michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts

Ever played FFVIII? What was your favorite summon (called Guardian Forces, of GF in FFVIII).

On this article I bring back the old times and show each one of the GFs available in the game.

Final Fantasy VIII Guardian Forces  

Share with us your opinion on the GFs! 

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 crushgoil
Member since 2006 • 2554 Posts

I do love Bahamut.. but since you spend most of the game without him.. my favourite might actually have to be Quezacotl because it seems to match up really well with characters... or Shiva just because she's cool in every FF.

I greatly dislike Diablos just because he's so hard to beat.  I think that's the most difficult battle ever.

plague_gerka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 plague_gerka
Member since 2004 • 356 Posts
I like Shiva and Ifrit the most on FFVIII.
maxforce2869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 maxforce2869
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts

My favorite would be Cactaur due to fact that he deals damage depending on his level, And at level 100 he can decimate most enemies with 10,000 Needles. Plus he is the only one that comes with the luck junction and evade junction(besides Eden and Scrolls). Initiative is must and the having all the stat bonuses is awesome. I guess the only downside is you get him so late in the game, and the battle against him.

Tonberry is a close second because of his call shop and junk shop abilities, and his LV Up and LV Down abilities are fun to use. But getting him is way too much of a hassle, therefore Cactaur is my top choice.

Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
my favourites are odin and bahamut
serpentaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 serpentaurus
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
Bahamut, Carbuncle and Doomtrain are my favs.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts
Mine are Ifrit, Shiva, and Cerberus. In my FFVIII, Ifrit is really good, and deals over 4000 damage(I'm not done with the game either).
Avatar image for queen_valentine
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 queen_valentine
Member since 2004 • 5870 Posts
Not Eden. The animation was WAAAYYY too long (although it did do tons of damage). I'm gonna say Doomtrain, Cerberus and Carbuncle (it's so cute!)
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 queen_valentine

I do love Bahamut.. but since you spend most of the game without him.. my favourite might actually have to be Quezacotl because it seems to match up really well with characters... or Shiva just because she's cool in every FF.

I greatly dislike Diablos just because he's so hard to beat. I think that's the most difficult battle ever.

crushgoil

Omg yea, that's a super hard battle, especially if you do it towards the beginning. I remember trying over and over... 

ZeroWingCATS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 ZeroWingCATS
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts
i thought that diablos was a cool animation though, and a useful GF to have throughout the game
cj2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cj2121
Member since 2004 • 341 Posts
Ifrit is the first one you fight and I think I liked him the most...
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 michelle_moraes
My favorite Guadian Force is Alexander, followed close by Leviathan.... I just love their animations and designs.
Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mar044
Member since 2006 • 1357 Posts
odin, the man on the horse brings doom to the world and the strong will win always!
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 michelle_moraes

odin, the man on the horse brings doom to the world and the strong will win always!Mar044

But he is not a Guardian Force in FFVIII (although we do fight him in Cetra ruins, but he never joins).... 

Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mar044
yes, he comes at random
Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mar044

he is still a GF if you read the guide, just cant be control

here is a list :)

Secondary Guardian Forces

Odin - Once inside the Centra Ruins, find and defeat Odin. Once you do, he'll join your party. Odin isn't a Guardian Force that you can control: he'll randomly appear during the start of some battles. Odin will appear roughly in one out of every ten (non boss) battles and instantly destroy the enemies on the field by slicing them in half with his Zantetsuken.

Phoenix - Phoenix can be summoned only by using the Phoenix Pinion in battle. Once you've summoned Phoenix, there's a chance he'll show up when your parties in trouble.

Boko the Chocobo - After solving at least one of the Chocobo Forest puzzles, use a Gysahl Green during a battle. Boko the Chocobo will appear and attack the enemies.

MiniMog - By using Mog's Amulet, a GF can learn the MiniMog ability. When he's called upon, MiniMog will appear and dance. This will restore all of your GF's HP. This becomes more and more useful as you go further into the game.

Moomba - Use a Friendship item during a battle and a Moomba will come to your rescue and attack the enemies.

Gilgamesh - During disc three, if you've already gained Odin, Gilgamesh will begin to appear randomly. Like Odin, you won't be able to control him. Gilgamesh, however, isn't just restricted to showing up at the start of a battle, and he can also appear during boss fights. Gilgamesh will use a separate attack based on which of his four weapons he decides to use.

michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 michelle_moraes

he is still a GF if you read the guide, just cant be control

here is a list :)

Secondary Guardian Forces

Odin - Once inside the Centra Ruins, find and defeat Odin. Once you do, he'll join your party. Odin isn't a Guardian Force that you can control: he'll randomly appear during the start of some battles. Odin will appear roughly in one out of every ten (non boss) battles and instantly destroy the enemies on the field by slicing them in half with his Zantetsuken.

Phoenix - Phoenix can be summoned only by using the Phoenix Pinion in battle. Once you've summoned Phoenix, there's a chance he'll show up when your parties in trouble.

Boko the Chocobo - After solving at least one of the Chocobo Forest puzzles, use a Gysahl Green during a battle. Boko the Chocobo will appear and attack the enemies.

MiniMog - By using Mog's Amulet, a GF can learn the MiniMog ability. When he's called upon, MiniMog will appear and dance. This will restore all of your GF's HP. This becomes more and more useful as you go further into the game.

Moomba - Use a Friendship item during a battle and a Moomba will come to your rescue and attack the enemies.

Gilgamesh - During disc three, if you've already gained Odin, Gilgamesh will begin to appear randomly. Like Odin, you won't be able to control him. Gilgamesh, however, isn't just restricted to showing up at the start of a battle, and he can also appear during boss fights. Gilgamesh will use a separate attack based on which of his four weapons he decides to use.

Mar044

I know, but I mentioned the GFs we control, that's why I put a link for the GFs that are usable. But that's alright then! 

Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mar044
then we pretend that i said ff7 :)
TheManWithAPS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheManWithAPS2
Member since 2005 • 2378 Posts
I like Diablos, Ifrit and Doomtrain. Diablos and Ifrit for the animations and Doomtrain 'cause of all the status effects.
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 queen_valentine

My favorite Guadian Force is Alexander, followed close by Leviathan.... I just love their animations and designs.michelle_moraes

Alexander is awesome - this is a little OT but I like that scene in FFIX where Alexander is fighting Bahamut, it's so cool. You saying Alexander just kinda reminded me of that, hahaha:P

greatfluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 greatfluffy
Member since 2005 • 2062 Posts
My favorite GF was Odin i just love when he easy defeat the annoying eneimes
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IpodHero176

My favorite GF was Odin i just love when he easy defeat the annoying eneimesgreatfluffy

I liked Odin, but I didn't like how if  he came or not.

Mar044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mar044
odin is to bad to come at the will of the user, he kinda comes and goes when he wants, to bad he was killed later on in ff8, but still a cool char.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IpodHero176

odin is to bad to come at the will of the user, he kinda comes and goes when he wants, to bad he was killed later on in ff8, but still a cool char.Mar044

I forgot  that. He was cool. I wonder how they're going to make in in XIII.

queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 queen_valentine

odin is to bad to come at the will of the user, he kinda comes and goes when he wants, to bad he was killed later on in ff8, but still a cool char.Mar044

Yea, but then you get Gilgamesh! And he was pretty sweet... 

ZhenDash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZhenDash
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
My first pick is Doomtrain! Look at all of those abnormal status that it gives to most enemies! And my second pick is Eden, Long animation, Nice sound effects, and 60,000 damage
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 michelle_moraes

[QUOTE="Mar044"]odin is to bad to come at the will of the user, he kinda comes and goes when he wants, to bad he was killed later on in ff8, but still a cool char.queen_valentine

Yeah, Gilgamesh is always something, isn't he? :lol:

The worse is when his attacks doesn't cause anything... arhhh. 

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IpodHero176
[QUOTE="queen_valentine"]

[QUOTE="Mar044"]odin is to bad to come at the will of the user, he kinda comes and goes when he wants, to bad he was killed later on in ff8, but still a cool char.michelle_moraes

Yeah, Gilgamesh is always something, isn't he? :lol:

The worse is when his attacks doesn't cause anything... arhhh. 

That does stink:P

jrnhanie0310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jrnhanie0310
Member since 2006 • 15177 Posts
Bahamut and Odin
Rensje88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rensje88
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IpodHero176

Bahamut and Odinjrnhanie0310

Bahamut rocks:D

michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 michelle_moraes

Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.Rensje88

Yeah, it is pretty good when great summons aren't way hard to come by... unlike Knights of the Round! :P 

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IpodHero176

[QUOTE="Rensje88"]Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.michelle_moraes

Yeah, it is pretty good when great summons aren't way hard to come by... unlike Knights of the Round! :P 

lol

michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 michelle_moraes
[QUOTE="michelle_moraes"]

[QUOTE="Rensje88"]Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.IpodHero176

lol

The worst is that I went to all the trouble to get this summon, but only AFTER I "accidently" defeated Emerald... :lol: 

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IpodHero176
[QUOTE="IpodHero176"][QUOTE="michelle_moraes"]

[QUOTE="Rensje88"]Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.michelle_moraes

lol

The worst is that I went to all the trouble to get this summon, but only AFTER I "accidently" defeated Emerald... :lol: 

Hahahaha:lol:

serpentaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 serpentaurus
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
[QUOTE="IpodHero176"][QUOTE="michelle_moraes"]

lol

Accidently, you mean THAT Caith Sit limit break?

plg2307

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 plg2307
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts
[QUOTE="michelle_moraes"][QUOTE="IpodHero176"][QUOTE="michelle_moraes"]

[QUOTE="Rensje88"]Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.serpentaurus

lol

Accidently, you mean THAT Caith Sit limit break?

Or 7777Hp trick, it does help a lot lol

My favorite are leviathan and shiva, for the great animation and style. And knight of the round was a pain ... useful but a pain, way too long. I was hitting it once than miming the whole battle. Well I had time to make dinner in the meanwhile :P

michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 michelle_moraes
[QUOTE="michelle_moraes"][QUOTE="IpodHero176"][QUOTE="michelle_moraes"]

[QUOTE="Rensje88"]Shiva and Leviathan, hands down. Both not too hard to come by, but very cool to look at and with nice damage to boot. Shiva is just my all-time favourite Final Fantasy character, I guess, and especially so in FFVIII.serpentaurus

lol

Accidently, you mean THAT Caith Sit limit break?

No, I meant that I just went there to fight against it to see how it works, how hard the boss was. I just ended up lucky enough to endure the entire battle using everything I had. 

langrisser2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 langrisser2005
Member since 2004 • 2285 Posts
Playing Final Fantasy VIII right now, acquiring the GF's 1 by 1 is fun. At the moment the most useful GF in battle would have to be Shiva, she never gets old. Carbuncle is cute though, love to have one as a pet. We'll see who's my fav when I catch'em all.
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 queen_valentine

Playing Final Fantasy VIII right now, acquiring the GF's 1 by 1 is fun. At the moment the most useful GF in battle would have to be Shiva, she never gets old. Carbuncle is cute though, love to have one as a pet. We'll see who's my fav when I catch'em all.langrisser2005

I love Carbuncle! Although I wasn't a big fan of VIII, I did like its sidequests...getting the GFs is fun. It's funny 'cause after getting all those GFs, the first three - Ifrit, Quezacotl, and Shiva - still prove to be the most useful. :P I also really liked Doomtrain and Cerberus. 

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IpodHero176
Shiva and ifrit are my top 2 favorites.
GunBladeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GunBladeMan
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts
Cerberus, mostly because of the kick arse animation sequence
sweet_ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sweet_ride
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts
hmm probably doomtrain and ifrit
Sprigain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sprigain
Member since 2006 • 3575 Posts
bahamut and odin
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
This brings back memories but anyway I would have to go with Diablos or Bahamut. I guess my third pick would be Ifrit.
Strathdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Strathdor
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts
Mine would have to be Leviathan because of the relation to water and how powerful the sea can really be that people would not expect it to have.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 IpodHero176
Shiva, Bahamut, Ifrit, and Cerberus.
ShinAkuma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points