2 PS Vita exclusive games Soul Sacrifice & Freedom Wars will have their servers shut down on Christmas Eve!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

PS Vita Exclusives Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice to Have Servers Shuttered 12/24/2021

While you can still play both games locally using adhoc connectivity, you’ll obviously need to know someone who owns a PS Vita and a copy of the games in order to set that up. This will naturally make some of the release’s Trophies difficult to unlock. It’s also worth adding that the server termination applies to both Soul Sacrifice and its enhanced successor Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Curiously, the server discontinuation news has only been announced on PlayStation’s Japanese website at the time of writing, but we can’t imagine the Western titles will be kept online. We’ll check with Sony just to clarify and will update when we get word back.

I'm honestly surprised they kept the servers going for this long. Sony essentially discontinued the Vita in the west five years ago and in Japan almost three years ago. It has also become very clear that Sony are ready to leave the Vita and PS3 fully behind at this point. And it's a shame Soul Sacrifice didn't get a port to other platforms since it's a special Vita exclusive game even with its flaws. It has very well written lore and a unique narrative and mechanics hence worth owning a Vita and worth playing just for the campaign even if you skip the post-game and multiplayer content. Freedom Wars had potential but it's a weak game, so hardly a lose for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Why does Sony keep killing the PS Vita?

Vita is life :'(

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

O wow, can’t believe Sony screwed up this system so bad.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

What's a Vita?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

What's a Vita?

A disappointment.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@lebanese_boy said:
@pc_rocks said:

What's a Vita?

A disappointment.

Something something Sony forgot it exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Freedom wars was tough, I thought it was a good game though.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Why does Sony keep killing the PS Vita?

Vita is life :'(

Sony should call the PS Vita the "PS Mors." By the way, "mors" means "death" in Latin.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

RIP Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. Both such a damn great Monster Hunter clone too I especially enjoyed Sould Sacrifice Delta, put just over 400 hours into that game.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Man, I love Freedom Wars but I've only played it online a few times. I I really need to go back and complete it tbh but there's a serious difficulty spike towards the endgame.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Love my vita... In many ways, still better than switch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator

@TheEroica said:

Love my vita... In many ways, still better than switch.

In the end, Sony didn't even know what they had until it was gone.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator

@davillain-: sadly, the never knew what they had. Spec wise, if they didn't botch the memory cards and minimal support for exclusive games they could've crushed the DS...

The best E store library on any handheld device I've ever seen.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I was a Vita fan since launch. This forum used to trash it all the time. But it was a great piece of hardware and had many great games!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sakaiXx

@TheEroica: the memory card thing was just stupid and Sony really missed the opportunity to revert to standard MicroSD with the Vita revision. Someone made a MicroSD adapter for the vita which I use now. Its working perfectly and with no noticable drop in performance or speed.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sakaiXx

@girlusocrazy: PSP was easy to mod it was hacked like day 1. lowest ratio of games sold per console on sony system even though the library was just mindblowningly good. Sony should have invested in better anti piracy tech but probably spent all that money towards the PS3 security considering how hard it was to hack (too bad they forgot to update their network security lmao). The proprietary card was the obvious choice for sony to deter piracy, and make some money too.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheEroica  Moderator

@sakaixx: I remember how excited people were for vita... It was a monster of a great device when announced... All at once it became the laughing stock of the industry when Sony announced the proprietary memory cards.

All at once Sony showed their utter incompetence for their product... Something we all could've told them before they announced it. It was heartbreaking to see how bad things went from there.

I'm reality, the device was magnificent... But not without Sony trying their best to destroy it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator

@girlusocrazy: not saying that Sony didn't botch its approach to exclusive games... It did. They all but abandoned unique handheld experiences, but the memory cards were a massive failure that the gaming community picked up on immediately, especially here on system wars. It was like a flashing neon sign saying, "we're screwing this up for you! Enjoy!"

Sony succeeded in the end by having an amazing library of legacy games and modern indie releases that were cross buy.