br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 16210 Posts

Hey check this out: https://venturebeat.com/2015/09/28/analyst-michael-pachter-predicts-a-slow-death-for-consoles-but-hes-bullish-on-games/

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1659 Posts

He is wrong for the simple fact that content creation is a thing on PC, you can make money with it. You can stream with it which is big atm and pushing more people towards PC platform then ever. The terrible console streaming solution isn't going to compete on this solution ever.

China market is opening towards PC currently which result in a massive influx of users on the PC market far bigger then the console market there ever will be.

Consoles on the other end are already in decline for a while.

Him talking about better IQ something most PC gamers didn't even care about to start with. Also makes most of his arguments pointless.

Streaming part is exactly what kills consoles, easier and cheaper way of entry. Want a no lag and superior experience PC is the only way to move towards.

Money wise, PC gaming has already been dirt cheap for a while now. You honestly barely have to invest into hardware each gen once you got a PC. PC also makes you more money at the end of the day if you end up streaming or making content.

It just really looks like a analyst that simple doesn't understand the market. See's some numbers and jumps to conclusions that make zero sense.

Because what market are consoles going to dig into? streaming following his logic will overtake consoles?

What's left? casuals that are on mobile? yea gg.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 8835 Posts

@Pedro: I understand but unless you can dig it up you are slandering and I think you’re too much of a gentleman to indulge in such questionable practices.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4138 Posts

@lundy86_4: How am I wrong? You even agreed with me somewhat. I realize you feel the need to defend your $3000 PC purchase over someone like me who paid $499 for an X1X - but come on, the differences today are minimal.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5170 Posts

Well if Jon Peddie says so, IT MUST BE TRUE. Also, who is Jon Peddie?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@Juub1990: Nope.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 1861 Posts

Console advantage:

cheap entry point

sit back from a distance from screen with better controllers

exclusives

much less bs in online play

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the tech. differentiation is becoming meaningless.

4k / 60 fps = who cares?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#58 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44788 Posts

Not sure I buy this prediction. I expect to see an increase in the US, sure, but worldwide? Meh.

Honestly if anything is to blame, it's probably stagnant game development. Developers and publishers simply are not pushing the limits like they used to, and taking fewer risks and gambles. When there is no higher bar set, you can settle for the inferior product (in this case consoles) because "good enough" is exactly that: good enough.

I still prefer excellence over basic sufficiency which is why I still game on my PC and my PS4 barely get's any playtime. I am also not enjoying the PS4 exclusives as much as I thought I would. God of War is a freaking walking-with-your-son simulator with random combat moments in it. I enjoy it, but every time I play it, I feel like I am wasting my time because I could be doing something 10x more satisfying on my PC

@Sevenizz said:

The differences between PC and consoles is barely negligible at this point making the high price and learning curve of pc gaming look very unattractive.

That is simply not true. Thankfully, there is a lot more to PC gaming than pretty graphics. In fact the visual capabilities are merely icing on the cake.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1333 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

That is simply not true. Thankfully, there is a lot more to PC gaming than pretty graphics. In fact the visual capabilities are merely icing on the cake.

60fps on all games is a godsend.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10573 Posts

@Gatygun said:

He is wrong for the simple fact that content creation is a thing on PC, you can make money with it. You can stream with it which is big atm and pushing more people towards PC platform then ever. The terrible console streaming solution isn't going to compete on this solution ever.

China market is opening towards PC currently which result in a massive influx of users on the PC market far bigger then the console market there ever will be.

Consoles on the other end are already in decline for a while.

Him talking about better IQ something most PC gamers didn't even care about to start with. Also makes most of his arguments pointless.

Streaming part is exactly what kills consoles, easier and cheaper way of entry. Want a no lag and superior experience PC is the only way to move towards.

Money wise, PC gaming has already been dirt cheap for a while now. You honestly barely have to invest into hardware each gen once you got a PC. PC also makes you more money at the end of the day if you end up streaming or making content.

It just really looks like a analyst that simple doesn't understand the market. See's some numbers and jumps to conclusions that make zero sense.

Because what market are consoles going to dig into? streaming following his logic will overtake consoles?

What's left? casuals that are on mobile? yea gg.

Don't forget mods. Modding is how a lot of developers start their game development careers a lot of the most played and generally popular PC games originated from mods. Their mods becomes so popular that they become confident enough in making it a standalone title and in some cases get funding from companies that see potential in them. Those that don't can still get some decent money from donations. Mods also enhance the experiences of games to point they're almost something different.

Not just China but Asia in general is becoming a bigger demographic for premium PC games. Thanks to PUBG, PC gaming has a bigger presence in Japan now and PC is starting get some more indie games from Japan that aren't Visuals Novels. Sony's censorship policies are turning more Japanese gamers and developers over to PC as they try to pander more to the West. South Korea is starting to dip their toes in making indie/singleplayer games and simply B2P instead of F2P. There are also several indie PC games coming out from the smaller Asian countries as well.

PC also dominates the Esports scene which consoles show no sign of taking over anytime soon.

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 netracing
Member since 2018 • 143 Posts

Not everyone lives in poverty and can only afford a single system.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44788 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

60fps on all games is a godsend.

It is pretty nice, I won't deny it, but there is more to it than that.

• For starters, it's an open platform. If people want to make a game, they can simply make a game. No need to get approval from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft.
  • Better controls, more options for controller inputs (steering wheels, HOTAS setups, eye tracking, head tracking, and so on)
  • Greater amount of games spread over an incredible amount of genres and sub-genres. There are some genres that are even almost exclusive to PC, not just games.
  • Near-infinite backwards compatibility.

Just a few reasons why I like PC gaming more than console, and why I and millions of others will be staying with PC.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5449 Posts

Oh boy 20 million more mouse cheaters on console. Just what everyone wants....

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#64  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26905 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Predictions are great and all, but that's the opposite of what the current trend data show

I was gonna say... and they don't really support their view with arguments. That PC and console will be more similar does not mean people will leave PC for console gaming... Also it leaves out important differences and influences: Consoles have an extra layer of censorship, and go one step further to take control from the consumer. Things like a console company punishing players for words by taking away the access to their whole game library, are strong arguments for PC gamers to stick with PC. I'd sooner expect more console players to go to PC in the next years.

I can get that, if streaming services would work well within 10-20 years it could lead to people no longer wanting to buy expensive hardware for themselves... But that means the companies who offer streaming services would first have to be bound by law to be unable to punish their players or they will go power crazy. It still takes a long time for companies and society to wizen up to that. It probably needs to go wrong first. I think more than the 20 years. And before then, there will be plenty of reasons given by streaming services for gamers to own a PC.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1145 Posts

Based on what?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 8487 Posts

Doesn't make much sense to me at all.

The architecture and development', allows for more cross platform than ever, meaning less of a reason to jump ship. It's the whole point of M$s eco system thing. Then I find 'doubling down on exclusives' very curious. Because of the expense of game development, exclusives have dwindled, so much of the games that were only on consoles from past and present have found their way to the PC. And the amount of exclusives in general are nothing compared to what they were during the 6th gen, then it made sense to own a PC and a console more than ever. Even the 7th gen had way more console exclusives (games not on the PC, but only on PS3 and X360).

This gen for the first time I'd argue, you could be happy as a PC only gamer more than ever before. After getting rid of my Xbox One, I personally haven't felt the need to buy another console yet. In fact I'm more interested in the latest 3DS than the other consoles right now.

Also, onto the costs. The PC gamer is well aware at how deceptive console gaming costs are.

For hardware, if you have a decent CPU, you hardly ever have to upgrade that. So for the price of the console, you can upgrade the graphics card.

For software and services: Online costs, then £40 - £50 per game and then the game likely has a £25+ season pass for DLC. Console gaming is more expensive than ever. It's one of the reasons I jumped ship to the PC in the first place. If you have a non gaming PC, add a GTX XX50 Ti card to it and see how many games are thrown at you cheap from various services. You'll have more games than you know what to do with.

I didn't talk much about the netflix like rental services for games, because I'd want to wait and see, but they're coming to the PC too.

As for cloud gaming, It's a dream in my opinion. It's never going to replace the console and the PC, because online isn't 100% reliable all of the time. And for gaming, people will demand 100% reliability and nothing less.

Point is, as console gaming looks right now, I really don't see how so many are suddenly going to jump ship.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 HalcyonScarlet
@Sevenizz said:

@lundy86_4: Naw, it’s still minimal difference compared to where it was just 2 generations ago and beyond. Screenshot comparisons are not as distinguishable as before. Yes PCs have higher resolution and frame rates - most times - but most people don’t care about the minor details - hence why consoles sell so well year after year.

But this is talking about converting PC gamers, even mid hardware level PC gamers appreciate 60fps and you don't need a powerful GPU to do that.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2071 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@joebones5000 said:

^^ This guy knows what he's talking about. Couple that with the fact that you never have to deal with a horrible mouse and keyboard on a console.

I don't deal with a M/KB on PC at all. Every game I play allows me to play with my Elite Xbox controller.

See my post above as to why he's wrong.

I bought Morrowind thinking I could play with controller and I got screwed, was so mad. It's a chance you take with some PC games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54154 Posts

@boxrekt said:

I bought Morrowind thinking I could play with controller and I got screwed, was so mad. It's a chance you take with some PC games.

Older PC games won't support controller, but there are third-party options (not really my jam.) Unless games are specifically designed around KB/M, I can't imagine a significant amount not having controller support (even if only partial.) I can't remember the last game I played on PC without a controller.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 joebones5000
Member since 2016 • 2860 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@joebones5000 said:

^^ This guy knows what he's talking about. Couple that with the fact that you never have to deal with a horrible mouse and keyboard on a console.

I don't deal with a M/KB on PC at all. Every game I play allows me to play with my Elite Xbox controller.

See my post above as to why he's wrong.

Yeah. I see online there are some pinnacle game profiler profiles for using a controller on Morrowind. I haven't tried them, and I suspect they won't work all that well, as it is a mouse-driven game on the PC. I would much rather play that game on the xbox one.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6533 Posts

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

How exactly are they going to be doing 4K/60 at around $500? I can see 1080/60 finally being a thing with the huge CPU upgrade consoles will get next gen, but native 4K/60 is not going to happen on most games. The price point is always the limiting factor and will keep consoles at peasant standards.

So, current midgen can do 4k (sometimes with checkerboard) between 30-60fps but next generation would just be 1080/60? That makes no sense.

Most CURRENT GENdemanding games are 30FPS... 1600-1800P on the X1X which has 6TFLOPS so RX580 - 590 level GPU?...

In order to get that same game to run at 4K 30FPS you would need 10-11TFLOPS Vega 56 level of performance.

So unless the PS5 comes with 2 power bricks and has a 18TFLOP GPU and costs $699... MOST games will be 4K/30 in the AAA market where graphics are pushed.

Not to mention that this is with CURRENT games, next generation has Ray Tracing that will make that 9-11TFLOP Navi PS5 GPU do 4K/24FPS for that cinematic 4K experience.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2071 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

How exactly are they going to be doing 4K/60 at around $500? I can see 1080/60 finally being a thing with the huge CPU upgrade consoles will get next gen, but native 4K/60 is not going to happen on most games. The price point is always the limiting factor and will keep consoles at peasant standards.

So, current midgen can do 4k (sometimes with checkerboard) between 30-60fps but next generation would just be 1080/60? That makes no sense.

Most CURRENT GENdemanding games are 30FPS... 1600-1800P on the X1X which has 6TFLOPS so RX580 - 590 level GPU?...

In order to get that same game to run at 4K 30FPS you would need 10-11TFLOPS Vega 56 level of performance.

So unless the PS5 comes with 2 power bricks and has a 18TFLOP GPU and costs $699... MOST games will be 4K/30 in the AAA market where graphics are pushed.

Not to mention that this is with CURRENT games, next generation has Ray Tracing that will make that 9-11TFLOP Navi PS5 GPU do 4K/24FPS for that cinematic 4K experience.

That's ridiculous.

Here is what Digital Foundry called the most graphically impressive open world game next to Horizon Zero Dawn

Loading Video...

So over The Witcher 3 and over Assassins Creed in open world graphs, but only on console.

Guess what, It's runing on Xbox One X 4k30 locked.

That fact that RDR2 is one of the most impressive open world games this gen and the X at 6TF locks it 4k30 makes your augment about 18TF sound clueless.

Don't compare PC and console hardware 1 to 1 because you're going to make an argument that ultimately ends up being wrong.

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 161 Posts

I SWORE I READ THE SAME PREDICTIONS 10 YEARS AGO.

Its literally the same bullshit rehashed.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2674 Posts

PC Gaming happily dying since 2006.

By the way what are the total console sales of this gen compared to 7th or even 6th gen? Did the analyst thought about that?

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

The differences between PC and consoles is barely negligible at this point making the high price and learning curve of pc gaming look very unattractive.

If you think there is a high learning curve to a PC in 2019 ... I have bad news for you... better luck in the next life?

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Kali-B1rd
@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

cheap entry point - But expensive and far less features/games - you get what you pay for.

sit back from a distance from screen with better controllers Closer to the screen is better concentration, and wrong about controllers.... very wrong.

exclusives all 5 of them 6 years in... oh wait, PC still has more.

much less bs in online play True to an extent, but far less variety in online games in general on consoles....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the tech. differentiation is becoming meaningless. - Good job its never just been about that.

4k / 60 fps = who cares? Enthusiasts? and plenty of console gamers actually...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 7294 Posts

It's a pretty weird article. Don't understand if the reasoning is coming from the author of the article or the report? The reasons stated are not really anything new except for streaming. And streaming should hurt consoles more? The only thing a console does is play games, but a PC you can have for more things. Console gamers also care less about the numbers, so they should be quicker to jump to an inferior streaming service.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10930 Posts
@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

cheap entry point

exclusives

4k / 60 fps = who cares?

What year are you living in?

Cheaper entry point, yes, if you only have one console. You also only get what you pay for

Sit back from a distance, Do you think that PC's can't be connected to a TV? Do you think that controllers don't work on PC's or that Lapboards don't exist? This is not a console only thing

Exclusives that you need to buy at least 2 consoles to play, there goes the "cheaper entry point" if you want to play them all. Of course that's completely ignoring the multitude of PC exclusive games.

Thinking the tech differentiation is becoming meaningless only shows that you've probably only ever played games at 30fps, which if true is sad and I feel sorry for you.

Here's the one of the "best" looking games consoles had to offer at the start of this gen

God that game makes me feel like my eyes are completely screwed

Compared to one of the best looking exclusive games on PC today (although playable, this isn't even finished)

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 3939 Posts

Well a lot of gaming is pushed by laptops of people playing shit like the sims, sales of laptops has been going down over the years.

But actual PCs are probably going up, dunno what steam says.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5487 Posts

@GarGx1: Your unfinished but playable game looks like a last gen title in that picture.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 thereal25

@kali-b1rd said:
@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

cheap entry point - But expensive and far less features/games - you get what you pay for.

sit back from a distance from screen with better controllers Closer to the screen is better concentration, and wrong about controllers.... very wrong.

much less bs in online play True to an extent, but far less variety in online games in general on consoles....

Also the tech. differentiation is becoming meaningless. - Good job its never just been about that.

Features/games I care not too much for; I've not enough time for tons of games and I never cared for modding much.

controllers - I don't know, as a long time pc gamer I just wonder if using a mouse/keyboard is a little unnatural - given that one hand is doing something completely different to the other. And I'm getting to old to care about accuracy/skill.

concentration - sure a closer screen might enhance concentration a bit but I'm not that serious about gaming.

exclusives - Okay, you make a point - there aren't that many - but given my limited time, multiplats and exclusives should be plenty...

variety in online games - well I'm generally more of a single player gamer anyway but if I was inclined to play the occasional online game at least there'd be no cheating on console...

technology: I'd expect the ps5 to offer decent graphical setting with at least 60fps for 1080p resolution. Anything beyond that would just be a bonus. [I still don't think 4k is that important.]

@GarGx1 said:
@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

cheap entry point

exclusives

4k / 60 fps = who cares?

What year are you living in?

Cheaper entry point, yes, if you only have one console. You also only get what you pay for

Sit back from a distance, Do you think that PC's can't be connected to a TV? Do you think that controllers don't work on PC's or that Lapboards don't exist? This is not a console only thing

Exclusives that you need to buy at least 2 consoles to play, there goes the "cheaper entry point" if you want to play them all. Of course that's completely ignoring the multitude of PC exclusive games.

Thinking the tech differentiation is becoming meaningless only shows that you've probably only ever played games at 30fps, which if true is sad and I feel sorry for you.

Here's the one of the "best" looking games consoles had to offer at the start of this gen

God that game makes me feel like my eyes are completely screwed

Compared to one of the best looking exclusive games on PC today (although playable, this isn't even finished)

I would only have one console. I wouldn't have the time for more than that.

As for setting up a pc like a console - sure that can be done but I use my pc for many other things so I'd like to have my pc separate from my tv/console.

Now you mention 30fps, but I'm fully expecting the ps5 to offer 60fps - particularly at 1080p.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6533 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

That's ridiculous.

Here is what Digital Foundry called the most graphically impressive open world game next to Horizon Zero Dawn

Loading Video...

So over The Witcher 3 and over Assassins Creed in open world graphs, but only on console.

Guess what, It's runing on Xbox One X 4k30 locked.

That fact that RDR2 is one of the most impressive open world games this gen and the X at 6TF locks it 4k30 makes your augment about 18TF sound clueless.

Don't compare PC and console hardware 1 to 1 because you're going to make an argument that ultimately ends up being wrong.

Wow the point flew over your head didn't it, the most demanding games doesn't mean its the most advance game nor are they always the best looking. 1600-1800p games exist and so do 1200-1440p games on the Pro.

The MAIN point is if a current generation game requires 6TFLOPs to run at 4K/30FPS it would need to more than double that to achieve 4K/60 on the same settings, you thing a developer like Rockstar who spends 4-6 years 100+ million would release a game on a next generation console that looked the same'ish just so it could run at 4K/60?... No they would use that extra power to increase the graphical fidelity.

Same for Horizon 1440p 30FPs on 4.2TFLOPS... To run at 4K/30FPS you would need 2-3x the power, and that is a current generation game.

A good example is Last of Us 2... 720p 30FPS on PS3 and what did they do for the PS4?... 1080p 30FPS and they used the extra graphical power to push graphics a little further why because its a next generation console you EXPECT better looking graphics.

This idea that developers are all of a sudden going to use the power of new hardware to chase framerate doesn't make you sound clueless, it literally makes you clueless.

6TFLOPS vs 10-12TFLOPS is not enough to give you double the framerate AND next generation high end features and graphics... its literally a either or situation.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Kali-B1rd

@thereal25 said:
@kali-b1rd said:
@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

Features/games I care not too much for; I've not enough time for tons of games and I never cared for modding much.

controllers - I don't know, as a long time pc gamer I just wonder if using a mouse/keyboard is a little unnatural - given that one hand is doing something completely different to the other. And I'm getting to old to care about accuracy/skill.

concentration - sure a closer screen might enhance concentration a bit but I'm not that serious about gaming.

exclusives - Okay, you make a point - there aren't that many - but given my limited time, multiplats and exclusives should be plenty...

variety in online games - well I'm generally more of a single player gamer anyway but if I was inclined to play the occasional online game at least there'd be no cheating on console...

technology: I'd expect the ps5 to offer decent graphical setting with at least 60fps for 1080p resolution. Anything beyond that would just be a bonus. [I still don't think 4k is that important.]

Obviously I can't say your preference is wrong. But curious about the controller mindset. It doesn't feel unnatural to use a WiiMote + Nunchuck, or switch controllers, just as it doesn't feel weird for a Mouse/Keyboard.

When you break them down there is barely a difference:

Mouse = right analog with far more accuracy/smoother control and 5-25 buttons + sensitivity buttons + scroll wheel.... .. main buttons are triggers.

Keyboard - Left side of a controller mixed with the main controller buttons... only you have far more buttons. WASD acts as the left analog, which admittedly is inferior for smooth/slow movement obviously, but superior for twitch movement (edging corners etc).

I would say "maybe its because I work in IT?" but no... even my girlfriend will drop her phone/tablet for proper web browsing/shopping... anything that requires ANY effort is faster on a mouse/keyboard than any other device.

Obviously theres a preference difference, but there is a reason nothing has replaced mouse/keyboard yet... most flexible for gaming genres, most efficient at most things.

We need to remember that a controller was designed as a kids toy to begin with, and has only evolved enough to encompass the genres it could do 20 years ago.... slightly better.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 10183 Posts

We see these every gen.

It never happens, PC remains first place by far for revenue and users.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25670 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

The architecture and development', allows for more cross platform than ever, meaning less of a reason to jump ship. It's the whole point of M$s eco system thing. Then I find 'doubling down on exclusives' very curious. Because of the expense of game development, exclusives have dwindled, so much of the games that were only on consoles from past and present have found their way to the PC. And the amount of exclusives in general are nothing compared to what they were during the 6th gen, then it made sense to own a PC and a console more than ever. Even the 7th gen had way more console exclusives (games not on the PC, but only on PS3 and X360).

This gen for the first time I'd argue, you could be happy as a PC only gamer more than ever before. After getting rid of my Xbox One, I personally haven't felt the need to buy another console yet. In fact I'm more interested in the latest 3DS than the other consoles right now.

Also, onto the costs. The PC gamer is well aware at how deceptive console gaming costs are.

For hardware, if you have a decent CPU, you hardly ever have to upgrade that. So for the price of the console, you can upgrade the graphics card.

For software and services: Online costs, then £40 - £50 per game and then the game likely has a £25+ season pass for DLC. Console gaming is more expensive than ever. It's one of the reasons I jumped ship to the PC in the first place. If you have a non gaming PC, add a GTX XX50 Ti card to it and see how many games are thrown at you cheap from various services. You'll have more games than you know what to do with.

I didn't talk much about the netflix like rental services for games, because I'd want to wait and see, but they're coming to the PC too.

As for cloud gaming, It's a dream in my opinion. It's never going to replace the console and the PC, because online isn't 100% reliable all of the time. And for gaming, people will demand 100% reliability and nothing less.

Point is, as console gaming looks right now, I really don't see how so many are suddenly going to jump ship.

Actually, you make a good point. This is the first gen I haven't had a console alongside my PC and felt like I didn't really miss out on anything.

I still have a PS3, Wii U, and 360(for a bit, then gave it away) from last gen. Had an Xbox before that, and a Playstation 1 and N64 before that.

I'm not even considering a PS4 at the moment. If PS5 has BC, I may pick one up for next gen and this gen games. If it has no BC, I might wait a while and pick up a PS4 Pro super cheap or something. We'll see.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HalcyonScarlet

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Actually, you make a good point. This is the first gen I haven't had a console alongside my PC and felt like I didn't really miss out on anything.

I still have a PS3, Wii U, and 360(for a bit, then gave it away) from last gen. Had an Xbox before that, and a Playstation 1 and N64 before that.

I'm not even considering a PS4 at the moment. If PS5 has BC, I may pick one up for next gen and this gen games. If it has no BC, I might wait a while and pick up a PS4 Pro super cheap or something. We'll see.

Same, I have a Wii U and Xbox 360, which both have a wide range of games counting their BC and virtual console and xbl games.

Very little in the way of exclusives have interested me this gen and certainly not enough to buy a whole console for. Really, with Forza and Ace Combat now fully multiplat, consoles have lost quite a bit of appeal. By the end I was just holding on to my Xbox One for Forza Motorsport, got rid of it the next day after e3 when they said all future Forza's would be multiplat.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#87  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24658 Posts

With the evergrowing PC community with esports, streamers, Fortnite, Apex, whatever, it would make more sense if console gamers started to convert to PC gaming rather than vice versa. There's much less chance of a PC gamer going consoles than console gamer going PC. Who wants to have worse controls, graphics, online, gameprices etc. than what they're used to?

@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

cheap entry point

1. sit back from a distance from screen with better controllers

exclusives

2. much less bs in online play

1. You can sit back from your screen when the game is being played from a PC as well, which I do frequently myself. And better controllers? You can use every damn controller ever made on a PC. That means PC has a huge advantage over consoles in the controller department.

2. Nah, that's bullshit. I'd go insane if I had to play Overwatch with all the Xbox kids and Playstation morons.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 thereal25

@Litchie said:

With the evergrowing PC community with esports, streamers, Fortnite, Apex, whatever, it would make more sense if console gamers started to convert to PC gaming rather than vice versa. There's much less chance of a PC gamer going consoles than console gamer going PC. Who wants to have worse controls, graphics, online, gameprices etc. than what they're used to?

@thereal25 said:

Console advantage:

cheap entry point

1. sit back from a distance from screen with better controllers

exclusives

2. much less bs in online play

1. You can sit back from your screen when the game is being played from a PC as well, which I do frequently myself. And better controllers? You can use every damn controller ever made on a PC. That means PC has a huge advantage over consoles in the controller department.

2. Nah, that's bullshit. I'd go insane if I had to play Overwatch with all the Xbox kids and Playstation morons.

About point 1, maybe yer right. I should probably just buy a dual shock with a long cord and try it out and see if I like the experience better than mouse/keyboard.

About point 2, I've just been fed up with all the cheating and other bs that frequently goes down in almost every freakin pc game, but come to think of it, online games themselves are usually a recipe for disappointment and frustration anyway.

Heck, I'm almost getting talked out of switching to consoles! Maybe I'll just stick with the good old master race!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#89 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24658 Posts

@thereal25: I hear complaints like that about online gaming on PC all the time, but never experience it myself. So I've come to the conclusion that it's either bullshit, or online gaming in the USA is absolutely horrible compared to other places in the world, or I'm not playing as many obscure games online without anti-cheating systems as others do. I do know that there's more children online on consoles though, and playing with children is very frustrating if you need some kind of teamwork or like to not get high pitch voices screaming in your ears until they bleed.

By staying on PC you get better online, better graphics, better controls, better interface, better versions of games, cheaper games, more games, more options, mods.. Going back to consoles would be like going back to VHS or something.

sleepnsurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 sleepnsurf
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts
@gtx021 said:

Jon Peddie Research: 20 Million Shift from PC Gaming to Console Gaming by 2022

Jon Peddie Research has released a new report on the state of gaming and its future, with the research firm estimating a total of 20 million PC gamers will make the shift to console gaming by 2022. It does make sense, as the no-frills architecture of consoles and highly specialized hardware and development - alongside the lower cost of entry) have been calling gamers from all ages and budgets. Add to this the fact that IQ considerations are becoming smaller and smaller between a high-end gaming PC and their console counterparts - at least when it comes to global, base IQ of settings - and it does make sense that makers make the shift.

Adding to this is the expectation of increased doubling-down on exclusives from games consoles, with the exception of Microsoft, which will be bringing all of its exclusives to the PC market as well. The increased attention to game streaming, with Google's Stadia and Microsoft's own xCloud will prompt change in the way gamers consume content - no dedicated hardware may mean no consoles, but it will also mean no need to purchase expensive, high-end PC gaming hardware to run the latest games with the latest graphics technologies - that will all be run in the cloud. Smart TVs, for instance, may be all the investment required for a premium, lag-free gaming experience with maximum details, should worldwide internet access improve as it has been. Of course, the ratio of high-end PC gamers making their way to consoles is lower than that of gamers with basic or entry-level PCs that are capable of gaming - those will make up the vast majority of the quoted 20 million shift

https://www.techpowerup.com/254930/jon-peddie-research-20-million-shift-from-pc-gaming-to-console-gaming-by-2022

Projection, you fail.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#91 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5587 Posts

Whoever came up with this idea that you can only use one system exclusively?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10930 Posts
@thereal25 said:

I would only have one console. I wouldn't have the time for more than that.

As for setting up a pc like a console - sure that can be done but I use my pc for many other things so I'd like to have my pc separate from my tv/console.

Now you mention 30fps, but I'm fully expecting the ps5 to offer 60fps - particularly at 1080p.

So the console exclusive point is moot when you can't play all of them either.

I never said I set up my PC like a console, only that it is plugged in to the living room TV as well as my monitor. It's a simple matter of selecting which screen I want to use at any given time. All it needed was a long HDMI cable, some people prefer to use a streaming box like Steam Link but a cable was not an issue for me.

That's nice 1080p @ 60fps in 2020, cutting edge tech right there. Meanwhile I'm playing all my games at 1440p and well over 60fps, usually 80 to 100 fps, depending on the game and the performance I want from it. The living room TV is 4k and with some reduction in settings (still higher than consoles can do) I can get 60 fps as well.

You do you but there is no need to pretend that a console can compete with a high end PC in any aspect.