crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 crushgoil
Member since 2006 • 2554 Posts

It has now been quite a long time since our team battle ended, and I was thinking that we should really start up something new. Are people still leaning toward a puzzles/ riddles competition? Or do we have some new ideas now (since we have some new members)? Basically, I'm looking to create a new competitive thread where people can earn points and eventually win (so the game has to have a sort of ending point). Hopefully this can start up reasonably soon, but we have to have an idea that enough people are happy with so that the thread will flourish :)

(oh, and the game should be SE based.)

Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lady_Bahamut
Member since 2007 • 1224 Posts
I can't think of anything, besides, I like the idea of trivia with an individual point based system ^^
latte428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 latte428
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
I like the idea of the trivia also. Individual or teams is fine with me...
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts
I had loads of fun with the team battle.
menniss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 menniss
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts
I have never heard of this done before so I am not sure even though it sounds like a ton of fun. I think it would be more challenging if it were individual battles and less if it were team.
TheManWithAPS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheManWithAPS2
Member since 2005 • 2378 Posts
Riddles sound fun... even though I am terrible at them... and whenever I get the answer someone has always posted it before me :P.
shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shewolf1961
Member since 2003 • 3878 Posts

I had loads of fun with the team battle.Cronaroth

That was fun, wasn't it?:P I'm been looking forward to a round 2 on that one.:lol:

I'm not good at riddles either! Trivia would be fun, but would it be on one SE game or all. If all, that could get difficult, and just on one could leave out the ones who haven't played it. Interesting to think about though.:D

darkcloud6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 darkcloud6
Member since 2007 • 4685 Posts
that looked like heaps of fun, i wish i was in it :) you should totally do another one
Avatar image for queen_valentine
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 queen_valentine
Member since 2004 • 5870 Posts

I had loads of fun with the team battle.Cronaroth

That was fun until YOU KILLED ME! >_>

We should have a "Team Battle - Revenge Edition" :P

Actually, that's not a bad idea....

XD

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 crushgoil
hmm.. okay.. So we're still divided between a rematch of the team battle.. and a new individual riddles (etc.) game.. I really wouldn't mind overseeing both, but we'd need people coming up with the riddles and trivia (in that scenario) who weren't going to participate and try to get points. Without some help I'll only be able to manage one at a time (plus I'm not sure how many people would take the time to play both at the same time) so we'd then have to choose which type of game people would like to see first.
cloud31blunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 cloud31blunt
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
I say team battle with new teams as i missed out last time cause i joined after it started.
Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lady_Bahamut
I stick with my oridginal post and say trivia >_>
latte428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 latte428
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts

I came in way too late for any of these games previously :(

I like the idea of trivia also!

hrimthursar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 hrimthursar
Member since 2003 • 653 Posts
trivia is always fun
shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shewolf1961
Doesn't really matter to me, the trivia sound like fun too.
Kenshin18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kenshin18
Member since 2003 • 764 Posts
I like the trivia idea too. If we settle on this, I dont mind thinkin of some questions for the game. I just need to know if it'll be on one or all Squaresoft/Square-Enix titles. Could be kinda interestin to see who's got the most knowldge on one of our favorite game makers.
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 crushgoil

To have it last appropriately the trivia and riddles and such would have to be on all SE games. I'd appreciate your help Reno, if we collaborated trivia ideas I'm sure that would lighten the load enough for it to be feasible. I was also considering making images, of some sort, for milestones in the trivia. Some sort of award for getting 5 right, 10 right, 15 right.. etc. Would people like me to make these?

Secondly, if we were to use the exact same rules as the last time we played the Team Battle, I wouldn't mind organising and managing that as well. With people updating the HPs themselves, then I just have to be available to moderate and make drops, which isn't a problem. Does this sound alright?

IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

Doesn't really matter to me, the trivia sound like fun too.shewolf1961

It does. I say we do a trivia thread.

Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lady_Bahamut

To have it last appropriately the trivia and riddles and such would have to be on all SE games. I'd appreciate your help Reno, if we collaborated trivia ideas I'm sure that would lighten the load enough for it to be feasible. I was also considering making images, of some sort, for milestones in the trivia. Some sort of award for getting 5 right, 10 right, 15 right.. etc. Would people like me to make these?

Secondly, if we were to use the exact same rules as the last time we played the Team Battle, I wouldn't mind organising and managing that as well. With people updating the HPs themselves, then I just have to be available to moderate and make drops, which isn't a problem. Does this sound alright?

crushgoil

I don't know how the Team Battle thing worked, so you'd have to explain that to me >_>

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crushgoil
Please look to the Team Battle Arena for a refresher of the previous round's rules. They'll be the first few posts made in the thread.
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts

i know! in my union, there is a competition thread. someone is the leader of a quiz and posts questions. then they say 1-3 points depending on difficulty. the first person to post the correct answer gets the points. then when they reach a certain amount they win! there could be limited participation like 20 people. It can be about SE in general.

BTW if this takes off i demand a place!

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 crushgoil

i know! in my union, there is a competition thread. someone is the leader of a quiz and posts questions. then they say 1-3 points depending on difficulty. the first person to post the correct answer gets the points. then when they reach a certain amount they win! there could be limited participation like 20 people. It can be about SE in general.

BTW if this takes off i demand a place!

johngebreadman

oooo that sounds brilliant! Except I don't just want to be a copy-cat.. I'd feel really bad..

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 johngebreadman

ask darkcloud6 if you can use it, it was his idea. if you want to see what its like ill find a link, im sure he wont mind...

ffx quiz

as you can see he stole the idea from a union without asking so i dont see why you shouldnt

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crushgoil

ask darkcloud6 if you can use it, it was his idea. if you want to see what its like ill find a link, im sure he wont mind...

ffx quiz

as you can see he stole the idea from a union without asking so i dont see why you shouldnt

johngebreadman

I know some people in this union are also members of yours though, so I'd like the game here to be somewhat different.

I'm thinking that each question or riddle, etc. should be worth the same.. and maybe we'll have a winner each month? Rather than having a topic? Someone who got the most number correct in a month would win? I was also thinking that there would be one question or riddle posted each day, no more, no less? That way it'll be easy to plan out, and consistent, so that we won't have to wait for someone to get the correct answer in order to move on...? These are just ideas, obviously. It's really up to the people who are interested in playing :)

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 johngebreadman
im interested in whatever, btw ill be in the union a bit more now. i sorta stopped coming online due to exams, but i dont have any more for a few weeks now. i think the person running it shouldnt be involved in the game, unless the person who got the question right asks the next one?
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crushgoil

im interested in whatever, btw ill be in the union a bit more now. i sorta stopped coming online due to exams, but i dont have any more for a few weeks now. i think the person running it shouldnt be involved in the game, unless the person who got the question right asks the next one?johngebreadman

I really don't mind running the games here, and not participating. But that's only if people would like me to be the one contributing the questions. If someone else wants to give me a hand (still interested Reno?) then we could have more variety of questions, but whoever helped in a month couldn't participate. The helper could even change each month so that more people can participate?

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 johngebreadman
maybe a month is a little long, for non participation, maybe a week? also i can help with the ff questions
Kenshin18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kenshin18
Member since 2003 • 764 Posts

crushgoil

No problem :). I'll try and think of some stuff and I'll let you know what I come up with. I think it'd be cool if you did make award images. Somethin we could post in our blog or something.

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 crushgoil
Would people rather have awards for the winner each month? or for reaching milestones such as having answered 10 correctly? Or are there other ideas for awards?
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 crushgoil

I've made a few quick examples.. I could obviously make them look better than this, these are preliminary:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts

[QUOTE="Cronaroth"]I had loads of fun with the team battle.queen_valentine

That was fun until YOU KILLED ME! >_>

We should have a "Team Battle - Revenge Edition" :P

Actually, that's not a bad idea....

XD

or how about-we band together XD :P

langrisser2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 langrisser2005
Member since 2004 • 2285 Posts

I do think the trvia idea is a cool idea! It can be a light game of such where everybody can contribute although I say we still should have the Team Battle as well! Especially to those who haven't played it yet!

We should get a count on those possibly willing to play the Team Battle again! How many of ya's wanna do it!

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 johngebreadman
i think we should just stick with the quiz/trivia
shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shewolf1961

I do think the trvia idea is a cool idea! It can be a light game of such where everybody can contribute although I say we still should have the Team Battle as well! Especially to those who haven't played it yet!

We should get a count on those possibly willing to play the Team Battle again! How many of ya's wanna do it!

langrisser2005

I'm always up for another team battle!:P but it's Yuna's call. I just hope that if we do another team battle Yuna remembers my suggestion about the mercenaries.:P

But a trivia game is cool too!:D Whatever everybody wants. It's a shame the poll isn't working, then Yuna would have a better idea of what everyone wanted to do.:(

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 crushgoil
[QUOTE="langrisser2005"]

shewolf1961

I'm always up for another team battle!:P but it's Yuna's call. I just hope that if we do another team battle Yuna remembers my suggestion about the mercenaries.:P

But a trivia game is cool too!:D Whatever everybody wants. It's a shame the poll isn't working, then Yuna would have a better idea of what everyone wanted to do.:(

Remind me of the exact changes you wanted again??

shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shewolf1961
[QUOTE="shewolf1961"][QUOTE="langrisser2005"]

crushgoil

Remind me of the exact changes you wanted again??

I suggested in the next battle team game, mercenaries be used by definition of what a mercenary is.;)

After the teams are set up, they start the battle. They get a full 24 or 48 hours to get the game started. After this opening show, the mercenaries can enter the fray. Anyone wanting to be a mercenary enters by offering their services for hire. They can not take an action until they have been hired by a team.

Then any team member can contact that mercenary through PM and hire that mercenary. The team tells the possible mercenary what they want them to do. The mercenary has the right to decline any offers. Once a mercenary has choosen to work for a team then they are on that team until, one that team is killed off, the end of the game, or if the mercenary deceides to defect to another team. Yes, a team can hire a mercenary away from another team.:lol: The team members, will have hopefully discussed between themselves what their strategy is and what they want their mercenaries to do.

Some mercenaries may be hired to heal only while others are hired for hurting. The team leaders can direct what the mercenaries are suppose to do. Of course the mercenaries are bound by all rules in the prior game of not being able to pickup drops unless otherwise stated, no magic, etc. and are limited to their hitting and healing powers. Only this time I think instead of 500HP for both heal or hurt, it should be 500HP hurt and 300HP heal.

Ring a bell now?:P It's been a while.:D I had to think about it myself to remember everything, and I hope I remember it all.:P

I also want to let you know, that if you choose to go with the trivia first, I would be happy to write up some questions for it. I have the official guides for both FFXII and Star Ocean 3. I can write up three levels of question. Easy, medium, difficult.:D

crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 crushgoil

Ah.. right! The only problem I have with that is: what if one team hires 10 mercenaries? That'd be pretty unfair.

Yeah, anyone can help provide trivia questions, they just cannot answer for that period :)

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts
It looks like we are pretty divided between trivia and team battle. I for one am with Nel, I was totally looking forward to another round of good clean duelling!! :) However, maybe we should consider the idea of going back and forth - do a trivia thread next, with a time limit, then another team battle, then trivia, and so on? What say you guys? Then everyone gets to do something they like! BTW, i think the avatars and tags for the trivia idea are great!! It is a nice idea that those who participate would have something visual to honour their commitment :)
shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shewolf1961

It looks like we are pretty divided between trivia and team battle. I for one am with Nel, I was totally looking forward to another round of good clean duelling!! :) However, maybe we should consider the idea of going back and forth - do a trivia thread next, with a time limit, then another team battle, then trivia, and so on? What say you guys? Then everyone gets to do something they like! BTW, i think the avatars and tags for the trivia idea are great!! It is a nice idea that those who participate would have something visual to honour their commitment :)SymonDezyn

That's an excellent idea!:) I'm with Quistis!:D

Ah.. right! The only problem I have with that is: what if one team hires 10 mercenaries? That'd be pretty unfair.

Yeah, anyone can help provide trivia questions, they just cannot answer for that period crushgoil

Well that's the whole point. If the teams know up front that they have to hire the mercenaries, then they'll work harder and hopefully put more effort into their team. Not leaving their teammates stranded and alone. This way if a teammate(s) can't post for a few days or whatever, the others can hire mercenaries to take up the slack and not feel alone. If you remember, we had that happen the last time.:( I felt sorry for the teams that lost members. I know those who were absent had very good reasons and it couldn't be helped, but the old way in regard with mercenaries couldn't help them the way this could.;)

Not to mention the game would move along faster. All's fair in war. There's always one side that has more warriors than the other. In olden days, the hiring of mercenaries was a common practice to better the kingdom's odds of winning. But to answer your question about what if one team hire 10 mercenaries? Well, that would be all part of the game.

All Teams would start out equal. It's up to them to better their odds. There is nothing unfair about that. I would also add that once a mercenary has been hired, then that mercenary has to declare in their first action post which team has hired them. If a mercenary wants to defect, they need to declare it in a post. Mercenaries themselves can be netural and hire out their services the way I did if they want. This way everything is in the open except the actual hiring process.:D

Let me put it this way. In the last game we had 6 teams and it took a couple of months before that game was over. The next time around what if there are say 10 teams. By hiring mercenaries the way I have suggested will make the game move faster. Because once a team is killed, those mercenaries are available for hire again as well as those teammates whose team got killed off. There is also nothing against the rules that if a team does have say 10 mercenaries, for two or three of the other teams to work together against the team with the better odds. Evening the odds. Of course that way can always backfire on them down the road, but it's all in the strategy of playing and being aware of what is happening in the arena.:D Celes and her team was very good at this. Just ask her.;) Although in the long run it didn't help her to win, but her team was very organized and they talked with each other planning their strategy. Which helped them early on.:lol:

I also think it would add favor to the game if members who didn't want to join the battle by either being on a team or being a mercenary, would be allowed one post a day to cheer on their favorite team as a spectator.:D Just food for thought.:P

Okay, I'll work up some questions from those two games for the trivia game.:D

Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lady_Bahamut
I think trivia should go first!
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 johngebreadman
ya i would prefer trivia because that mercanery hing confused me (it doesnt take much!)
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 crushgoil
I need to know what sort of graphic awards people would like to receive before I open the thread. Monthly? Weekly? Number of questions answered? A distinction such as "trivia master" instead of the number of correct answers?
Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lady_Bahamut
I think a weekly/monthly award for number of correct answers would be best.
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crushgoil

Any further questions about the trivia? The questions will begin tomorrow (Mountain Standard Time).

As far as the team battle goes, it requires further discussion, but I'm happy to begin a new round of that once the trivia is running smoothly and teams have been made. Might want to start communicating with people about which teams you'd like to be on ;) Three people per team again?

shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shewolf1961

Any further questions about the trivia? The questions will begin tomorrow (Mountain Standard Time).

As far as the team battle goes, it requires further discussion, but I'm happy to begin a new round of that once the trivia is running smoothly and teams have been made. Might want to start communicating with people about which teams you'd like to be on ;) Three people per team again?

crushgoil

I thought three per team worked great the last time, not see any reason to change it.:D

Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lady_Bahamut
I'd be interested in the team battle ^^ I might not be any good though XD
crushgoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 crushgoil

Okay, let's get teams organized for the battle arena!

Three members per team. Each team must be full in order for it to count. Please name your teams.

Team 1:
Name:
Members: _____, _____, _______

Team 2:
Name:

Team 3:
Name:

Team 4:
Name:

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 johngebreadman
ill go wiht anyone im not bothered who at all
shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shewolf1961

Okay, let's get teams organized for the battle arena!

Three members per team. Each team must be full in order for it to count. Please name your teams.

Team 1:
Name:

Team 2:
Name:

Team 3:
Name:

Team 4:
Name:

crushgoil

Just a thought! You might want to start a new thread and repost the old rules from the original game to be discussed as to what worked and what didn't. What needs to be changed, etc. And the first post could be the sign up sheet that you can edit as teams are being formed.:D

I almost forgot about this thread because the trivia game started so I figured you were going to do that first before coming back to this until I thought I see if anything new was up.

It's just a thought. If you want to keep it here, then I'll let some of the one who played the last game know where they can go to find the sign up sheet.:D

Avatar image for queen_valentine
queen_valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 queen_valentine
Member since 2004 • 5870 Posts

I'll participate in the team battle arena if the Mercenaries portion of it is done how it was meant to be (and originally was supposed to be) as a free-for-all. No point in having wild-card mercenaries if they can't act out of their own free will.

Only one merc. per team FTL. Not only does that limit how many mercs could play in one day (if, say, there are only four teams and 3 mercs have already played and the fourth one wanted to help one that's already been helped) but it makes it less interesting.

The purpose of mercs., as it was when it was originally thought of, was to throw off the game and act as upsets.