2014 marks four years since 3DS was announced. What next?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (81769 posts) -

(yes, I stole this topic from GAF, deal with it)

Anyway, the 3DS was announced March 31, 2010. Next year, it will have been a full four years since its initial announcement, and three since its release. What's next? How much longer will the 3DS be around? Will we get the first tease of their new handheld next year? Or is that still a couple of years away? What about in terms of software? What might the 3DS have lined for 2014 and beyond after an exceptionally strong 2013?

#2 Edited by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

Will be interesting to see what games they have planned in 2014. It seems like they've used pretty much every great IP of their's and brought a ton back I wonder what their plan is.

#3 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Go do your paper Char.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (81769 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

Will be interesting to see what games they have planned in 2014. It seems like they've used pretty much every great IP of their's and brought a ton back I wonder what their plan is.

Well, so far for 2014, we have Yoshi, Kirby, Bravely Default, Professor Layton and the Azrian Legacies, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, Super Smash Bros., Mario Golf, Theatrhythm: Curtain Call; apart from that, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire are very heavily hinted. Then there's potential localizations for Monster Hunter 4 and Dragon Quest VII. Finally, there still has not been a 3DS Metroid, Advance Wars, or F-Zero (lol).

There's potential for a lot of games if they are hell bent on mining their complete back catalog.

#5 Edited by Samus3D (1953 posts) -

There are still tons of franchises you know are guaranteed each Nintendo handheld, but have not been announced for 3DS such as Metroid, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Mega Man.

#6 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

@Samus3D said:

There are still tons of franchises you know are guaranteed each Nintendo handheld, but have not been announced for 3DS such as Metroid, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Mega Man.

Good luck waiting for new Final Fantasy (brand new RPGs) and Mega Man games.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#7 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

A, aaa title?

Maybe, who knows? One can dream.

#8 Posted by Samus3D (1953 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Samus3D said:

Oh we'll get a Mega Man on 3DS. New Final Fantasy RPG's are unlikely, remakes are not.

#9 Edited by osan0 (14775 posts) -

if MH4 comes with full online next year then thatll be 100s of hours of life gone for me :).

i dont think we will get much info on the 3DSs successor until 2015. maybe some rumours and speculation towards the end of next year but nothing solid. probably wont have a release until late 2016.

as usual we may or may not see a 3DS revision next year though. the first 3DS model is still due its overhaul.

as for games...i will probably be playing catchup with this years games for a lot of next year so i hope the pace of releases slows down a little but the bar is still raised in terms of quality. 2013 will be hard to top though.

itll be interesting to see what nintendo do with their next handheld. i think its pretty safe to say 3D will be gone. its not a system seller and its a divisive issue (personally i like it but i seem to be in a minority). capacitive touch screen? maybe. tegra powered? probably not (ninty will probably find some other company no one ever heard of with a very weird tech :P). still dual screen? the 2DS may indicate how ninty may be thinking of moving away while still maintaining BC (it has 1 large screen). maybe itll be roughly as powerful as a vita but with a renewed focus on a long battery life.

#10 Edited by Aparthide (281 posts) -
@Samus3D said:

Final fantasy always seems to end up on mobile. I hope GS and AW get another shot. Their last entries weren't exactly succesful. You probably won't see megaman though.

I'm actually surprised at how much of an effect mobile has on the handheld market. I wonder how the handheld market is going to be in 5-10 years. They should do another pricecut in 2014 because otherwise I don't see 3DS sales in 2014 matching those of 2013. Even with a pricecut it seems unlikely.

#11 Edited by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I still feel like it is new. I hope it doesn't leave soon. It's quite a capable handheld.

#12 Edited by mems_1224 (56902 posts) -

Man, what a remarkable turnaround Nintendo has done with the 3DS. They stopped focusing on the 3D gimmick and have pumped out great game after great game. More strategy and metroidvania style games please!

#13 Edited by trugs26 (7429 posts) -

Gee, way to scare me. "4 years" - I was like "Holy crap it's been that long already!?". But really, 4 years, since ANNOUNCEMENT, NEXT YEAR. What the hell? Why would you word it like that? Why not, 2 and a half years, since launch, right now. Way to get to views for a thread.

Edit: Just checked, 2 years and 3 quarters to be exact (Japan release).

#14 Edited by GhoX (6265 posts) -

A Radiant Historia sequel/spiritual sequel. Persona 5. Okay, I'm just dreaming.

#15 Posted by -Snooze- (7304 posts) -

I don't own a 3DS but it doesn't seem to be running out of steam anytime soon. I think Nintendo should give it another 3/4 years, it's never been about hardware for Nintendo handhelds and it's worked excellently so far

#16 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

@GhoX said:

A Radiant Historia sequel/spiritual sequel. Persona 5. Okay, I'm just dreaming.

Radiant Historia 2 would be fine. Hell No on Persona 5. 3DS isn't that much more powerful then a PSP and we saw how Persona 3 Portable was.

#17 Edited by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

I would be extremely dissatisfied with my purchase if a new handheld was announced next year.

#18 Edited by PhazonBlazer (12010 posts) -

Hopefully a new handheld after the disaster the 3DS was.

It can't even do Pokemon games right.

#19 Edited by barrybarryk (488 posts) -

Didn't they just announce another refresh, the 2DS. Also I think 3-4 years is a pretty short lifespan for a handheld console, I think it'll be a while before there's a full on successor to the 3DS

#20 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

It can't even do Pokemon games right.

QFT

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
#21 Edited by bonesawisready5 (4969 posts) -

All I want from their next handheld is a fold-able LCD screen with two clamshell halves that let it become smaller to be portable but still allow it to have a 4.5-5.5 inch screen. At least 480p.

#23 Edited by charizard1605 (81769 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

Didn't they just announce another refresh, the 2DS. Also I think 3-4 years is a pretty short lifespan for a handheld console, I think it'll be a while before there's a full on successor to the 3DS

Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance both had three year lifespans.

#24 Edited by barrybarryk (488 posts) -

Well I wouldn't really count the GBC but I see your point about the Advance. Man I thought that knocked around much longer, there were so many great games for it

#25 Posted by ManInFlames-77 (300 posts) -

The Nintendo Vita

#26 Posted by p3anut (6166 posts) -

The DS was in the market for 7 years and I can see the same lifespan for the 3DS.

#27 Posted by Shottayouth13- (7010 posts) -

3DS has at least 4 more years before Ninty announces anything new. It just got it's first Pokemon installment, it's only just getting started.

#28 Posted by zeroyaoi (2443 posts) -

More awesome games, and a new handheld by late 2016 or early 2017.

#29 Posted by Lionheart08 (15814 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

3DS has at least 4 more years before Ninty announces anything new. It just got it's first Pokemon installment, it's only just getting started.

Yeah, there's still Pokemon Z and the Hoenn remakes left.

#30 Edited by voljin1987 (982 posts) -

it will be the nintendo qs (quad-screen)

#31 Posted by nintendoboy16 (32915 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

@Samus3D said:

Hell, good luck waiting for Metroid.

#32 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Three years bro, it's got at least another three in it so I don't see why we should care that it's three years in....

#33 Posted by lamprey263 (33904 posts) -

it hasn't even been on the market though for 3 years, and at least one year was wasted both due to price and lack of games, so I'd say with things going well right now Nintendo will support it as long as it will bring them money, especially with the Wii U being a big drain on their money, if they release a new handheld until that mess is settled they'd be doing more harm than good

#34 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

It will be something extremely safe, built to attract developers.

I don't necessarily agree that the 3DS is guaranteed 3 more years. The DS was around for 7, but much of that lifespan was concurrent with some explosive success in their home console business. If the Wii U doesn't pick up, they might get antsy and announce a handheld successor in 2015 or 2016.

#35 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29476 posts) -

Well 2014 for the 3DS looks great with Bravely Default coming early 2014 so I'm stoked.

Maybe We'll get Remastered Phoenix Wrights 1-4 and Laytons 1-4 Collection before Ace Attorney X Layton comes out!

#36 Posted by helwa1988 (2157 posts) -

with the 3ds going so strong i don't see them coming out with a new console until 2015 or 2016. but im thinking nintendo will probably ditch the whole double screen thing for the next handheld to start something fresh.

#37 Edited by Liquid_ (3792 posts) -

2DS BRO

#38 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

compared to DS, the 3ds has shitty games. SO hopefully the 4DS or wtf ever has more than mario, mario and more mario. I want Golden Sun kind of games, not stepping on mushrooms three times a year every year.

#39 Edited by loosingENDS (11793 posts) -

It is only 2 years on the market, probably will last another 4-5 years

The top games like Bravely Default, new Zelda, Layton Azran are not even out yet, the system is just starting its life

#40 Edited by charizard1605 (81769 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

compared to DS, the 3ds has shitty games. SO hopefully the 4DS or wtf ever has more than mario, mario and more mario. I want Golden Sun kind of games, not stepping on mushrooms three times a year every year.

Lol. Your post reeks of pure ignorance. As expected.

#41 Edited by PhazonBlazer (12010 posts) -

Nintendo should just drop the 3DS, the Vita is clearly better.

Even Charizard1605 bought a Vita the day Pokemon X and Y came out.

#42 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Nintendo doesn't release new handhelds until the last one's sales start slipping. ltll be another 2-3 years before they even announce a new handheld let alone release one.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (81769 posts) -

@VendettaRed07 said:

Nintendo doesn't release new handhelds until the last one's sales start slipping. ltll be another 2-3 years before they even announce a new handheld let alone release one.

Patently false. They released Gameboy Advance right as Gameboy Color sales started exploding (after the release of Pokemon Gold and Silver), they released the Nintendo DS when Gameboy Advance sales were accelerating (in 2004, barely one year after Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire). Literally the only time they have extended a handheld generation is with Nintendo DS.

#44 Edited by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

Time is flying by, but I do not expect a new Nintendo handheld for at least 3-4 years. The 3DS still seems new and fresh, and I would be very surprised if Nintendo made a new handheld any earlier

#45 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

4 more years of amazing Japanese games for the 3DS. Bravely Default, 2014!

#46 Posted by Zaraxius (221 posts) -

@Samus3D said:

Unfortunately, the Advance Wars series saw poor sales, even with the "reboot" that Days of Ruin was. It is unlikely that we will see a return to the franchise any time soon.

As for Final Fantasy, we did have Theatrerythm: Final Fantasy, which was pretty good.

#47 Posted by Samus3D (1953 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Actually to many the 3DS has much better games and it's only two years old.

#48 Posted by Zaraxius (221 posts) -

@barrybarryk said:

Well I wouldn't really count the GBC but I see your point about the Advance. Man I thought that knocked around much longer, there were so many great games for it

Nintendo continued to support the GameBoy Advance a good while after the DS was released. The DS released in 2004, and yet the GameBoy Advance had The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Mario Tennis: Power Tour, WarioWare: Twisted!, and many more hit the system in 2005.

#49 Edited by wolverine4262 (20824 posts) -

Do you really think theyll announce the 3DS successor next year? I think thatd be an incredibly bad idea for Ninty.

#50 Edited by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

Hopefully a ruby and saphire remake.