SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/381438/20_of_last_years_Nintendo_Switch_sales_were_to_households_that_already_owned_one.php

Speaking during an investor Q&A, Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa shared that roughly 20 percent of the Nintendo Switch systems it sold during the year ending March 31, 2021 were to households that already owned the system.

This means that around 5.8 million of the last year's Nintendo Switch sales were to folks looking to pick up a second console for their home, potentially as a gift for a partner or child, or, in the case of the Switch Lite, as a dedicated system to use on the go.

That being said, Furukawa doesn't believe the desire for second Switch systems has been quenched quite yet.

"Going forward, we expect demand for multiple systems per household will increase even as hardware unit sales grow," says Furukawa. "By region, significant sales growth is continuing in Asia, and we believe there is still room for sufficient growth of new demand in Europe and the United States, considering the sizes of those populations."

Thoughts, SW? Did you buy a second Switch? I'm actually more surprised that 80% of sales were to new buyers. But then again, how do they know this information?! 😐

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I think Animal Crossing and MHR did that to many.

My gf wants another Switch just so she can play MHR, but screw getting another console for one game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

@Litchie: Horrible BF spotted🤭

Anyway, me and my daughter both own a Switch since day one and I don't see myself buying another Switch at all unless we're talking about Switch Pro, it'll be different.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

They might get me twice I got a switch lite but now i want to play nintendo games on my 4k tv I just bought :(

I'm in a tough predicament man.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@ProtossRushX: reminds of the Xbox Series S. Save $100 only to realize you got a gimped system 😄

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@ProtossRushX: reminds of the Xbox Series S. Save $100 only to realize you got a gimped system 😄

Maybe they can make an add on for the siwtch lite to play on a tv or tv only switch version like super gameboy?

Thing is switch lite is not gimpy it runs games just as good as the switch regular and has a great d-pad i use all the time and its smaller on more ergnonmic and 100 dollars cheaper.

If i get the regular switch ill still always use switch lite for portable mode on trips and around my house.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44107 Posts

Well certainly understandable given the nature of the Switch. It doesn’t require to always be hooked up to a TV so it makes it much easier for multiple family members to own one.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@ProtossRushX said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Maybe they can make an add on for the siwtch lite to play on a tv or tv only switch version like super gameboy?

Thing is switch lite is not gimpy it runs games just as good as the switch regular and has a great d-pad i use all the time and its smaller on more ergnonmic and 100 dollars cheaper.

If i get the regular switch ill still always use switch lite for portable mode on trips and around my house.

Yea it does have the same hardware, but not being able to play on TV sucks! That's like half the experience lol. Well, for me it is.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

My girlfriend bought two Switches because she couldn't find a regular one at first, a Lite, and then a normal one.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

That couldn't be any less surprising when it comes to a Nintendo handheld, that's pretty much how it goes.

I had like 4 Gameboy's, 3 GBA's, 3 DS's and 2 3DS's. I think that's a pretty common occurrence with handhelds.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19564 Posts

I almost bought a second Switch so my partner could play Animal Crossing last year. Fortunately I had some PS4 games to play, so we didn't compete for Switch-time.

Anyway, it totally makes sense that 20% of households buy a second Switch. Even with all of the great couch co-op games...siblings will want to fight over playtime, and partners might want to play different games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Each of my kids have a 3DS or 2DS. Switch Lite is essentially the successor. Families that have a want of multiple handheld systems is a driving force for Switch. Nintendo knows this which is probably the push for the design.

We only have one Switch and it will stay that way for quite some time if not ever.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts

@davillain- said:

Anyway, me and my daughter both own a Switch since day one and I don't see myself buying another Switch at all unless we're talking about Switch Pro, it'll be different.

If someone isn't willing to spend another $300 for their loved ones, then is it really love though?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@davillain- said:

lol. What I said was pretty much her own words. She's smart enough to not shell out 360 bucks for one game that is heading to PC, which she can wait for. And it's not like I'm the keeper of all the money. She is more than able to get a Switch if she wants.

@luxuryheart said:

If someone isn't willing to spend another $300 for their loved ones, then is it really love though?

I suppose that's a joke, but if you base love on money spending, you're retarded.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

£200 actually.

Series X is £450 and S £250.

And while £200 is chump change to big ballers who can just drop £200 just on games in a month, to some that's quite a lot of money.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

£200 actually.

And while £200 is chump change to big ballers who can just drop £200 just on games in a month, to some that's quite a lot of money.

The PS5 digital is $400 and contains award winning first party games 😎

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gym_Lion

@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

£200 actually.

Yeah, but you're stuck with expensive digital games you can't sell on. That soon adds up for a gamer on a budget regardless of the amount of awards.

And while the Series S is digital you have access to the wealth of great games that Game Pass offers

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic

@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

£200 actually.

Yeah, but you're stuck with expensive digital games you can't sell on. That soon adds up for a gamer on a budget regardless of the amount of awards.

How is that different from the Xbox Series S?

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gym_Lion

@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

£200 actually.

The S is still £150 cheaper and it give you access to the diverse and amazing Game Pass library.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic

@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:

£200 actually.

The S is still £150 cheaper and it give you access to the diverse and amazing Game Pass library.

Which is $14.99 a month and you can't sell them either 😄

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

How they get the information? Probably by checking how many devices have registered accounts from the same address.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I own 3 Switch consoles. When you have multiple gamers in the same household, owning multiple console has its perks. You only need 1 PS+ or XBL/Game Pass, Nintendo Online account and use them across all the consoles in your house. You can buy 1 digital copy of a game, and play it across multiple consoles across multiple profiles. Even at the same time. Split screen is no longer a burden as far as sharing screen space when each player has their own console and TV. So no resolution or FPS drops either.

And more system wars related, this means there are more people that own 2+ Switches than own 1 Xbox Series X/S or PS5.

So much for “consumer friendly”

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Well, I remember people used to go buy new DS systems over new colors. Here maybe people bought new Switch minis when when their analogs broke and they couldn't swap out joy-cons because it's all one unit.