CUTSCENE: 17:20 - 19:42

Automated menu event: 19:43 - 19:50

gameplay: 19:51 - 22:46

CUTSCENE: 22:47 - 23:09

gameplay: 23:10 -36:09

CUTSCENE: 36:10 - 36:41

gameplay: 36:42 - 39:17

CUTSCENE: 39:18 - 40:44

gameplay: 40:45 - 58:40

CUTSCENE: 58:41 - 58:59

gameplay: 59:00 - 1:00:01

CUTSCENE: 1:00:02 - 1:01:30

This is just the first hour, damage control away!

Nothing to damage control. What denotes a movie-game?You posted the time breakdown, so you must have a specific limit in mind. Otherwise I could simply say... No, it does not show a "movie-game."

Of course you would but, "the burden of proof is on you" right?

So why isn't RE2 a movie game unlike all AAA Sony titles that get called movie games?

You tell me what denotes a movie game fanboy! I don't defend nor try to validate the term I simply refer to the things used to make that claim and I've pointed them out several times.

I see users call it the Sony formula or simply say 3rd person narrative driven, cinematic game with multiple cut scenes and "QTEs" (guess we can call them puzzles now) that interrupt gameplay.

Or are you not willing to make a definitive statement about what a movie is?

If not then remove yourself from the conversation.

#54 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1622 posts) -

While I think 2017 was better, 2018 was certainly no slouch. Switch got some great games like Octopath, Smash Bros. and World Ends With You. PS4 got some great games like Spidey, God of War and Yakuza 6/Kiwami 2. Xbox got some great games in Forza Horizon 4 and Sea of Thieves (esp. after the early patches). This isn’t even counting great 3rd-party non-exclusives (Celeste, Dead Cells, RDR2, Far Cry 5, Hitman 2) and PC games like “Obra Dinn” and “A Case of Distrust.”

I take back what I initially said: 2018 was just good as, if not better than, 2017.

#55 Edited by lundy86_4 (51602 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

So why isn't RE2 a movie game unlike all AAA Sony titles that get called movie games? Or are you not willing to make a difinitive statement about what a movie game is? And if not then why did you butt in the conversation about movie games?

Well, of course. You didn't stipulate a single thing. Me denying it would be simple practice, as you didn't provide the sufficient evidence. I'm genuinely not sure if you're struggling, or just deflecting.

I don't need to make any definitive statement. That's on you...

----

This might be easier to understand...

YOU MAKE CLAIM UGGG....

YOU NEED PROVIDE EVIDENCE...

----

Again, what stipulates a movie game, and how does that equate to RE2. Do keep in mind, anything you say, unless backed up by third-party (reputable) sources, is still just your opinion.

#56 Edited by madsnakehhh (16368 posts) -

I'm going to go with ... not at all.

Sure, i'm not goint to pretend it was the best year in gaming, but it wasn't as bad as you made it out to be. We had Smash, Spiderman and Red Dead Redemption, all of them which are arguably some of the most important games this gen have to offer.

#57 Edited by BoxRekt (620 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

So why isn't RE2 a movie game unlike all AAA Sony titles that get called movie games? Or are you not willing to make a difinitive statement about what a movie game is? And if not then why did you butt in the conversation about movie games?

I don't need to make any definitive statement.

There get out of the conversation!

I see users call it the Sony formula or simply say 3rd person narrative driven, cinematic game with multiple cut scenes and "QTEs" (guess we can call them puzzles now) that interrupt gameplay.

It's not my terminology nor do I defend it, but YOU are trying to defend RE2 from that label when it fits every argument used to classify Sony games with that title so you DO need to make a definitive statement if you're going to insist on jumping on the discussion.

Again if you can not make a definitive statement about what a movie game is, remove yourself from the conversation.

#58 Posted by VFighter (4319 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: Lol, how was RE5 a movie game? Itscthe most action packed game of the series with tons of gameplay.Why don't you sit this one out and let the grown ups talk.

#59 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24993 posts) -

2018 was pretty good if you're into first person shooters on PC. Hunt: Showdown, Ring of Elysium, Battlefield 5, World War 3, and a good version of PUBG. Escape from Tarkov was also fun for a good bit, but is heavily flawed.

We had some 3rd person fun with Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Hitman 2, God of War for the playstation fans, and RDR 2 which I thought looked okay.

Overall, it's been a good year.

RE2 is awesome, however, and Metro looks sweet, so we're already off to a good start this year.

Technically, every year is better than the last, since you can go back and play any single game you like made previously, barring MP games that are dead, or being a console only gamer and being at the mercy of Microsoft and Playstation overlords to throw you a remastered or backwards compatible bone.

#60 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24993 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@boxrekt said:

I don't need to make any definitive statement.

There get out of the conversation!

It's not my terminology nor do I defend it, but YOU are trying to defend RE2 from that label when it fits every argument used to classify Sony games with that title so you DO need to make a definitive statement if you're going to insist on jumping on the discussion.

Again if you can not make a definitive statement about what a movie game is, remove yourself from the conversation.

The only narrative driven part in RE2 was the giant alligator for Leon's campaign. Movie games are usually considered games that pull control away from you often, and/or steer you in a certain direction while giving you limited gameplay control. Uncharted does this often by making you run through crumbling buildings, or swinging from a rope while being dragged by a truck.

The only thing in RE2 that could even be considered a QTE is when you are grabbed by a zombie, and you have the option to pull out your knife/grenade to counter the zombie. Otherwise, you are in complete control the entire game except for the few short cutscenes.

#61 Edited by Syn_Valence (1761 posts) -

Lemmings claim Horizon and God of War were movie games. So thus Resident Evil 2 remake is one too.

#62 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43050 posts) -

Nah, 2018 was all right.

AAA gaming continues it's deceptively slow backwards slide into sub-par offerings, but otherwise it was a solid year.

#63 Posted by PAL360 (29453 posts) -

No. I actually think it was one of the best years in gaming, ever.

#64 Posted by That_Old_Guy (773 posts) -

And you say you’re not jaded.

#65 Edited by Daredevils2k (1859 posts) -

Probably the worse for lemmings, but for cows and sheep’s, it was like heaven to them , because all of the new games they got to play.

#66 Posted by pmanden (394 posts) -

@undefined: 2018 was a fine year, but 2019 will be even better.

#67 Posted by That_Old_Guy (773 posts) -

@ghosts4ever: movie games....

Super Mario had no story in 1985.

Should gaming not evolve? Are you one of those people scared of change?

#68 Posted by sovkhan (1180 posts) -

Sure in some XXX dimension :)

#69 Edited by Ghosts4ever (8823 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

2018 was pretty good if you're into first person shooters on PC. Hunt: Showdown, Ring of Elysium, Battlefield 5, World War 3, and a good version of PUBG. Escape from Tarkov was also fun for a good bit, but is heavily flawed.

im into FPS and i think it was pretty bad.

#70 Posted by Jag85 (12736 posts) -

@lundy86_4: Did Boxrekt seriously equate puzzles with QTEs? Wow, just wow. Now that's some insane mental gymnastics right there.

#71 Posted by pdogg93 (1325 posts) -

Only braindead lems with no games would think this.

#72 Posted by lundy86_4 (51602 posts) -

@Jag85: That, and IIRC, using an in-menu item to unlock a door or other things in RE2.

#73 Posted by knight-k (2332 posts) -

Was for PC and Xbox gamers.

#74 Posted by pyro1245 (4562 posts) -

2018 was a great year for the true gaming space: The A and AA market had a great year.

Even had some good, inoffensively-monetized AAA games in there.

You must have some strict limitations on the games you will allow yourself to play if you think 2018 was a bad year for gaming.

#75 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11341 posts) -

I think I might have personally enjoyed it more than 2017

-Celeste

-Dragon Quest XI

-Monster Hunter World

-God of War

-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

All these games are gold

#76 Posted by Xtasy26 (5371 posts) -
@Pedro said:

So heavy hitters like God of War, Spiderman, Pokemon Let's Go, Super Smash and your selected Red Dead 2, are all minor contributions in total? That's not including the spectacular sales of Monster Hunter World and Far Cry 5.

True. I wouldn't consider Pokemon Let's Go as a game equivalent to say Red Dead 2.

@Archangel3371 said:

Nope not at all, at least for me. I thought that it was a pretty damn good year. Just off the top of my head some games that I thought turned out really good were:

- Monster Hunter World

- Forza Horizon 4

- Octopath Traveler

- Soul Calibur VI

- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

- Red Dead Redemption 2

- Dragon FighterZ

- Blazblue Cross Tag Battle

- Spider-Man

- Dragon Quest XI

Forgot about that one.

@sakaixx said:

Only if you game on platforms other than ps4. 2017- 2018 have been a very fruitful year for the console users. Many classic

Maybe. :)

@ajstyles said:

2018 was a great year for actual Gamers aka PS4 owners.

If you are a switch owner or xbox owner, I can understand why you thought it sucked because switch suffered a massive game drought all year while Xbox...uh had Forza.

Hard to enjoy the switch/Xbox when they have no games.

Actual Gamers? Fanboy much?

#77 Posted by Xtasy26 (5371 posts) -
@zmanbarzel said:

While I think 2017 was better, 2018 was certainly no slouch. Switch got some great games like Octopath, Smash Bros. and World Ends With You. PS4 got some great games like Spidey, God of War and Yakuza 6/Kiwami 2. Xbox got some great games in Forza Horizon 4 and Sea of Thieves (esp. after the early patches). This isn’t even counting great 3rd-party non-exclusives (Celeste, Dead Cells, RDR2, Far Cry 5, Hitman 2) and PC games like “Obra Dinn” and “A Case of Distrust.”

I take back what I initially said: 2018 was just good as, if not better than, 2017.

Good list. Forza Horizon 4 was indeed good. :)

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

We had some 3rd person fun with Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and Hitman 2, God of War for the playstation fans, and RDR 2 which I thought looked okay.

Overall, it's been a good year.

RE2 is awesome, however, and Metro looks sweet, so we're already off to a good start this year.

Technically, every year is better than the last, since you can go back and play any single game you like made previously, barring MP games that are dead, or being a console only gamer and being at the mercy of Microsoft and Playstation overlords to throw you a remastered or backwards compatible bone.

World War 3 doesn't seem that appealing. Seems like a Battlefield clone. PUBG just turned into bunch of teenagers playing hours upon hours playing the game hence needing to invest that amount time to get good at it with no diverse gameplay. Will take Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 any day. :P

@mrbojangles25 said:

Nah, 2018 was all right.

AAA gaming continues it's deceptively slow backwards slide into sub-par offerings, but otherwise it was a solid year.

Agree totally maybe that's why I am making the statement that I did. 2018 seems like another year of regression when it comes to AAA gaming.

@that_old_guy said:

And you say you’re not jaded.

I am not. :)

#78 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8287 posts) -

I don't know how people can complain about 'good' and 'bad' gaming years these days. SO many games out there, more than you could ever play. During pre-online 6th gen and earlier consoles, you KNEW about a gaming drought. These days there's always something to play and download through digital stores.

#79 Edited by Xtasy26 (5371 posts) -
@SolidGame_basic said:

What rock do you live under?

Just stating what I believe. What other years were worse then?

@worlds_apart said:

Derailed thread. It's turned into a console war yet the TS is a PC gamer.

That was the fun part. :) Shh... don't tell. ;)

@fedor said:

Better than 2014 and 2016, worse than 2017 and likely 2019. So no, not one of the worst of the last 20 years.

I wouldn't say better than 2016. 2016 had reboot of Doom, Gears of War 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PC. Would say it was definitely better than 2008 and maybe 2014.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I like Far Cry 5. So, nope. 2018 wasn't a bad year. There were some years where I didn't buy a new game.

Would have to agree with you on that one. Far Cry 5 was definitely one of the better Far Cry games. Probably the best one since Far Cry 3.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#80 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2755 posts) -

I thought it was one of the best years.

#81 Posted by Mandzilla (3300 posts) -

@blackhairedhero: Very much so.

#82 Posted by phbz (4082 posts) -

Every year has been terrible with all the overrated games.

#84 Posted by BlackBalls (1498 posts) -

If you were a hermit or lemmings which have zero good exclusives then, yes.

But cows, sheeps and multiplatform games ruled 2018 - one of the best years this gen.

#85 Edited by Xtasy26 (5371 posts) -

I think 2018 will go down as a year of the Fortnight effect and how it impacted gaming.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fortnite-impact-gaming-companies-lose-204955990.html

Gaming companies are more focused now on few titles with emphasis on making money through in-game transactions. Gone are the days of making AAA titles that are unique or different or new IPs. Mostly it's just 2 - 3 titles that are repeat of last years and trying to milk money out of it. We won't have the variety we had say 15 years ago with Far Cry, Doom 3, Half-Life 2 or other titles in the mid-2000's like F.E.A.R., Quake 4, Prey or even a descent racing gaming like Need For Speed Most Wanted (2005). Even as recently as 10 years ago we got new excellent IPs that are single player like Bioshock. Yes, we had multiplayer titles like Q3 or UT series 20 years ago which were multiplayer but none of this turn every shooter into a Battle Royal Mode. :(

It's already impacting gaming companies as stated in the video in the form of layoffs with Activision laying of nearly a 1000 people and as the article stated. And funny as the article states they are focused on only few established games:

"Activision detailed its financial performance for the fourth quarter of 2018 and the year overall. As part of this, it noted that it "will increase development investment in its biggest franchises, enabling teams to accelerate the pace and quality of content for their communities and supporting a number of new product initiatives." It also cited that the number of developers that will be working on "Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Warcraft, Hearthstone and Diablo in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/activision-blizzard-lay-offs-impact-hundreds-despi/1100-6464969/

#86 Posted by sleepnsurf (3081 posts) -

Something smells like shit in this thread. I am guessing most know who's been chewing chocolate.

#87 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3659 posts) -

Is awesome. It gave me games like GOW, Yakuza and Spider-Man.

#89 Edited by dark_drag765 (1017 posts) -

Calling it 2019 will be a fail year. Expecting DMC5 to flop and Dead or Alive 6 to hyper flop(not that anyone is hyping DOA6 as aaa)

#90 Posted by blamix (759 posts) -

Well it was a great year for PS4 players.

#91 Posted by Macutchi (6535 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@fedor said:

@boxrekt: Quick button prompts that have a time limit, not puzzles. Just stop.

WRONG!

Apparently everybody has been using term quick time even to describe "puzzles" then because that's how it's be used for the majority of games.

I digress.

let's say you're right, why do the majority of people call anything that interrupts gameplay that isn't "timed" a QTE?

nah he's spot on there tbh pal.

iirc the term was first coined as quick timer events. that extra "r" helps capture their nature a little better than quick time events does. maybe there are some people who refer to standard puzzles as qtes but, as far as gs goes, i've been on these boards for years now and can't recall anyone making that mistake

#92 Posted by lamprey263 (35825 posts) -

Honestly, I am still playing catch up from previous year's releases to care about whether 2018 amounted to a stellar year. But there were some good ones I still haven't touched because like I said still playing catching up. I got too much to play and that's not a bad thing, and most games I start I have fun playing so not like I got any room to complain. And I really am not going to take seriously anybody whining about gaming like there's nothing good to play. Seriously, go find something fun to play, not that hard.